Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

oval chainrings benefits

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

oval chainrings benefits

Old 12-16-20, 10:18 PM
wmh9680

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
oval chainrings benefits

Hi, been seeing alot about oval chainrings. Any opinions on their benefits and can they be put on most any bike? Thanks, Mike
Old 12-16-20, 10:35 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4332 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
They get your bike noticed. People have other claims they feel are legitimate but I like a good circular chainring. I don't want oval wheels or Oval wheels why would I want them for my chainrings.

I do have an old XT crank with Biopacé chainrings and I may end up using it but I have a feeling I am not going to be keen on them. I don't like an oddness while pedaling.
Old 12-17-20, 12:36 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
If you feel good and perform well compared to the other riders around you, you can point out that your wise choice of elliptical chainrings maximized your potential. If you fare poorly, you can blame those stupid oval rings you've been experimenting with.
Old 12-17-20, 06:09 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 796 Times in 473 Posts
I have them on several bikes and I like them for climbing and off road riding. My first experience with them was a set of 50/34 Absolute Black chainrings on my road bike. I really liked the small chainring for climbing steep hills, because it allowed me to keep my cadence higher than with a round ring. I was not a fan of the large chainring. because the benefit was not as noticeable and it just felt weird at higher cadence(95+).

When I built my first gravel bike, I used an oval small chainring, but kept the large chainring round. That combo results in a few moments of lumpy pedaling feel when switching from the small oval to the large round ring, but the feeling goes away quickly. Switching from large to small doesn't feel odd at all. It just feels like it is easier to pedal, as it normally does when switching to the small ring.

My latest gravel bike has a 1x drivetrain with a round chainring and I really miss the oval when the hills get steep. Besides being harder to maintain a good climbing cadence with the round ring, I also notice that it breaks traction on loose surface climbs where the bike with the oval rings does not break traction.
Old 12-17-20, 08:09 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
I think it depends a lot on your cadence and pedaling style.

At the very top of your pedal stroke a rider is able to produce less torque than when the crank arms are perpendicular. Oval chainrings, in theory, would help that. As you pedal in circles, however, your pedals also generate a rotational momentum. The greater your cadence and the smoother your pedal stroke, the less benefit you are likely to feel from oval chainrings.
Old 12-17-20, 08:12 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
As you pedal in circles, however, your pedals also generate a rotational momentum.
Go on.......explain further.
Old 12-17-20, 08:50 AM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
this topic has been beaten TO DEATH for several years by keyboard warriors of varying levels of ignorance on the subject. an oval chainring doesn't cost that much, so the only way to know if it benefits you is to buy one and try it out. if, after a hundred miles or so, you find that it's weird or just doesn't do anything for you, you can probably still sell it and not have lost much money.
Likes For mack_turtle:
Old 12-17-20, 08:59 AM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
It's a gimmick that comes and gos every now and then. "Biopace"

Stick to circular, pedal circular.
Old 12-17-20, 09:02 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Originally Posted by dsaul
I also notice that it breaks traction on loose surface climbs where the bike with the oval rings does not break traction.
Interesting. Is this a function of the smoother delivery of power from the original BioPace-style rings, or something more modern?
Old 12-17-20, 09:18 AM
rogertc1

Bikes: Bianchi Campe D'Italian 84, Trek custom by me touring bike- 1986. Plus another 8/9 in my collection

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Something old and something new

The Retrogrouch: Oval Chainrings Again (bikeretrogrouch.blogspot.com)
Old 12-17-20, 09:21 AM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
note: ignore any of the idiots who directly compare the current breed of oval chainrings to Biopace. this kind of ignorance is common and very tenacious, but it's pure ignorance nonetheless. it's a lot of fat, old keyboard warriors and armchair engineers pontificating on something they clearly don't understand because they're butthurt over something that failed in the marketplace decades ago. I'm not saying modern oval rings are the best choice for everyone or work miracles in some way, just that saying they are the same thing as Biopace is dumb and a worthwhile reason to get on everyone's "ignore list."
Likes For mack_turtle:
Old 12-17-20, 09:50 AM
Maelochs

Ummm .... yeah ... except some of us fat old men Realize that BioPace oriented the rings differently than most of the more recent oval ring manufacturers .... which is why this fat old man asked the question.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 12-17-20, 10:21 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 796 Times in 473 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Interesting. Is this a function of the smoother delivery of power from the original BioPace-style rings, or something more modern?
These are modern oval rings. The one on the gravel bike is from USAmade, but I have it clocked to match the Absolute Black oval ring on my road bike. I tried it with the USAmade clocking and preferred the clocking of the Absolute Black ring. I don't know if USAmade is clocked differently due to some Absolute Black patent, but changing it by one bolt hole makes it nearly identical to the AB ring.

The traction benefit is definitely due to smoothing out the power delivery.
Old 12-17-20, 10:22 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by mack_turtle
note: ignore any of the idiots who directly compare the current breed of oval chainrings to Biopace. this kind of ignorance is common and very tenacious, but it's pure ignorance nonetheless. it's a lot of fat, old keyboard warriors and armchair engineers pontificating on something they clearly don't understand because they're butthurt over something that failed in the marketplace decades ago. I'm not saying modern oval rings are the best choice for everyone or work miracles in some way, just that saying they are the same thing as Biopace is dumb and a worthwhile reason to get on everyone's "ignore list."
What he said^^^^^

Anyone suggesting that modern ovals like Wolftooth or Absolute Black are a re-hash of Biopace does not have a clue what they are talking about.

And they are also blissfully unaware that they have caught on quite well in MTB.

The ignorance trying to pass as informed savvy would be entertaining were it so mis-informative.
Likes For Kapusta: