Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Who makes the best bike shop-quality air pump?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-10, 01:03 AM
Autobus
Commuting Fool

Bikes: Raleigh Rush Hour (SS/fixie)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My Serfas FMP 500 finally petered out after 5 years of heavy use. I need to buy another pump.

List top pumps and why they are great?
Old 07-17-10, 01:06 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12736 Post(s)
Liked 7,647 Times in 4,055 Posts
I've had my Silca since 1997 or so. Unbeatable, IMO.

Why it's great? Well, it's simple, looks good, works well and replacement parts are fairly easy to come by.

Something about brass gives me wood.
Old 07-17-10, 02:09 AM
zzyzx_xyzzy
headtube.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The one pump that might give Silca a run for its money is the Lezyne. Screw on chuck, so secure. All metal with a wooden handle, looks badass. Rebuildable. I've heard practically nothing but raves about their products.
Old 07-17-10, 02:18 AM
AaronJohnTurner

Bikes: 2010 Trek Vlaencia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zzyzx_xyzzy
The one pump that might give Silca a run for its money is the Lezyne. Screw on chuck, so secure. All metal with a wooden handle, looks badass. Rebuildable. I've heard practically nothing but raves about their products.
+1
Best chuck I've found that fits a Presta.
Old 07-17-10, 06:11 AM
CCrew
Older than dirt

Bikes: Too darn many.. latest count is 11

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Best one I've used is actually a Specialized Air Force.
Old 07-17-10, 06:29 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7346 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
I have two, a Specialized and a Joe Blow. So far, the Specialized is holding up better.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 07-17-10, 06:41 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
I have an OLD Silca that's still going strong but the heavy all-brass Presta-only chuck is a bit tricky to use, particularly on threaded valve stems. I don't know how well their newer chuck designs work.

My current daily use pump is the Park PFP-4 shop-level model. It works well but it's too new to assess durability.

I've also heard good things about Lenzye pumps but have no personal experience with any of them.
Old 07-17-10, 06:49 AM
reptilezs

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
the screw on chuck on the lenzyne is too slow. we carry specialized pumps at the shop and they have a lifetime warranty and are fully rebuildable.
Old 07-17-10, 06:49 AM
sakonnetclip

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CCrew
Best one I've used is actually a Specialized Air Force.
I took my old Air Force into a LBS to see if they had a rubber gasket that would fit...turns out they had the entire hose/head assembly and gave it to me for free! Not bad for a 10 year old pump.
Old 07-17-10, 08:32 AM
well biked

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by Autobus
My Serfas FMP 500 finally petered out after 5 years of heavy use. I need to buy another pump.

List top pumps and why they are great?
Serfas warranty is second to none, and that pump has a lifetime warranty, no questions asked. Go to the nearest bike shop that carries Serfas products and they'll get you a free replacement. I had a customer bring in a Serfas FP 200, a less expensive pump than yours, and ask me if there was anything I could do about a warranty replacement. The pump was old and faded, and was not purchased at our shop. But Serfas stresses their warranty, and basically says "make the customer happy, we'll take care of you." We carry the FP 200, and I gave the customer a new one. I placed an order with Serfas a few days later, mentioned the warranty pump, and they instantly put an extra FP200 on our order, no charge.
Old 07-17-10, 09:59 AM
Jed19

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by reptilezs
the screw on chuck on the lenzyne is too slow. we carry specialized pumps at the shop and they have a lifetime warranty and are fully rebuildable.
I have a Lezyne. And the chuck has made torn-off presta stems a non-issue for me. I'll take slow, sturdy and reliable any day.
Old 07-17-10, 10:03 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5766 Post(s)
Liked 2,538 Times in 1,404 Posts
SKS makes an all steel and brass bulletproof pump with a leather washer. Zefal used to sell it in the USA under the name Zefal Husky. I think it's now available directly from SKS, and if so will outlast your grandchildren.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 07-17-10, 10:12 AM
badamsjr
17yrold in 64yrold body

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My everyday pump is a Joe Blow Pro that I have had for about six years. I carry another one in the trunk of my car for rides at a distance. I bought a couple rebuild kits, but have not needed them to this point. Only problem I've had has nothing to do with pump action: a plastic latch to hold the handle has broken at the pivot point on both pumps. No biggie, the pump action is still good. I also like the high-mounted gauge--easier for us older guys to see!
Old 07-17-10, 11:08 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1659 Post(s)
Liked 1,807 Times in 1,053 Posts
I've used my Gast tank unit without complaint for the last 20 years but I admit I can't really compare it with what might be available in today's marketplace.

tcs
Old 07-17-10, 11:23 AM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
I have a silica for 1983 still going strong.
Old 07-17-10, 11:23 AM
vautrain

Bikes: Several, all steel and 650b

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a Lezyne and not only is it slow due to the chuck, but I've had it pull apart two-piece presta valves while I'm taking the chuck off the valve. Of course, the tube loses pressure dramatically, at a spectacular rate. It was fun and alarming the first time. Now I know not to screw the chuck on too tightly, but I still worry about repeat performances.

The aesthetics of the Lezyne are first-class though, and I have no doubt it will last a long, long time.
Old 07-17-10, 03:05 PM
operator
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
If your shop is relying on hand floor pumps to do repairs and general airing you're already failing. Compressor will save tons of time. When there's no compressor around the lezyne is awesome.
Old 07-17-10, 03:31 PM
reptilezs

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by operator
If your shop is relying on hand floor pumps to do repairs and general airing you're already failing. Compressor will save tons of time. When there's no compressor around the lezyne is awesome.
o no way that i would work without an airline. our shop has hoses plumbed to every work bench with schrader chucks and home made presta inflators with silca heads on them. the pumps are for customer purchase. i just dont like the chuck/head on the lezyne.
Old 07-17-10, 03:47 PM
Soil_Sampler
A little North of Hell

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
sks

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...light=sks+pump

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...light=sks+pump
Old 07-17-10, 03:50 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Chime in on Silca, 20 years on mine One Note don't shove the thing on too far .. not up on the larger fine threaded portion, its too much wear on the gasket to pry it off when full of air and tight on the thread .

there's an unthreaded portion on all stems between the 2 thread types seals when the pressure in the air chuck is higher than the outside.

The other keeps on ticking pump , for the Schrader types. Medai.
Old 07-17-10, 04:14 PM
Polka Dot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Lezyne Micro Floor drive attached to my road bike frame. A couple of minutes ago I finished both the tires at 110psi. It was very easy and could go higher w.o. a problem. Since it is so light and powerful, it has replaced all other solutions for me.

ps. I have the one without the gauge. I have a pocketable Schwalbe device to measure pressure.
Old 07-17-10, 06:09 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
The other keeps on ticking pump , for the Schrader types. Medai.
+1. You can't hurt these things with a big hammer. Mine is 25 years old and still works well. Unfortunately they have been "out of print" for many years and repair and maintenance parts are getting hard to find.
Old 07-18-10, 08:46 PM
Autobus
Commuting Fool

Bikes: Raleigh Rush Hour (SS/fixie)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by well biked
Serfas warranty is second to none, and that pump has a lifetime warranty, no questions asked. Go to the nearest bike shop that carries Serfas products and they'll get you a free replacement. I had a customer bring in a Serfas FP 200, a less expensive pump than yours, and ask me if there was anything I could do about a warranty replacement. The pump was old and faded, and was not purchased at our shop. But Serfas stresses their warranty, and basically says "make the customer happy, we'll take care of you." We carry the FP 200, and I gave the customer a new one. I placed an order with Serfas a few days later, mentioned the warranty pump, and they instantly put an extra FP200 on our order, no charge.
Hooray! What I wound up doing was ordering a replacement head directly from Serfas online for $5.00 w/ free shipping!
Old 07-19-10, 05:40 AM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
More than slow, that two-piece reversible chuck on the Lezyne is a nuisance. It's too easy to unscrew the chuck from the hose while trying to tighten it onto the valve stem. I bought a Lezyne thinking I'd be all happy w/it, but it mostly sits unused in a corner of my work area. It *looks* sharp though, sitting there like it does.

Right now I'm using Specialized pumps, but I've replaced their chucks with some from Planet Bike that work much better than what comes from Specialized.
Old 07-19-10, 02:41 PM
Metaluna

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO, Gunnar Sport, Soma Saga, Workswell WCBR-146

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 19 Posts
o no way that i would work without an airline. our shop has hoses plumbed to every work bench with schrader chucks and home made presta inflators with silca heads on them. the pumps are for customer purchase. i just dont like the chuck/head on the lezyne.
I think I agree with this. I have one of their mini-floor pump models on one of my bikes. On paper, the screw-on head looks like a great idea. But after using it a couple of times on the road, I have to admit I find it kind of a pain to work with. It was slow to get on and off, and even worse, it had a tendency to bind under pressure so it was really hard to unscrew (to be fair, the Lezynes I've seen in the shops lately, including the floor pumps, seem to have a revised head that looks different and feels smoother). When I'm fitting a new tube I like to fill it up part way while it's off the bike so I can work my way around the wheel with my fingers, checking the bead and making sure everything is seated. Ideally this requires removing the chuck. Then you have to screw it back on when the wheel is mounted and pump up to pressure, and deal with the sticky head again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.