Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

To Gear or Not to Gear

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-16, 11:29 AM
Carcosa

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
To Gear or Not to Gear

Help me out you dirty fellows! I have spent the last 4 or 5 years riding fixed gear bikes on the street, but recently the off road, gravel bug has wormed its way into my head.

Photo proof:

That said. I'm trying to decide on a new bike (boo not another one of those threads) and I'm torn between buying something geared or single speed. I'd love to try my hand at a little CX (don't plan on being competitive) and spend more time on the gravel roads in the area. Maybe even do a little bike camping, but that's a different thread. My heart lives in the land of bike simplicity but I feel like I'm missing out coasting down hills and jumping over barriers.

Let me know if you think this is posed better in the SSFG forum (where I usually lurk).

So, anyone have experience geared and single speed off road? Is my money better spent on a brand new All City Nature Boy disc or something like one of these guys?

2015 Specialized Crux EVO size 54

Fuji Cyclocross Bike - 54cm (Medium)
Old 09-07-16, 12:09 PM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1217 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 118 Posts
SSFG don't know nothing about gravel.

I hated riding single speed offroad as I'm a standing climber and it's hard to get in a good rhythm and maintain grip with a SS gear ratio that is also good for cruising the flats. So I recommend buying a geared bike. It's also easier/cheaper to make a geared bike SS then it is to make a SS bike geared. So you kind of have both options if you want.

Later if you decide you really want a SS get a used SS MTB as the second hand value for those is very low so you can get a good bike for a good price.
Old 09-07-16, 01:12 PM
Carcosa

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Useful input, since I really enjoy climbing fixed and have learned to be a standing climber as well. haha

My brain says gears but my heart says SS.

Suppose I should just try a used, geared, CX specific bike and if I hate it go back to something else.

SS MTBs have been on my radar for a while. Sucks. I really just want to own 6 bikes instead of one or two. N+1
Old 09-07-16, 02:36 PM
RocThrower

Bikes: Space Horse Disc, Domane SL5 Disc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 17 Posts
What about a Niner RLT 9? I'm not a single speed guy or know much about eccentric bottom brackets, but my understanding is this bike was designed to be setup either way.
Old 09-07-16, 03:15 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I took my bike out on Saturday, drove 85 miles for a mostly dirt loop. It was a fun and scenic ride. I'd rather get a root canal than do it on a fixie. But this was in the Cascades.
Old 09-07-16, 05:59 PM
Pendergast

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I mountain bike with geared and singlespeed bikes. My singlespeed gearing is pretty low because I'm more concerned about getting up a climb than I am about how fast I can go on the way down.

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to find one gear that I'd be satisfied with for gravel riding(especially since my gravel rides usually include some portion of the rides on paved roads, too.)
Old 09-07-16, 05:59 PM
Carcosa

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by RocThrower
What about a Niner RLT 9? I'm not a single speed guy or know much about eccentric bottom brackets, but my understanding is this bike was designed to be setup either way.
I'm sure you weren't talking about this exactly, but damn this is a hot bike.

Unfortunately even the frame set for the older Niner RLT 9s are little out of the price range right now.

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
I took my bike out on Saturday, drove 85 miles for a mostly dirt loop. It was a fun and scenic ride. I'd rather get a root canal than do it on a fixie. But this was in the Cascades.
Pics!

But ya, I'm four hours from the mountains and most – if not all – off road I'd do SS and not fixed.... Although a whip skid in some dirt is a good time.
Old 09-07-16, 06:07 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
SSCX bikes are great fun on dirt.

Old 09-07-16, 06:19 PM
osco53
Old Fart In Training

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
I use my gears to save my knee's,,,

Knee surgery,, no thank you, my momma didn't raise no fool

My Mountain bike Is a 1 x 11
My Gravel bike Is a 2 X 11
My LWB recumbent Is a 3 X 9
My Folding bike Is a 1 x 8

I had a single speed once,, was fun Unless I wanted to go real slow up a hill or go real fast anywhere..
I'd have one again for short Urban rides,, but not off road..
Old 09-08-16, 09:03 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Carcosa
Pics!

But ya, I'm four hours from the mountains and most – if not all – off road I'd do SS and not fixed.... Although a whip skid in some dirt is a good time.
Ask and ye shall receive!

Old 09-08-16, 01:57 PM
Inpd

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Agreed. As a former fixie owner, I liked the bike as it improved your pedal stroke, but its plain foolhardy to do this off road, doubly so if the route involves any sort of climbing or gravel.
Old 09-10-16, 09:41 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
I have both a single speed gravel bike and a 2x11 gravel bike and like them both for different reasons. I live in the flatlands of IL so I don't really need gears the vast majority of the time. The single speed has some advantages: simplicity, low cost, no derailleurs to get caught on stuff while riding through brush, no chain slap, robust 1/8" pitch drivetrain, less worry about crashing on the drive side. However, running a 48x17 on the SS I've definitely spun out the gearing in a gravel race at 25 mph+. The problem is getting the right gearing. I wouldn't want to run a lower tooth cog because I can't easily push anything bigger in most situations. Cruising speed in 48x17 is about 21 mph for me, that's plenty fast on gravel. However, as the pace accelerates running out of gear in a gravel race can be pretty sketchy. As a result, I prefer the geared bike for races. However for gravel training, the SS works great.

Fixed on gravel requires skill I personally don't have, especially when I'm trying to body-english my way through some loose new gravel. I have to have a freewheel. If you can successfully ride a fixie in sketchy gravel, more power to you.

If you live where there are actual hills, definitely get a geared bike. Grinding up steep hills on a SS with too big a gear is a direct route to knee problems.

Last edited by Hiro11; 09-10-16 at 09:46 AM.
Old 09-11-16, 08:50 PM
Caliper

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 43 Posts
My fixed gear bike is a converted road bike. It's got a bit more tire clearance so I'm running 27x1.25 tires on it. For the gravel/dirt roads here it works fine. YMMV, of course, all depends on your roads. It's just as fun as fixed gear on pavement but you may want to add a tooth or two to the rear cog due to the extra drag.
Old 09-11-16, 11:52 PM
thenomad
Riding like its 1990

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Flat and rolling, go for it and try an SS or FG. It'll legitimately give you something new to do and FG will force you to spin differently. Must be smooth, and fast and round. Hills are challenging, downhill is exciting, and flats are not as fast.

Put your current bike in a similar gear and never change it to see if you like it. Yes, I know this isn't as much "cred" and buying a whole new bike off the cuff but try it out, at least for SS.

On any "real" offroad I find the terrain changes come fast and often, and an SS can leave you struggling to make it up a small incline instead of "flow/blasting" over it. Sure, there is a perverse pleasure to be had doing it SS.

Honestly it seems like its best shared with others as in "you're crazy to do that SS", "look at this crazy guy on an SS", "wow you must be a beast doing that SS". I really think that's the main thing; hearing from others, or from your own inner voice, that you're more hardcore than most.

If that's what you like, then go for it. If the terrain is smaller incline changes then it may work well.
Old 09-11-16, 11:56 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
One of 20, all are gears.
Old 09-12-16, 02:06 PM
Carcosa

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Inpd
its plain foolhardy to do this off road, doubly so if the route involves any sort of climbing or gravel.
More risky? Maybe. I wouldn't go so far as saying foolhardy though.

Originally Posted by thenomad
Honestly it seems like its best shared with others as in "you're crazy to do that SS", "look at this crazy guy on an SS", "wow you must be a beast doing that SS". I really think that's the main thing; hearing from others, or from your own inner voice, that you're more hardcore than most.
This is the thing I think I have the most trouble with. Not as much the peer to peer interaction – although I'd be lying if I said that wasn't a fun aspect – as much as the extra challenge.

Here's a fun resource I found recently if anyone is interested:

63xc.com--The Offroad Fixed Gear Site