Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

New to fixed gear bikes.

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

New to fixed gear bikes.

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-15, 11:29 PM
Matt Swagger

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New to fixed gear bikes.

Hey guys. I was looking to get a bike that I could use to ride around my university. I would use it for the road and for going up on sidewalks as well. My main question: Is it better to buy a fixie bike frame or a pre-built bike and modify it. If so what are your suggestions? Its either a bike or a cruiser skateboard. Whatever is cheap, maneuverable around crowds is easy to put in or on top of my car.
Old 08-29-15, 04:12 AM
bleedingapple

Bikes: Leader 722TS, Surly Cross Check, GT Outpost, Haro Z16, Trek 1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Generally if you are asking if you should buy a complete vs a frame the answer is a complete. Reason being, they are cheaper and so easier to get started on. Learn what you like and then tweak the complete later. Also a skate board is gonna be way cheaper and more portable. I am way maneuverable on my bike than my board. As far as completes go, a great option is the kilo tt (the unofficial sponsor of bikeforums) , there is also the Rush Hour which I have. Not sure about this year's model. Hope this helps.
Old 08-29-15, 06:12 AM
prooftheory
pro in someone's theory

Bikes: FTP

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
#KiloTT
Old 08-29-15, 07:41 AM
thenomad
Riding like its 1990

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
More important is to consider the storage/theft/vandalism issues and spend money on locks, and get something you can stand to lose. I'd consider making a MTB SS as it would be less desirable, more robust and curb-hoppable.
If you're asking if a bike or a skateboard is easier to maneuver through crowds and take in your class and car? I think you know the answer.
Old 08-29-15, 08:33 AM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
A bike should be ridden on the street, not the sidewalk. That is all I will say.
Old 08-29-15, 03:35 PM
Matt Swagger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why not on the sidewalk or in between my university buildings? Is it because its a fixie or because its not a good idea for beginners? I will buy a complete. I have a schwinn volare 1300 idk if thats a good starter bike.
Old 08-29-15, 03:59 PM
bones_mcbones
Banned.

Bikes: Fiori Fixie powder blue w/ granny bars

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 6495 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Matt Swagger
Why not on the sidewalk or in between my university buildings? Is it because its a fixie or because its not a good idea for beginners? I will buy a complete. I have a schwinn volare 1300 idk if thats a good starter bike.
ride whatever man. the important thing is riding.

Fixies are a little harder, but as long as you're not going brakeless you should be fine.
Old 08-29-15, 04:07 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1336 Post(s)
Liked 765 Times in 432 Posts
Why not on the sidewalk or in between my university buildings? Is it because its a fixie or because its not a good idea for beginners?
Sidewalk definition: A paved path for PEDESTRIANS at the side of the road.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 08-29-15, 08:17 PM
Night_shift

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TenSpeedV2
A bike should be ridden on the street, not the sidewalk. That is all I will say.
In some areas (most) the official rules are that bike are not permitted on sidewalks. You are a moving vehicle with no more place on a side walk than a bus. Now, if motorist would get that memo...

Obviously parks, schools, etc. aren't a part of that mindset.
Old 08-29-15, 09:51 PM
Matt Swagger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ok maybe im not calling it the right thing. Walkways around campus. I see people on these walkways bobbing and weaving around people on their bikes and there are bike stands everywhere. Trust me Ive seen people on their bikes not only on the streets surrounding the university.
Old 08-29-15, 10:03 PM
SCK
Gold chains on everything

Bikes: Heavy Pedal Zephyr, '16 Mash Work, '14 Cinelli Parallax, C-Dale Synapse Disc

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by prooftheory
This
Old 08-29-15, 10:06 PM
zammykoo

Bikes: Trek 510, Dahon Classic III, Specialized Tricross, Raleigh Technium 460

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
ok maybe im not calling it the right thing. Walkways around campus. I see people on these walkways bobbing and weaving around people on their bikes and there are bike stands everywhere. Trust me Ive seen people on their bikes not only on the streets surrounding the university.
I went to a large university where I saw students bike from one building to another on paved walkways. They were wide enough that even the campus workers used their golf carts to also go from one place to another. Plenty of bike racks around campus too, so I assumed it was perfectly fine to do so. If that's the case with your school then you should be fine.

As far as getting the right setup, I think you should get what you can afford as a student. If nothing is wrong with the Schwinn, it's probably best to stick with it for campus use. Or sell it for a used fixed gear that you can learn on. Maneuverability in crowds on a fixed gear depends on your skill level, which may take time depending on how well you adapt to the learning curve.
Old 08-29-15, 11:12 PM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
There is no way in hell that I would ride on these paths dodging students. They are so removed from society being ass deep in their phones all the time. I have a heck of a time riding on the road that runs near the campus and having to deal with these idiots. Oh, they are back, moving in this weekend. Arghhhh I hate it!!!
Old 08-30-15, 07:04 AM
prooftheory
pro in someone's theory

Bikes: FTP

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Bikes shouldn't be on the paths between buildings on a campus regardless of whether students are currently doing it or not. I hate the kids who do this and I love bikes. Get a razor scooter.
Old 08-30-15, 03:37 PM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie
Sidewalk definition: A paved path for PEDESTRIANS at the side of the road.
Not in Idaho.

A paved path for cyclists and pedestrians. But then again, we don't have to stop for stop signs or red lights here either.

TITLE 49
MOTOR VEHICLES
CHAPTER 7
PEDESTRIANS AND BICYCLES
49-721. Bicycles on sidewalks. (1) A person operating a bicycle upon and along a sidewalk, or across a highway upon and along a crosswalk, shall yield the right-of-way to any pedestrian, and shall give an audible signal before overtaking and passing a pedestrian or another bicyclist.

Last edited by SquidPuppet; 08-30-15 at 03:41 PM.
Old 08-30-15, 07:11 PM
Matt Swagger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
na sorry i dont have enough swag to be on a razor scooter.
Old 08-30-15, 07:12 PM
Matt Swagger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
there isnt wrong with anything on the schwinn but the reviews for it are complete arse but with some upgrades it can become decent apparently.
Old 08-30-15, 08:03 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,996 Times in 2,667 Posts
Other people doing something is not a justification for you to do the same thing. If you ride on sidewalks you have to be extremely careful because most people don't pay attention or care about cyclists and if you are looking to not go super slow sidewalks are not the answer.

You are a wheeled moving vehicle and those really shouldn't be on the sidewalks especially not those with two motors (I call my legs motors when people suggest the fat bikes we sell should have a motor)

As far as frame V. complete, I would go with a decent quality complete bike. Go with a frame when you have the knowledge to build it up properly.
Old 08-31-15, 11:12 AM
Matt Swagger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok I don't wanna go super fast I just want to get around campus and if I have to ride super slow to maintain others and my own safety, I'm totally ok with that.