Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Vintage Frames-The Dark Side

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-21, 06:28 PM
since6

Bikes: Stevenson Custom, Stevenson Custom Tandem, Nishiki Professional

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 128 Posts

While Covid scrolling I came across this Vintage 10 speed and Vader's voice echoed " You don't know the POWER of the DARK SIDE...".

As advertised here we have the glory of a lugged frame with seat stays that look to have been crushed (?) into a nice flat surface to weld onto the lug, and what a weld, something the East German Cold War bicycle team would be proud of ?

So take a moment to touch and delight in your vintage classic frame's construction, but remember like all things there is a "Dark Side", though looking back we may have all had one or two 30-50lb bikes on the way to Valhalla.

Oh, and do share any similar wonders you have come upon, we all need a chuckle as we play cheese maze trying to get a Covid vaccination.

Take Care
Old 02-02-21, 08:08 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by since6
though looking back we may have all had one or two 30-50lb bikes on the way to Valhalla.
Speak for yourself LOL!
Likes For shoota:
Old 02-02-21, 10:27 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,830 Times in 2,228 Posts
Oh, and do share any similar .....

If the Dark Side starts at 30pounds.....
I can submit:
AD Michelle - early 80's.

Guaranteed Puch 2500 - Hi-Tensile Steel, ovalized fork blades, chainring guard, Nitto Technomic stem. fat Brooks, 27" wheels, heavy duty tubes, reflectors, largest frame size, pleny of post. And I could use my nice steel drop bars, not in th pic.. Please Note: no fenders or rack.

This is not the stem/bars on real build.
Sometimes a Cadillac is the way to roll
around the town in style.
Lacking a top hat
the spatz are out of place
with the top coat and tails.
A ride for every occasion.

Last edited by Wildwood; 02-02-21 at 10:41 PM.
Old 02-03-21, 02:01 AM
geeteeiii

Bikes: HVZ Meteor 1979, HVZ Champion 1962, HVZ SS Moskva80 1981, Dürkopp 1936

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 70 Posts
I suspect this frame was a early monday or late friday build - special olympic edition HVZ Start Shosse:

Likes For geeteeiii:
Old 02-03-21, 05:40 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by since6

While Covid scrolling I came across this Vintage 10 speed and Vader's voice echoed " You don't know the POWER of the DARK SIDE...".

As advertised here we have the glory of a lugged frame with seat stays that look to have been crushed (?) into a nice flat surface to weld onto the lug, and what a weld, something the East German Cold War bicycle team would be proud of ?

So take a moment to touch and delight in your vintage classic frame's construction, but remember like all things there is a "Dark Side", though looking back we may have all had one or two 30-50lb bikes on the way to Valhalla.

Oh, and do share any similar wonders you have come upon, we all need a chuckle as we play cheese maze trying to get a Covid vaccination.

Take Care
I'm consistently amazed, appalled and disgusted by the quality of work that came out of Westfield over the years.
Old 02-03-21, 06:36 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3808 Post(s)
Liked 6,680 Times in 2,608 Posts
Brake bridge on a ‘74 Raleigh International:

You’d think the paint shop might have said something, but that’s not how Raleigh operated back in the day.
Old 02-03-21, 06:55 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
Brake bridge on a ‘74 Raleigh International:

You’d think the paint shop might have said something, but that’s not how Raleigh operated back in the day.
Judging from the quality of most Raleigh-produced paint jobs, the paint shop crew didn't care much either.
Likes For J.Higgins:
Old 02-03-21, 08:32 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 938 Posts
Just finishing this old Torpado up. True, it is entry level and that is supported by the sloppy workmanship. This is not an attack on Torpado. I have seen many such examples on vintage road bike, with Raleigh and Mercier seeming to be the worst of the bunch. Anyway, just painted this up a week or so ago. This seat lug sports a bulge annoyed me but I did not want to alter the original nature of the frame in any way...

The decorative windowed head tube, though beautiful, also sported an boo boo or two. None the less, the bike was a treat to build and I cannot wait for my first ride on the bike...

But it is minus twelve degrees today - not the best riding weather for someone who has exceeded his biblical expiry date...
Old 02-03-21, 08:50 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 938 Posts
This sort of thing has always bugged me...
Old 02-03-21, 03:24 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,820 Times in 1,540 Posts
I don't have pictures, and am sure if I did i would be horrified at the craftsman ship, but my first bike with speeds was a columbia 3 speed, shimano 333 hub, steel rims, heavy, but it had speeds and caliper brakes. A real (sorta of) English racer as we called them. I loved it and road the heck of of it, including getting my bicycling merit badge (done mostly riding Hiway 2 in northern Montana....a popular cross country route)