Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

You're all wrong.

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-20, 09:18 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
You're all wrong.

The thread has been closed and I don't have any data but I think that everybody missed the reason the majority of bikes are stolen: The thief simply wants a quick ride to wherever he happens to be going. That's why the cheesiest lock that you can put on your bike is still about 90% effective.
Old 12-09-20, 09:26 AM
Charliekeet

Bikes: S-Works Stumpjumper HT Disc, Fuji Absolute, Kona Jake the Snake, '85 Cannondale SR900

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
The thread has been closed and I don't have any data but I think that everybody missed the reason the majority of bikes are stolen: The thief simply wants a quick ride to wherever he happens to be going. That's why the cheesiest lock that you can put on your bike is still about 90% effective.
OK, well, I’ll bite. I disagree with your first statement, and agree with your second.
Likes For Charliekeet:
Old 12-09-20, 09:28 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
So's your mom...
Old 12-09-20, 09:29 AM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 380 Posts
Sure all those reasons. How bout The one when you're a teenager visiting your girlfriend on the other side of town and have to walk home before curfew. After a while you realize you're not gonna make it in time. You see a bike in a front yard and you ride it almost home then just dump the bike in someone else's yard.
Old 12-09-20, 09:32 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
I totally agree. Probably most are a snatch and run by teenagers. Even the smallest cable will stop them. They dont normally carry two foot long cable cutters, or battery powered grinders.
Old 12-09-20, 09:56 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by texaspandj
Sure all those reasons. How bout The one when you're a teenager visiting your girlfriend on the other side of town and have to walk home before curfew. After a while you realize you're not gonna make it in time. You see a bike in a front yard and you ride it almost home then just dump the bike in someone else's yard.
Don't forget the commuter who is walking downtown in the morning to catch the train, but once in awhile he is a few minutes late so he grabs the first unattended bicycle he sees and rides it to the station, eventually abandoning in in someone else's yard. He made the train on time so all is well.
Old 12-09-20, 10:40 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10961 Post(s)
Liked 7,488 Times in 4,189 Posts
Since we are effectively opening that thread back up thru this one...

This summer I sold a high quality Diamondback hardtail MTB to a guy who was very much not a cyclist. He took out his phone, videoed the bike, then sent the video and we waited a few minutes. Then he got a call and spoke Spanish for a few minutes. He asked me a couple questions, then hung up and shelled over a lot of $20 bills.
I was super curious and we spent the next 10min talking about how he buys bikes and brings them down to a friend in Mexico for him to ride and eventually sell. He makes the trip a couple times a year and brings 5-15 bikes at a time. His friend came up here for college and worked here for a handful of years before moving home and they used to work together. The guy brings his kids on the trip sometimes and they visit where the dad grew up while down in MX. Its cheaper to buy the bikes up here and pay for the border fees than it is to buy them down in MX, especially since many arent available there.

It was odd, but really cool to hear. <---so a typical CL transaction.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 12-09-20, 10:52 AM
sloppy12

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 147 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Since we are effectively opening that thread back up thru this one...

This summer I sold a high quality Diamondback hardtail MTB to a guy who was very much not a cyclist. He took out his phone, videoed the bike, then sent the video and we waited a few minutes. Then he got a call and spoke Spanish for a few minutes. He asked me a couple questions, then hung up and shelled over a lot of $20 bills.
I was super curious and we spent the next 10min talking about how he buys bikes and brings them down to a friend in Mexico for him to ride and eventually sell. He makes the trip a couple times a year and brings 5-15 bikes at a time. His friend came up here for college and worked here for a handful of years before moving home and they used to work together. The guy brings his kids on the trip sometimes and they visit where the dad grew up while down in MX. Its cheaper to buy the bikes up here and pay for the border fees than it is to buy them down in MX, especially since many arent available there.

It was odd, but really cool to hear. <---so a typical CL transaction.
They like old school mini pickups to. dudes would come to used car lots and buy all of them, then a van would come back and they would drive them all back.
Old 12-09-20, 11:03 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
We closed the last one because someone couldn't avoid stereotyping Mexicans and here we are talking about Mexicans again. That is not going to end well. Which is why we don't appreciate people reopening closed threads, however good the intentions might be.