Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Official Thread for the 50+ 5th Annual Ride

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Official Thread for the 50+ 5th Annual Ride

Old 07-28-13, 09:26 PM
miss kenton

Bikes: Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by freedomrider1
You kids are going to have so much fun.
You were spot on, freedomrider!

Our trip to Boston was more fun than I could have ever anticipated. I would highly recommend a visit to Boston to anyone. What a beautiful city--and if you are lucky enough to have someone as conscientious, thoughtful, and generous as Jim from Boston guiding you through that trip, you'll have it made!

We were able to see some really interesting things in Boston, and Boston has a great deal to offer. We were only there for the weekend, but I wish we had had more time to see the city.

I have met Jim before and knew that he would work hard to make the trip fun and interesting, and he delivered! Meeting miss jean and Marc was a pure delight! They are great people and I truly enjoyed the time we spent together. Though I was disappointed that more 50+members couldn't make the trip, I found that being in a small group made it easier to get to know each other than it might have been with a large group. I wish miss jean had been able to join us for Saturday's ride as I think she would have enjoyed that and been a great addition to our group.

Though not normally a "rain rider", I thoroughly enjoyed Friday night's ride around the Charles River, especially since Jim took us to see Harvard's campus, a location I was hoping I'd get to see. That ride gave me a new outlook toward riding in the rain and I would go so far as to say I found it invigorating! (Of course, the venue and temperature made it more fun than it might have been at home. In fact, we arrived back in NJ at 5:30 this evening to torrential rain and my first thought was "Toto, we're not in Boston anymore!" I had no desire to ride in the rain.)

Saturday's ride was fabulous-one of the best I've experienced! The weather was perfect, the route was shady and the scenery idyllic, with a new surprise around every turn in the path. Even with Tom's flat and my chain falling off, I can find no complaint with anything. I would love to ride there again. As Jim mentioned, Marc has a great sense of humour and had me laughing throughout our visit.

There is something very special and unique about meeting the people behind the posts on the forums. They are not fictionalized personalities, anymore than are the people you meet at work, or church, or through other friends. I would suggest that the majority here are simply people with common bonds--their age and a love of cycling. Some also share an interest in travel, new experiences, and a desire to meet and enjoy the company of like-minded people. IMO if you don't at least see the value of that opportunity, you are missing out on an amazing element of this forum.

Thanks again, to Jim and Marc for scaling back their rides to match the not-so intrepid spirits of the "Kentons."

I will post pictures once my camera has "recharged."
Old 07-28-13, 10:51 PM
jdon

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
A truly nice group of people riding in one of the best American cities. Sounds like it was a great weekend. Sorry I couldn't attend. I so wanted to meet my blueberry nemesis and her obviously saintly spouse.
Old 07-29-13, 08:50 AM
Bikey Mikey

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Sounds like you all had a great time. I'll have to think about doing this next year--my wife has an uncle in Boxford.
Old 07-29-13, 06:43 PM
TheMister

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I want to thank Jim for a most enjoyable tour of Boston and vicinity! Miss Kenton and I had a blast!
Enjoy the pix!
https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/1...99027202391697
Old 07-29-13, 06:55 PM
miss kenton

Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jdon
A truly nice group of people riding in one of the best American cities. Sounds like it was a great weekend. Sorry I couldn't attend. I so wanted to meet my blueberry nemesis and her obviously saintly spouse.
I was disappointed to find you were too afraid, I mean, couldn't make the trip. However, you were there in spirit as I kept expecting to see you come flying out of the Massachusetts forest on your bike in a attempt to force me off the road.
Old 07-30-13, 06:24 AM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by miss kenton
Oh, Good. Now the 50+ members get to see Miss Kenton's alter-ego: "Miss Maleficent" If you're not convinced by the expression on my face, note the flames I've left on my trail!
Having a rough day, were you?

Wonderful report, all. I'm one who had and have regrets at not making it. We had visitors from out of town and I never have enough free time anyway. As it turns out we did some tandem riding on the Minuteman Bikeway, could have seen you maybe in Bedford.

The next time this ride orbits its way back to the northeast maybe we'll make it.
Old 07-30-13, 06:44 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by TheMister
I want to thank Jim for a most enjoyable tour of Boston and vicinity! Miss Kenton and I had a blast!
Enjoy the pix!
https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/1...99027202391697
Hey Mistah,

Welcome to the Forums.

Jim from Bahstan
Old 07-30-13, 12:17 PM
freedomrider1

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Where is Bahstan, middle east somewhere? Jim did you move?
Old 07-30-13, 12:20 PM
freedomrider1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome The Mister,and very nice photos.
Old 07-30-13, 01:36 PM
Bikey Mikey

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If you aren't joking, it's Boston of Boston, Massachusetts --just spelled phonetically the way native Bostonians say it.
Old 07-30-13, 03:35 PM
Jim from Boston

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Hey Mistah,

Welcome to the Forums.

Jim from Bahstan

Originally Posted by Bikey Mikey
If you aren't joking, it's Boston of Boston, Massachusetts --just spelled phonetically the way native Bostonians say it.
freedomrider1and I are acquaintances from the Third Annual Fifty Plus Ride and I'm sure he’s joking.

A well-known local Boston comic was asked to say, “Park the car in Harvard Yard (Pahk the cah in Hahvahd Yahd)” to which he replied, "Whaht ah ya, retahded?”
Old 07-30-13, 04:51 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
A well-known local Boston comic was asked to say, “Park the car in Harvard Yard (Pahk the cah in Hahvahd Yahd)” to which he replied, "Whaht ah ya, retahded?”
Volkswagon used to make a 2-seater called the Karman Ghia, pronounced locally as Common Gear.
Old 07-30-13, 04:59 PM
Jim from Boston

Originally Posted by jimmuller
Volkswagon used to make a 2-seater called the Karman Ghia, pronounced locally as Common Gear.
When I took the visiting Fifty-Plus bunch out to Quincy Mahket, I told them we would get on the (T) [subway] at "Gummint Centah" (Government Center).

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 07-30-13 at 05:03 PM.
Old 07-30-13, 05:25 PM
freedomrider1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 07-30-13, 07:22 PM
irwin7638

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 47 Posts
I am finally recovering from my return trip. You will be glad to know I managed to save some time by detouring around the construction in Ohio, I saved nearly an hour which reduced the trip to 19 . I don't want to be redundant since Jim and Diane provided such great details, but Jim was an exceptionally gracious host and the Kentons were a real pleasure to ride and "hang" with. I loved Bahstahn a bunch, one cannot really call it a college town, it is the college town and consequently has become very bike friendly. I was really impressed with the bike infrastructure developed in the town and the overall safety of the city. It's a shame more people didn't arrange to come, I found the place really affordable and easy to visit. I will be posting more photos and details of the trip on my blog during the next couple of days. Right now, I am going to have something to eat and go back to bed.

Marc

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0638.JPG (88.9 KB, 722 views)
IMG_0650.JPG (86.8 KB, 371 views)
IMG_0657.JPG (93.6 KB, 375 views)
IMG_0672.JPG (63.8 KB, 371 views)
Old 07-30-13, 07:33 PM
miss kenton

Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by irwin7638
I am finally recovering from my return trip. You will be glad to know I managed to save some time by detouring around the construction in Ohio, I saved nearly an hour which reduced the trip to 19 . I don't want to be redundant since Jim and Diane provided such great details, but Jim was an exceptionally gracious host and the Kentons were a real pleasure to ride and "hang" with. I loved Bahstahn a bunch, one cannot really call it a college town, it is the college town and consequently has become very bike friendly. I was really impressed with the bike infrastructure developed in the town and the overall safety of the city. It's a shame more people didn't arrange to come, I found the place really affordable and easy to visit. I will be posting more photos and details of the trip on my blog during the next couple of days. Right now, I am going to have something to eat and go back to bed.

Marc

Great picture of THE NORTH END.
Old 07-31-13, 05:55 AM
billydonn
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
How can this ride be official with only one official jersey?

Just kidding guys. I enjoyed your report and hope to join in the next ride to keep my attendance grade up.
Old 07-31-13, 06:32 AM
irwin7638

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Great picture of THE NORTH END.
I think it's the Nahth Eind, I swear we just can't take you anywhere!

Marc
Old 07-31-13, 07:10 AM
Jim from Boston

I think it's the Nahth Eind, I swear we just can't take you anywhere!

Marc
At least she didn't call it "Lilittly" (Little Italy).

Next trip, they'll be tahkin' like wicked paisans.
Old 07-31-13, 07:44 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 363 Posts
I want to know who took the group photos. I'm betting we found a better looking photographer on the Katy.

Unfortunately, none of us had the composure of mind to take her picture. Where was the Deege when we needed him?
Old 07-31-13, 09:03 AM
Jim from Boston

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
I want to know who took the group photos. I'm betting we found a better looking photographer on the Katy.

Unfortunately, none of us had the composure of mind to take her picture. Where was the Deege when we needed him?

Originally Posted by JerrySTL
Hi Dave,

Thanks for the photos. Definitely the camera was pointed in the wrong direction at Bikini Crossing!...
No pics so it didn’t happen.
Old 07-31-13, 10:10 AM
irwin7638

I did write a summary of the weekend on my blog. I'm too tired to do it twice, you'll just have to go there.
More pics, and just for the record, I cheat and carry a small tripod for group things.

Marc
Old 07-31-13, 12:56 PM
Jim from Boston

I did write a summary of the weekend on my blog. I'm too tired to do it twice, you'll just have to go there.
More pics, and just for the record, I cheat and carry a small tripod for group things.

Marc
Click on "my blog" in the quote box.

Great report, Marc...wicked pissah!

Seriously, it was very well written and the text and photos really captured not only the joie de vivre of the weekend, but also the milieu of Boston.

For example:

Originally Posted by Marc
The South End has become the Brooklyn of Massachusetts. Fully gentrified with grown up hippies, it has developed it's own selection of trendy restaurants and shops selling handmade stuff and bottled unicorn farts. I like it! Screw Portland, Boston is real!
I'm so glad you got your tablet back.
Old 07-31-13, 05:53 PM
miss kenton

Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts

Marc

Nice report and an accurate depiction of Boston ! I am honored to be mentioned in your blog, Marc.
When I read the part about the french fry, it reminded me of something I meant to mention to you on our ride. When battling an incline, my determination is based not on ability, but on an anxiety that overlaps many areas of my life: If I lollygag, even briefly, I may roll backwards at a pace much quicker than I have ascended.

Old 07-31-13, 06:02 PM
irwin7638

I may roll backwards at a pace much quicker than I have ascended.

I kinda doubt it.

Marc

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.