Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Helix Update?

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Helix Update?

Old 07-20-16, 04:37 PM
jur

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
The updates are given on their website, and for those with login credentials only. Kickstarter updates are fewer and for backers only. So from the outside, it looks like a disaster. From the inside, it continues to look fantastic. They are at pre-production stage and have posted photos of a wide variety of the parts. A large effort is put into making it as perfect as possible. The obsession with making it very very good has resulted in the delayed delivery, as every aspect has been scrutinised for possible improvements. So as good as the prototypes have been, so much improved will the production bikes be. Not long now...
Old 07-21-16, 02:37 AM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by jur
The updates are given on their website, and for those with login credentials only. Kickstarter updates are fewer and for backers only. So from the outside, it looks like a disaster. From the inside, it continues to look fantastic. They are at pre-production stage and have posted photos of a wide variety of the parts. A large effort is put into making it as perfect as possible. The obsession with making it very very good has resulted in the delayed delivery, as every aspect has been scrutinised for possible improvements. So as good as the prototypes have been, so much improved will the production bikes be. Not long now...
I'll believe it when I see it, and I don't expect to see it as advertised. At twice the cost, maybe.
Old 07-28-16, 05:37 PM
jur

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Helix team are now doing welding jig checking. For reason as yet unknown, they have jettisoned the cast lugs idea and are back at robotic all-welding technique. Right now the welding jigs are being evaluated before going into full-scale production with them.

My own guess at why the cast lugs have been at least temporarily abandoned, is timescale pressure.
Old 07-31-16, 08:15 PM
Ozonation

Bikes: Helix, Brompton, Rivendell, Salsa, and a Partridge in a Pear Tree

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Remi
I'll believe it when I see it, and I don't expect to see it as advertised. At twice the cost, maybe.
Are you this negative about all things in life?
Old 08-01-16, 10:23 AM
smallwheeler

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
We had wanted to begin accepting pre-orders August 1st with a delivery of late summer 2016, but due to some delays we will be pushing the order date back slightly. We want to be sure of our production capacity so that we can more accurately forecast your delivery date and avoid any further delays and disappointment.

Pre-orders will now begin November 1st. We are currently on schedule to start delivering our Kickstarter orders late October and production of pre-orders will follow immediately after and will deliver early spring 2017.

Pre-order pricing will be slightly discounted from retail and is as follows:
  • Single speed $1500
  • Ten speed derailleur $1600
  • Eleven speed Shimano Alfine $1900
The above pricing is in USD.
many changes including proprietary front hub...

Old 08-01-16, 01:55 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1108 Post(s)
Liked 839 Times in 584 Posts
I received this email update today:

[/QUOTE]
Helix Preview and Update

Dear Helix Fans,

It has been a very long time since our last update and we have a lot of exciting news to share. We have been hard at work making design adjustments and fine tuning our manufacturing process. Helix has undergone a complete transformation; almost every single detail has been improved. In the last few months we have been acquiring equipment, setting up our factory, placing orders with suppliers and much more. There has been an incredible amount of work that has gone in to starting a bicycle company from scratch but we are almost there.

We had wanted to begin accepting pre-orders August 1st with a delivery of late summer 2016, but due to some delays we will be pushing the order date back slightly. We want to be sure of our production capacity so that we can more accurately forecast your delivery date and avoid any further delays and disappointment.

Pre-orders will now begin November 1st. We are currently on schedule to start delivering our Kickstarter orders late October and production of pre-orders will follow immediately after and will deliver early spring 2017.

Pre-order pricing will be slightly discounted from retail and is as follows:

Single speed $1500 Ten speed derailleur $1600 Eleven speed Shimano Alfine $1900 The above pricing is in USD.

Once again, we apologize for having to move the pre-order date. It has been a monumental task to coordinate all of the various components that go in to starting a bicycle company but we are well on track and are gaining momentum. We do not anticipate any further delays.

With regards to the current status on manufacturing, we have made great progress. Helix will be utilizing the latest manufacturing technologies.

We will be robotically welding Helix in an inert chamber. This process produces consistent and repeatable high quality welds that will last a lifetime.

Helix will also be using modern titanium castings for areas that have increased complexity and multiple feature requirements such as the bottom bracket, swingarm and front end. Titanium castings are extremely high quality and are often used in aerospace and medical applications.

Below is an image of our custom front hub. We decided to make a proprietary hub for a few reasons. First, we needed a better solution for keeping the wheels secured together when folded on all models of Helix. The limiting factor being the different rear axle types, solid axle and thru-axle. The hub now has a 37 mm drive side bearing which houses a special connector that interfaces with the rear wheel securely. In addition to that, the new hub is slimmer allowing us to use a slimmer fork crown design which in turn improves bicycle handling, lowers weight and increases the stiffness of the entire front end. After a very long wait we are able to show you Helix minus the front fork assembly. The front fork currently has some outstanding IP which we are waiting on. In these pictures you will see many new design features. The highlights include:
New rear dropouts that have a hooded design which increases weld surface area for a stronger weld. An all round tube structure making the rear swingarm very strong and lightweight. A swingarm latch that uses a bushing-pin interface which clamps the swingarm at the outermost points creating an extremely laterally stiff frame. A bulge in the seat tube. This is for a nylon insert that grips the seat post and also prevents galvanic corrosion between the titanium frame and the aluminum seat post. A keyway at the rear of the seat tube for a directional seat post which keeps the seat post aligned perfectly between folding and unfolding. An integrated seat post binder. This is now welded on to the frame which is a better solution for a folding bike as the seat is lowered and raised frequently. A new and improved helical hinge that is smother operating, longer lasting and impervious to dirt and debris. Finally, you will notice the finish on the bike is brushed not blasted. Our final testing is not yet complete but this is likely the finish you will receive. It is generally preferred for its appearance, durability and ease of scratch removal. It is the classic titanium bike look and usually comes at a premium as it would normally require hand finishing. We are very excited about these design features. We will be sharing the final Helix design with you very soon. Thank you for your support, patience and enthusiasm for Helix.

Peter and The Helix Team

Helix - The World's Best Folding Bike Copyright © 2016 Helix Folding Bike, All rights reserved.
You are receiving this email because you opted in at our website.

Our mailing address is:

Helix Folding Bike

25 Sheppard Ave W, Suite 300

Toronto, On M2N 6S9

Canada

Add us to your address book

Want to change how you receive these emails?
You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list
[QUOTE]
Old 08-02-16, 01:02 AM
Ultralight
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
The email update is for prospective clients who signed up for email notification. The supporter update today is different and more extensive. Regardless, I will say that it really does look fantastic. There have been photos of large pallets of bike parts in their storage so everything gives credence that the bike will indeed be fulfilled.

This really does look like a bike that may drastically redefine the price/performance ratio. Once this bike actually hits the market, I've been wondering for a while whether it is a threat to the likes of Brompton and Bike Friday. Helix is lower cost but better material, larger wheels, much lighter etc - and at $1600 for a 10 speed titanium? It also folds to about the same physical volume as a Brompton supposedly.

So, very impressive in all.
Old 08-02-16, 01:05 AM
Ultralight
Banned

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Azreal911
Chinese copy needs a full working bike to copy off of first

just copying parts that aren't fully tested would end in wasted money and effort which these pirate guys just don't do. But also the Helix guys pricing is pretty damn good already so i'm not sure how much cost cutting is actually safe to do on a copy.
I did chat with a Chinese titanium frame manufacturer a while ago and mentioned Helix as a comparison. They were stunned that Helix could produce something at that price range. The implication is that even Chinese copies could not sell a titanium bike of that caliber at that price. Just FYI.
Old 08-02-16, 03:26 AM
Abu Mahendra

Bikes: In service - FSIR Spin 3.0, Bannard Sunny minivelo, Dahon Dash Altena folder. Several others in construction or temporarily decommissioned.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Ultralight
...I've been wondering for a while whether it is a threat to the likes of Brompton and Bike Friday. Helix is lower cost but better material, larger wheels, much lighter etc - and at $1600 for a 10 speed titanium? It also folds to about the same physical volume as a Brompton supposedly.

To whom does a Brompton appeal? to those who need/want the smallest, quickest fold, and/or want the cachet, and bragging rights.

to whom does BF appeal? to those for whom made with steel in the US to your specification as your order comes up in the queu means something, and who want/need the cachet and bragging rights.

i belong to neither evangelical group yet i am intrigued by the Helix.

Last edited by Abu Mahendra; 08-02-16 at 03:32 AM.
Old 08-02-16, 05:34 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

The email update is for prospective clients who signed up for email notification. The supporter update today is different and more extensive. Regardless, I will say that it really does look fantastic. There have been photos of large pallets of bike parts in their storage so everything gives credence that the bike will indeed be fulfilled.

This really does look like a bike that may drastically redefine the price/performance ratio. Once this bike actually hits the market, I've been wondering for a while whether it is a threat to the likes of Brompton and Bike Friday. Helix is lower cost but better material, larger wheels, much lighter etc - and at $1600 for a 10 speed titanium? It also folds to about the same physical volume as a Brompton supposedly.

I didn't post the pictures, as copy & paste doesn't carry them over.

As for what's contained herein, I hope this is fully completed on a decent schedule. It will, possibly, change the folding bike industry for the better. Competition brings prices down.
Old 08-02-16, 09:38 AM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
I think the Helix looks amazing but it is not for everyone. To Ultralight's point, it is not for people who want a low standover. It might be a perfect second bike for my millennial son who disdains automobiles and uses public transit and trains exclusively. It could be a better choice for him than BF or Brompton.
To Abu's point, there is a large and growing faction of Americans who want to bring manufacturing back to this country and make an effort to buy American whenever possible. At this point, buying a Bike Friday has nothing to do with bragging/cachet for these folks (myself included) - they are the only American folding touring bike manufacturer. The fact that the bikes are great bikes is an added factor. I have no problem buying Canadian but would certainly choose to buy American first, assuming both items met my basic needs. It's a matter of putting jobs in my neighbor's hands and food on their tables.
Old 08-02-16, 07:33 PM
Giant Doofus

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Abu Mahendra
To whom does a Brompton appeal? to those who need/want the smallest, quickest fold, and/or want the cachet, and bragging rights.

to whom does BF appeal? to those for whom made with steel in the US to your specification as your order comes up in the queu means something, and who want/need the cachet and bragging rights.

i belong to neither evangelical group yet i am intrigued by the Helix.
I'm also intrigued. BF interests me because I could get larger wheels and more of a "regular bike" feel. But you basically have to disassemble it to get it into a suitcase.

Brompton would be great for the small fold, but I did a two-day test ride of one and -- much as I liked it -- just couldn't commit to those tiny wheels.

This one promises a good combination of the two: A regular bike feel with good-sized wheels, but also a small fold that could go into a suitcase without lots of disassembly. I'm also happy about the weight and disc brakes. If it comes to market, this might finally be the folder that wins me over.
Old 08-03-16, 05:11 AM
tmesis

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did chat with a Chinese titanium frame manufacturer a while ago and mentioned Helix as a comparison. They were stunned that Helix could produce something at that price range. The implication is that even Chinese copies could not sell a titanium bike of that caliber at that price. Just FYI.
The price for Helix's 10 speed model is $1600, I think.
Bikesdirect sells titanium road and cyclocross bikes with premium (Ultegra, etc.) groupsets for about that price, so I think it can be done.
Old 08-03-16, 06:04 AM
downtube

Bikes: Many Downtube Folders :)

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by tmesis
The price for Helix's 10 speed model is $1600, I think.
Bikesdirect sells titanium road and cyclocross bikes with premium (Ultegra, etc.) groupsets for about that price, so I think it can be done.
It can be done for much less than $1600. It requires efficiency, which most startups possess.

Thanks,
Yan
Semi-active chess player ( two time Bahamas National Champion )
Sivananda ( Bahamas ) Trained Yoga instructor ( 2013 ) and ThetaHealer since 2013
Bicycle delivery worker for Jimmy John's. Delivering is the best workout I have ever had.
Old 08-03-16, 09:36 AM
chesky

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tds101
I didn't post the pictures, as copy & paste doesn't carry them over.

As for what's contained herein, I hope this is fully completed on a decent schedule. It will, possibly, change the folding bike industry for the better. Competition brings prices down.
Could you please post those pictures? I am so interested in the bike.
Old 08-03-16, 01:09 PM
SunDuck

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What price for a folding bicycle frame a'la Helix bike Chinese manufacturer called?
Old 08-03-16, 02:53 PM
smallwheeler

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
haha. and so it begins.
Old 08-03-16, 03:36 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Originally Posted by chesky
Sorry, no can do. I deleted the email, and I didn't save the pictures. I'm sure one of the other people here, who have been recieving the emails as well, could post them for you.
Old 08-03-16, 04:59 PM
bargainguy

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked 303 Times in 187 Posts
I've been following this discussion, and I have a few thoughts.

1. Titanium is a difficult frame material to work with, and needs extensive back-purging to avoid weld contamination and failure. Sometimes failures don't show up for some time. Difficult enough on a non-folding bike, but on a folder, it's a more critical application. Perhaps this is at least one reason we haven't seen a widely distributed titanium folder - yet.

2. Titanium can be a superb ride. I have an Indy Fab Crown Jewel in ti, and it's one of my favorite rides, perhaps my all-time favorite on rough roads. So no bias against ti as a frame material. However, IF does something a little different with their ti frames, namely, targeted bead blasting after welding to help counteract the stresses of welding. It's not a cosmetic procedure, it's a stress reliever. So there are different methods of dealing with welding stresses. I'd be curious to know if and what Helix is doing in this regard.

3. If Helix can bring in a 10-speed ti folder at $1600, good on them. It would certainly be a game changer in the folding world.

4. Taking into account #1 and 2 above, what happens if their ti frames start having safety issues? A recall would be a devastating blow to the company, as I doubt they would have sufficient capital to withstand such an event, given subsequent frame replacements and the other costs associated.

5. I'm cautiously optimistic. I certainly don't hope they have any safety issues and can bring their bike in at the target price, have it well received and that it lasts the life of the rider.
Old 08-03-16, 06:00 PM
jur

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by chesky
They are available at https://www.ridehelix.ca/blog/
Old 08-04-16, 08:24 AM
invisiblehand
Part-time epistemologist

Bikes: Jamis Nova, Bike Friday triplet, Bike Friday NWT, STRIDA, Austro Daimler Vent Noir, Hollands Tourer

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
FWIW, it looks like an awesome bike to me. But my experience is that the first versions come with lots of bugs. Some obvious. Others fall into bargainguy's points below.

Waiting, IMO, is totally worth whatever higher price you pay later.
Old 08-04-16, 08:34 AM
Diode100

Bikes: 2011 Jetstream P11 Alfine; 3sp Presto-Lite; Occasional Access to 6sp Brompton

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I know Ti is super strong but can't help but think the rear forks / swinging arm look a little bit "weak" considering the forces that are going to be acting through them
Old 09-19-16, 05:28 AM
SunDuck

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Helix bike

Any news?
Old 09-19-16, 09:13 AM
jur

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
No good news. Delays are stretching ever bigger and huge changes in manufacturing have been made recently. There is no evidence that Helix has a team; despite many requests to the inventor to introduce his team, that hasn't happened. It looks like Helix have been asked to leave the premises they were occupying in an original partnership, and needed to get a fresh factory site.
Old 09-19-16, 09:15 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

I hope you guys don't lose the $$$ that you invested. This bike would have been fantastic,...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.