Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Mirrors

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Mirrors

Old 10-02-05, 08:24 AM
New2Cycling

Bikes: Schwinn Range Searcher

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mirrors

Here's the deal- I've tried the mirror you hook onto your glasses, didn't like it. I have straight handlebars and I tried the mirror that sticks out to the side. I didn't like that one either. I have enough coordination to be able to look behind me without running into a tree or a ditch. However, I've been told I really should have a mirror. What do you all use, if anything? Thanks.
Old 10-02-05, 08:50 AM
michaelnel
Macaws Rock!

Bikes: 2005 Soma Doublecross

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I use the Take-A-Look one mounted on my glasses. Couldn't ride without it at this point, I'm so used to it being there.

San Francisco, California
Old 10-02-05, 09:04 AM
New2Cycling

Bikes: Schwinn Range Searcher

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe I just need to give it more time.
Old 10-02-05, 09:08 AM
ItsJustMe
Se˝ior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I've tried those too and didn't like them. The latest was take-a-look, which would be OK for some but I didn't like. The helmet mount was dodgy and my glasses are very thing wire-rimmed flexons, the mirror barely holds.

I just put on a CycleAware Reflex, and it's the best. The first day out, after a couple of miles, I realized that I had been checking behind me with the mirror totally without conscious effort. Of course, proper adjustment is critical, but once that's there, it's a great mirror.

I'll probably lose the bar-end now.
Old 10-02-05, 11:15 AM
oboeguy
34x25 FTW!

Bikes: Kona Jake, Scott CR1, Dahon SpeedPro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by michaelnel
I use the Take-A-Look one mounted on my glasses. Couldn't ride without it at this point, I'm so used to it being there.
Yeah it freaks me out when I don't have it. I was total non-believer, but I'm sold now.
Old 10-02-05, 11:32 AM
landstander
darling no baka

Location: I come from a place where the nuts hunt the squirrels

Bikes: Bike Friday New World Tourist, 2005 Trek 520, 2005 Raleigh Companion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use the CycleAware Reflex Mirror. I'm very happy with the beastie, although it did take a few days to get used to.
Old 10-02-05, 11:41 AM
rob3rto
rolling wheels and 88s

Bikes: schwinn crisscross, 06 giant bowery, iron horse warrior disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use this one:
https://www.rei.com/product/47905328.htm

I have it mounted on my bar end because I found it too low right out of the bar (I have straight bars as well).

It took a day or three to get used to it and find the perfect position, but now I wouldn't leave home without it.
Old 10-02-05, 01:21 PM
Longhorn
Burnt Orange Blood

Bikes: Trek 7200, Lashout Electric Bike, Raleigh Talon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use two Zefal Spy Mirrors attached to bar extensions. I also use an Ultralite helmet mirror (sold by my local cycling association) that attaches to my helmet.

Here's a photo of the bar mirror set-up:
Old 10-02-05, 02:23 PM
DIVA

Bikes: ALLEZ DOLCE

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I say give it more time b/c no doubt, it takes getting use too. Once you train your eyes to glance and ride at the same time, you will love it. I've had a mirror on my handle bars way back when I first started out, which was fine. What I really love about T-A-L in particular as cars/trucks up ahead is forever doubled parked, I just have to turn my head ever so slightly to get a wider view of what's behind me.. if anything before taking more of the road.
Old 10-02-05, 03:11 PM
Portis
Banned.

Bikes: Trek 4300 X 2. Trek 1000, Trek 6000

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ItsJustMe

I just put on a CycleAware Reflex, and it's the best. The first day out, after a couple of miles, I realized that I had been checking behind me with the mirror totally without conscious effort. Of course, proper adjustment is critical, but once that's there, it's a great mirror.

I'll probably lose the bar-end now.
Cycleaware Reflex is what i use as well. Works perfectly. Has for years.
Old 10-02-05, 03:20 PM
pharnabazos

Bikes: Zeus Professional, Juncker Calypso, Lotus Eclair, Dahon Speed, Raleigh Twenty

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ItsJustMe
I've tried those too and didn't like them. The latest was take-a-look, which would be OK for some but I didn't like. The helmet mount was dodgy and my glasses are very thing wire-rimmed flexons, the mirror barely holds.
I'd like to second the thin-wire glasses problem--if you have glasses that are rounded in the earpiece, then the mirror will roll off them and be a constant nuisance. I had the Third Eye eyeglass mirror and it was a total headache, until it fell one last time and met its end underneath the wheels of a cab.
Old 10-02-05, 03:24 PM
gear

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I too have tried mirrors, I just don't like using them.
Old 10-02-05, 03:26 PM
DIVA

Bikes: ALLEZ DOLCE

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Additional info:

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=139747
Old 10-02-05, 04:07 PM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I love using a mirror because it gives me better situational awareness - though I still always give a look before sticking my butt out into traffic. That said, just because a mirror is good for me doesn't make it good for you. Don't let someone else tell you that you 'should' have one, if you think you need one, by all means, otherwise, no worries.

I liked eyeglass mirrors, but I don't always wear glasses and I was always losing the darn things. Currently I have one mounted on my brake hoods, which is OK for me, but could be improved upon and doesn't help you a bit. I ordered on of these:
https://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=6700
It might be a better solution for me and it might serve your needs as well. Mine has not arrived yet (Monday I figure), so I can't comment on it's usefullness yet.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 10-02-05, 04:38 PM
Savas

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like the glasses mirror, take-a-look. It took a small amount of time to get used to. It does have a lot of adjustability to get it right where I prefer it. I like being able to scan the road behind left to right once in a while, something that a bike-mounted mirror does not offer. Additionally, I don't have to get into a special position to use the mirror, as some bike-mounted mirrors require.
Old 10-02-05, 04:40 PM
unkchunk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm sort of in the same situation and will probably purchase some sort of mirror system this month. Last month was lights. One question I have is how fixed mirrors (to the bar ends or handle bars) handle normal road vibration versus "wind flutter" with eyeglass mounts. I can hear the wind at higher speeds so I assume it must do something to the mirror. Anyway, I don't want to be looking through a very shaky mirror.
Old 10-02-05, 08:53 PM
McHargue
Junior Recumbenteer

Bikes: Easy Racers Ti-Rush, Velokraft VK-2, Rans Screamer (soon)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by michaelnel
A BIG second to that. I even carry a spare in case I'm far from home and it (somehow) get lost, although I've not lost one yet. You might have to have the right temples on your glasses to hold it well, but I have found such eyeglass-mounted mirrors the most stable. They don't vibrate and so give the clearest view. The Take-A-Look is the best.

Bill.
Old 10-02-05, 09:37 PM
Longhorn
Burnt Orange Blood

Bikes: Trek 7200, Lashout Electric Bike, Raleigh Talon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by unkchunk
I'm sort of in the same situation and will probably purchase some sort of mirror system this month. Last month was lights. One question I have is how fixed mirrors (to the bar ends or handle bars) handle normal road vibration versus "wind flutter" with eyeglass mounts. I can hear the wind at higher speeds so I assume it must do something to the mirror. Anyway, I don't want to be looking through a very shaky mirror.
The mirrors I attach to the bar extensions were getting a little wobbly but all I had to do was tighten them up with an allen wrench. My helmet mirror never wobbles.
Old 10-03-05, 07:22 AM
kf5nd

Bikes: Specialized Sequoia Elite, Schwinn Frontier FS MTB, Centurion LeMans (1986)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
helmet mirrors work well
Old 10-03-05, 08:10 AM
CBBaron

Bikes: Pugsley, fixie commuter, track bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Helmet mirrors take a while to get used to buy they offer great awareness of what is around you. I really like this mirror ( https://www.hubbub.com/store/proddetail.asp?prod=helmir ). The first helmet mirror I tried I could not use at all. I got this one and was uncomfortable at first, now I couldn't imagine going with out it.
Craig
Old 10-03-05, 08:20 AM
ItsJustMe
Se˝ior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
IMHO helmet mirrors are the best. They are essentially the same as eyeglass mirrors as far as usability goes, but they have two big extra advantages (for me, YMMV):

- Don't vibrate as much (eyeglass mirrors on my glasses weigh more than my glasses do, and they bounce like crazy)
- Don't forget them - I take my glasses mirrors off, and forget to put them back on again, but I never take the mirror off my helmet, so I always have it.