Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Camping near trails in RI

Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-17, 01:02 PM
cole.callahan

Bikes: Trek Crossrip

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi Everyone, I'm trying to find somewhere around RI, could be neighboring states too, where my eight year old son and I can ride in to a campsite. It can be bike path or an easy trail, maybe 2-5 miles depending on terrain. He loves camping, and he's super excited about the idea of bike camping, so I would like to set him up for success. Thanks!
Old 05-02-17, 06:46 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,087 Times in 1,182 Posts
Nickerson State Park in Orleans on Cape Cod has camping as well as connects to the Cape Cod Rail Trail.
Old 05-02-17, 08:27 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
check the details for Burlingame and Washington Memorial campgrounds. In and next to long dirt roads and paths. Been to both years ago don't remember all the details. Most recent was Burlingame. LOTS of dirt roads and trails. Find an on line map or use google earth to
find exactly what you want. No paved bike trails.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=Fisher...lsl=0&efirst=1

Also Miles Standish state park near Carver Mass. Huge !!! And plenty of paved bike paths. More paved bike paths at Miles Standish and camping. Maybe easier biking.Paved paths in the woods. There must be a map on line. There is a thread here on the forums here with some photos. Try searching "Miles Standish Park" or similar.

Better info on Burlingame https://www.bing.com/search?q=Burlin...lsl=0&efirst=1

Last edited by 2manybikes; 05-02-17 at 08:37 PM.
Old 05-03-17, 07:20 AM
cole.callahan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2manybikes
check the details for Burlingame and Washington Memorial campgrounds. In and next to long dirt roads and paths. Been to both years ago don't remember all the details. Most recent was Burlingame. LOTS of dirt roads and trails.

Also Miles Standish state park near Carver Mass. Huge !!! And plenty of paved bike paths. More paved bike paths at Miles Standish and camping. Maybe easier biking.Paved paths in the woods. There must be a map on line. There is a thread here on the forums here with some photos. Try searching "Miles Standish Park" or similar.
2manybikes, I sort of ruled out Burlingame because it's so packed all the time. I had been looking at George Washington campground and was going to check out the hiking trail to the back country sites to see if they're rideable. I will definitely check out Miles Standish park. I work in Taunton, so I have no idea why I didn't think of that. Thanks so much for the input.
Old 05-03-17, 07:52 AM
2manybikes

Originally Posted by cole.callahan
2manybikes, I sort of ruled out Burlingame because it's so packed all the time. I had been looking at George Washington campground and was going to check out the hiking trail to the back country sites to see if they're rideable. I will definitely check out Miles Standish park. I work in Taunton, so I have no idea why I didn't think of that. Thanks so much for the input.
George Washington is near the R.I. North-South trail. It's a great ride, but some sections are pretty technical, might be too difficult for the kid. Can't remember how it was right next to G.W. There are Maps on line of the R.I. N-S trail on line somewhere. I rode around the campsites, but it was not camping season, so it was totally empty. As a matter of fact it was hunting season. We had to wear a certain amount of orange, and heard gunshots nearby. That made us leave the area.

Miles Standish still the best place for paved paths for easier riding. Trail maps used to be available at the Ranger Station.

Last edited by 2manybikes; 05-03-17 at 07:54 AM. Reason: typo
Old 05-03-17, 08:27 AM
cole.callahan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2manybikes
George Washington is near the R.I. North-South trail. It's a great ride, but some sections are pretty technical, might be too difficult for the kid. Can't remember how it was right next to G.W. There are Maps on line of the R.I. N-S trail on line somewhere. I rode around the campsites, but it was not camping season, so it was totally empty. As a matter of fact it was hunting season. We had to wear a certain amount of orange, and heard gunshots nearby. That made us leave the area.

Miles Standish still the best place for paved paths for easier riding. Trail maps used to be available at the Ranger Station.
I ended up picking Myles Standish. It looks like we can park a few miles from our campsite and take the bike path in. It seems like it's going to be really good to get him started. Thanks so much for your suggestion.
Old 05-06-17, 07:13 PM
2manybikes

Originally Posted by cole.callahan
I ended up picking Myles Standish. It looks like we can park a few miles from our campsite and take the bike path in. It seems like it's going to be really good to get him started. Thanks so much for your suggestion.

You're welcome. Have fun.
Old 05-07-17, 12:06 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
An alternative for your next bike /camping outing. https://search.yahoo.com/local/s;_yl...&hsimp=yhs-003
He would love Horseneck Beach in Westport, Mass. An excellent state run campground. I would drive to the campground, (can't think of a good place to park within 3-5 miles just now). From the campground there are fine, flat cycling roads in the area. The Yelp reviews of the beach are right on.