Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Tern CarryOn cover vs Tern Pop cover?

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Old 02-15-21, 09:53 PM
Craptacular8

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts

We recently purchased a couple of Tern Link C8 (20” tires) bikes to use on vacation commuting. We have an upcoming trip that will entail a long train trip, so will likely want some kind of storage bag. I had initially thought the CarryOn was perhaps the best way to go, the the saw the Pop cover, which would allow us to roll them.

Anyone have any experience using either of these bags, or others that you would recommend? These are both relatively inexpensive, but I’m not opposed to saving money, lol.
Old 02-16-21, 04:38 AM
Winfried

Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 98 Posts
What's the diff, you ask?

I would get the CarryOn, as I used the same accessory from Dahon. A Tern is light enough that you can carry the bike over your shoulder, and the CarryOn should be a bit more compact and lighter than the PopCover.

Someone should make a CarryOn to fit a Brompton, for when authorities require to fold and bag it before taking the train.
Likes For Winfried:
Old 02-21-21, 09:23 AM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 978 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 395 Posts
I second the recommendation for the CarryOn. I've been using these (I have two of them) for almost 10 years, since I started using a similar cover on my old Dahon MuXL. I also have a Tern Verge S11i which I've used the CarryOn cover with ever since I got it in 2013. As Winfried points out ^^ the bike is light enough to carry with the very robust strap which attaches securely to the bike. Having said that, I still recommend rolling the unfolded bike as close as possible to the point of boarding (a train in my case) to minimize the distance the bike is carried, and I practice this advice myself.
The CarryOn cover is a snap to fold and stuff into its storage sack, and probably takes 30 seconds or less to install or remove. It has a couple features I have never used: a zippered slot between the strap attachment points, and a drawstring at the outer margin to cinch the cover around the bike; I just ignore these. All in all, a very serviceable and durable product.
Old 02-22-21, 09:19 AM
Craptacular8

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
Tern Carryon

Originally Posted by sweeks
I second the recommendation for the CarryOn. I've been using these (I have two of them) for almost 10 years, since I started using a similar cover on my old Dahon MuXL. I also have a Tern Verge S11i which I've used the CarryOn cover with ever since I got it in 2013. As Winfried points out ^^ the bike is light enough to carry with the very robust strap which attaches securely to the bike. Having said that, I still recommend rolling the unfolded bike as close as possible to the point of boarding (a train in my case) to minimize the distance the bike is carried, and I practice this advice myself.
The CarryOn cover is a snap to fold and stuff into its storage sack, and probably takes 30 seconds or less to install or remove. It has a couple features I have never used: a zippered slot between the strap attachment points, and a drawstring at the outer margin to cinch the cover around the bike; I just ignore these. All in all, a very serviceable and durable product.
Thank you for this feedback. Really appreciate hearing from someone that has used the product. at 28lbs, I wouldn't call our bikes "light" but they are manageable. We just picked them up this weekend. I haven't ordered the covers yet. Folded them to put in the back of the car, and could see how having the bag on there would have allowed them to slide in a little easier. I will definitely roll them as far as I can before bagging....much easier transport.
Likes For Craptacular8:
Old 02-22-21, 09:30 AM
Winfried

Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 98 Posts
BTW, Tern has two different racks that might work on the Link

Rapid Transit

Trolley Rack