Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Giant Halfway

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Giant Halfway

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-05, 07:51 AM
ruchai

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by bigbenaugust
Thanks for the info, gentlemen. Great pictures, too.

I'm not really interested in the RS, but I kinda wish I could get one in blue (like yours, ruchai) to match my '03 Rainier.

The 7-speed Halfway for 2005 are only available in blue in Asia, black in Europe and silver in America. Why? I don't know.
Old 03-11-05, 11:37 AM
bigbenaugust 
always rides with luggage

Bikes: 2007 Trek SU100, 2009 Fantom CX, 2012 Fantom Cross Uno, Bakfiets

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Is that rack at all useful? I have a trunk bag that I might want to use on it.
Previously: 2000 Trek 4500 (2000-2003), 2003 Novara Randonee (2003-2006), 2003 Giant Rainier (2003-2008), 2005 Xootr Swift (2005-2007), 2007 Nashbar 1x9 (2007-2011), 2011 Windsor Shetland (2011-2014), 2008 Citizen Folder (2015)
Non-Bike hardware: MX Linux / BunsenLabs Linux / Raspbian / Mac OS 10.6 / Android 7
Old 03-11-05, 12:13 PM
14R 
Bromptonaut

Bikes: 1994 Diamond Back Racing Prevail ti; Miyata 914, Miyata 1000, 2017 Van Nicholas Chinook

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
In my opinion: No, it is not useful. That's why mine is gone.
Old 03-11-05, 10:26 PM
ruchai

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I use the rack occasionally for shoppings. Usually I attached a basket to the rack. It supposed to be able to carry 10 kgs. (22 lbs.) load. Handlebar bag from Giant seems tobe more useful.
Old 03-15-05, 03:52 PM
jcf

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm fairly new to folding bikes, but I recently purchased a one-speed Halfway-f while I was in travelling in China. I'm planning on taking some long trips overseas and I was looking for a bike to travel with. Although it isn't as compact, this bike seemed much more stable and well built than the other folding bikes that I found available in Southwest China.

I'm now trying to figure out how to travel with this bike and what kind of bag to use. I would like to take only the bike and a backpack which will hold my clothes. I would like to arrive, set up the bike, and ride out of the airport with the backpack on my back. I only plan on riding in cities, not touring.

I don't think that it will qualify as carry-on luggage for most airlines, so how can I protect it if its going to travel as checked luggage? Mine didn't come with the bag that's included with the 7 speed models. I can order one from Giant, but is this bag more for use as a carry-on ? Do you think that bubble wrap or foam on the inside of the bag would protect it enough? I would like to avoid having to travel with another large piece of luggage, since I plan to cycle away from terminals. Any insight into suggested bags and how to pack for air, bus, and train travel would be greatly appreciated.

The owners manual was in Chinese so I wasn't clear on some things. Where do you attach the included velcro strap? Is this designed for carrying the bike or only for securing wheels?

Also, what kind of lock do you suggest and where would you secure it to the bike?

Thanks for any advice.
Old 03-16-05, 02:57 AM
ruchai

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
The velcro strap is for holding the Halfway in folding position. You wrap the lowest part of the stem to the front of the rack. It's shown in the English manual.

I do not think you realy need the bag. The one-speed Halfway does not have the deraileur so there is nothing to break.
Old 03-16-05, 06:51 AM
LittlePixel
Raleigh20 PugFixie, Merc

Bikes: 1982 Raleigh Twenty Hotrod Fixie; 1984 Peugeot Premier Fixie, 2007 Merc Lightweight folder

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
So can anyone elaborate on the lovely looking 20" 406 Bontrager rims on that Trek Folder on page one of this thread? Where would one find them? Not listed on the Bontrager site it would seem.

I'd love one of those on my front of my Twenty, which currently sports very bottom-of-the-range diamondback BMX rims that look cool enough in black but arent exactly the best rims in the world...
Old 03-22-05, 04:31 AM
denise

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I brought a brand new half way yesterday for £175.oo from a lady who had it as a unwanted present a bargain.. however it does not come with a bag and intend to take mine everywhere so have to buy a new bag.. also there is no instructiuon booklet.
Does anyone have a instruction book.. do i really need one ?
Mine is a silver 2005 model with six speed gears.
It is a good ride. My other bike is a trek mountain bike.
I intend to take this on London tubes and buses and as it takes no time at all to fold it is just what i need.
I have one dilema . i dont like rucksacks and have to attach a handle bar pannier.. is that going to make the steering difficult?
Old 03-23-05, 01:52 PM
bigbenaugust 
always rides with luggage

Bikes: 2007 Trek SU100, 2009 Fantom CX, 2012 Fantom Cross Uno, Bakfiets

Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
As soon as I get done with the "Speed P8 vs. Halfway" debate, then I'll buy.
Previously: 2000 Trek 4500 (2000-2003), 2003 Novara Randonee (2003-2006), 2003 Giant Rainier (2003-2008), 2005 Xootr Swift (2005-2007), 2007 Nashbar 1x9 (2007-2011), 2011 Windsor Shetland (2011-2014), 2008 Citizen Folder (2015)
Non-Bike hardware: MX Linux / BunsenLabs Linux / Raspbian / Mac OS 10.6 / Android 7
Old 03-23-05, 11:09 PM
dannyg1 

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Paired 20", 20 spoke wheels are available from www.velocitywheels.com look in the drop menu, under 'recumbent' wheels. The set you'll want will probably be the Uriels. In order to be sure you're ordering the right size, look to your current tire set as a guide. 20 x 1 1/8 (or other English fractional sizes) denote 451mm wheel size, whereas metric 20 x 1.5 style demarcations are 406mm wheels. Dahon Rolf and the-name-of-the-newer-set escapes me wheels will not fit most bicycles as they're axle flange size is for their propietary fork with a 74mm over the locknut dimension, in place of the more standard 100mm.

That said, Dahon Rolf wheels can be found at www.bikepartsusa.com and www.ahoycaptain.com (look under Dahon parts).
Old 03-23-05, 11:18 PM
ruchai

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by denise
I brought a brand new half way yesterday for £175.oo from a lady who had it as a unwanted present a bargain.. however it does not come with a bag and intend to take mine everywhere so have to buy a new bag.. also there is no instructiuon booklet.
Does anyone have a instruction book.. do i really need one ?
Mine is a silver 2005 model with six speed gears.
It is a good ride. My other bike is a trek mountain bike.
I intend to take this on London tubes and buses and as it takes no time at all to fold it is just what i need.
I have one dilema . i dont like rucksacks and have to attach a handle bar pannier.. is that going to make the steering difficult?
If you can fold it then you probably do not need the manual.
I think the 6 speed is the 2004 model. The 2005 model have 7 speed.
Old 04-26-05, 05:21 AM
cdale56

Bikes: Lemond, Cannondale

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks to all for this thread, Great information.

I am taking a few trips this year and saw the need for a folding bike.

I was watching E-bay and calling dealers for bikes unseen, and thought that the Halfway was too expensive, but I got a great deal yesterday at my LBS which happens to sell Giants.

BTW ruchai, great pictures. Cool to see where others ride.
Old 05-04-05, 02:27 PM
jabowker

Bikes: Old Schwinn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rafael Guerra
Now for the peddals....any folding pedals that are decent out there?
You might try checking out the Bike Friday accessories cataloge at https://www.bikefriday.com/DocumentLi...es_cat_web.pdf

They list a couple of different folding pedals.
Old 05-08-05, 01:46 PM
dannyg1 

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I'm looking for a few Giant Halfway owners to answer the questions on the ' Hitchikers guide to the folding bicycle' thread on this board. I'm trying to get a well rounded set of various brand owners to give the reasoning behind the hows/whys of ending up at their current bike choice. I think this will make great critical reading for newbies planning on purchasing a folding bike purchase.

Thanks,
DG1
Old 05-14-05, 06:42 AM
Fredo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello,

I just have bought a Halfway 2005 (although the user guide says it is a 2002 model), 7 speeds. I'm very impressed and happy with it. I'll use it to go to work and also for recreative activities ( there are alot of cycling pathway here in Ottawa). I pass easily other bigger bikes out there (although not racing one .

Your comments on this bike were very usefull to help me making my choice. I appreciate that.

Thanks and happy riding

Fredo
Old 06-20-05, 09:38 AM
Shilun

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've just purchased a Halfway, identical to the one in your picture except in an orangy-yellow color. I picked it up here in Taiwan for about US$400, but of course I don't know if it has the same specs as yours. One thing I'm curious about is the fold size. On the suspension model the two wheels naturally cannot get as close as on the mono frame model. However, I feel that the rear spindle (is that the right word?) is unecessarily long. It seems to me that if it were shorter or the design was just slightly different, the two wheels could come at least an inch closer. I know it doesn't sound much, but for carrying and storing purposes it would make quite a difference. Incidentally, I notice that the velcro strap supplied to me is on the short side and it's not easy to get a tight fit around the front and rear forks. It's almost as if it's expected that the wheels should get closer together! How do you use yours?

Shilun

P.S. Have you tried taking the bike on trains or buses yet?
Old 06-21-05, 07:02 AM
Shilun

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry! I'm new to this newsgroup stuff. I realize my message doesn't make much sense posted where it is. Actually I was attempting to post a follow-up to Message #8 by Rafael Guerra.

Anyway, here is another question for everyone. Do all Halfway handlebars fold in a south-easterly direction? Has anyone tried reversing the wheel and folding in a north-westerly direction. It seems that this would fold the handlebars down between the wheels. On bikes with rear suspension this might be a neater fit.

Shilun
Old 09-04-05, 11:23 PM
jendlo

Bikes: Cannondale hybrid, Giant halfway folder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is my first posting, bear with me...just wanted to add my 2 cents on the Giant Halfway (couldn't find the "hitchikers guide). I think it is a great bike, for one with small wheels. It folds & unfolds VERY quickly, which is one of the main reasons for my purchase, along with lighter weight of aluminum & dual foldiing pedals.

Folding: probably under 30 seconds. One screw-down clamp at the handlebars, one-click mechanism for the frame, raise the seat with quick-release clamp, and I especially liked that both pedals would fold up, push in & fold up. The front fork is cantilevered...fork only on one side, so it folds up pretty flat & isn't too heavy to pick up, but I wouldn't want to carry it very far.

Shifting & speed: Mine has 7 gear twist shift and is pretty comfortable to ride at a leisurely pace, if you want speed, I think you'll have to have bigger wheels. The rack and fenders look nice, but are quite rattly on my rough pavement neighborhood. The steering I'm finding is quite sensitive.

I bought this bike to use as short distance transportation when flying small airplanes (piper cub cruiser, cessna 172) It fits in the back seat of the cub perfectly, the carrying bag is useful, but not padded, which I think would be nice for the carryee when trying to carry it.

anyway I hope this helps anyone considering the purchase.
Old 09-06-05, 10:35 PM
14R 
Bromptonaut

Bikes: 1994 Diamond Back Racing Prevail ti; Miyata 914, Miyata 1000, 2017 Van Nicholas Chinook

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Sorry for the Delay. Let me try to asnwer your questions Shilun:

All GIant Halfway that I own and see have the handlebars folding S.E. (Nice and intelligent way to describe it, I couldn't find a better way). One of the advantages is that , once folded, people cannot mess around with the bike (actually, the seat can't go up either, so it is a very protective system);

About the folding size: Honestly, besides the fact that it does not look that neat, the extra volume on the rear suspension model is a luxury that you should consider. I have both hard tail and rear suspension and the difference when riding the rear suspension one is as if the bike received a $800.00 upgrade.

In one way or another, I am still looking for something better for me than my Halfway and I can't find (maybe the trek 600 or something...)

Rafael
Old 09-07-05, 02:00 AM
Shilun

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Rafael,

I picked up (as in lifted, not bought!) a trek 600 a couple of days and it felt considerably lighter than the Halfway. It also had an extra gear. However, I thought it looked rather staid compared to the Halfway. Right now, if money was no object I would opt for the Gobike, although they're not easy to find.

BTW, what is it exactly that you don't like about the Halfway?

Shilun
Old 09-07-05, 09:29 PM
af895

Bikes: 2003 KHS F20-Westwood folding & enough parts to make several more bikes...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fredo
Hello,

I just have bought a Halfway 2005 (although the user guide says it is a 2002 model), 7 speeds. I'm very impressed and happy with it. I'll use it to go to work and also for recreative activities ( there are alot of cycling pathway here in Ottawa). I pass easily other bigger bikes out there (although not racing one .

Your comments on this bike were very usefull to help me making my choice. I appreciate that.

Thanks and happy riding

Fredo

Hey Fredo! Lemme guess: "Fresh Air Experience?" If so, I test rode your bike before it was your bike.
Nice ride. Looking for a ride partner? I'm on a KHS folder...and I'm outta shape so I'm slow.
Old 09-08-05, 06:58 AM
14R 
Bromptonaut

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Shilun,

The only thing I don't like about the halfway is the fact that due to the single sided front fork, your customizing cababilities get a little compromised. You can't just find a nice set of wheels and replace them. Besides that, there is another negative point: When folded, the halfway is not the most ergonomic thing to carry. It's kinda bulky and with no proper parts to hold. But for my personal use, this is not an issue, so the ONLY thing for me is that I can't play the "japonese kid" and customize my bike as I want.

8 out 0f 10 in my opinion.

Rafael
Old 10-08-05, 10:47 PM
14R 
Bromptonaut

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
"I've just purchased a Halfway, identical to the one in your picture except in an orangy-yellow color".

You were talking to me!!! It's another Halfway RS, and I thought you were talking about Ruchai's hardtail Halfway.

Cool. I am so excited with the possibilities of making my great bike greater that I already made plans to take it down to south america with my girlfriend. Right now all we do is study ( she is finishing her masters and I am starting mine) and excercise, but This december I will bring pictures of our Halfways that will make all of you happy to own a folder.

Rafael
Old 10-13-05, 12:22 PM
halfway1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi my name is Greg. I recently bought a halfway 7 speed...very cool bike. Unfortunately it has rained here in NYC ever since I bought it, so I only had the chance to take it out 1 time. I was just wondering if anyone know of a good carrying bag (with shoulder straps) and/or case for this bike. It came with a bag, but it seems as if the bag makes the bike seem more bulky than it is. It seems like carrying it without the bag is more convenient. Please let me know. Thanks.
Old 10-15-05, 12:16 AM
14R 
Bromptonaut

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Halfway1,

If you find a good soft case for your halfway, please share with us. I am planning an international trip with my girfriend (and 2 halfways), and we do have the hard luggage needed for that. However, there are several short trips we have in mind (including some islands while overseas and Key West here in Florida) that a hard luggage is not viable but we must have the bike covered to be able to board the boats.

I am not really sure what to say except that there is a 2006 Dahon catalog (PDF file in German that the link doesn't work anymore but we all had a chance to see) with a nice, solid thick nylon bag for 20" that (so far) is the only thing I would consider.

The bag that comes with the Halfway is far from a convenience, I have to agree. On the other hand, I haven't seen anything much better out there. Maybe other members will get back to us about a decent carrying bag. So far, I still haven't found what I am looking for as a soft bag.

Rafael Guerra

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.