Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Velo Orange Saddles

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Velo Orange Saddles

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-11, 03:57 PM
HauntedMyst
Spandex free since 1963!

Bikes: Cannondale Road Warrior 900, Surly Big Dummy, Electra Townie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Velo Orange Saddles

How are they? Any one had any quality issues? The model 5 looks like a Brooks Flyer but is a LOT cheaper and I was thinking of getting one for my touring bike.
Old 04-14-11, 05:13 PM
NoReg
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
The last time I checked, there wasn't any significant savings over buying the VO, and buying the less expensive version of the B17 at a discounter. For instance, Nashbar currently has the B17 at 89 dollars. Last time I bought a blond there I paid 67 bucks. That was just the first place I looked, and I didn't even look to see if one could add in extra online savings. And with Brooks you know what you are getting if it works out you know where to get another one. I like what VO is doing but I am not all that excited about the seats or the prices. The VO sprung ones are a nice price at the moment though.
Old 04-14-11, 06:47 PM
aroundoz
More Energy than Sense

Bikes: Co-Motion Divide

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a VO sprung saddle and the nut would constantly loosen up, like several times a day. This has never been a problem with any Brooks that I have owned. I also didn't like the fact it required two tools to adjust tension. VO was great about it and allowed me to return the saddle in exchange for a new Brooks. I also have an unsprung Cardiff saddle and it is similar to the VO so I am guessing the same manufacturer. The Cardiff is beautiful but squeaks like nobody's business. From now on, only Brooks for me thanks.

Having said that, I love VO and they make great stuff whether you are into retro or more current bikes.
Old 04-14-11, 09:22 PM
HauntedMyst
Spandex free since 1963!

Bikes: Cannondale Road Warrior 900, Surly Big Dummy, Electra Townie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm considering the VO sprung version. At $65 its seems like a good deal but hearing it loosened up is disturbing.
Old 04-14-11, 11:36 PM
pupuplader

Bikes: 2009 Rockhopper Pro, 2008 Giant Anthem X3, Mercier Corvus AL

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You could always use something like loctite to keep the nut from slipping... I prefer to use a dab of paint (cheaper and readily available).
Old 04-15-11, 02:33 AM
seeker333
-

Bikes: yes!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by HauntedMyst
How are they? Any one had any quality issues? The model 5 looks like a Brooks Flyer but is a LOT cheaper and I was thinking of getting one for my touring bike.
The early VO saddles had some defective leather (sag), apparently they had to take most of them back and then redesign or resource their leather. That was a few years ago, they are probably better now.

I thought of getting one, but they've raised prices so they are no longer the deal I was first considering.

If you are very patient, or poor, or both, wait for wiggle.co.uk to have one of their semi-annual (or annual) saddle sales. Then you can buy a B17 Special for $78 USD or a Team Pro for $101, shipping included to USA. I just happen to know prices on those two. The sales are only 2 days, so you need to sign up for email alerts, or you'll miss it.
Old 04-15-11, 05:23 PM
Hibonite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the the one that looks like a Brooks Swallow where the side skirts are joined underneath. I think the quality is excellent.Unfortnately, it's a bit too narrow for me. I will offerit up for sale if anyone is interested.It's in like new condition.
Old 04-18-11, 07:11 PM
irwin7638

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 48 Posts
I have three, models 5,6&8. The model 5 was tough to break in, but I found the tension was really tight from the factory. I loosened that and had no problem after. The others were perfectly comfortable after I loosened the bolt. I ride one on a daily basis and have no problems with the hardware. I still have a Brooks on my touring bike but can't say there's a difference in comfort. I think the VO is a good value and should last longer with the changes they made, but I still love Brooks also.

https://simplecycle-marc.blogspot.com...onspiracy.html

Marc