Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Any good spray chain lubes?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-17, 04:06 AM
nightfly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts

Are all the good chain lubes drip on (pro link etc) or are there any good spray lubes?
Old 08-01-17, 06:33 AM
Tony P.

Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked 281 Times in 162 Posts
Originally Posted by nightfly
Are all the good chain lubes drip on (pro link etc) or are there any good spray lubes?
I've used DuPont Teflon Multi-use, Liquid Wrench Dry, and Super Lube Multi-purpose from time to time. All work reasonably well. But I don't care much for spray lubes on my chain. I think you're better off with your "drip on" options where you can wipe off the excess to reduce dirt. I particularly like Rock N Roll Gold.
Old 08-01-17, 07:01 AM
johnnytheboy

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
boeshield t-9
Old 08-01-17, 08:51 AM
Wendell F
My pants used to fit me

Bikes: Surly Steamroller, All-City Super Professional

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
+1 on everything said. I use Rock n Roll Gold for geared, Boeshield for SSFG.

Why do you want a spray lube? Drip lubes are easier to keep off the rest of your bike, I find.
Old 08-01-17, 10:27 AM
nightfly

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
Pure laziness. Running out of Pro Link, thought maybe I'd try something else. Saw the guy in the shop lubricate my geared bike with a spray and thought maybe I'd try it. Sounds like it's messier which makes sense.
Old 08-01-17, 10:29 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Tri Flow comes is 2 sizes of spray cans.
Old 08-01-17, 06:36 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4353 Post(s)
Liked 3,992 Times in 2,664 Posts
The guy in the shop shouldn't have done that. Sometimes they do and it always bothers me. It is certainly less harmful on a brakeless bike but still just use drip lube. Always use drip lube.
Old 08-02-17, 09:47 AM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 58 Posts
The answer is no. There are no good spray chain lubes.
Old 08-02-17, 11:22 AM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 255 Posts
Most I have found create more mess than what they're worth unless you keep a rag behind the spray to catch the over-spray. I use dry waxes exclusively on chains to keep things cleaner but use Tri-Flow or Boeshield (drip bottle) on most other components that don't require grease (brakes, levers, cables, derailleurs, etc)
Old 08-02-17, 08:57 PM
Nordo

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Scrodzilla
The answer is no. There are no good spray chain lubes.
That pretty much wraps it up.
Old 08-04-17, 06:27 AM
IAmSam

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 136 Posts
Yesterday I got some wet Finish Line chain lube in a spray can that came with a little straw like WD-40 does - works pretty good at directing it right onto the chain...
Old 08-08-17, 05:01 AM
Fugazi Dave
Beausage is Beautiful

Bikes: Nabiis Alchemy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by johnnytheboy
boeshield t-9
This. This stuff is really, really good. So far I haven't been able to find it in Japan and that depresses me.

EDIT: For a reasonable price, I mean. I can buy it on Amazon. For $70.
Old 08-08-17, 12:45 PM
Philasteve

Bikes: Surly CreamRoller. 98 Giant Rincon. SE UVT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
This is what I've always used FWIW. Spin the crank arm and drip, 2 seconds. https://www.amazon.com/Rock-Roll-Cha.../dp/B002GIHHZU
Old 08-13-17, 06:10 PM
Leukybear 
THE STUFFED

Bikes: R. Sachs Road; EAI Bareknuckle; S-Works Enduro

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Not spray on. What you want is drip on.

I hover around these 3: boeshield or dumonde tech lite for my geared bikes and finishline green wet lube for SS/FG.

Finishline green wet lube is practically the simple green of chain lubes, it doesn't smell like it can kill you.

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Pound sign: Kilo TT
Old 08-14-17, 11:08 AM
IAmSam

Originally Posted by Leukybear
Not spray on. What you want is drip on.

I hover around these 3: boeshield or dumonde tech lite for my geared bikes and finishline green wet lube for SS/FG.

Finishline green wet lube is practically the simple green of chain lubes, it doesn't smell like it can kill you.
Aha! I knew there was somebody else here besides me who uses Dumonde Tech (although I use the regular). Do you have any particular cleaning & lubing techniques or routines that you could tell me about? While I like the way it works - I've found cleaning/lubing the chain that I use it on to be somewhat of a hassle...
Old 08-14-17, 11:11 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5781 Post(s)
Liked 2,577 Times in 1,428 Posts
All but the thickest lubes can be packaged as spray lubes. However, some may be thinned with more solvent to be more sprayable, and spraying offers no benefits in most cases. OTOH - spray packaging raises cost and creates more waste and mess, so it's a poor choice, even if the lube is otherwise identical.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 08-14-17, 01:30 PM
Leukybear 
THE STUFFED

Originally Posted by IAmSam
Aha! I knew there was somebody else here besides me who uses Dumonde Tech (although I use the regular). Do you have any particular cleaning & lubing techniques or routines that you could tell me about? While I like the way it works - I've found cleaning/lubing the chain that I use it on to be somewhat of a hassle...
Whenever I lube my chains, there is always a solvent scrub of my chain prior via my park cyclone. I use Zep citrus degreaser from Home Depot straight from the jug, not watered down.

After the degreaser is blotted dry, I aim to put ~3/4 of a drop of lube per link roller for my geared bikes. My rocket science of drop size is to touch the tip of the squeeze bottle as a droplet forms to the chain before a drop "falls".

Afterwards, I would backpedal a couple rotations to work in the lube between the chain pins and rollers. Followed by wiping off excess from the outer surfaces of the plates and rollers.

For geared bikes, I usually let the *dry lube* "set" by letting the bike rest afterwards. Not needed for SS/FG as I use wet lube for my SS/FG's which will not dry.

For my FG I substitute the cyclone scrub with taking the chain off at the master link and shaking it in a milk carton/ soda bottle with citrus degreaser. Definitely not a good idea to use a cyclone cleaner on a FG for your finger's sake.

Old 08-14-17, 05:22 PM
IAmSam

Whenever I lube my chains, there is always a solvent scrub of my chain prior via my park cyclone. I use Zep citrus degreaser from Home Depot straight from the jug, not watered down.

After the degreaser is blotted dry, I aim to put ~3/4 of a drop of lube per link roller for my geared bikes. My rocket science of drop size is to touch the tip of the squeeze bottle as a droplet forms to the chain before a drop "falls".

Afterwards, I would backpedal a couple rotations to work in the lube between the chain pins and rollers. Followed by wiping off excess from the outer surfaces of the plates and rollers.

For geared bikes, I usually let the *dry lube* "set" by letting the bike rest afterwards. Not needed for SS/FG as I use wet lube for my SS/FG's which will not dry.

For my FG I substitute the cyclone scrub with taking the chain off at the master link and shaking it in a milk carton/ soda bottle with citrus degreaser. Definitely not a good idea to use a cyclone cleaner on a FG for your finger's sake.
While my question was really geared to the Dumonde Tech, I thank you very much for your detailed responses regarding them all
Old 08-14-17, 05:55 PM
Leukybear 
THE STUFFED

Originally Posted by IAmSam
While my question was really geared to the Dumonde Tech, I thank you very much for your detailed responses regarding them all
Oh that's actually how I use dumonde tech too!

I find that the method of application they suggest, i.e. no through cleaning, just light "washing" doesnt really clean the chain. I believe it's actually how you're intended to use white lightning too. These "self-cleaning" wax-based lubes.

I tried their method as suggested on the bottle and my chain got really dirty as did the rest of my drivetrain components and eventually it started not feeling as "smooth" as it used to. Even if it "self-cleaned", it did not do enough on its own and the leftover dirt just accumulated on itself over time/ additional applications. I would prep a new chain by taking off all the factory lube with an agitated solvent bath.

If anything, it's intended to penetrate and "bond" between the rollers and pins. I do not think a quick whirl through a cyclone tool totally destroys it but "refreshes" it instead.

Old 08-15-17, 05:20 PM
IAmSam

Oh that's actually how I use dumonde tech too!

I find that the method of application they suggest, i.e. no through cleaning, just light "washing" doesnt really clean the chain. I believe it's actually how you're intended to use white lightning too. These "self-cleaning" wax-based lubes.

I tried their method as suggested on the bottle and my chain got really dirty as did the rest of my drivetrain components and eventually it started not feeling as "smooth" as it used to. Even if it "self-cleaned", it did not do enough on its own and the leftover dirt just accumulated on itself over time/ additional applications. I would prep a new chain by taking off all the factory lube with an agitated solvent bath.

If anything, it's intended to penetrate and "bond" between the rollers and pins. I do not think a quick whirl through a cyclone tool totally destroys it but "refreshes" it instead.

Yeah, your experiences pretty much mirror mine...

However I do just relube my Dumonde Tech chain after just a quick wipe like they suggest whenever it seems to need it and that stuff does build up and shed onto other nearby parts of my bike. Then when I try to give the chain a good cleaning it is a helluva job and takes several tries, and my nice silver chain is stained black. Then AFAIAC it is quite a chore to relube it right.

I do like though, how when things are right, my chain is smooth and dead-silent (even with an out-of-round ring)...but I will prolly go back to my good ol' dry wax lubes when my little Dumonde Tech bottle is used up

Edit - BTW I don't care much for the spray Finish Line wet lube I got that I mentioned earlier in this thread - not because of it being spray, but wet lube just is no good for my neighborhood...

Last edited by IAmSam; 08-15-17 at 05:30 PM.
Old 08-15-17, 06:03 PM
speshelite
Banned

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Tri Flow comes is 2 sizes of spray cans.
This is the worst chain lube I've ever tried. By a wide margin.

It's been great for clearing up noisy/squeaky door hinges around the house though.
Old 08-15-17, 06:16 PM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
I'm also a Dumonde Tech Lite fan and just use it per the instructions.

I read good things about Boeshield T-9 but was disappointed when I tried it. It barely gets me thru a weekend before my chain starts chirping. The Dumonde lasts a long time and I've gone from 3 chains a year to 2 chains a year (about 3500 miles per chain).