Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

New member - new (first) bike - 2015 Giant Escape 2

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-15, 06:06 PM
dgunay

Bikes: Giant

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey, this is my first post in the forum.

I got my 2015 Giant Escape 2. I haven't been riding for a veeeery long time. So it was my first step and first "decent" bike. I was sitting on a fence between Escape 2 and Trek FX 7.2. FX7.2 has slightly better gear components (Acera rd vs Altus) but giant has aluminum fork, which is supposedly be lighter than the Trek. Escape 2 was $50 cad cheaper and LBS offered 3-year free tune-up + free Kryptonite u-lock for the Escape 2, Trek dealer only offered 2-year free tune-up so i went for the Escape 2.

I have put about 80 miles in 5 days, I love it so far (except the color, i was looking for a bike with fancy/glossy color) but ended up buying matte dark blue/orange version . That's why I am going to sell it and buy a different bike such as Trek FX 7.4 or Specialized Sirrus Elite next year.

Extras: Specialized computer and smartphone holder

Here are the photos

Best,

Doug

Last edited by dgunay; 06-09-15 at 06:19 PM.
Old 06-09-15, 06:21 PM
Jazz00

Bikes: 2005 Trek 6500 SLR

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Beautiful bike and a good choice!! I am looking at Escape 0 as well but I want something with disc brakes so for now looking at other options. Enjoy your ride!!
Old 06-09-15, 07:56 PM
dgunay

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jazz00
Beautiful bike and a good choice!! I am looking at Escape 0 as well but I want something with disc brakes so for now looking at other options. Enjoy your ride!!
Thank you!! Escape 0 is probably best bang for the buck hybrid option under $1000 but unfortunately they don't carry disc version in North America.

I don't ride in the rain/snow/mud so traditional v-brake is more than enough for me.
Old 06-09-15, 08:47 PM
Jazz00

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah they do have an escape with disc for Australian market. It's called Cross City but strangely no escape with disc for North American market but woman version of Escape; Thrive has discs and available in North America
Old 06-09-15, 09:09 PM
yashinon

Bikes: Trek Domane

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
You want to sell it because you don't like the color? What will you pickup with the 7.4 FX and/or Sirrus Elite.
Old 06-09-15, 09:45 PM
dgunay

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by yashinon
You want to sell it because you don't like the color? What will you pickup with the 7.4 FX and/or Sirrus Elite.
I love the bike overall, but i don't like the color and unfortunately i have no other option. At first i liked the color at the LBS, but then I was disappointed after seeing it under the sun and after seeing Trek's 2016 colors (Firebrand and Waterloo blue etc.). I wish I've bought FX because they have "fancy" color alternatives unlike Giant.

Yes, color is an important factor for me. But it's too late

I'd probably choose blue/red/orange or glossy options, but not black/white/gray or matte colors. I've learned my lesson the hard way.

Last edited by dgunay; 06-09-15 at 10:46 PM.
Old 06-10-15, 01:35 AM
Slow Bro

Bikes: 2014 Jamis Coda Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dgunay
I love the bike overall, but i don't like the color and unfortunately i have no other option. At first i liked the color at the LBS, but then I was disappointed after seeing it under the sun and after seeing Trek's 2016 colors (Firebrand and Waterloo blue etc.). I wish I've bought FX because they have "fancy" color alternatives unlike Giant.

Yes, color is an important factor for me. But it's too late

I'd probably choose blue/red/orange or glossy options, but not black/white/gray or matte colors. I've learned my lesson the hard way.

That's understandable... I would say keep the Giant since you love the way it rides and it's brand new. Save until next spring/summer for the higher end FX/ Sirrus. Even after you purchase the new bike keep the Giant for a second bike. If you ever have to bring your FX/ Sirrus in for service and you need a bike to ride in the mean time.. Or if you just want to do a quick ride to the store and don't want to use the flashy, eye catching to thieves FX/ Sirrus. A second bike that rides great will always come in handy imo.

I'm also in Toronto

Last edited by Slow Bro; 06-10-15 at 01:48 AM.
Old 06-10-15, 01:54 AM
dgunay

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Slow Bro
That's understandable... I would say keep the Giant since you love the way it rides and it's brand new. Save until next spring/summer for the higher end FX/ Sirrus. Even after you purchase the bike of your dreams still keep the Giant for a second bike. If you ever have to bring your FX/ Sirrus in for service and you need a bike to ride in the mean time.. Or if you just want to do a quick ride to the store and don't want to use the flashy, eye catching to thieves FX/ Sirrus. A second bike that rides great will always come in handy imo.

I'm also in Toronto
Torontonians always need a bike LOL

Great idea. I really appreciate your suggestion. It's an excellent bike for the money and i would definitely keep it as a "commuter" or second bike. Since i already have a bike with rigid fork, I would also consider Trek DS or Specialized Crosstrail.
Old 06-10-15, 02:33 AM
Slow Bro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Torontonians always need a bike LOL

Great idea. I really appreciate your suggestion. It's an excellent bike for the money and i would definitely keep it as a "commuter" or second bike. Since i already have a bike with rigid fork, I would also consider Trek DS or Specialized Crosstrail.
Test ride all the bikes on your list and save, save, save for the one that really grabs your heart. Get the one that you really love and is spec'd out as high as you can afford.

The other day I was at Broadway Cycle on Bloor west looking at U-locks and wandered upstairs.lol
The 2015 Sirrus Comp Disc looked really, really good
https://www.specialized.com/ca/en/bik...rrus-comp-disc

Last edited by Slow Bro; 06-10-15 at 02:46 AM.
Old 06-10-15, 06:46 AM
quicktrigger

Bikes: Allez/Motobecane 427HT & Ti/Soma Custom Build

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I am with you on the color. You would not buy a new car or a new sofa that you hate the looks of.... so WHY would you be expected to buy a bike that you see as ugly or dull? Many people here don't want to accept that. Just the same, I can agree with the second bike ideal. I have three bikes total, and managed to damage two of them in 24 hours a few weeks ago. One was un-ridable (broke the seat post clamp) until I got a replacement part, but the other one was not serious (tore the bar tape and a scrape). Things can happen. Also want to suggest you reconsider the disc brakes. I don't ride in rain etc either, but still got caught in surprise rain on a 30+ mile ride, and was really wishing I had the disc brakes.

QT
Old 06-10-15, 11:57 AM
dgunay

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Test ride all the bikes on your list and save, save, save for the one that really grabs your heart. Get the one that you really love and is spec'd out as high as you can afford.

The other day I was at Broadway Cycle on Bloor west looking at U-locks and wandered upstairs.lol
The 2015 Sirrus Comp Disc looked really, really good
Specialized Bicycle Components
Specialized bikes look really good (even better than Trek i think) but they're way overpriced in Canada. They have competitive prices in US though. Sirrus elite is around $200 more expensive than FX7.4. It's still on my list though but i have to find a great deal to pick it over the FX.

Originally Posted by quicktrigger
I am with you on the color. You would not buy a new car or a new sofa that you hate the looks of.... so WHY would you be expected to buy a bike that you see as ugly or dull? Many people here don't want to accept that. Just the same, I can agree with the second bike ideal. I have three bikes total, and managed to damage two of them in 24 hours a few weeks ago. One was un-ridable (broke the seat post clamp) until I got a replacement part, but the other one was not serious (tore the bar tape and a scrape). Things can happen. Also want to suggest you reconsider the disc brakes. I don't ride in rain etc either, but still got caught in surprise rain on a 30+ mile ride, and was really wishing I had the disc brakes.

QT
Thanks! I'll keep that in mind.
Old 06-10-15, 02:13 PM
Slow Bro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Specialized bikes look really good (even better than Trek i think) but they're way overpriced in Canada.
My thoughts also... That 2015 Sirrus Comp Disc I was checking out at Broadway Cycle's had a sticker price of $1400 and the sales dude told me that the price has gone up $100 recently to $1500. And of course this is before taxes. This was more then I wanted to spend on a bike right now so I picked up a 2015 Giant Roam XR1 instead and saved the $400 diff.

If I want go fasst on the road I take out my Coda Elite. I am happy with my bikes
Old 06-10-15, 02:24 PM
dgunay

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My thoughts also... That 2015 Sirrus Comp Disc I was checking out at Broadway Cycle's had a sticker price of $1400 and the sales dude told me that the price has gone up $100 recently to $1500. And of course this is before taxes. This was more then I wanted to spend on a bike right now so I picked up a 2015 Giant Roam XR1 instead and saved the $400 diff.

If I want go fasst on the road I take out my Coda Elite. I am happy with my bikes
You have great bikes!

Giant Fastroad SLR 1 is $300 cheaper than Sirrus and both have same components. Damn that's a huuuuge difference.
Old 06-10-15, 02:35 PM
Slow Bro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You have great bikes!

Giant Fastroad SLR 1 is $300 cheaper than Sirrus and both have same components. Damn that's a huuuuge difference.
Funny, when I was checking out the Roam line at the Giant store the SLR 2 really caught my eye.. The sales guy would be telling me all about the Roam and my head would turn 90 degrees looking at the FastRoads. Gorgeous looking bikes. Loved the colors on the SLR 2
I am patiently awaiting reviews on these bikes.
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-ca/bikes/model/fastroad.slr.2/20463/80568/

Last edited by Slow Bro; 06-10-15 at 02:39 PM.
Old 06-10-15, 02:46 PM
dgunay

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Funny, when I was checking out the Roam line at the Giant store the SLR 2 really caught my eye.. The sales guy would be telling me all about the Roam and my head would turn 90 degrees looking at the FastRoads. Gorgeous looking bikes. Loved the colors on the SLR 2
I am patiently awaiting reviews on these bikes.
FastRoad SLR 2 (2015) | Giant Bicycles | Canada
Great option as well.

By the way, considering to change the pedals. Escape 2 comes with crappy pedals. Found this

Electron Evo Pedal | Nukeproof

What do you think? I would pick orange
Old 06-10-15, 02:58 PM
Slow Bro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great option as well.

By the way, considering to change the pedals. Escape 2 comes with crappy pedals. Found this

Electron Evo Pedal | Nukeproof

What do you think? I would pick orange
Nice looking pedals. How much do they cost? I do not know that brand. Love the color selection though.
I was thinking of picking up some Shimano Saints for my next pedals. Shimano Saint Flat Pedals - Bicycle Shop and Repairs in Toronto ON - M4S 2A5

Last edited by Slow Bro; 06-10-15 at 03:17 PM.
Old 06-10-15, 03:23 PM
dgunay

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice looking pedals. How much do they cost? I do not know that brand. Love the color selection though.
I was thinking of picking up some Shimano Saints for my next pedals. Shimano Saint Flat Pedals - Bicycle Shop and Repairs in Toronto ON - M4S 2A5
It's around $50 cad

If you are looking for MX80, i found better deal but you have to pay duty.

Shimano Saint MX80 Flat Pedals | Chain Reaction Cycles
Old 06-10-15, 07:48 PM
Jazz00

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
FastRoad is in my shortlist. It's a gorgeous bike, did you test ride it? I am torn between FastRoad and Roam, escape is out since no disc brakes.
Old 06-10-15, 09:52 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
FastRoad is in my shortlist. It's a gorgeous bike, did you test ride it? I am torn between FastRoad and Roam, escape is out since no disc brakes.
Both the Fastroad & Roam would be good bikes, but they are not natural competitors.

The Roam competes head to head with the Trek DS & Specialized Crosstrail, whilst the Fastroad competes head to head with the Trek FX, Specialized Sirrus and heaps of other flat bar road bikey types of bikes.
Old 06-10-15, 10:20 PM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
Congrats on the Giant Escape 2. I like the matte finish. Good looking bike. The color may grow on you in time. Then you would match your bike.

Last edited by Doctor Morbius; 06-10-15 at 10:30 PM.
Old 06-10-15, 11:46 PM
dgunay

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Doctor Morbius
Congrats on the Giant Escape 2. I like the matte finish. Good looking bike. The color may grow on you in time. Then you would match your bike.
Thanks! I will change few parts soon to make it better, new pedals and grips (perhaps Ergon GP1).

Slow Bro convinced me to keep the bike, so i will upgrade tires and groupset when they're worn out.

Yeah Fastroad looks really good and SLR 2 is an affordable option under $1000, which would also be a nice "next" step for me.

Last edited by dgunay; 06-11-15 at 12:19 AM.
Old 06-11-15, 07:05 PM
Jazz00

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
Both the Fastroad & Roam would be good bikes, but they are not natural competitors.

The Roam competes head to head with the Trek DS & Specialized Crosstrail, whilst the Fastroad competes head to head with the Trek FX, Specialized Sirrus and heaps of other flat bar road bikey types of bikes.
HAHA Yeah I know that's what makes my decision hard. I am 90% paved paths, sidewalks and 10% dirt, by this usage I should be getting FX/Sirrus/Escape but I don't want to limit myself just to paved so DS/Crosstail/Roam comes into the picture.

I went to Toronto Giant store today and FastRoad is drop dead gorgeous but its way more of a Road bike then a hybrid.
Old 06-11-15, 08:31 PM
emcdade3

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Crosstrail Disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
HAHA Yeah I know that's what makes my decision hard. I am 90% paved paths, sidewalks and 10% dirt, by this usage I should be getting FX/Sirrus/Escape but I don't want to limit myself just to paved so DS/Crosstail/Roam comes into the picture.

I went to Toronto Giant store today and FastRoad is drop dead gorgeous but its way more of a Road bike then a hybrid.
I was pulling my hair out over the same thing and someone in one of these threads put it well. I was trying to decide on a Sirrus or a Crosstrail. They said "A Crosstrail will be better on-road than a Sirrus will be off-road." I like not having to limit myself to pavement and having the luxury or going off-road if need be (with the lockout suspension). I ended up getting the Crosstrail disc for $550 plus tax. I rode it for the first time today for 18 miles. I had no issues keeping up with my buddy on his Trek FX. He was in envy my the Crosstrail's off-road luxury.

I hope I am able to help!
Old 06-11-15, 08:45 PM
Jazz00

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by emcdade3
I was pulling my hair out over the same thing and someone in one of these threads put it well. I was trying to decide on a Sirrus or a Crosstrail. They said "A Crosstrail will be better on-road than a Sirrus will be off-road." I like not having to limit myself to pavement and having the luxury or going off-road if need be (with the lockout suspension). I ended up getting the Crosstrail disc for $550 plus tax. I rode it for the first time today for 18 miles. I had no issues keeping up with my buddy on his Trek FX. He was in envy my the Crosstrail's off-road luxury.

I hope I am able to help!
Thanks a lot, yes you did help and pulled me more towards DS types. I am buying it for pure entertainment and fitness so efficiency matter less than the versatility.
Old 06-12-15, 09:36 AM
nyrbik26

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I ordered this bad boy yesterday. I will be picking it up this weekend. I will be sharing my photos soon. I just can't wait!!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.