Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

New garage build - storage ideas

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

New garage build - storage ideas

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-21, 05:50 PM
Clarinetrox

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
If building a garage, why not instead of try to figure out the storage in the area most likely for theft with the rollup door (and necessitating the chains) design a little room with a deadbolt door for valuables? I would imagine a 6' x 8' space with the bikes on the rack on the one wall, center walking space, then a little tool chest with table top on opposite side with a pegboard on the wall.

Then all your nice tools are also stored.

Then you can hang the bikes in there and not deal with a chain or cable every time you go ride.

Just a thought. If they have time to drill out a deadbolt on a door, they'd have time to use your own power in the garage to use a grinder on the cable or the chain.
Now we’re talking. Way to think outside the box I’d probably have a separate entrance in the back of the garage into this secure room with no access to the main area. It is a pain to have to unlock chains every time I go out for a ride.

Thanks for the suggestion!
Likes For Clarinetrox:
Old 02-12-21, 06:09 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked 1,730 Times in 1,007 Posts
Originally Posted by Clarinetrox
That’s an interesting concept but I haven’t been able to find that thread. I’m also probably not as handy as this genius and would prefer to buy something ready made.

I have not come across it yet either but I did find this one...

https://www.bikeforums.net/21837990-post51.html

Old 02-12-21, 06:54 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Now we’re talking. Way to think outside the box I’d probably have a separate entrance in the back of the garage into this secure room with no access to the main area. It is a pain to have to unlock chains every time I go out for a ride.

Thanks for the suggestion!
No problem.

At our old house we had something happen where we forgot a key on vacation for a house sitter. And our dog was inside the house needing food, bathroom, walks. Luckily our garage had a keypad. Garage had my tools like drill and bits. House sitter friend knew how to drill out a deadbolt to get to the house part to the dog. However, it still took him about an hour and a few drill bits to do it. So, given that..........I trust a good steel door and deadbolt!

For the shed I built, having a second steel deadbolt door on the other side was so marginal in cost to add that I spent the extra on the studs to make a little room for that door just for the "nasty" shed stuff. Fertilizer, gas can, mower, power washer, nice ladders, etc.... Stuff I don't want mingling with bike stuff. I think it was maybe $250 more for the extra steel deadbolt door, the door handle hardware, and the extra studs for the room.

I feel this was a good move. I use that stuff more rarely but still don't want it stolen. So now it doesn't cause clutter in the main area. Also, ended up being the perfect support downstairs for "structural" use of the loft upstairs in the shed. I pitched the roof super steep so I could walk in the center up there. I dreamed of insulation and a homebrew deal up there, but that hasn't materialized. I ride the bike too much instead.

Look for good discounts on cheapo flooring. I got a killer deal on fully water proof fake wood flooring, the kind you slip lock together but is rubber. So spills wipe up with no worry and sweeps easy. That would be nice in your little room for sweeping, oil spill, etc.... Unless you coat the whole concrete floor. Which is nice.

Good luck! Have fun with it!

PS: if you insulate JUST that bike store room, a little small heat/cool unit would be plenty to also make it your "pain cave".
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 02-12-21, 07:10 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
A separate room in the garage makes the garage less flexible. And in real life you get fed up locking it all the time. You probably don't lock it the day someone breaks in.
Likes For HerrKaLeun:
Old 02-12-21, 07:22 PM
billnuke1 

Bikes: Only my riders left...

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 389 Posts
Consider two levels...each level can be closed up and locked...twice as many bikes in the same area...and more horizontal surfaces...it’s a concept..
Old 02-12-21, 07:32 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2743 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
Consider making the garage overall bigger than planned, add in two wide man doors at opposite ends. Tall ceilings are a must.
No matter how big you build it will never be "big enough", have enough outlets, enough lights, or fit all our crap. I'm at the point in life where I need a 800 SF house and 3000 SF garage.
Likes For dedhed:
Old 02-12-21, 07:36 PM
vane171

Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 48 Posts
That’s an interesting concept but I haven’t been able to find that thread. I’m also probably not as handy as this genius and would prefer to buy something ready made.
I tried to look among my history but I think it was a post that was not on a topic in the thread, as often happens, so hard to find. However you are in luck. I recalled I copied the picture of the setup and found it right away among my bike photos. Sometimes I save out the link where I copy pics from but not this time. Another luck is that one of the pics had date when it was copied and I did find the thread by that date and it was even squarely on the topic

Best Practices and Best Solutions for Hanging Bikes in Garages

You don't need to be some special handyman, never mind genius for this. The bike slots on the pedal axle, so half inch standard plywood should be just right, that round hole is for screw bolt that goes into a stud behind the drywall. I think the distancing wedge might not even need to be a wedge but a simple block just a bit wider than the pedal. The bottom bike could for the wife as it is easy to reach...

Last edited by vane171; 02-12-21 at 11:29 PM.
Likes For vane171:
Old 02-12-21, 07:37 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,963 Times in 1,913 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
No matter how big you build it will never be "big enough", have enough outlets, enough lights, or fit all our crap. I'm at the point in life where I need a 800 SF house and 3000 SF garage.
Sounds about good for a first time buyer/builder. The next would be bigger, better, & more refined. 800SF house & 8K SF garage with 4,000 SF detached structure.
Old 02-12-21, 09:38 PM
vane171

Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 48 Posts
How about if you have ceiling high enough to hoist the bikes up by some rope/pulley system.

I once saw new house being built and they had garage ceiling maybe 18-20 feet high, plenty of room for bike hanging although I believe that was not the idea, more likely to create the luxury feeling of open space. Problem was, when the company came in to install the garage doors, they anchored those rails that the doors slide on by long metal strips anchored all the way up there, so what was empty space before looked like a spider net after

I was laughing my head off, probably the house owner didn't foresee that or the architect didn't tell him. What the garage door installers must have thought about it would probably not be fit for this forum.

Last edited by vane171; 02-12-21 at 09:57 PM.
Old 02-12-21, 10:01 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
If you put anchors flush with the concrete, you can thread in eye bolts, anchor a bike work stand, etc. I lock my bikes in a garage. It takes 2 seconds to unlock them.

The biggest problem will be allocating space for all the other things you do, and fitting a car in there.

Remote garage door openers pose a greater risk than the type of door. You can make it like Fort Knox and a burglar can just hack the code.

John
Old 02-13-21, 07:03 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
I'm at the point in life where I need a 800 SF house and 3000 SF garage.
That's exactly the kind of place my grandson is looking to buy.
Old 02-14-21, 10:18 AM
greysquirrel

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
this is a great option. I could have just 2-3 of these with long chains to attach to multiple bikes at once.

I’ll try to find one in North America that will ship to me in Canada
Check Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=security+...f=nb_sb_noss_2
Old 02-14-21, 11:09 AM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
Perhaps some photos showing how our various members have solved this problem in their own spaces. Vane's picture was indeed worth a 1000 words.
Likes For Pratt:
Old 02-15-21, 06:19 AM
Alleytom

Bikes: 92 GT Arette, 78 Paramount, 2012 Pugsley, Late 70s Gilmour, 74 Centurion LeMans

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 35 Posts
Two lengths of unistrut mounted to the ceiling trusses, threaded hooks (Park tools makes them, the machine threaded kind, not the screw in) some nuts & washers, I can slide the bikes closer to make more room or get to a certain bike. The pully setup on the right is for a heavy fatbike I just got and is a work in progress (both the pully system and the fatbike...). There are spring nuts on each end to keep the sliding hooks from being slid out of the unistrut track.

Likes For Alleytom:
Old 02-15-21, 12:21 PM
jp911

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2 Dura Ace, Niner RLT9 aluminum, Santa Cruz 5010 CC, Niner Air 9 rigid 29er, Trek Farley alloy

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 36 Posts
When I had a new garage built I had the builder add eyebolts with large plates when they poured the slab. I hung the bikes using Feedback Sports Velo Hinges (so that they could pivot closer to the wall) and then used a heavy chain between the eye bolts with heavy padlocks for each frame. I live in an area where home and garage break-ins are not uncommon. I'm fully aware that the chain and locks will only slow down a persistent thief, but the peace-of-mind is worth the extra effort to lock and unlock each time I want to ride.
Old 02-15-21, 12:24 PM
TMcDan78

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I hadn’t seen this before but that’s an excellent space saving option, if expensive. I’d still want a way to secure the bikes to the floor via a chain but I really like this.
Feedback Sports makes a product called the Velo Hinge - every bit as functional at a more attainable price. They also make the vertical storage you proposed, and several other options for wheels and other equipment. Their stuff lasts forever and they have service parts for everything they make.
Old 02-15-21, 12:27 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 2,079 Times in 1,177 Posts
Originally Posted by vane171
I tried to look among my history but I think it was a post that was not on a topic in the thread, as often happens, so hard to find. However you are in luck. I recalled I copied the picture of the setup and found it right away among my bike photos. Sometimes I save out the link where I copy pics from but not this time. Another luck is that one of the pics had date when it was copied and I did find the thread by that date and it was even squarely on the topic

Best Practices and Best Solutions for Hanging Bikes in Garages

You don't need to be some special handyman, never mind genius for this. The bike slots on the pedal axle, so half inch standard plywood should be just right, that round hole is for screw bolt that goes into a stud behind the drywall. I think the distancing wedge might not even need to be a wedge but a simple block just a bit wider than the pedal. The bottom bike could for the wife as it is easy to reach...
That's a pretty clever solution.
Old 02-15-21, 12:31 PM
Clarinetrox

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TMcDan78
Feedback Sports makes a product called the Velo Hinge - every bit as functional at a more attainable price. They also make the vertical storage you proposed, and several other options for wheels and other equipment. Their stuff lasts forever and they have service parts for everything they make.
You’re right, that’s dramatically less expensive for basically the same thing as far as I can tell. I’ve added it to the cart.
Old 02-15-21, 12:36 PM
TMcDan78

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Clever indeed - very similar to another commercially available product. Personally, I'd never expose my cranks to that force. It's 90-degree in the opposite direction of the designed application. I'm not saying that anything would result, but bikes are delicate....
Old 02-15-21, 12:48 PM
sdimattia

Bikes: Wabi Classic, Bombtrack Hook, Bombtrack Tension, Vitus Substance

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
I used a pair of sawhorse brackets to hold my six bikes vertically. Think: the racks at race courses that hold bikes by the seat except much cheaper. Mine is outside and on wheels since I need it to be moveable. I cover it with a tarp.

For reference, I’m only 5’1” as well and it’s easy enough to raise the front wheel and place it onto the hook, by leveraging the bike with my hip. The rear wheel is really only 2-3” off the ground. I made mine 6ft wide but I was also cramped for space. I lock my bikes together (it’s NYC) and they’re covered by a tarp.

Pros of this setup: inexpensive, movable, easy to build, sturdy. I’m at work but I can take pictures when I get home later if you’re interested.
Old 02-15-21, 03:22 PM
Clarinetrox

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sdimattia
I used a pair of sawhorse brackets to hold my six bikes vertically. Think: the racks at race courses that hold bikes by the seat except much cheaper. Mine is outside and on wheels since I need it to be moveable. I cover it with a tarp.

For reference, I’m only 5’1” as well and it’s easy enough to raise the front wheel and place it onto the hook, by leveraging the bike with my hip. The rear wheel is really only 2-3” off the ground. I made mine 6ft wide but I was also cramped for space. I lock my bikes together (it’s NYC) and they’re covered by a tarp.

Pros of this setup: inexpensive, movable, easy to build, sturdy. I’m at work but I can take pictures when I get home later if you’re interested.
i can’t picture this, I would be interested in a photo.
Old 02-15-21, 03:39 PM
sdimattia

Bikes: Wabi Classic, Bombtrack Hook, Bombtrack Tension, Vitus Substance

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
i can’t picture this, I would be interested in a photo.
Pardon the poor pictures, the tarp is a PITA to fully take on and off. I’m usually only pulling a bike or two out at a time.

I can fit six bikes, 3 on each side pretty easily. It’s basically 1ft per bike plus 1ft on the ends.

Each bike weighs 17-25lbs so it can hold a decent amount. The brackets were $8 for the pair. Used three 2x4x8. Plus screws, casters, and six hooks, the whole thing cost about $40. Plus $10 for the tarp. Thought the tarp system is a work in progress. If anybody knows of a more tent like cover . . .

The whole set up.

A closer up of the bikes hanging by the front wheels, the hooks, and the bracket.

The sawhorse bracket.

With the tarp on.

I got the idea from here: https://bermstyle.com/diy-bike-storage-rack/
Likes For sdimattia:
Old 02-15-21, 06:49 PM
bfaIllini

Bikes: 2020 S-Works Roubaix, Infinity seat

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by jaxgtr
How about the Steadyrack's? They allows you store them vertically where they can pivot side to side and reduce the space needed and access to each bike individually and you dont have to lift them. You position them above your floor 1/2 or more. Mine sit about 3/4" off. I have six bikes in my garage this way.

You have good taste
1) multiple Steadyracks
2) Racedeck floorimg
3) Gladiator garage shelving

Functional, affordable and good looking
Except need flooring color orange and blue for this Illini fan :-)
I've used same combination of products in my last 2 homes. 👍
Old 02-15-21, 07:38 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked 1,730 Times in 1,007 Posts
Originally Posted by bfaIllini
You have good taste
1) multiple Steadyracks
2) Racedeck floorimg
3) Gladiator garage shelving

Functional, affordable and good looking
Except need flooring color orange and blue for this Illini fan :-)
I've used same combination of products in my last 2 homes. 👍
LOL, thanks. I spent way too much on my garage, but damn did it come out nice. The floor was the most cost efficient of everything. However, I must correct you on your orange and blue reference....I originally planned an orange and blue floor, but for the Florida Gators.

I will never put down anything on a garage floor if I every move, except this stuff...bloody fantastic product.

Also, I opted for the tri-color Black\Grey\Yellow to mark a line to let my wife know where to pull in and stop her car. It's worked out fantastic.

Last edited by jaxgtr; 02-15-21 at 07:53 PM.
Likes For jaxgtr: