Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

All City Space Horse vs Jamis Renegade S3

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-20, 03:37 PM
joebiker1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi everyone, I am in the market for a new bike after riding an old late 90s/early 2000s Raleigh Team Issue aluminum road bike w/ carbon fork. I mainly ride in suburban streets and neighborhoods and the 23mm tires are not great for some of the streets and sidewalks. This has led me to wanting wider tires, but my frame can only handle 25-26mm. After some research I decided that I wanted a steel bike, preferably with a steel fork for safety/comfort. Ideally, the bike would have thru axles and hydraulic discs for safety/convenience. I am not a racer, but am fit and want to have fun and not be bored - so not super aggressive but not boring either. I don't immediately plan on using racks, but also want the flexibility for racks for light grocery trips in the future. I want to explore some paved and unpaved trails in the near future. My budget is $2K or less.

I feel like the AC Space Horse checks a lot of boxes and is very nice looking, but has QRs, and mechanical discs. It also has SRAM APEX and while I have experience with Shimano (no issues), I have no experience with SRAM. The Jamis seems like a lot of bike for the money and has Shimano GRX 400, thru axles, and hydraulic discs. It also appears to have a lifetime frame and fork warranty if I read their website correctly, while AC has 3 years. However, it has a full carbon fork (lighter but maybe less reliable than steel) and is not quite as nice looking to me as the AC, thought still very nice. Both bikes are $1500. I am torn. I cannot test ride and compare because the AC is not in stock and cannot be ordered for at least 2 weeks around here.

Please let me know your thoughts on this choice, whether there are other bikes I should be considering, etc. Thanks!
Old 05-12-20, 04:26 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,441 Times in 2,764 Posts
The Space Horse has an obsolete QR/disc, 135mm rear configuration while the Jamis has current standard 12mm/142 rear thru axle. Additionally, most folks would prefer GRX to Apex. Jamis has current flat mount discs. There's more, but that seems plenty to make the Jamis a clear choice.

Last edited by shelbyfv; 05-12-20 at 04:29 PM.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 05-12-20, 05:39 PM
Gconan

Bikes: Norco search xr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts
Both bikes are cool. A win-win whichever you pick. But I like Shimano, so I would get the Jamis.
Old 05-12-20, 06:00 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,493 Times in 4,189 Posts
The space horse is a really versatile designed traditional style frame, but with disc brakes. It uses an old style of dropout, but it works perfectly fine. With proper tension and mounting, a qr disc bike no worse than a thru axle disc bike.

All city has never been one to provide clear value for the dollar. i have done a few exercises where i price out components plus their frame and the full build ends up being higher level for the same price or cheaper for equal level.
Promax cable disc brakes, fsa crank, cane creek 10 headset, etc all support the stereotype.

A carbon fork isn't going to kill you. Downhill MTBs are made with carbon and go thru way more absue than you will experience. Of course the frame is designed differently, but the point is- carbon neednt be fragile. Just don't curb stomp your fork and it'll be fine. The jamis fork is designed to handle people for sure heavier than you, and its designed to be loaded down with gear and ridden off pavement. It isnt fragile.

Bikes aren't always a best value decision. This is a hobby and getting the most for your dollar doesn't need to be the top priority. It certainly can be at times, but it doesn't need to be.
Thats just worth saying in general since too often in this hobby, the cost of something takes priority when comparing options.

To me...
- the jamis will be lighter, have more modern component standards, shimano is more appealing, and the disc brakes are better.
- the space horse has a cool paint job and nice looking curved fork.
Old 05-12-20, 06:27 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Renegade all the way on this one. On the Sbace Horse a lot of teh price goes into marketing and ba=rand image. With Jamis everything you pay goes intu the frame and components. You definitely want TA not QR if you are doing any amount of gravel. The Renegade is a simply outstanding and MODERN bike. The SpaceHorse is a good bike by old bike by standards of 8 years ago.
Old 05-12-20, 06:54 PM
joebiker1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, I am surprised at the resounding (so far) responses for the Jamis. I had a feeling this was the case, but you guys are confirming it for me. Some great info, thanks.
Old 05-12-20, 07:04 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
I vote for the Renegade. It has lower gearing, thru-axles, wider rims.
Old 05-12-20, 09:16 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
The Soma Fog Cutter is another option with a steel fork that has to purchased as a frame. It has QR like the Space Horse, but they sent a newsletter about a week ago which said that they are planning a TA with flat mount discs for 2021.
The Fog Cutter, our endurance road disc frame, will be updated to thru-axles and flat mount brakes in the rear and on the carbon fork. The steel fork option might still be available in QR format.
The steel fork is one of the main reasons why I have the current Fog Cutter. Quick release and I.S. brakes don't bug me.
Old 05-13-20, 06:29 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,970 Times in 4,692 Posts
I have a Space Horse, and agree with mstateglfr ’s comments in post #4. (Mine is the last version, with Shimano 105 components – a much better deal than the current parts spec.)
Old 05-13-20, 07:59 AM
Toadmeister

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Fargo 1x12, 2019 Jamis Renegade Exploit 1x11. Motobacne NX Fat Tire

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 170 Posts
I have the 2019 Jamis Renegade with Carbon fork and love it. I use it for gravel, road, and bikepacking. I prefer a 1x11 drivetrain.
Old 05-13-20, 10:47 AM
TJtheWrecker

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 11 Posts
Just sent you a PM regarding Jamis Renegade S3.
Old 05-13-20, 11:20 AM
joebiker1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I saw your PM, I can't respond because I don't have 10 posts yet. I need to get sized, so not sure about the fit at this point.
Old 05-13-20, 11:23 AM
TJtheWrecker

If it helps, I'm 6"4 and 36 in inseam, so 58 was bit small for me. Let me know if you're interested, and it can likely be a good deal for both of us.
Old 05-13-20, 02:58 PM
thenomad
Riding like its 1990

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Jamis looks like it ticks all the boxes and if you're going to spend real money then why not get something that the upgrades will be easy on in the future.
For me I'd be leaning towards the space horse only because I have components like brakes, QR disc wheels, crank and derailleurs etc that I know will fit right on. SO for me I'd be able to do a direct swap if I picked up a frame. I'd prefer to go the newer route but 'd have to spend real money.
Old 05-15-20, 04:30 PM
joebiker1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ended up going to check sizes today and the LBS had neither the space horse nor the renegade in stock but had a surly midnight special with 650b’s in my size. I test rode and man was that a nice bike. More than I wanted to spend, but I am seriously thinking of pulling the trigger on that tomorrow if it hasn’t sold. The SRAM shifting was kind of nice actually, and the 1x crank had plenty for speed on roads.
Old 05-15-20, 06:46 PM
bonsai171

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by joebiker1
I ended up going to check sizes today and the LBS had neither the space horse nor the renegade in stock but had a surly midnight special with 650b’s in my size. I test rode and man was that a nice bike. More than I wanted to spend, but I am seriously thinking of pulling the trigger on that tomorrow if it hasn’t sold. The SRAM shifting was kind of nice actually, and the 1x crank had plenty for speed on roads.
This wasn't one of your options, but in your budget. Check out the Salsa Warbird at Tree Fort bikes. They are selling for 2k. Just got the one with a SRAM Apex drivetrain. It doesn't have hydro brakes, but that can be a plus if you are bike packing, since the cable can be easily changed. Also, it is a full carbon bike. Pretty hard to beat for the price, and lighter than the Renegade. I was literally about to buy a Renegade frameset and build, but someone on here mentioned it. It is also super comfy. Check it out

Dave
Old 05-16-20, 01:11 PM
joebiker1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, I ended up getting the Midnight Special today, I just couldn't resist. Thanks for all the help to everyone, and TJ, good luck selling your Renegade.
Old 05-16-20, 01:17 PM
TJtheWrecker

Thanks!! Congrats the midnight special is so sweet. Haha I managed to return it for store credit and got the new diverge.