Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Any experience or thoughts about Mg bicycles?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Any experience or thoughts about Mg bicycles?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-20, 05:47 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
But, several big differences. 1) the safety bicycle was much faster because you could gear it so much higher. 2) Anybody could ride it, not just tall, brave (usually young) men.. 3) The penny farthing had been around, what 15 years? It wasn't entrenched in everybody's garage, 5 bike shops in every small city. Most people had never even considered riding a bike until the safety came along.
That's a good point.
Also we don't adopt big changes simply because they are better. Witness the metric system. Yes, we (the US) use metric a little because we have to to compete in the world. But our choice for everyday use is more archaic than the safety bicycle.
I still remember a big promotion of the metric system when Jimmy Carter was president. It was heavily promoted, and taught in the schools. But I think two things happened. First was the predictable backlash, that the metric system was some sort of imposition by the government on our private lives. Second, everybody was told right up front that the metric system is easier because it's just math. But when people hear the word "math," they freeze.

Many years later when I was in grad school, a machinist told me: "I hate the metric system because of all the math." But he could compute dimensions in the US system -- fractional and decimal -- in his head. So he obviously didn't have a problem with math, but had been convinced that it must be hard because of math.

Today it has become a moot point. Most manufacturing industries have switched to metric fasteners. Designers and machine tools handle both systems simultaneously. Most high tech equipment works in metric but displays US if you want it to by computing the conversion. All standards of weights and measure are defined in terms of metric units. The remaining uses for inch based tools are getting fewer and further between. There are still a few funny standards such as pipe and the dimensions of lumber, that are essentially benign. So I think the whole controversy between US and metric just kind of fizzled.
Old 11-17-20, 08:01 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
I used a set of Nashbar-branded magnesium pedals for several years without any episodes of bursting into flames.
A Paketa magnesium tandem was ridden by a team at a couple of tandem events we participated in several years ago. They had nothing but good to say about it. Very light! Paketa apparently no longer in business.
Old 11-17-20, 10:13 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
Many years later when I was in grad school, a machinist told me: "I hate the metric system because of all the math." But he could compute dimensions in the US system -- fractional and decimal -- in his head. So he obviously didn't have a problem with math, but had been convinced that it must be hard because of math..
That is very possibly the strangest thing I have ever heard from anyone not pushing around a shopping cart full of all of their belongings.
Likes For Cyclist0108:
Old 11-17-20, 10:14 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Originally Posted by JanMM
I used a set of Nashbar-branded magnesium pedals for several years without any episodes of bursting into flames.
A Paketa magnesium tandem was ridden by a team at a couple of tandem events we participated in several years ago. They had nothing but good to say about it. Very light! Paketa apparently no longer in business.
There was a wildfire ignited in the Sierra a few years ago from a Mg pedal strike.
Old 11-17-20, 10:19 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Originally Posted by the sci guy
Hey everyone - someone in the Cyclocross/Gravel forum pointed me over here because they saw this thread.

So, I'm one of those brand ambassadors jadocs mentioned above. I've been riding my A/1 for about 4 months. It's my first gravel bike and so far I am loving it.
I also read the review yesterday that mstateglfr posted and thought it was real good critical review - I agreed with a lot of it.

My thoughts on the bike so far:

Thanks. That is extremely helpful.

May I ask what your dimensions are (esp height, inseam)?
Old 11-18-20, 02:39 AM
hsuBM
jj

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 78 Posts
I'm one of those brand ambassadors jadocs mentioned above.

It's my first gravel bike.
What? Of course you’re loving it. Gravel bikes are great.
Old 11-18-20, 05:25 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
There are one piece cast Mg frames. They look very logical. Just one big squirt, and there you are a bike frame, and almost no manual labor what so ever.
The bottom bracket may be cast (although I suspect forged) but the tubes are all drawn, hydroformed, and welded. You can see the "stacks of dimes" welds at the joints.

Also, unless an Mg bike was run over, got caught under a car, was doused in fuel and the fuel was ignited, it would be hard to get it to burn (as pointed out above, the Mg metal cuttings - called "swarf" - can be ignited and that makes machining Mg pretty dangerous.)

Regarding corrosion, a scrupulously good paint job inside and out would probably preserve the frame for decades. That said, if this was used in wet conditions over a period of years I'd have to think that there'd be significant corrosion under the paint. They used to make slide rules out of Mg. Nice and light, but the exposed surfaces of those rules are now rough, and there is generally a lot of corrosion under the painted surfaces. And that's for extremely good paint jobs (the markings had to survive fingers touching hundreds of times a day for years) of objects kept in very clean, dry indoor environments.

Mg apparently has good damping characteristics. At least that's the claim here: https://www.precisiontandems.com/cat...amagnesium.htm
Likes For WizardOfBoz:
Old 11-18-20, 06:25 AM
y0x8
Ups!

Bikes: SE, Polo&Bike, Forward Indie, New Fixed Gear

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Funny,I read the 1984 interview with Tom Kellog, Gary Klein and Jim Redcay last night. Klein said then that bicycles were in the third "era". First era - push bikes. Second era- pedals and the high wheelers. Third era- safety bikes - diamond frames and chain/shaft driven drive trains. That he had developed a new tubing for the closing chapter of the third era. That further evolution in metals, composites and ceramics were just more of the end of that era.

Magnesium -more tweaks to push this era a little longer. (The first two eras lasted about 15 years each, This one has gone on 140 years. Will any of us live to see the next?)
Here is perhaps the fourth era: the four-pedal bicycle. On its basis, you can build the latest bicycles - snowmobiles, steppers, cargo bicycles with very high torque, but relatively fast. A whole layer of mechanisms unknown to science and society.

https://www.bikeforums.net/alt-bike-...ar-newfix.html

Last edited by y0x8; 11-18-20 at 06:28 AM.
Old 11-18-20, 09:08 AM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
Thanks. That is extremely helpful.

May I ask what your dimensions are (esp height, inseam)?
Glad to help. I'm 5'5", with an inseam of about 30". I'm slightly more leg than torso I think, but pretty balanced. Their fit calculator on the website said I should be an XS, but they didn't have any frames available in that size for me to test and I wanted one ASAP so I was close enough to the S that I went for it. I played around with the fit calculator and put in measurements close to my height to see how far I had to go to get to the next size and it wasn't too far so I figured I can tweak the bike to work for me.
As you can see from the pics I didn't need to slam my seatpost, and while I did have to shrink the reach, I was probably going to do that anyway with a stem/bars of my choosing. Personally I would recommend the XS for someone my size if you want a truer, better fit, but 5'5" and up can ride a S. Anyone shorter than me I wouldn't recommend though.
The way Vaast measures reach and stack are a little different than normal and designed to get you a slightly more upright position because the bike is geared more toward being all-day comfort.

Hope that helps a bit.

Originally Posted by hsuBM
What? Of course you’re loving it. Gravel bikes are great.
Hell yeah!

Originally Posted by WizardOfBoz
The bottom bracket may be cast (although I suspect forged) but the tubes are all drawn, hydroformed, and welded. You can see the "stacks of dimes" welds at the joints.

Also, unless an Mg bike was run over, got caught under a car, was doused in fuel and the fuel was ignited, it would be hard to get it to burn (as pointed out above, the Mg metal cuttings - called "swarf" - can be ignited and that makes machining Mg pretty dangerous.)

Regarding corrosion, a scrupulously good paint job inside and out would probably preserve the frame for decades. That said, if this was used in wet conditions over a period of years I'd have to think that there'd be significant corrosion under the paint. They used to make slide rules out of Mg. Nice and light, but the exposed surfaces of those rules are now rough, and there is generally a lot of corrosion under the painted surfaces. And that's for extremely good paint jobs (the markings had to survive fingers touching hundreds of times a day for years) of objects kept in very clean, dry indoor environments.

Mg apparently has good damping characteristics. At least that's the claim here: https://www.precisiontandems.com/cat...amagnesium.htm
I will attest to the nice ride of the bike - the combo of the mg frame and the carbon seatpost have been very noticeable.
As far as the corrosion goes, Vaast's/Allite's magnesium cocktail has been processed to reduce the impurity levels to a minimum to help against corrosion. Additionally, the frame gets PEO (plasma electrolytic oxidation) bath to envelope the Mg alloy in a nice ceramic layer which helps prevent corrosion and protects the frame as well as add to the stability of the frame.

I'll definitely post pics if/when my bike bursts into flames. Should be great for Instagram! lol
Old 11-18-20, 09:36 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 490 Posts
I remember a few guys riding magnesium bikes 20 years ago.

The rock shox mag 21 is what, 30 years old now?

So is the innovation the dropped chain stay? Just like I can get from about 20 other brands and even generic.
Old 11-18-20, 10:25 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Glad to help. I'm 5'5", with an inseam of about 30". l
Thanks! (I'm 5'9" with an inseam of about 29", so fitting can be an issue.)
Old 11-18-20, 10:25 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Originally Posted by rosefarts
I remember a few guys riding magnesium bikes 20 years ago.

The rock shox mag 21 is what, 30 years old now?

So is the innovation the dropped chain stay? Just like I can get from about 20 other brands and even generic.
Hold out for the Lithium bike.
Likes For Cyclist0108:
Old 11-19-20, 07:41 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3588 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
I thought magnesium was usually for castings.
That's what the Kirk magnesium frame was. Never really caught on, though.

1987 Kirk precision magnesium road bike | Classic Cycle Bainbridge Island Kitsap County
Attached Images
Old 11-19-20, 09:27 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
There was a wildfire ignited in the Sierra a few years ago from a Mg pedal strike.
Is that really true or here say? A story like that could come from someone that hated people mountain biking!
Old 11-19-20, 09:31 AM
rydabent
Banned

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson

1987 Kirk precision magnesium road bike | Classic Cycle Bainbridge Island Kitsap County
That frame seems really logical. As I say just one big high pressure squirt, and there you are a whole light weight bike frame. There would be really very low labor cost. Drilling the BB and some mounting holes on the drop outs would be all that would be needed to have a frame ready to build up.
Old 11-19-20, 09:46 AM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts

that might be because it's ugly as hell, though? ::shrug emoji::
Old 11-19-20, 02:31 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Is that really true or here say? A story like that could come from someone that hated people mountain biking!
That was blamed, and though people are skeptical, it's at least possible.

https://www.bicycling.com/rides/g200...rt-a-wildfire/
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 11-20-20, 07:16 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 337 Times in 204 Posts

I've heard of fire starting from an overheated bicycle brake rotor. Which I guess is just as unlikely, yet possible.

https://www.welovecycling.com/wide/2...-fire-austria/
Old 11-20-20, 10:41 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Thanks for the assist.

Also:

Fire investigators have concluded that sparks from a mountain bike pedal striking a rock caused a recent fire in a US National Forest that spans parts of California and Nevada. A statement posted Wednesday on the Inyo National Forest Facebook page claimed that an investigation determined the cause of the blaze to be a pedal strike.

“The cause of the Rock Creek fire that started on August 5th has been determined. Investigators have concluded that the fire was started from a bicycle pedal strike to a rock. Conclusive evidence was found in the fire origin area that was on the Lower Rock Creek mountain bike trail. A fire ignition from this type of trigger is a testament to how dry the area is right now. All residents and visitors are asked to be extremely careful with anything that may cause a fire while you are out in the forest,” the post read.
Source: BikeRadar

Chances are the rider never knew anything happened, and that this is a low-probability freak event.

The 86,000 acres surrounding my house got incinerated 3 months ago from a freak, a priori low-probability event (a mid-summer lightning storm).
Old 11-21-20, 08:57 AM
rydabent
Banned

that might be because it's ugly as hell, though? ::shrug emoji::
Ugly? I dont think so. I fine it quite interesting and attractive.

Last edited by rydabent; 11-21-20 at 09:20 AM.
Old 11-21-20, 03:02 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

There is one of these hung proudly on display at my LBS. I've never seen it on the road.
Old 11-21-20, 05:56 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3952 Post(s)
Liked 7,297 Times in 2,947 Posts
Ugly? I dont think so. I fine it quite interesting and attractive.
I probably would agree if I lived in the world of recumbents ... but I don't, so it's butt ugly.
Old 11-22-20, 09:07 AM
rydabent
Banned

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
I probably would agree if I lived in the world of recumbents ... but I don't, so it's butt ugly.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Also functionality comes into play. So, sorry you are not the final word on what is good looking or not.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 11-22-20, 12:13 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Magnesium
https://www.smartrike.com/xtend-mg-c...e-balance-bike
Old 11-22-20, 01:22 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3952 Post(s)
Liked 7,297 Times in 2,947 Posts
So, sorry you are not the final word on what is good looking or not.
I don't recall stating that I was ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.