Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Dismantling Shimano br-6208's

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-14, 07:38 PM
67tony 

Bikes: 1987 Centurion Ironman Master, 1992 Koga Miyata Exerciser, 1992 Schwinn Crosscut

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 92 Posts

If I wanted to take these brakes apart further, to clean them, how would I do that?
(Not the adjustment cam, but the calipers.)

It may not be necessary, as they are very clean now, but they have me a bit curious.
Plus...I like taking things apart!

Old 12-14-14, 07:42 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2937 Post(s)
Liked 2,934 Times in 1,497 Posts
Some one will shortly tell me I am wrong but, I believe you need a 12pt wrench (13MM maybe?) to hold that nut behind the spring and then unscrew the allen center bolt. There is no set screw right?

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk

Last edited by Bianchigirll; 12-14-14 at 08:03 PM.
Old 12-14-14, 08:15 PM
67tony 

Bikes: 1987 Centurion Ironman Master, 1992 Koga Miyata Exerciser, 1992 Schwinn Crosscut

Correct...no set screw.

I tried what you suggested, sans the correct socket of course.
Using the spring as my leverage, I gently tried the allen and it was a no go.

Looks like I'll be busting out the channelocks, wrapping the jaws with leather!
Old 12-14-14, 08:49 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2937 Post(s)
Liked 2,934 Times in 1,497 Posts
There is likely a lot of locktite in there, although the IPB shows them apart I am not sure these were intended to be taken apart by the consumer.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
BR 6207.jpg (97.8 KB, 147 views)

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk

Last edited by Bianchigirll; 12-14-14 at 08:54 PM.
Old 12-15-14, 10:17 AM
Glennfordx4

Bikes: Too many Bicycles to list

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 45 Posts
I have taken them apart to service & clean them here at my computer desk, I have a small clamp on vice and I put a 5mm allen wrench in it and use a rag & pliers to remove the 12 point looking nut from the rear off. There is thread locker on the nut so it can be tight.

Glenn
Old 12-15-14, 11:44 AM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
The "Easy Centering Mechanism" consists of
A) the Allen-headed bolt replacing the traditional nut and stud, and
B) A solid attachment of the centerbolt to the spring carrier, such that torque on the centerbolt turns the tightly-mounted (to the fork crown) spring carrier as the centerbolt turns.

There is also some kind of plastic insert where the grip washer surface interfaces with the fork crown, for easier turning.

The threading into the spring carrier appears to be oversized relative to the nutted end, so possibly also reverse-threaded.

Force (torque) is required to separate centerbolt from the spring carrier, with adjustment re-set with a relatively high-strength threadlocker.

Possibly also the "12-point" wrench interface is a bit more than twelve points(?), if so suggestive of "field service discouraged".

And, since there is no axial force on the threading when and if one simply adjusts these in-hand, the freeplay of the threaded interface may bias the adjustment later, when the mounting bolt is tensioned upon installation, as the threadlocker would possibly yield over time. So I suggest one should modestly tension the mounting nut against a fork-crown-simulating sleeve over the centerbolt, in order that tension be applied by the mounting nut as the final adjustment is made and as the threadlocker sets, so that the adjustment doesn't later change as the mounting nut is tensioned.
I am always leery of any threaded interface that relies on a load path that contains a "polymer layer". Such compression assembly is often found to lose tension over time, resulting in loosening or in this case a possible slight change in adjustment of the caliper pivot with resultant binding.
Similarly, compressed assemblies that tend to trap and compress dirt between mating parts often lose tension, as commonly happens with rear derailer pulley bolts in particular, but also with bottom bracket adjustable cups that are tensioned by a lockring that gets tightened onto the cup with the cup not also turning so as to displace grit from the load path of the cup-to-shell threaded interface. Thus I always achieve final cup adjustments with the cup and lockring rotating into final tightness as one, since the contact stress is much lower in the shell's threads than in the lockring's threads, with trapped grit acting as an unreliable load path layer.
Old 12-15-14, 02:12 PM
triathloner

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
10 parts real hot water and 1 part dawn dish soap, soak for half an hour hit them with a tooth brush and you should be pretty clean inside and out. I've taken them apart but once the loctite is off it can give you problems, and it's tough to get loctite on them in just the right spots if you use it on re-assembly. My two cents.
Old 12-15-14, 02:43 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7353 Post(s)
Liked 2,481 Times in 1,440 Posts
Ooh, them are nice! (Quoting my friends from Kentucky)

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 12-15-14, 07:32 PM
67tony 

Originally Posted by triathloner
10 parts real hot water and 1 part dawn dish soap, soak for half an hour hit them with a tooth brush and you should be pretty clean inside and out. I've taken them apart but once the loctite is off it can give you problems, and it's tough to get loctite on them in just the right spots if you use it on re-assembly. My two cents.
This is the way I'm leaning.

Although I appreciate the technical brilliance of dddd's dissertation regarding the intricacies of these brakes, it was a bit over my head. I'm going to leave well enough alone!
Old 12-16-14, 04:45 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,410 Times in 910 Posts
I've taken them apart before, and put them back together. Watch out for small thin plastic parts that want to escape.

I took pictures of each stage, so I'd remember how they went back, but I used no special tools.
The #5 hex key worked with a wrapped channel-lock pliers on the main bolt, and once "broken," that backing nut spun right off.

They are beautiful once cleaned, as are the rest of that group. The brown anodizing is very nice, and if you can get the chainrings, even nicer.
Old 12-16-14, 12:11 PM
67tony 

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes

They are beautiful once cleaned, as are the rest of that group. The brown anodizing is very nice, and if you can get the chainrings, even nicer.
They are, indeed, a very attractive brake.
As others have noted, they have really strong springs.

Although yet to be cleaned, I do have the chainrings.

(Robbie, I really like the color of your pictured Dave Scott...)