Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

I don't care, I'm going to commute right now!

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

I don't care, I'm going to commute right now!

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-05, 06:35 PM
New2Cycling

Bikes: Schwinn Range Searcher

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CagerTools
hey all

okay, it was FUN.
So, how will it be without all that extra energy? I guess I'll see... of course I did talk to a beautiful girl today, so that got my adrenaline going too...

I got to tell you, I find I have more energy when I bike. Keep in mind my commute is only 5 mi. one way. It's like I'm more awake and stuff. I know how you feel about not wanting to pay for gas and get a decent workout at the same time. You'll find your body will adjust to it.
Old 09-24-05, 12:09 AM
nickgold

Bikes: 2004 Specialized Allez Comp Double

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I guess I'm off to a good start. I've had my bike for less than two weeks, and not only do I absolutely use my helmet every ride, but I can't imagine not using it.

But then again, I've been weaving through Baltimore city traffic. The health rish is probably a bit more than if I were exclusively biking in a low-populated area. As it is, I have cars whizzing by me quite closely a lot of the time. Any parked car door opening, any person stepping into the street from out of sight, any car unexpectedly making a turn -- these things are very REAL hazards in my riding conditions on a daily basis.

If/when the moment comes and I get into a scrape, you can be darn sure I'll be glad I have a helmet on.
Old 09-24-05, 02:06 AM
tokolosh

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love this. I seriously was fearing this whole thing for some reason.
it feels pretty scary to be out there on the road if you're more used to the protection of having a car around you, and the visibility of being the size of a car. that just makes sense. i'd worry more if someone started out without any worries, but that's based on my own knuckleheaded experiences.

the energy comes. it's amazing how much work it is to move a bike anywhere when your body's not used to it. it looks so easy and it's so much fun, so it's easy to forget that it's exercise too. try to hold out for a couple of weeks, and then you'll probably find that it's a whole new ball-game to your body.

as far as speed goes; heh. i put myself over my own handlebars and set myself back a good couple of months back in march or april by forgetting that in a city it's not just about how fast you can go, any more than it is with driving. it's also about how familiar you are with going that fast. ymmv, but i found that to me cycling and driving are not the same thing. bikes don't have seatbelts even if you can make that stop-on-a-dime, is one thing i learned.
Old 09-24-05, 01:41 PM
CagerTools
done with civilization

Bikes: Xtracycle connected to a Schwinn Sport Hybrid.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey All,

Yea it takes me about 15-20 minutes, counting the time to take my bike down the stairs, traffic lights, and all that. I don't go super fast, but I keep it at a decent speed.

I find most people are respectful, as people do bike more here...its one of the more "bike friendly" places in the US.

Although the first time out, a truck ahead of me, probably 30 feet, swerved into the bike lane.. I think he was trying to be an @$$hole or something. It does irk me though, to think... what if some guy is not paying attention, on his cell phone, and swerves into the bike lane and runs me over?

Honestly, what is the chance of this happening?

Because if it does happen frequently, I guess I don't mind driving... I just don't want to get hurt or die.

But in any case, I find it fun to ride, and pass people multiple times, while they get stuck in traffic.

I got myself a helmet... AND, since I got a flat BOTH times I've commuted so far (i have the worst luck), I purchased some thorn resistant tubes. I also got a little LED light for the front, and some reflector type sticker things on the back.

I spent around 80 bucks or so for all that... and I figure, if I can keep from driving for at least a few months, I will have saved that much in gas...

My biggest fear when starting to bike commute, was that people would hate me for biking... I don't know why I thought that. In reality, people are just minding their own business driving places, most I think are respectful, or just aware, of you. Of course I'm sure I'll encounter a few people who want to be annoying or whatever.
Old 09-24-05, 03:53 PM
Eggplant Jeff
45 miles/week

Bikes: Jamis Aurora

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't think anyone on here gets run over "frequently". Honestly it is pretty rare for me to even have a "close call"... and most of those are probably only close from my point of view, the driver isn't being careless just passing closer than I'm comfortable with.

Yeah most people will pretty much just ignore you... drive around you and not give you a second thought. There'll be the occasional "over polite" driver who will do something irritating (like wait for you even though they have the right of way) and there will be the occasional jerk who honks or passes close just to piss you off. But they're fairly rare, at least for me.
Old 09-25-05, 05:09 PM
New2Cycling

Bikes: Schwinn Range Searcher

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nickgold
I guess I'm off to a good start. I've had my bike for less than two weeks, and not only do I absolutely use my helmet every ride, but I can't imagine not using it.

But then again, I've been weaving through Baltimore city traffic. The health rish is probably a bit more than if I were exclusively biking in a low-populated area. As it is, I have cars whizzing by me quite closely a lot of the time. Any parked car door opening, any person stepping into the street from out of sight, any car unexpectedly making a turn -- these things are very REAL hazards in my riding conditions on a daily basis.

If/when the moment comes and I get into a scrape, you can be darn sure I'll be glad I have a helmet on.

You can also have them wizzing by you on the rural/surburban roads.
Old 09-25-05, 09:52 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by CagerTools
I got a flat BOTH times I've commuted so far (i have the worst luck), I purchased some thorn resistant tubes.
Was it thorns? Often flats are due to underinflated tires getting pinched between the rim and a hard edge in the road, so make sure they're well inflated.
R
Old 09-27-05, 06:04 AM
natelutkjohn
Cheesmonger Extraordinair

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 531phile
....You will also ride faster and more confidently with a helmet knowing that you have some protection.
You gotta be careful though, don't let the "partial security" of the helmet turn you into a dangerous cycler, that protection will harldy mean anything when you are in the hospital with a broken leg and off the bike for a long time due to some careless maneuver.
Old 09-27-05, 09:12 AM
CagerTools
done with civilization

Bikes: Xtracycle connected to a Schwinn Sport Hybrid.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My first flat was a goathead I think...the 2nd one was from a tiny peice of wire.

I put a Thorn Resistant tube on the back, and I have some goo in the front. So we'll see how that all holds up.
Old 09-27-05, 12:48 PM
jyossarian
SERENITY NOW!!!

Bikes: Haro Vector, IRO Rob Roy, Bianchi Veloce

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The one thing I noticed since I started commuting/riding on slicks is I have to inflate the tires more often. With my old knobbies, I would inflate them once every two months, but I'm inflating the slicks once a week or so.

We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!
Old 09-27-05, 05:13 PM
james_swift
All ur bike r belong Enki

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cooker
Go for it.

Caveats:

As someone who once cracked a helmet in a fall, I BELIEVE!!!

Bike lanes are great in the middle of the block except when they're obstructed...learn to shoulder check early and signal a lane change into the middle of the car lane.

Bike lanes do nothing for you at intersections, except perhaps lure you into danger. You do NOT want to find yourself between the curb and a right-turning vehicle, especially a large truck, as the rear wheels squeeze in on you as he turns, and may run right over you. Lots of cyclists have been killed that way.

When you're passing along the right of a row of gridlocked cars, watch for sudden door openings.
I'm a believer as well. I cracked 2 helmets. My dad cracked 1. We're both still walking around today because of that styrofoam lid.
Old 09-27-05, 05:47 PM
pinkrobe
DNPAIMFB

Bikes: Titus El Guapo, Misfit diSSent, Cervelo Soloist Carbon, Wabi Lightning, et al.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by james_swift
I'm a believer as well. I cracked 2 helmets.
Same here! Actually four, but one was while riding to work. I don't feel all that more brazen while wearing a helmut, since I know that if a car runs over my head, it will pop open like a coconut regardless...