Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Who makes the best bike shop-quality air pump?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Who makes the best bike shop-quality air pump?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-10, 08:51 PM
onetwentyeight 
blah

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I use a Silca pro pista but swapped the chuck for one from a Japanese company called Hirame. I've never used anything better.
Old 07-19-10, 11:59 PM
desconhecido 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 107 Posts
I like the Silca. Mine has a deep head which will swallow a whole bunch of Presta. then there is the lever that tightens up the rubber. Pump it, release the lever, and the head comes right off, no problem. Replace the leather washer the other day -- piece of cake.
Old 07-20-10, 12:10 PM
Charles Ramsey

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
I put some dow corning high vacuum grease in a zefal the presure capability went from 110 to 160 +

Old 09-14-10, 09:15 PM
common man

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by well biked
Serfas warranty is second to none, and that pump has a lifetime warranty, no questions asked. Go to the nearest bike shop that carries Serfas products and they'll get you a free replacement. I had a customer bring in a Serfas FP 200, a less expensive pump than yours, and ask me if there was anything I could do about a warranty replacement. The pump was old and faded, and was not purchased at our shop. But Serfas stresses their warranty, and basically says "make the customer happy, we'll take care of you." We carry the FP 200, and I gave the customer a new one. I placed an order with Serfas a few days later, mentioned the warranty pump, and they instantly put an extra FP200 on our order, no charge.
you sir have sold me a serfas pump. i'll go to my lbs and order the serfas tcpg pump. it seems like a durable pump. the fmp 500 seems to be much more than what i need (260 psi!!!). unless the 500 is more durable, i don't see any reason to go for it. i don't mind taking a little more time to pump the tire.
Old 09-14-10, 11:05 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
I don't think there is one best pump, I think there are several really good ones that shops use. Joe Blow with the easy to read gauge on top has been a real good pump; Silca Super Pista's have been around a very long time and they just keep pumping; Blackburn Air Tower HP; Pedros Super Prestige; Zefal d'elegance (difficult to find). Any of these pumps would be great, I suggest you google them all and buy the one that you find with the best price.
Old 09-15-10, 02:29 AM
531phile 
I'm Carbon Curious

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by common man
you sir have sold me a serfas pump. i'll go to my lbs and order the serfas tcpg pump. it seems like a durable pump. the fmp 500 seems to be much more than what i need (260 psi!!!). unless the 500 is more durable, i don't see any reason to go for it. i don't mind taking a little more time to pump the tire.
I have the Serfas FP 200. I use a higher end Blackburn at work and I still prefer the lower end Serfas. Glad to know that Serfas has our back with their killer warranty policy.
Old 09-15-10, 10:57 AM
nhluhr
John Wayne Toilet Paper

Bikes: BH carbon, Ritchey steel, Kona aluminum

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Silca SuperPista. The narrow-ish diameter makes pumping high pressure tires easy. The Super Pista is longer than the normal Pista to get more air per stroke. Replacement parts are readily available and cheap for when you wear them out. it's truly a lifetime pump.
Old 09-16-10, 09:31 AM
Bekologist
totally louche

Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
ALL floor pumps blow. just don't by yours at a discount retailer and you should be fine for home, even heavy home use for many years.

Like many have mentioned, the major bike shop lines like serfas, trek, specialized do really support the customer. i personally like Blackburn for their lifetime warranty service.
Old 09-16-10, 10:21 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
I've had a Specialized pump for 10 to 15 years. The only thing that I've done to it is to replace the original chuck with a Smart Head. I have an air compressor at home, but I find the Specialized floor pump is usually faster for high pressure Presta tires. I'm going to be sagging a century ride on Saturday and the Specialized pump will be riding with me.
Old 09-16-10, 10:43 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I've got a Medai for Schrader valves, and a Silca for Presta valves ,

both are 20 years old, and still work fine.
Old 09-16-10, 11:49 AM
BCRider

Bikes: Norco (2), Miyata, Canondale, Soma, Redline

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by LUCAS
I have a Lezyne. And the chuck has made torn-off presta stems a non-issue for me. I'll take slow, sturdy and reliable any day.
I'm with you on this count. The time it takes me to remove the push on style in a way that avoids much of the stress that goes onto the stem makes it take longer than it would if I were using a screw on head. I'll be ordering my own Lezyne based on this thread and the happy owners.
Old 09-16-10, 12:06 PM
Garthr

Bikes: Franklin Frames Custom, Rivendell Bombadil

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 127 Posts
Another Silca vote, I've had mine since 1985 . I replaced the leather washer once. I replaced the head about 10 years ago to a Topeak Smart Head, and the one area the Silca was weak. The paint is about gone, but that Columbus cro-moly doesn't rust too fast.
Old 09-16-10, 05:10 PM
nateintokyo

Bikes: SE Quadrangle, '82 Venus NJS, '03 Bianchi Pista, '86 P'sonic Mt Cat, Fat City Yo Eddy '91 + '93, B'cuda A2E, '86 Trek Elance 400, '88 Centurion D.Scott Expert, '88 Fisher Mt Tam (and no longer with me: SE OM Flyer, Umezawa/B-stone/Samson NJS)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
SKS Rennkompressor and a Hirame chuck (presta only).