Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

almost hit salmon getting my afternoon coffee

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-16, 03:53 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts

I'm at the exit to McDonald's & I am making a right onto a busy street. I'm looking left cuz that's where the traffic is coming from. there is a sidewalk but I already checked that in both directions. I get my break in traffic & start to roll & I see a blur. hit the brakes & see that's it's a kid (16?) on a bike absolutely flying at near 20mph. he skirted around me & went (back?) onto the sidewalk. I guess I should have glanced right again before starting to roll, but man I was not expecting that
Old 11-08-16, 04:00 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
I was walking on the sidewalk to the library last week and as I approached the entrance I see an older woman riding down the sidewalk intently looking down at her phone. There are a lot of people that ride to the library and park by the entrance so seeing a bicyclist there wasn't too surprising, but it did surprise me to see someone who looks like they should have known what they were doing acting like an oblivious kid. She didn't even react when I asked her to please pay attention.
Old 11-08-16, 04:07 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Ditto, last night on the bike lane. Adult male salmon. Big one. Made me wish I was a grizzly bear.

On the plus side he did have a front white blinky. But this is a risky stretch of bike -- few street lights, passing cars often drive too fast don't give us much room, driveways lead directly into the bike lane.

I semi-fussed at the fellow to remind him to ride with traffic in the other lane. He looked baffled. Probably didn't understand a word I said. He was Hispanic and many folks riding bikes in this area are low income working stiffs who can't afford cars, can't get a license, and need to go where the city buses don't.

I really need to learn Spanish. It's just silly and laziness on my part that I've lived in Texas so long and can't speak rudimentary Spanish. Most of my Latino neighbors and acquaintances speak English well enough to get by. They've made more of an effort than I have.
Old 11-08-16, 06:27 PM
AlexCyclistRoch
The Infractionator

Bikes: Classic road bikes: 1986 Cannondale, 1978 Trek

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Vamanos derecho en la calle, por favor....
Old 11-08-16, 08:26 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 827 Posts
Ninja Salmons are the worst. There are a couple of repeat salmon offenders on my commute routes. I honk (AirZound air horn) and as we pass I say, "Ride WITH traffic!" which as we all know sounds like "...ide WITH trff..." to a passing bicyclist. THat is if they don't have headphones on blasting music.

But seriously, there are a couple of blind-ish corners on my driving commute and I usually do remember to look for salmons.
Old 11-08-16, 08:55 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
I'm at the exit to McDonald's & I am making a right onto a busy street. I'm looking left cuz that's where the traffic is coming from. there is a sidewalk but I already checked that in both directions. I get my break in traffic & start to roll & I see a blur. hit the brakes & see that's it's a kid (16?) on a bike absolutely flying at near 20mph. he skirted around me & went (back?) onto the sidewalk. I guess I should have glanced right again before starting to roll, but man I was not expecting that
That's a basic driver's education fail there, OP. Always look both ways immediately prior to launching. Far too many motorists hit pedestrians, or simply intimidate them out of their right of way, by only looking left to make a right turn (compounded by their near-universal refusal to stop at stop signs behind the limit line and prior to crossing over a sidewalk from a driveway).
Old 11-09-16, 08:44 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
First:

A person riding a bicycle on a *sidewalk* can not be a salmon [NSFW, because, well Bike Snob NYC uses words, sometimes even naughty words, and people who comment on Bike Snob NYC use words too, often naughty words. Also has a link to urban dictionary, which defines words, even naughty words.].

Salmon has been extended to people who ride the wrong way on the street too, but sidewalks are two-way.

Second:

Originally Posted by [MGL Chapter 85 Section 11B"

Section 11B: Bicycles; operation and equipment; regulations; federal product safety standards, effect; races; violations; penalties

Section 11B. Every person operating a bicycle upon a way, as defined in section one of chapter ninety, shall have the right to use all public ways in the commonwealth except limited access or express state highways where signs specifically prohibiting bicycles have been posted, and shall be subject to the traffic laws and regulations of the commonwealth and the special regulations contained in this section, except that: ... (3) bicycles may be ridden on sidewalks outside business districts when necessary in the interest of safety, unless otherwise directed by local ordinance. A person operating a bicycle on the sidewalk shall yield the right of way to pedestrians and give an audible signal before overtaking and passing any pedestrian.

So, unless that McDonald's was in that town's "business district" (which may be *different* than district zoned for business), or there is a bylaw in the town prohibitting sidewalk bicycling that applies to that location, the person on the bicycle did nothing illegal.

(What they did was not *SMART* - riding on a sidewalk against motor traffic is a good way to get yourself hurt by a person in a car, especially a person in a car pulling out of a driveway onto a road. That would be you.)

Finally, what isn't clear, did the person "skirt around" you in front of your car or behind your car?

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 11-09-16 at 08:48 AM.
Old 11-09-16, 11:01 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Originally Posted by mr_bill
what isn't clear, did the person "skirt around" you in front of your car or behind your car?
in front of me, that's how I saw him. I was in the exit entering the traffic & blocking the sidewalk while I waited for an opening

if I was the kid on the bike, I would have stopped & waited

he didn't stop, but instead decided to go around me in the street & then zipped onto the sidewalk. I don't know if he was riding on the sidewalk before going around me, only that he got onto the sidewalk after passing me. that's why I called him a salmon

he appeared seemingly out of nowhere after I checked in both directions for pedestrians & traffic & then moved up so the nose of my car was at the edge of the roadway. riding 20mph in front of me without him knowing that i would wait for him was really dumb
Old 11-09-16, 11:36 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,584 Times in 1,432 Posts
If he was on the sidewalk he wasn't a salmon since sidewalks aren't governed by the one way rules of the street. But, even if sidewalk riding were legal, this is where the law gets sticky. Pedestrians on the sidewalk enjoy excellent legal protection from vehicles crossing at driveways. Possibly that legal protection extends to bicycles, but it becomes a question of sight lines and practical expectations.

It's one thing for a motorist to see and yield to pedestrians moving at 3mph, or even running or skateboarding. But it's harder to see and estimate the speed of a bicycle, especially one moving fast where he isn't expected, so while the law may say one thing, practical reality says something else.

Right, wrong or otherwise, cyclists on sidewalks have to anticipate people not seeing them or misjudging their speed, and exercise due caution.

FWIW - while I've ridden on sidewalks from time (usually 1/2 to 1 block to avoid going around a one way), I think laws allowing sidewalk riding, should impose low speed limits, and limited rights of way.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Last edited by FBinNY; 11-09-16 at 11:53 AM.
Old 11-09-16, 02:37 PM
eff-J
Man About Town

Bikes: '04 Dahon Speed P8; '01(?) Specialized Crossroads A1 Sport; '83 Peugeot P6 frankensteined refurb

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jeez, the guy's nice enough to get your afternoon coffee, and you almost hit him!?
Old 11-09-16, 03:33 PM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by eff-J
Jeez, the guy's nice enough to get your afternoon coffee, and you almost hit him!?
lol I know, I'm such an a*s
Old 11-10-16, 01:11 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,573 Times in 7,336 Posts
That should teach you not to get coffee from McDonald's, but if you feel you must, walk next time.
Old 11-10-16, 02:06 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Salmon cross the road when Its Rainfall flooded and High Tide and spawning season,
But that is way out on the Mouth of the river and not in the city.
Old 11-10-16, 02:33 PM
italktocats

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
mcdonalds
"coffee"
and pulling out w/o looking both ways
Old 11-11-16, 06:18 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
At least there were no fries harmed.
Old 11-11-16, 12:44 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
Ninja Salmons are the worst. There are a couple of repeat salmon offenders on my commute routes. I honk (AirZound air horn) and as we pass I say, "Ride WITH traffic!" which as we all know sounds like "...ide WITH trff..." to a passing bicyclist. THat is if they don't have headphones on blasting music.
I always say "wrong way" or "other side" - thinking they might understand that. But, I tend to believe that wrong way riders wouldn't care anyway even if they understood me because they probably think they're doing it correctly and safer and it would take a 5 minute discussion to explain to them why not.
Old 11-11-16, 12:45 PM
howsteepisit

Bikes: Canyon Endurace SLX 8Di2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 14 Posts
As well as after the five minute discussion they don't agree with your POV anyway. People do what they think is right.
Old 11-11-16, 02:57 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

I guess if you're dead it was wrong, but who votes for that?
Old 11-11-16, 03:34 PM
howsteepisit

Bikes: Canyon Endurace SLX 8Di2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 14 Posts
Maybe this is one of those things where there is not much of a right or wrong. Live and let live
Old 11-13-16, 05:56 PM
Chris0516

Bikes: 2003 (24)20-Speed Specialized Allez'

Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Let me guess. They were on a dirt, mountain, or hybrid.
Old 11-13-16, 06:54 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

If it's the side of the road the place I'm going to is on and I'm past the mall so little pedestrian traffic really exists, I'm probably on my way to get groceries and stuff, and that's the only way I meet nice married femme salmon and they ain't swimming up my stream to see that I simplified the TV line enough to get the oldies station when the signal was moved to a 250 watt translator 50 miles away when the station got sold.

It's either Elvis or "BOB", there is no jazz, though my cat could care less
Old 11-13-16, 07:22 PM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by Chris0516
Let me guess. They were on a dirt, mountain, or hybrid.
ha! close! he had overgrown his BMX trick bike
Old 11-14-16, 01:15 PM
Chris0516

Bikes: 2003 (24)20-Speed Specialized Allez'

Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I knew I was missing something.
Old 11-14-16, 01:48 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
A 16-year old boy. Who had out-grown his BMX trick bike. At 20 mph. On a sidewalk.

I suspect either PEDs - or a fish tale.

-mr. bill
Old 11-15-16, 12:43 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Originally Posted by AlexCyclistRoch
Vamanos derecho en la calle, por favor....
Is that keep right please in Spanish? I've been wondering how to say that for a while.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.