Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Rock Shox SID Damping Adjustment

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-12, 06:36 PM
Discusman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Guys,

My bike has a Rock Shox SID Fork and it feels a bit too soft. The damping travels 50%. How can I make it a little more stiffer?

I bought the bike in 2003, so I believe the SID should be the 2002 or 2003 version.

Thanks
Old 03-26-12, 09:18 PM
electrik
Single-serving poster

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Put more air in the air-spring or buy a new spring if it's coil.
Old 03-27-12, 07:01 PM
Discusman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by electrik
Put more air in the air-spring or buy a new spring if it's coil.
What type of air pump do I use for this procedure? I couldn't find any step by step instruction for this.

Do I connect the pump to the bottom end of the fork?
Old 03-27-12, 07:47 PM
electrik
Single-serving poster

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Discusman
What type of air pump do I use for this procedure? I couldn't find any step by step instruction for this.

Do I connect the pump to the bottom end of the fork?
It's called a shock pump. I have no idea about your fork specifically, so search for the manual using google and i'm sure it will help you.
Old 03-27-12, 09:34 PM
Tuc
collector

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is the 2003-2004 Service manual (black) - is yours the older gold one? https://www.birota.ru/manuals/rocksho...rviceGuide.pdf
Old 03-28-12, 06:29 PM
Discusman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the link. Mine looks slightly different than the one shown in the manual in your link. My damping shaft is gold, but it's silver/gray outside. And the positive seems at the bottom and the negative is at the top, both of them are on the left side of the shock. The right side has the cable attached control for fast speed/low speed damping.

Should equal air pressure for both postive and negative air chamber?
Old 03-31-12, 05:46 AM
born2bahick
Official Website Waterboy

Bikes: a lot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Discusman
Thanks for the link. Mine looks slightly different than the one shown in the manual in your link. My damping shaft is gold, but it's silver/gray outside. And the positive seems at the bottom and the negative is at the top, both of them are on the left side of the shock. The right side has the cable attached control for fast speed/low speed damping.

Should equal air pressure for both postive and negative air chamber?
As far as I know the positive is always the top chamber. add air to the positive chamber until recommended sag is obtained, add the same pressure to the negative chamber and try it.
Old 03-31-12, 09:26 AM
Discusman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by born2bahick
As far as I know the positive is always the top chamber. add air to the positive chamber until recommended sag is obtained, add the same pressure to the negative chamber and try it.
Thanks for this information. Would you think worth to purchase a shock pump and do it myself or pay the LBS to add air to the fork? I'm assuming I dont need to do this adjustment once the right sag is obtained.
Old 03-31-12, 10:00 AM
Grambo

Bikes: IF Ti Crown Jewel, Moots Mooto X RSL 29er, Fat Chance Yo Eddy, Lynskey Pro Cross

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Given the shock requires periodic adjustment you may want to consider buying a pump. That having been said if your LBS won't adjust the pressure setting gratis you need to find a new LBS ..... it takes all of 2 minutes to adjust both positive and negative chambers. I would check the PDF manuals from Sram and know what the correct pressure setting for your SID (make sure you find the right one ... the settings vary significantly depending on the year ... u should be able to find the PDF in the technical section on their website) are given your weight and just ask your LBS to adjust to those settings. Also, the seals in the fork do wear out & leak so without the pump which includes a built in pressure gauge you won't know if your seals are leaking (measure several times over the course of a week or two and see if the pressure remains constant).
Old 03-31-12, 10:19 AM
Tuc
collector

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My LBS pumped up my Marzoochi for free, I tried to give them money and asked the shop guy a couple of times to write a ticket. Yeah, it is like a two minute job with the right shock pump, but they just had a basic one made for Rock Shocks for $14 - The Marz has its Schrader valve waaaay up in the tube and that takes a pump with a long solid pipe to put air in with. The LBS guy used a pair of pliers to turn his pump nozzle around and around - took like 10 minutes and he still wouldn't charge me. Yeah, I buy a lot of stuff there but it is a busy store and I really don't use the mechanics there very often so I don't think that is why.
Old 03-31-12, 06:47 PM
Discusman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ended up purchasing a Specialized Shock Pump and it was the only shock pump they have it. The store wants $10 for the front fork air adjustment and told me it is not easy to obtain the right sag. So I bought the shock pump and finished the job in 2 minutes. There is a rider weight and air pressure table on the shock leg. So I put 100 psi into both postive and negative air chamber.

My fork is the 2002 SID SL. The shock is 10 yrs old and had never been serviced. However, the bike has very few miles on it. Now I started mountain biking on every weekend. It's difficult for me to find a LBS to do the service on my shock. I read the PDF Rock shox manual and the service process seems a bit of challenge for me due to lack of equipment and space for the job.

How much would it cost to perform such service on my rock shox? I have no idea. Hopefully someone can give me a ball park number. Thanks

Last edited by Discusman; 03-31-12 at 08:28 PM.