Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bikes from Walmart ?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!
View Poll Results: Bikes from Walmart
Yes
20.11%
No
81.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 174. You may not vote on this poll

Bikes from Walmart ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-16, 08:59 AM
gilpi

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
+1 for Dicks.
My K2 Mach2 road bike has seen lots of mileage since it was purchased around 2004 from Dicks. Relatively light and fast, only changes have been chain and head tube bearings.
Old 09-28-16, 03:24 PM
hanshananigan

Bikes: 2006 K2 Apache 6.0, 2006(ish) Specialized Sirrus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
Meh. My Scott was purchased from Dicks for Christmas for me in 1997. Other than the front wheel needing spokes replaced and trued when I decided to hit a tree north of 20MPH, and the shifters and front brake needing replaced when it was in my trunk when someone rear-ended me, it has served my needs well over 19 years.

Still my beater/muddy trail condition bike.
I think he was referring to build quality, not bike quality.

I'd put your Scott and the K2 in a different class than $100 bike of today.
Old 09-28-16, 03:52 PM
up on two

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Our local Dick's has a pretty good bicycle department and a skilled bike mechanic. My GF bought a Diamondback hybrid with 700x38 tires and it was assembled perfectly, no adjustments needed once we got home and went for a ride.
The guy also told us there was a one year 'free' tune up should anything go out of adjustment. The only problem we ever had was a loose seat bolt that I tightened and it went loose again. A little Lock Tite fixed that.
What I am saying is that it is unfair to include Dick's with the service and set up you get at Target, Walmart and other similar stores. My experience is that Dick's is much better.
Old 09-29-16, 02:44 AM
Cyclist0084

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 90 Posts
Originally Posted by up on two
Our local Dick's has a pretty good bicycle department and a skilled bike mechanic. My GF bought a Diamondback hybrid with 700x38 tires and it was assembled perfectly, no adjustments needed once we got home and went for a ride.
The guy also told us there was a one year 'free' tune up should anything go out of adjustment. The only problem we ever had was a loose seat bolt that I tightened and it went loose again. A little Lock Tite fixed that.
What I am saying is that it is unfair to include Dick's with the service and set up you get at Target, Walmart and other similar stores. My experience is that Dick's is much better.
+1

My brother got his bike from Dick's. I think he paid around $230 for it. It's been a solid bike for him all spring and summer. He's had no problems at all with it.

Old 09-29-16, 09:06 AM
Anna Becker

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's always wise to save money, especially if you are new to biking. When I started in January, I got a bargain basement model from Academy. I wasn't sure I would stick with it, and didn't want to spend a fortune on a bike that would gather dust in my garage. I ride about 45 minutes most everyday, and the bike meets all my needs. So I say go for it. Based on the reviews, many people have found the bike you are looking at as adequate. If it lasts several years, which it should, it would be a good investment.
Old 09-29-16, 09:15 AM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
Mongoose was doing a 1sp/coaster brake fat tire bike through WalMart which was cheap and popular as a bike to hoon around on.

Once upon a bike they were selling Schwinn town bikes with 3sp IGH hubs which caught my eye as a possible OK deal.

Every now and then I check out their singlespeed cruisers -- they now sell one with a +size wheel -- thinking one of them might be fun to have around.

But I'd stay away from most dept store bikes with any kind of gears and rim/disk brakes. The hassle of adjusting crap components simply isn't worth the money saved over a bike shop bike. And forget anything with "suspension."
Old 09-30-16, 07:20 AM
Deal4Fuji
minimalist cyclist

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked 1,640 Times in 943 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Your bike store employer has taught you well, make sure your employer sees your loyal post on BF.
Good catch - with the risk of litigation being what it is today, mass merchants wouldn't be selling assembled bikes if they were constantly as dangerous as portrayed here. It's not rocket science to get it right.

It's not such a bad little BSO

2 heavyweights

Last edited by Deal4Fuji; 09-30-16 at 07:26 AM.
Old 09-30-16, 07:35 PM
Astrozombie

Bikes: Diamondback Insight, Motobecane Mirage

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I might try that Schwinn with a solid fork........but it has radial type spokes though...and still feels cheap when you see it at Sears/Kmart. Totally not worth it, Bikesdirect is the way to go. Even REI and their Novarra or whatever it's called might be better, i'm sure you can also find a Diamondback somewhere.
Old 10-01-16, 12:39 AM
BikingWithSix

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got a $50 Walmart bike when I was in college, to ride around campus. It was faster than walking and I never worried about it getting stolen. I gave it away when I left.
Old 10-01-16, 04:04 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1066 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 502 Posts
My wife is riding this.....https://www.walmart.com/ip/37370372 and for the money it is a nice riding bicycle. She liked it enough that I installed some 1.75 road tires for a smoother/faster ride.
Old 10-01-16, 05:21 AM
Johnny Mullet
That Huffy Guy

Bikes: Old School Huffy Bikes

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I actually have a friend who got a new Huffy 700c bike at walmart and I got to check it over for him. All it needed was a few things tightened and brakes adjusted. Not a bad bike for Walmart........

https://www.walmart.com/ip/700C-Huff...-Grey/49058120
Old 10-01-16, 07:57 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
My objections to Walmart bikes are several. One size fits all? Bull@#$%! Not when it comes to bikes. We come in all sizes and that is why legitimate bike manufacturers make different frame sizes. Even if all of the components are good (read that not defective) is the bike properly assembled? In the one case I know of the first new Walmart bike fell apart within 3 miles when the pedals fell off after stripping the cranks. I checked the bike for safety items like steering, brakes, wheel true, and gear changes but never thought to check the pedals. It took two returns to finally get a bike that would hold together long enough for the rider to complete a 10 mile ride. Even then it wasn't a suitable bike for this kid because it had all the bells and whistles like a fat aluminum frame and full suspension. The problem there was that the kid weighed about 85 pounds and the bike 40. That would be roughly the equivalent of me pedaling a 75 to 80 pound bike. Not gonna happen, not ever. The adult leaders (all avid cyclists) who organized these rides offered to help the kid's father find a better used bike or go to a bike shop but the father wouldn't hear of it. The Walmart bike was good enough in his opinion.
Old 10-02-16, 09:53 AM
stasher1

Bikes: 97 Gary Fisher Wahoo SS conversion

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For some people and some situations, Walmart bikes are simply the right tool for the job.

If you're looking to buy a couple beach cruisers to leave for your guests at a rental property, Walmart bikes make perfect sense. They're super simple and dirt cheap, so you're not out much when/if they fall apart or get stolen.

I also think that WM bikes can be ideal for use on college campuses, for the same reasons. They're going to sit outside in the elements most of the time with little/no maintenance, and will probably be abandoned or given away when they're no longer needed...if they don't get stolen first.

With that in mind, I just bought my oldest boy a used (but seemingly unused) Mongoose Sinsure for $70 to take to college with him next year. Single speed, super simple, and dirt cheap. Ordered some tires, tubes, rim strips, seat, and seatpost so far, and will let him select a set of handlebars...or not, if he doesn't mind the current ones. We'll work the bugs out over the next year or so, and he'll have transportation around the campus next year for less than $200.
Old 10-02-16, 10:18 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,042 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasTriker
Not gonna happen, not ever. The adult leaders (all avid cyclists) who organized these rides offered to help the kid's father find a better used bike or go to a bike shop but the father wouldn't hear of it. The Walmart bike was good enough in his opinion.
The converse is that Walmart bikes are never good enough for anybody, anytime, or anywhere in the biased opinion of "avid cyclists", especially those associated financially with a bike shop or or emotionally with bike brands that have an LBS provenance.
Old 10-02-16, 10:38 AM
stasher1

Bikes: 97 Gary Fisher Wahoo SS conversion

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasTriker
My objections to Walmart bikes are several. One size fits all? Bull@#$%! Not when it comes to bikes. We come in all sizes and that is why legitimate bike manufacturers make different frame sizes. Even if all of the components are good (read that not defective) is the bike properly assembled? In the one case I know of the first new Walmart bike fell apart within 3 miles when the pedals fell off after stripping the cranks. I checked the bike for safety items like steering, brakes, wheel true, and gear changes but never thought to check the pedals. It took two returns to finally get a bike that would hold together long enough for the rider to complete a 10 mile ride. Even then it wasn't a suitable bike for this kid because it had all the bells and whistles like a fat aluminum frame and full suspension. The problem there was that the kid weighed about 85 pounds and the bike 40. That would be roughly the equivalent of me pedaling a 75 to 80 pound bike. Not gonna happen, not ever. The adult leaders (all avid cyclists) who organized these rides offered to help the kid's father find a better used bike or go to a bike shop but the father wouldn't hear of it. The Walmart bike was good enough in his opinion.

With all due respect, this sounds more like a problem with the parent than the bicycle or retailer. The father simply selected the wrong bike for his son out of the hundreds of bikes that WM sells, and refused to reevaluate his decision.
Old 10-02-16, 09:11 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
This is another one of those topics where logic is never fully engaged.

For a while I rode the cheapest bikes available because they were available and all my budget allowed. They didn't last real long but I used them Really hard .... and they always lasted long enough to get another, and then eventually, to work up to better bikes.

All these people crapping on cheap bikes can afford better. Everything looks different when the choice is a cheap bike or no job, no paycheck, no dinner, no lights, and eventually, sleeping under a bridge.

All the folks who think no one should ever ride a Wal-Mart bike are certainly free to provide bikes for those who want or need them and cannot afford more than Wal-Mart ... but well .... ya know ....
Old 10-02-16, 11:58 PM
Cyclist0084

Originally Posted by Maelochs
This is another one of those topics where logic is never fully engaged.

For a while I rode the cheapest bikes available because they were available and all my budget allowed. They didn't last real long but I used them Really hard .... and they always lasted long enough to get another, and then eventually, to work up to better bikes.

All these people crapping on cheap bikes can afford better. Everything looks different when the choice is a cheap bike or no job, no paycheck, no dinner, no lights, and eventually, sleeping under a bridge.

All the folks who think no one should ever ride a Wal-Mart bike are certainly free to provide bikes for those who want or need them and cannot afford more than Wal-Mart ... but well .... ya know ....
Well said!

Old 10-04-16, 10:47 AM
up on two

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can't believe this thread is still alive. Some people buy new cars because they can afford to, other buy used cars because that is all that they can afford. Others commute on a quality bike while others commute on a WalMart bike. Then there are those that stay home because they can't afford anything.... or maybe they are just lazy?

Different strokes available for anyone who is looking for a bike. Ride the best that you can afford, but what is important is that you ride (or do) something. Walking is free, you need no equipment, yet some people can't bring themselves to do that for fear someone might see them. I think the same can be said about WalMart bikes.
Old 10-04-16, 09:12 PM
Kaze6

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some people buy new cars because they can afford to, other buy used cars because that is all that they can afford.
I can afford to buy a new car, but buy used ones because I hate to waste money.

Likewise, the last new bike I owned was the one that I built several decades ago. Since then, I buy bikes worth a lot more than I pay for them, because I keep my eyes open for a good deal on used bikes.
Old 10-07-16, 10:17 AM
up on two

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kaze6
I can afford to buy a new car, but buy used ones because I hate to waste money.

Likewise, the last new bike I owned was the one that I built several decades ago. Since then, I buy bikes worth a lot more than I pay for them, because I keep my eyes open for a good deal on used bikes.
I said "some people", because there are always exceptions like you noted. Good job on finding the bargains out there.
Old 10-07-16, 10:26 AM
kirkplan

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
great info
Old 10-07-16, 11:20 AM
dipy911

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some people buy new cars because they can afford to, other buy used cars because that is all that they can afford.
But would you buy a new Yugo or a used BMW?
Old 10-09-16, 08:51 PM
EthanSpokesEtc

Bikes: DK team V3 frame built with profile odyssey and Shadow parts, 1984 Schwinn World Sport, 1986 Trek Elance 400D

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stasher1
For some people and some situations, Walmart bikes are simply the right tool for the job.

If you're looking to buy a couple beach cruisers to leave for your guests at a rental property, Walmart bikes make perfect sense. They're super simple and dirt cheap, so you're not out much when/if they fall apart or get stolen.

I also think that WM bikes can be ideal for use on college campuses, for the same reasons. They're going to sit outside in the elements most of the time with little/no maintenance, and will probably be abandoned or given away when they're no longer needed...if they don't get stolen first.

With that in mind, I just bought my oldest boy a used (but seemingly unused) Mongoose Sinsure for $70 to take to college with him next year. Single speed, super simple, and dirt cheap. Ordered some tires, tubes, rim strips, seat, and seatpost so far, and will let him select a set of handlebars...or not, if he doesn't mind the current ones. We'll work the bugs out over the next year or so, and he'll have transportation around the campus next year for less than $200.
i had the joy of maintainning/and trying to sell 4 sinsures over my 3 years at walmart, it was honestly a good bike, and it rode well, I ordered extra chaintensioners for the nondrive sides of them all, and after awhile, i flipped the handlebars on them after that, they all eventually sold. my one problem with them is on one of them, it kept getting flats, no matter what i did to it. but no, the sinsure, is or was a good bike when they sold it, 2013 if i remember the year it was last sold. their are a vew walmart bikes that are solid for the price but having the eye to spot them isnt something your everyday walmart shopper has... also take it to the bike shop to get checked.
Old 10-10-16, 04:41 AM
Cyclist0084

This is a pic I snapped in Walmart quite a few years ago that shows the "outstanding" workmanship that goes into the assembly of Walmart bikes...

Old 10-10-16, 07:11 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by dipy911
But would you buy a new Yugo or a used BMW?
Likewise, would you rather buy a new $10k bargain car, likely with 10y/100k warranty, or a 10 year old BMW already into the six figures and no warranty because it is "better"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.