Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

1984 stumpjumper sport immaculate condition!

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-16, 07:33 PM
alecjamesjones8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello I am new to this forum but believe I have one of the most original pristine and rideable 1984 stumpjumper sports out there! Original ground control tires hold air and have lots of life, no rust, rides like a dream, just trying to determine the value of it, don't know how to upload pics but here it is.

Last edited by alecjamesjones8; 03-27-16 at 09:42 AM.
Old 03-24-16, 07:41 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,407 Times in 901 Posts
Hey welcome to BF, alec!

I'll post a couple of pics here so that people can look at it and give you an idea of how much it's worth.

One thing: Please re read the forum guidelines that you agreed to when you signed up here. It would be very helpful for you as a guest here. Thank you.

Here are a couple of pics of your bike:

Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 03-24-16, 07:45 PM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
The front derailleur is not original. Did an 84 Sport have QRs or bolt on axels? My 84 standard has bolt on specialized branded hubs.
Old 03-24-16, 07:46 PM
alecjamesjones8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh thank you so much that is very helpful of you, I really appreciate it, I have been reading this forum and love it so I decided to register, it's very insightful, everyone is very friendly, I do not have a cpu just an older cell phone so it makes navigating and reading things very difficult but I will be sure to reread. Thanks much and God bless
Old 03-24-16, 07:59 PM
alecjamesjones8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The fd says mountain lx I was told the bike is all original just how it was purchased but I do not know much about mtbs, I just saw this in a garage during a yard sale and thought it was unique, I had to beg him to part with it and he asked $140 but all I had was $120
Old 03-24-16, 08:02 PM
alecjamesjones8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Would you mind maybe putting a few more of the pictures up since I don't know how and my link isn't allowed
Old 03-25-16, 08:27 AM
triathloner

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
It's worth about $400 on Ebay. That's what I got for an identical bike a year ago.
Old 03-25-16, 02:40 PM
alecjamesjones8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Would I be better off parting it out and selling it that way? I've seen a lot of these components go for almost half that. The original ground control tires recently sold for $200 alone
Old 03-26-16, 07:43 AM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 256 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by alecjamesjones8
Would I be better off parting it out and selling it that way? I've seen a lot of these components go for almost half that. The original ground control tires recently sold for $200 alone
These are neat bikes.

My wife gets offers for hers constantly.

Sell it to someone that wants the whole enchilada.
Old 03-26-16, 08:18 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,472 Times in 2,079 Posts
I think you'd be extremely lucky to find a buyer who is willing to pay $200 for old tires likes these. There are collectors and then there are extreme collectors I guess.

It would be a shame to bust up the bike esp. given that there is a market for older mountain bikes.
Old 03-26-16, 08:57 AM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 256 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
I think you'd be extremely lucky to find a buyer who is willing to pay $200 for old tires likes these. There are collectors and then there are extreme collectors I guess.

It would be a shame to bust up the bike esp. given that there is a market for older mountain bikes.
Agreed.

I have two or three sets of these in the garage.

Bring your checkbook folks.
Old 03-26-16, 11:15 PM
alecjamesjones8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Alright you guys I appreciate the input, I was not insinuating that I had any intention of selling the tires separately, I find the charm of it to be its cohesiveness and originality, I'm just asking is $400 a reasonable asking price? Too high? Too low? I'd hate to short change myself, we have a regional bike swap coming up here, what would be a fair starting price for me to list it at as a "best case scenario" price point? The avocet gel seat is flawless, seat post is qr and original, front hub is specialized I believe rear suntour, sugino at cranks I think, suntour mountech derailuers obviously, araya wheels shiny and true, everything is mechanically sound, no rust, foam grips are without signs of wear, this is one sweet ride in a size that is conducive to the average to slightly above average male frame. What should I ask for it? Would I be better off finding and replacing the fd and rd with deore? The shifters and cranks with the higher end originals? Or keep as is? Thoughts? Not trying to be profit centric but I am more into vintage road bikes than mtb, although I must say the bi plane fork, lug work, and curved (ever so subtly) chainstays are truly a gorgeous master stroke of detail and craftsmanship I have not previously observed on a type of bike that usually throws form to the wind in the face of function. Definitely an eye opener and in owning it I have begun to seek out older mtbs in the like such as rockhopper comps, alpina unos, high sieras, some gts etc!
Old 03-27-16, 07:56 AM
alecjamesjones8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just got back from a little trip on her in the crisp morning air and she's an absolute treat to putt around on, so smooth and effortless! Covered a surprising amount of ground with very little effort!
Old 03-27-16, 08:00 AM
alecjamesjones8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
was your bike set up similarly, and about as clean triathloner? If not would upgrading certain aspects of the bike help or hinder its desirability? Thanks
Old 03-27-16, 06:26 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,472 Times in 2,079 Posts
The thing you have to realize is that there are vintage MTBs (late 80s, early 90s) that are at least as good if not "better" in terms of frame and parts but will not command $400. I tend to think that this puts a ceiling on the price.

The reason this bike can command a premium is its age and condition. I'd ask for $400 at the swap meet and be willing to accept less. Maybe you can get more on eBay but then you have to deal with eBay.

Location matters a lot. In a large city, it will be much easier to sell the bike at a premium price. If in a smaller city, you'd probably have to eBay it to get a premium price. I see high end vintage mbs locally going for a lot, lot less than you are asking but they are not quite as old as this is either.

Last edited by bikemig; 03-27-16 at 06:33 PM.
Old 03-27-16, 07:48 PM
howsteepisit

Bikes: Canyon Endurace SLX 8Di2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by alecjamesjones8
was your bike set up similarly, and about as clean triathloner? If not would upgrading certain aspects of the bike help or hinder its desirability? Thanks

Given this comment, what do you think its worth?
Old 03-28-16, 04:28 AM
mparker326

Bikes: Schwinn Paramount P15, Fisher Montare, Proteus, Rivendell Quickbeam

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Why not just keep it and ride it? To get $400 you would need to put it on eBay which means that they get a 15% cut. Also you have to be able to have good skills in disassembling and packing bikes if you go this route.

The value is not in the components, but the entire package together. Mountain LX was only around for a few years in the late 80's. Mountech rear derailleurs had a tendency to break and ruin your spokes when they went.
Old 03-28-16, 08:38 AM
triathloner

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Min was very clean and set up the same. All original except for the tires.