Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

N-3, N+1, Ugh...

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

N-3, N+1, Ugh...

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-15, 07:47 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
N-3, N+1, Ugh...

Help me. I'm thinking about selling three bikes to buy one as a replacement for commuting.

Here's the logic:

My wife and I are relocating to within 8 miles of my work. Yay! I can now scoot easily in by bike most days.

The new house has a smaller garage and we have 10 bikes. Six are mine. Here's the problem.

I'm guessing that I'd want to commute on a disc-equipped road bike, which I don't have. Since I'll be riding more frequently for work, I'll not have the same need for recreational "variety" in my bikes. You see where I'm going...

I've decided to sell the carbon racer, the '82 Team, and the '77 S-10S to buy a cyclocross bike with disc brakes. It'll be my main commuter, with fenders and wider tires, rack, custom light mount, etc.

The benefits are obvious - less bikes to handle in the move, less storage problems in the new house, and a bike that is well suited to daily riding duties here.

I should be happy about this. Why am I sad?
Old 06-10-15, 07:54 AM
lasauge 
Pedalin' Erry Day

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked 367 Times in 198 Posts
Sounds to me like you're throwing money at a problem that may not exist. Why not just put a rack and fenders on your S10S and call it good?
Old 06-10-15, 08:02 AM
GordoTrek

Bikes: 1962 Carlton Franco-Suisse Custom,1968 Raleigh DL-1/Tourist, 1971 Holdsworth Professional, 1973 Holdsworth Mistral,1973 Raleigh Gran Sport,1974 Raleigh Grand Prix, 1993 Trek 2200 Composite, 2011 Trek 7.3FX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by lasauge
Sounds to me like you're throwing money at a problem that may not exist. Why not just put a rack and fenders on your S10S and call it good?
+1, this is a great opportunity to have some fun with an existing bike, you've identified a need, now fix it with bikes you have on hand. Or look on CL for a bike close to what you want and maybe N-1, N+1 to accomplish, sounds a little drastic. doesn't the new house have a basement? i got real creative in my basement in order to store my stuff. my 9 bikes, 2 wife, 1 son, and 4 more in the garage.
Old 06-10-15, 08:03 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Well, I'm all for thinning the herd. It's a nuisance to have too many bikes around. But I would not sell a bike I like while planning to buy a bike I might like. Or might not like.

The Cyclocross bike you have in mind... it can take a rack and fenders?
Old 06-10-15, 08:04 AM
fender1

Bikes: I hate bikes!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 710 Times in 233 Posts
Originally Posted by lasauge
+1. I had a disc eqipped, Salsa La Cruz for commuting and sold it. I found that the discs were overkill for regular road riding (even in the wet). The brakes worked well enough (avid bb7 road version) but they went out of adjustment frequently. Adjusting them became a regular occurence and when they would drag on the pads, it would bug me. I would just use an exisitng bike that you know works, make a few adjustments and sell off what you don't want to keep.

If you just want to get a new bike, I am all for that too!
Old 06-10-15, 08:15 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

My S-10S already has a rack and fenders. It could work as a commuter, no question. I only run Pasela 1 1/8" on it right now.

I'm more concerned about he quantity of bikes, and whether or not I really need so many bikes any more. If I'm commuting regularly, I'll have my fill of riding, and won't want to jump on a carbon racer to blaze away on a Saturday. Just a hunch.

For Rudi's question, I don't have a particular bike in mind. I wouldn't shop before I had the cash in hand to purchase, hence the immediate concern about whether to start selling bikes. My wife would support me either way, if that were a question.

I don't really want any new bike, I'm just trying to make a practical overall plan for how to handle this life change.
Old 06-10-15, 08:18 AM
jmeb

Bikes: 1966 Carlton, 197X MKM, 1983 Trek 620, 1988 Schwinn High Sierra, 1995 DBR Axis Ti, 1999 Waterford, 2016 DBR Release, 2017 Surly Travelers Check

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I think a disc-equipped modern ride has some benefits for commuting. Very reliable, great braking in rain etc. A Surly Straggler would be a good commute candidate with lots of braze-ons, not-to-pricey, clearance for miles.

But unless you really want a new bike I don't see a point.* I personally find having a rotation of bikes to ride to work a nice motivator to keep on riding (but my commute is a bit shorter at only 5 miles each way.) You could ride the Saratoga on Monday and leave extra clothes at work, ride racier bikes a day or two, etc etc.

* Unless space is really an issue. But I'm a guy sharing a 1 bedroom with a SO with half a basement to store my (have to count...Trek 1, Trek 2, Schwinn, Diamondback, Raleigh, Carlton, Miyata...) 7 bikes plus her 2.
Old 06-10-15, 08:29 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4237 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
I wouldn't do anything just yet. You might find that you don't like the grind of everyday commuting and really want to be able to blast away some Saturdays and miss your CF bike. I'd say get the S10S set up how you want it for commuting and give that a go for a while before making any changes.

Old 06-10-15, 08:32 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
I too rotate bikes. My commute is almost 11 miles. I push every one. When I need to take clothes in or it might rain, I use my RockHopper that has a rack and fenders. The rest of the time I will ride the Pinarello. At some point, I expect to settle on a Trek 610 I am working on. The RockHopper will get the Marzocchi fork with XT hub hanging on the wall with the BB7 and loose the fenders, maybe the rack. The Pin will join the 'nago as week end drivers.
Old 06-10-15, 08:35 AM
fender1

Bikes: I hate bikes!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 710 Times in 233 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
My S-10S already has a rack and fenders. It could work as a commuter, no question. I only run Pasela 1 1/8" on it right now.

I'm more concerned about he quantity of bikes, and whether or not I really need so many bikes any more. If I'm commuting regularly, I'll have my fill of riding, and won't want to jump on a carbon racer to blaze away on a Saturday. Just a hunch.

For Rudi's question, I don't have a particular bike in mind. I wouldn't shop before I had the cash in hand to purchase, hence the immediate concern about whether to start selling bikes. My wife would support me either way, if that were a question.

I don't really want any new bike, I'm just trying to make a practical overall plan for how to handle this life change.
FWIW, I limit myself to 3 road bikes. I just find when I have too much stuff, it take away from the enjoyment for me. I am not as interested in "project management" as I am in riding the bikes I have. YMMV.
Old 06-10-15, 08:59 AM
triathloner

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I have a bike repair business as a side to make some extra cash, I do plenty of wrenching. I can tell you I hate working on discs, sometimes they are jus so finicky. Upgrade your current brakes to good calipers if needed, and buy good brake pads like kool stop. They cost a little more but give good stopping even in wet conditions.
Old 06-10-15, 09:31 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7353 Post(s)
Liked 2,483 Times in 1,441 Posts
You asked if you need these bikes. Few people truly need more than one. But many of us are lucky to be able to afford more than one without much sacrifice, so it's not a bad idea to have a few. @fender1 expresses well the problem of having too many. Maybe six are too many for you, but if you are sentimentally attached to a bike, don't be hasty to get rid of it. I was thinking maybe I should get rid of my McLean recently. Sunday, I took a 50 mile ride on it and realized that it is one of the closest-to-perfect bikes I own as well as offering a lot of sentimental memories.

My wife and I justify having too many bikes by calling some of them guest bikes. It's not often that we loan a bike to a guest, but it's nice that we can do it. Another benefit is that if one has a flat tire or other problem, we can just jump on the next one, and the urgency to repair is reduced.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 06-10-15, 09:34 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,410 Times in 910 Posts
I am 1000% behind you. Sell, sell, sell!

Order a Wraith Paycheck disc, and build it for commuting.
In fact, I believe Adam & Co. are doing the building now, as well.
I have seen a couple with fenders and racks.
Get a spare set of wheels for riding like you did with us in NJ.
The same bike can easily do it all.
You may end up getting rid of a fourth.
Old 06-10-15, 09:35 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,410 Times in 910 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm
Well, I'm all for thinning the herd. It's a nuisance to have too many bikes around. But I would not sell a bike I like while planning to buy a bike I might like. Or might not like.

The Cyclocross bike you have in mind... it can take a rack and fenders?
If he wants it to...... Wraith!
Old 06-10-15, 09:59 AM
DiegoFrogs

Bikes: '77 Centurion "Pro Tour"; '67 Carlton "The Flyer"; 1984 Ross MTB (stored at parents' house)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 61 Posts
Congratulations on getting your wife to give up three of her bikes for you!
Old 06-10-15, 10:26 AM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
A couple random observations:

You know the bikes you have, and like them. Getting rid of them is more tangible than obtaining a new bike that you may or may not like as much. Tough to know as you haven't owned it for a while and ridden it a bunch.

In my experience, the idea of getting rid of a bike is often harder to deal with than actually letting it go. It gets easier to handle when you see it go to a new owner who is totally stoked to get it.

Me, I would probably commute on something you have, maybe sell one or two but not the go fast bike, as you might still feel the urge. After a year of commuting you can re-assess. ymmv
Old 06-10-15, 10:47 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

I really appreciate all of the thoughts you guys have given. I needed someone against whom to bounce this idea before I do something that I'll regret. I think that I will stick with the S-10S for now, and see how it does in really yucky weather (it has Kool Stop continentals on the front centerpulls).

If we can get our 25 year old daughter to move out as part of this relocation, two of the bikes will go. (;
Old 06-10-15, 11:19 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4237 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
If we can get our 25 year old daughter to move out as part of this relocation, two of the bikes will go. (;
Plus, you'll gain an extra room to put all your bikes in.

Old 06-10-15, 11:20 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

The S-10S is a perfect commuter bike. It's not too heavy; its handling is sure and predictable; it has room for racks, fenders, and whatever else you need.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 06-10-15, 11:21 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

You can ride just about any kind of bike eight miles. On fair weather days, you can pack light and ride an un-be-fendered bike.

Old 06-10-15, 11:29 AM
simmonsgc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
My wife and I justify having too many bikes by calling some of them guest bikes. It's not often that we loan a bike to a guest, but it's nice that we can do it. Another benefit is that if one has a flat tire or other problem, we can just jump on the next one, and the urgency to repair is reduced.
Barring physical storage limits...exactly this. Words of wisdom from Tom, as usual. As a matter of fact, my wife had an unexpected visit from an out of town friend TODAY, and texted me she aired up the tires on one of our "guest" bikes, and off they went.
Old 06-10-15, 11:33 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Originally Posted by himespau
Plus, you'll gain an extra room to put all your bikes in.
If I ever brought a bike or bike part into the living spaces of our home, two certainties would ensue: (1) my funeral and (2) a homicide investigation with my wife as prime suspect. She's resourceful and very smart. The body would never be found...
Old 06-10-15, 11:35 AM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 356 Posts
Lol @RobbieTunes.

But I'd probably just keep the S10S a commuter, too. And ditch the carbon, if I felt bad about having too many bikes I'm not riding.

And your wife only has four bikes to your six? She needs to up her game
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Old 06-10-15, 12:00 PM
Velocivixen

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 26 Posts
I understand your dilemma. I tend to get "connected" to a particular bike, not because of the bike itself, but because of the work & thought I put into it. The thought of selling makes me feel sad, but honestly once sold I don't even think about it any more. I'm down to 3 mixtes & a 3 speed. I have more space and am not anguishing because one of many bikes is not being ridden.

I've saved enough for a Surly Straggler with discs & 650b wheels. Just waiting until early July to see what next year's color will be.

My suggestion is to sell 2 of the 3 you mentioned, keep one you like best that could meet your needs, try the ride for awhile on that bike. Then decide whether you need or want another bike. It's alright to want a bike. We can only ride one bike at a time and variety is a nice "problem" to have. If you want disc brakes then try them. If you decide against....you know the drill.
Old 06-10-15, 02:09 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 6,717 Times in 2,614 Posts
Phil, I also think that you should sell the carbon racer and the '82 Team, keeping the S10-S for commuting duties, at least initially. If you find that S10-S isn't up to the task, then you might consider other options. Of course, I fully embrace N + 1 as a lifestyle, so keeping them all and getting more is usually my approach.

My main commuter for the last couple of years has been a '71 Raleigh Int'l outfitted with fenders, dyno hub and lights, rear rack, front basket. I would put studded tires on it in the winter. Then, early this winter, after first outfitting it with those tires, and realizing that clearance wasn't great and that I was constantly having to adjust fenders and that I was beating the crap out of this fine vintage bike, I decided to go in another direction. I bought a steel TIG-welded Nashbar touring frame ($80 on sale!), a Soma fork, V-brakes, swapped over a bunch of things from the Raleigh, and now that's my primary commuter. It's not going to win any beauty contests, but it rides really well, the brakes work great, I have clearance for studded tires with fenders in the deep winter, 700 x 38mm tires the rest of the year, and I've returned the '71 Int'l to road duty.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.