Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Is this saddle dead?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Is this saddle dead?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-21, 02:24 AM
Spellscape

Bikes: Union Sakai

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 42 Posts
Is this saddle dead?

Hi all
I have no "sentimental" attachment to this saddle so just asking as practical question - is it done and I should trash it or any way to repair plastic?

?
Old 02-24-21, 03:34 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 937 Posts
I have been doing the vintage road bike thing for about twenty years now. I have given or tossed items that I thought would never have value. I was so wrong! Though the saddle looks bad it just might fit (pardon the pun) somebody's needs, somewhere, someday. The saddle does not take up much storage room and, with that in mind, I would be tempted to just put it away, just in case. You can pitch it, or give it or sell it anytime.

These days, though I have little room to store things, I still do not pitch too many things, unless they take up too much storage space. A saddle, I keep, even a damaged and very entry level one...

Complete frame/fork set sometimes, if I cannot find someone who wants such a set, get fed to the local landfill site, this Santine ff being the most recent "I can't find someone who wants it" item so it got pitched (I kept the component group, including the wheels which are now temporarily fitted to an early sixties Torpado Professional). Anyway, the dumped Santne...
Old 02-24-21, 09:50 AM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ur-saddle.html

There is hope, as long as the plastic isn’t cracked and the rails are good.

edit - well, I missed that crack (viewing on a phone). I would toss it. There are lots of other saddles.

Last edited by due ruote; 02-24-21 at 10:42 AM.
Old 02-24-21, 09:55 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,214 Times in 1,103 Posts
Originally Posted by randyjawa
I have been doing the vintage road bike thing for about twenty years now. I have given or tossed items that I thought would never have value. I was so wrong! Though the saddle looks bad it just might fit (pardon the pun) somebody's needs, somewhere, someday. The saddle does not take up much storage room and, with that in mind, I would be tempted to just put it away, just in case. You can pitch it, or give it or sell it anytime.

These days, though I have little room to store things, I still do not pitch too many things, unless they take up too much storage space. A saddle, I keep, even a damaged and very entry level one...

This saddle was the saddle on the 1972 Bottecchia Professional and the Giro D'Italia, so not only entry level.
Old 02-24-21, 09:56 AM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 420 Posts
If the base plastic is cracked as it seems, you've got an uphill battle on this one. You'll need to deglove it, properly repair the crack using either a splint or welding the plastic together with Butone aka Methyl Ethyl Ketone aka MEK or a similar agent (Warning: MEK is extremely bad for your lungs)

Once the plastic is repaired with sufficient time to cure, All you'd need is some base foam, new cover material, and some good 3M headliner adhesive. Typical process to re-cover is probably covered in threads here @ BF..

Old 02-24-21, 03:18 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,178 Times in 1,182 Posts
OP,
In my opinion, the saddle is done....the cracked shell while can be repaired but will not be worth the time and effort. You would be better off sourcing a used one.
JMO, Best, Ben

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Old 02-24-21, 04:04 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26389 Post(s)
Liked 10,365 Times in 7,197 Posts
...I would toss that without thinking twice about it. And I've repaired a number of saddles.
Old 02-24-21, 04:24 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 801 Times in 390 Posts
Toss it.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Old 02-24-21, 06:12 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
One can find saddles in much better shape for $5 at many co-ops.