Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

My first day wrenching at a bike shop!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

My first day wrenching at a bike shop!

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-10, 07:54 AM
top506
Death fork? Naaaah!!

Bikes: Seriously downsizing.

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 629 Times in 280 Posts
Originally Posted by cycleheimer
To say the least. It can be a nightmare. You work on a low-end bike that has been trashed by an emotionally disturbed kid, and then you have to deal with the emotionally disturbed parents they come to pick it up and pay. I just remember a few mechanics who drank (booze) more than they should have.
Roger that!
My corporate master once ran a 'ten dollar tune-up' promotion that filled my repair racks with more junk abandoned behind sheds, dug up under porches, dragged from ponds, culled from garage sales or pulled from dumpsters. Lots of vodka a la Russe that week.......
Thank Christ they haven't repeated the error.

(looking for a picture and not seeing it? Thank the Photobucket fiasco.PM me and I'll link it up.)
Old 08-29-10, 09:08 AM
Bikedued

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by bumpalong
This makes me think ... Maybe we could gradually infiltrate ourselves into LBS's around the nation... Gradually let the people hear the real goods on aluminium and carbon... Reclaim the nation in the interest of lugged steel... I see a Million Lightweights March ahead.... a double butted 531 in every garage...

OK... It's on .... Hand me an apron... I'm right behind ya Bikedued...
Best idea I've heard in quite a while.,,,,BD
Old 08-29-10, 09:33 AM
raverson

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
When my wife and I moved north in '07 I took a year off work while our house was being built. To fill the time I worked part time at the local shop. The majority of my work day was spent assembling new Giant and Redline bicycles, mostly mtbs, bmx, hybrids, and doing the ordinary tuneups and flat repair. I even installed my first set of training wheels. Working one on one with the owner of the shop, who had expert bicycle skills and knowledge was a valuable learning experience for me. He was also very willing to let me buy parts from him at his cost to help meet his suppliers buying minimum.

I wish you much success in this new endeavor Bikedued and look forward to reading more.
Old 08-29-10, 10:26 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,390 Times in 2,092 Posts
To say the least. It can be a nightmare. You work on a low-end bike that has been trashed by an emotionally disturbed kid, and then you have to deal with the emotionally disturbed parents they come to pick it up and pay.
That's what the phrase: "we can't fix that" is for.

-Kurt

Old 08-29-10, 11:02 AM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
bikedued, too bad you're not working in NC. Then wrk101, wahoo, Robbie Tunes and good ol' roccobike could come in and harass you. Just think, of all the stuck seat posts and vintage stems we could throw your way.
Old 08-29-10, 11:42 AM
Zaphod Beeblebrox 
PanGalacticGargleBlaster

Bikes: Upright and Recumbent....too many to list, mostly Vintage.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
So is this gonna be a full time gig or just weekends?

sounds like fun.

I second the huffy brake adjustment comments though and raise it a "Spend all day changing Tires"
Old 08-30-10, 10:11 PM
DavidW56

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikedued
Jeez Dave, you have a bad morning already?,,,,BD
Actually, I did, but I oughtn't take it out on you-all here. My apologies. My reply had a typo -- it should read "Congratulations and good luck on your exciting new job!" Or pastime, as it were.

Still, as other posters pointed out here already -- bike shops live on fixing mundane problems on mundane bikes. I truly am curious how much of that you can tolerate without the occasional interesting bike to break the monotony. And, I am also truly curious how anyone can make a living on bike shop pay -- without having other resources at their disposal.
Old 08-31-10, 09:40 AM
onetwentyeight 
blah

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Very carefully and check to check... tiny apartments and a willingness to live in bad neighborhoods...
Old 08-31-10, 09:56 AM
leftthread

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 213 Times in 105 Posts
Good luck, BD.
Old 08-31-10, 02:18 PM
miamijim

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts
I worked full time is a shop for 12 years and looked after things when the owners went on vacation. The most money I made in a year was $16,641.

It was fun for awhile and I learned alot. Fortunately, in hindsight, I was able to work in the buisness during the transition to more features like, STI/Ergo levers, indexing, cassette hubs, threadless stems and suspension systems.

It was fun untill you realize a take home pay of $225 gets you nowhere.
Old 08-31-10, 06:09 PM
Bikedued

Even the bad neighborhoods in Lake Charles pale in comparison to my old neighborhood in Houston. For the record I have two jobs at the moment. About 30-34 a week at the auto parts store, and maybe 25 at the bike shop for right now. I am working 7:15 to 10 at the bike shop catch up wrenching off hours, then 10 to 5 at the parts store, then an hour or so after at the bike shop again. Annnnd, I am riding there and back home. At 42 I'm not sure if this schedule is going to tear me up, or make me stronger and richer. For the time being I am liking the hours.

I might drive tomorrow though. I'll have one day this week where I am not sticky for 10 hours a day, .,,,,BD
Old 09-01-10, 01:38 PM
DavidW56

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Bikedued, Miamijim, and all the others here who have worked or are working now in a bike shop, my hat is off to you. Yes, I'm sure it is interesting work -- for awhile, anyway -- but I couldn't do it, and I bet most people on this forum couldn't do it, either, not for the length of time it takes to keep a bike shop (or any proprietorship) in business. You really gotta love what you are doing, and not care too much about big financial reward. Yet, where would the rest of us be without our local bike shops? Nowhere, that's where. That's why I'm extra polite to my LBS people -- and, to you folks on Bikeforums, too. Again, apologies if I slip.

But $16k per year? Man, I applaud you for making it on that income. I have three kids in college this fall. $16K does not pay the tuition alone. I make substantially more than that, but it's not enough. Not to mention mortgage, utilities, etc. And oh -- go ahead and laugh -- insurance for five cars.
Old 09-12-10, 07:34 PM
Bikedued

Well, I've been offered full time work at the bike shop, and I am giving two week notice at the auto parts store in the morning. I will be making more, and 6 days a week instead of 4.5-5... There was also a raise mentioned down the line, and training too(Barnetts). They're about to head into a VERY busy time though, opening a new store. Something like eighty bikes need to be built in the next month or so. I am actually enjoying my job, which is something I've not been able to say for years.,,,,BD

Last edited by Bikedued; 09-12-10 at 07:38 PM.
Old 09-12-10, 07:36 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Congratulations BD.

Old 09-12-10, 07:40 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3089 Post(s)
Liked 6,590 Times in 3,780 Posts
Awesome! Congrats.

Old 09-12-10, 08:09 PM
Chris W.

Bikes: 76' Centrurion Pro-Tour, 86' Specialized Rock Hopper, 88' Centurion Iron Man, 89' Bruce Gordon "Hikari", 95' Rock Hopper Ultra.

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Very happy for you!

Cheers,
Chris
Old 09-12-10, 08:21 PM
duckforcover

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
15 years not including a few straggling years working from home garage, etc...

About, 7 shops.... maybe 8, I don't remember.

It's the people I miss

...roll with the punches.
Old 09-12-10, 08:22 PM
auchencrow

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 33 Posts
BD -
Old 09-12-10, 08:38 PM
jan nikolajsen 
Mostly Mischief

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 24 Posts
I'm psyched for you. Hope the store is well run and stay afloat. Enjoy, money is not everything..
Old 09-12-10, 08:39 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,828 Times in 1,995 Posts
To say the least. It can be a nightmare. You work on a low-end bike that has been trashed by an emotionally disturbed kid, and then you have to deal with the emotionally disturbed parents they come to pick it up and pay. I just remember a few mechanics who drank (booze) more than they should have. Anyway, I hope he enjoys the honeymoon...and only sees better quality adult road bikes.
This is where writing the service ticket is important. When I started I wrote those service orders as fast as I was allowed, the owner would gloss over stuff, and leave the mechanic to contend with the one hour "check service" that was really a two hour job. This was all before index shifting. I found if you give the customer genuine attention, don't waste time and review the magnitude of the job, there are few surprises and the customer is happy.

The scariest time was when the owner sent me to help with a bike rodeo at a local elementary school, this was an upscale neighborhood, and I was doing safety checks, there was hardly a bike I would have been willing to ride, glaring problems. I got through to some parents, others thought I was just drumming up work, I told them "I don't care where you get it fixed, but get this attended to, or do you have a big insurance policy out on your kid that you want to collect on?" That woke them up. Then they asked me to repeat what was needed.
Old 09-12-10, 09:07 PM
DavidW56

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Congratulations, Bikedued! Always nice to be wanted by an employer. Don't burn bridges behind you.
Old 09-12-10, 11:33 PM
Bikedued

The last person that gave notice gave a week, and was told that very day was their last day. I am giving two weeks, and if that's their reaction still, then I won't feel "I" burned a bridge. I am hoping for at least understanding, but you never know.,,,,BD
Old 09-13-10, 05:26 AM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by auchencrow
BD -

Just a fair warning, because I can see a moral dilemma looming the first time someone comes in with a fine old road bike to have a huge gel seat and riser handle bars installed. The proprietor will probably counter with " the customer is always right" or some such inane drivel.
And unfortunately, the boss IS right. This is the guy that's paying your salary. The guy keeping himself in business by keeping the customer (no matter how idiotic) satisfied. Whatever he wants, up to an including a Drew-ed bike is to be provided. This is work. It is totally separate from C&V collecting, which is your hobby. Make sure you can keep the two separate. If you can't, this ain't the job for you.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Old 09-13-10, 05:27 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3089 Post(s)
Liked 6,590 Times in 3,780 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikedued
The last person that gave notice gave a week, and was told that very day was their last day. I am giving two weeks, and if that's their reaction still, then I won't feel "I" burned a bridge. I am hoping for at least understanding, but you never know.,,,,BD
I left once gave a sales job a 9 day notice where often they just let you go if you tell them you are leaving to work for a competitor. I was allowed to finish out my time.

17 years later I was rehired by them. You never know.

Old 09-13-10, 05:37 AM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by DavidW56
Still, as other posters pointed out here already -- bike shops live on fixing mundane problems on mundane bikes. I truly am curious how much of that you can tolerate without the occasional interesting bike to break the monotony. And, I am also truly curious how anyone can make a living on bike shop pay -- without having other resources at their disposal.
While adding my own congratulations to the mix, I'll also (in all honesty) have to add the caveats: 1. The worse, cheaper, especially if not originally purchased there, the bike; the more potential for an unreasonable customer. 2. You will rarely, if ever, see a piece of classic vintage steel. Actually, it'll turn out to be so seldom, you'll probably report every one to this list. 3. Finally: This IS a job. Don't let it wreck your love for vintage bicycles. If you start getting burned with the day-to-day crap that comes through the shop, quit!

Yes, I have wonderful memories, repeated over and over, of my days at AR Adams. However, I've never told any of the stories of the cheap bastards bringing in crapped out Columbia's (if I was lucky) and demanding miracles for less than $10.00. And they sure outnumbered the wonderful days of really nice owners with gorgeous Italian steeds. Fortunately, at the time I was just really getting off on the concept of bicycling, period, so neat (nonexistant in 1970) classic bikes weren't necessary.

Bottom line: The nicer, more desirable the bicycle; the better the odds that the owner knows how to work on it himself. NOBODY who buys at WalMart understands how to twirl a wrench.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.