Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Brompton Extended seat post - any downside?

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-15, 07:30 PM
kurtp13

Bikes: Trek 820, Cannondale F500 with Trekking bars and road tires, Bianchi Alfana, Panasonic PCI "Les Maillots", Cannondale M1000 Tandem, Schwinn Johnny, Trek Lime, 1964 Armstrong, 1962 Raleigh Gazelle, 1964 AMF Hercules, Brooklyn Cruiser Driggs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I put a deposit on a new Brompton today (M6R). It is spec'd almost exactly like I wanted but one thing it has that I didn't think I needed is an extended seat post. My inseam is 30" and I've ridden a few others for several miles which I think were standards size without issue.

I am not as concerned about weight, I'm a heavy rider and will rarely have to carry it.

Is there a larger fold? Will I have a tougher time packing it? I do plan on air travel with it. I thought I read that it's thicker. Might that be an advantage?
Old 07-08-15, 07:52 PM
kurn

Bikes: Brompton M6R, Novara Buzz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Brompton with a telescopic seat post. Besides the minor extra weight and cost I can't think of any downsides to it.

One advantage is that it makes the seat very easy to remove.
Old 07-08-15, 08:02 PM
kurtp13

Bikes: Trek 820, Cannondale F500 with Trekking bars and road tires, Bianchi Alfana, Panasonic PCI "Les Maillots", Cannondale M1000 Tandem, Schwinn Johnny, Trek Lime, 1964 Armstrong, 1962 Raleigh Gazelle, 1964 AMF Hercules, Brooklyn Cruiser Driggs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the response. This isn't the telescopic post, it's just a longer post. I have heard some advantages for the telescopic post. Like taking the seat out easily to pack without having to remove the seat from the post. The could be a plus for packing but I don't know how much trouble this longer extended post will be. I thought I should know prior to buying the bike. Maybe I could change it out.
Old 07-08-15, 08:22 PM
HGR3inOK

Bikes: Brompton H6L-X, Dahon Curve D3

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kurtp13
I put a deposit on a new Brompton today (M6R). It is spec'd almost exactly like I wanted but one thing it has that I didn't think I needed is an extended seat post. My inseam is 30" and I've ridden a few others for several miles which I think were standards size without issue. ... Is there a larger fold? Will I have a tougher time packing it? I do plan on air travel with it. I thought I read that it's thicker. Might that be an advantage?
A Brompton with the extended seatpost will not fit in the B&W foldon (formerly Clapton) case without removing the seatpost (not a simple task). See:
B and W International
We currently recommend that our customers opt for the telescopic seat post if they intend to use this B&W case. With the normal seatpost, the bike is a tight fit. With the telescopic seatpost you can easily remove the saddle making it much easier to fit the Brompton into this case. Your Brompton dealer should be able to swap the extended seatpost for a telescopic seatpost (at a additional charge, of course ).

-HANK RYAN-
Norman, Oklahoma USA

Last edited by HGR3inOK; 07-08-15 at 08:26 PM. Reason: Add information
Old 07-08-15, 09:46 PM
kurtp13

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks. Thats the advice i was looking for. I am going to ask for the telescopic post. I want as little frustration as possible.
Old 07-09-15, 10:07 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I got an extended Post for my Mk2 3T. kept it when I Got the M3L , just wont slide down to be fully lowered ,
due to the extra inch or so.

tube wall thickness is said to be + 30% over the Standard [ IDK what the lower portion of the telescoping post is ]

Put a few extra KG on the saddle , Myself, I doubled up the Frame QR with a second one gripping the seat post itself,
to cure slipping down as I Ride. .
Old 07-09-15, 10:57 AM
kurtp13

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fietsbob
I got an extended Post for my Mk2 3T. kept it when I Got the M3L , just wont slide down to be fully lowered ,
due to the extra inch or so.

tube wall thickness is said to be + 30% over the Standard [ IDK what the lower portion of the telescoping post is ]

Put a few extra KG on the saddle , Myself, I doubled up the Frame QR with a second one gripping the seat post itself,
to cure slipping down as I Ride. .
I plan on doing the same thing if I have an issue. I have ridden them previously and have had some bikes with seat posts that slide, others that didn't. This seems the most practical solution. Thanks,
Old 07-09-15, 11:08 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Just take the lip off the additional QR band clamp edge.