Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Riding in sand

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-18, 01:30 PM
valleysuper

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Riding in sand

Im very new to riding off the road. I was very excited to try out gravel riding, and built up an old steel mtb with some drop bars and headed out. Ive got 26" wheels with 1.75" tires that are not knobby, but have some tread. Ive come to notice that the "gravel" around my area is mostly loose stones/rocks/boulder paths, with long sections of beach sand scattered in.
I for the life of me struggle to get through the sand sections, its a few inches deep and when I get in it I have little to no control over the bike. front tire is skiddish and all over and the back wheel sometimes slides right out.

Do I just need to practice riding in it more? i cant imagine going into it faster..., does it just suck no matter what? I dont really want to run fatter tires.

I have a race on my radar in early May, but if its anything like my area there is no way I could power through 54 miles of it.

yesterday was particularly pleasant, after wiping out in some large deep puddle/swamp that the 4 wheelers had torn the bottom up into a mud pit, i fell a second time 1/3 mile up the path in the sand, absolutely covered me, the bike, everything in sand. had to use my water in my bottle to get the drivetrain to stop crying for mercy.
Old 04-15-18, 07:21 PM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1217 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 118 Posts
You'll get better the more you do it. It takes familiarity to get used to just letting the front wheel wander while using your body and pedaling to control the line.

Notice the body english of the rider starting at 30 seconds in. Sand is always hard but it is always a great equalizer, most riders have equally bad technique or aren't able to output enough power to use it to make a race changing move.

Maybe contact the race promoter to get course info. Usually it's put in the race description if there's a lot of sand as most people do not like riding in it. I could not imagine riding in 54 miles of sand, I would pass if that was truly the course.
Old 04-15-18, 08:00 PM
dgodave
Behold my avatar:

Bikes: 2019 Gorilla Monsoon, 2013 Surly Krampus, Brompton folder

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 6941 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 289 Posts
Sand is rather atypical in my experience of gravel riding. And when sand sections are long dry and deep there's almost no one who can really ride through it without getting quite fat tires.
Old 04-16-18, 04:59 AM
valleysuper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks guys.

Nothing in the race description as to amounts of sand. Just says fire roads, gravel some pavements. I gotta figure it will be ok. its a small race from the one person I found who rode it last year, he said hes not doing it again due to fitness.

Ive yet to be this excited for cold, drizzly rain like it is today. maybe firm up the sand a little for my ride.
Old 04-19-18, 11:46 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
Sand pits are very treacherous. Cross riders traditionally ride figure eights in loose sand to develop the bike handling. In my experience, tire tread doesn't really help in loose sand, it's more about balance and bike control. I've found keeping weight over the rear tire, maintaining a low center for gravity and a light touch on the bars all helps.
Old 04-19-18, 12:16 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Body separation is key, and following a rut if one is already formed. When transitioning in keep your weight back or you will endo, but once into the sand put more weight forward than you would think so the back doesn't sink as much and try to keep power delivery smooth
Old 04-25-18, 09:47 AM
MarcoBianchi

Bikes: Peugeot Mont Blanc . Bianchi 28c 1980. Coppi Giro di Lombardia. Vitoria Vintage 1990. Orbea Luarca 1977. Trek 950.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
More important than tire is its pressure. Low pressure will help you. But I understand that you are not going to low pressure for 50 meters of sand, it depends how long are sand section.
Old 04-25-18, 03:23 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by valleysuper
Thanks guys.

Nothing in the race description as to amounts of sand. Just says fire roads, gravel some pavements. I gotta figure it will be ok. its a small race from the one person I found who rode it last year, he said hes not doing it again due to fitness.

Ive yet to be this excited for cold, drizzly rain like it is today. maybe firm up the sand a little for my ride.
Races generally avoid sucky conditions like deep mud pits and deep sand pits. What did your friend say the course is like?

Deep sand can't be ridden through - well maybe on a fat tire bike. If you have to ride it - the biggest tire and the lowest pressure is best. I have some 60mm slicks that are designed for beach racing with pretty low tire pressure. They float over sand, but are a night mare in mud - you don't want to float over mud...
Old 04-25-18, 07:48 PM
Hellgate

Bikes: 333fab Ti, Davidson Ti, Guru Flite CX, Peugeot PXN10E

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Get your weight over the rear axle, gas it, and follow the ruts. Hands light on the bars and let the "force" flow. Repeat until it's natural.
Old 04-25-18, 09:34 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4426 Post(s)
Liked 4,534 Times in 3,032 Posts
I hate hitting that dreaded sand trap and I don’t golf leaned the gravel bike over many times hitting sand so if I see it in time I walk through it. Light sand I just grind it out.
Old 04-26-18, 04:03 AM
valleysuper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rode with a few guys the other day. They have more exp than me. We went to a good sandy stretch and worked for a bit. Riding it several times. Im a little better.
Thanks for the tips. Worked a keeping power steady and using my body to guide the bike, not over steering it.
Old 04-26-18, 09:55 AM
50voltphantom

Bikes: Handsome Fredward, Trek 1.1

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by Hellgate
Get your weight over the rear axle, gas it, and follow the ruts. Hands light on the bars and let the "force" flow. Repeat until it's natural.

Agreed.