Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Help me choose a CamelBak.....

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Help me choose a CamelBak.....

Old 09-18-05, 03:10 PM
Crankaddict

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That will also double as my purse (Yes, I'm a middle aged female) at work. I need to be able to carry my stuff. My commute is 23 miles RT. I have been using my panniers to carry my change of clothes and lunch but my personal things like wallet, phone, medications (several), and various other purse crap has been stuffed into a ziplock bag. I have a CamelBak 'Siren' but it doesn't have the cargo space that I need so I have not been using it. I have also managed to leave without water bottles 2 days in the past week due to this problem.

I am not style conscious but I do place a heavy value on function. My Siren CamelBak is great for what I purchased it for when I bought it 3 years ago, but it isn't cutting it now.

Any suggestions? I bought small backpack thinking I could just use the bladder from the Siren but even though it is a small pack it is too big and there is nothing to support the bladder.

I don't think I want a fanny pack. I have a big enough butt as it is.....
Old 09-18-05, 03:26 PM
New2Cycling

Bikes: Schwinn Range Searcher

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.camelbak.com/rec/products.cfm

you may want to check out camelback's site. They have an option selector for how much stuff you want to carry in your bag. Hope this helps.
Old 09-18-05, 03:55 PM
Walkafire

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
I have a camelbak I never use... I hate having anything on my back.

I use Water Bottles...

Old 09-18-05, 05:26 PM
bison33

Bikes: Devinci Amsterdam

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Or go for a small cycling backpack that has (or can put) a 2 litre platypus. Something like this...this is from a Canadian store that is all too famous up here but I'm sure you can find something similar down south.
https://www.mec.ca/Products/product_l...=1127085820422
Old 09-19-05, 01:29 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 38 Posts
I have and recommend a Camelbak M.U.L.E.. The 2005 model has a comfortable back pad that has channels which give good air circulation. It is 3 liters which is the largest sold. Yes, three liters is a lot but...My feeling is that you can put one or two liters in for a shorter ride but if you buy a one or two liter capacity bag you can't put in three for a longer ride. There is also good space for carrying items without being so large as to allow you to overstuff it like I might with a Blowfish or other huge capacity bag. I find it comfortable to wear and allows me flexibility. Good luck.
Old 09-19-05, 01:47 PM
meme
Buddha Khan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
give a shot to www.adventurebikes.info. i picked up this cool bag through some link in some section.
Old 09-19-05, 02:11 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, an orange one and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3978 Post(s)
Liked 1,397 Times in 863 Posts
Originally Posted by MAK
I have and recommend a Camelbak M.U.L.E.. The 2005 model has a comfortable back pad that has channels which give good air circulation. It is 3 liters which is the largest sold. Yes, three liters is a lot but...My feeling is that you can put one or two liters in for a shorter ride but if you buy a one or two liter capacity bag you can't put in three for a longer ride. There is also good space for carrying items without being so large as to allow you to overstuff it like I might with a Blowfish or other huge capacity bag. I find it comfortable to wear and allows me flexibility. Good luck.
My wife (5' tall) and my daughter (5'4") both like the CamelbakMagic. It's shorter than the MULE (also carries less water) and fits their backs better. My daughter used one on our 3 week trip along the western part of the Lewis and Clark Trail this summer and really liked it. It's as well insulated as the other Camelbak packs. We were able to pack ice in our Camelbaks in the morning (6am) and still have ice cold water by around 3pm, even in 100F temperatures!
If you need more space look at the Moxie.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!
Days of Wineless Roads. Bed and Breakfasting along the KATY
Twisting Down the Alley. Misadventures in tornado alley.
Old 09-21-05, 08:45 PM
jyossarian
SERENITY NOW!!!

Bikes: Haro Vector, IRO Rob Roy, Bianchi Veloce

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I use a Camelbak Blowfish. It fits a spare tube, travel first aid kit, 3 XL t-shirts, tools, energy bars, cell phone, water bottle, keys, etc. It also comes w/ a 100 oz. bladder.

We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!