Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

ALIExpress ... BS?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

ALIExpress ... BS?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-23, 10:10 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
Originally Posted by prairiepedaler
Yes, I have also read plenty on Chinese business dealings and it's pathological pragmatism. Western (i.e. high trust) societies certainly differ from China. In China, loyalty is applied only to the point that it pays to be loyal and not an iota beyond. Beyond that, anything goes. In China, trust exists only in the immediate familial realm or by the very closest of friendship ties.

I'm going to pass on the seatpost, or anything else, via Ali. A few posters of virtuous signal in here convinced me of that. Thanks to them.
Pathetic attempt at fostering dissent. You misread a simple advertisement and when found out the error was on you, continued on with the charade regardless.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 08-29-23, 10:23 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,735 Times in 975 Posts
I'd say, it depends. I haven't heard of any chinese made electric bikes bursting into flame, but their TOTL electric automobiles seem to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOA7qKMcjcE
OK. Plenty of Teslas catch fire here in the US too. GM had to recall the entire production run of Chevy Bolts because of fires. You have to remember that China's EV market is WAY bigger than the US. In 2022, 5.9 million EV's were sold in China vs 900k sold in the US. A factor of 6X bigger. So it's not surprising that they have more lithium battery fires than us.
Old 08-30-23, 03:26 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18425 Post(s)
Liked 15,582 Times in 7,337 Posts
The site wasn't obviously clear. Many European sites are and no problems with them. But, thanks for the valuable contribution.
You’re welcome!
Old 08-30-23, 05:07 AM
PDKL45

Bikes: Merida Speeder

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 115 Posts
Aliexpress is fine for certain things. But that pricing thing is silly, it's just to spoof the algorithm (it's awful anyway) and to generate clicks. There will be an UNO seatpost for $17 or something like that, and some will have it as $16.72 with free shipping, others will go for $11.89 with $5.23 shipping, and then there will be guys who will advertise the seatpost for $3.56. When you click on it, you will see it's $3.56 for two Ti saddle bolts and $17.67 for the seatpost. It's a mild annoyance and I always go to one of the guys selling for $16.72 with free shipping, because they haven't wasted my time, however mildly.
Likes For PDKL45:
Old 08-30-23, 08:32 AM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 926 Times in 448 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
If it is worth it to you to spend the time, energy, and money to be sure you are getting cheated, go ahead.
Isn't omniscience wonderful?

In general, I think ragging on China about cheap crap is prejudiced and un-helpful.

And ragging on buying from China for political reasons is pointless and silly, IMO. Looking down on people for saving money is a position of great privilege, in modern terminology.
Old 08-30-23, 09:34 AM
ynggrsshppr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've spent hundreds of dollars on AE including a groupset, a carbon wheelset, chains, saddles and stems. I've only gotten maybe two items that didn't perform up to expectations and that was for the very cheap stuff that I clearly should've spent more on. One of those was a $15 soldering iron that didn't solder and the other was a $2 multitool that bent upon first use.

Some stuff can be counterfeit but it should be obvious if one reads the listing. Just read and look carefully.
Old 08-30-23, 09:45 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,701 Times in 2,521 Posts
Closing for moderator review.

We don't allow political comments in the main forum. Most of you knew this already and some of you went ahead and made political comments anyway. Disappointing.
Likes For unterhausen: