Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Strava - good or bad for cycling?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Strava - good or bad for cycling?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-13, 09:16 AM
RT
The Weird Beard

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by hhnngg1
Garmin profits >>> Strava or any other sports software platform out there right now

I think TrainerRoad is where someone came up with a very simple, but elegant software solution, and is now raking in very good profits for something that a good programmer could probably write in under 3 weeks. Still, I don't begrudge them the profits - it's good stuff. I do think, however, they'll have some competition very soon (already with Peripedal) so they'll have to keep raising their game to stay in the hunt after a year or two.
The 41 = Free R&D for Strava.

I think we agree that the hardware is becoming more open source and that the platform is where it is at. TrainerRoad looks good for indoor trainers, but am I missing something here with Garmin? Why try to sell soon to be antiquated hardware when developing the software for the millions of people who have mobile devices would be vastly more profitable. Sure, you charge less for it, but the sheer volume of subscribers (I surmise) would quickly overtake all of the Android and iOS apps out there based on name alone.

I know if Garmin came out with a well-developed app for Android, I'd drop whatever I was using to use Garmin. And this wouldn't even preclude Garmin from trying to sell their already familiar hardware.

Last edited by RT; 01-07-13 at 09:22 AM.
Old 01-07-13, 09:44 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
Originally Posted by RTDub
Why try to sell soon to be antiquated hardware when developing the software for the millions of people who have mobile devices would be vastly more profitable.
I'm not sure why it would be more profitable. Because of Google's willingness to publish APIs, mapping information is commoditized. Given the pervasivness of the data, there's no way to easily monetize a software-based solution like Strava without charging for it or integrating ads. Also, Google could kill all Strava-type platforms today by introducing a "Strava layer" into Google Maps and integrated social features in Google Plus. This would probably take about half an hour worth of coding for Google's engineers. Or they could simply buy Strava for the price of what they find under the couch cushions in an average Google office and integrate that.

Conversely, there are still bucks to be made in hardware. Given how cheap GPS chips and displays are these days, I'll bet the margins on a Garmin 500 or 800 are very healthy. Personally, I don't understand why anyone would buy a top-end Garmin these days if you already have a smartphone.
Old 01-07-13, 09:53 AM
RT
The Weird Beard

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiro11
I'm not sure why it would be more profitable. Because of Google's willingness to publish APIs, mapping information is commoditized. Given the pervasivness of the data, there's no way to easily monetize a software-based solution like Strava without charging for it or integrating ads. Also, Google could kill all Strava-type platforms today by introducing a "Strava layer" into Google Maps and integrated social features in Google Plus. This would probably take about half an hour worth of coding for Google's engineers. Or they could simply buy Strava for the price of what they find under the couch cushions in an average Google office and integrate that.

Conversely, there are still bucks to be made in hardware. Given how cheap GPS chips and displays are these days, I'll bet the margins on a Garmin 500 or 800 are very healthy.
Personally, I don't understand why anyone would buy a top-end Garmin these days if you already have a smartphone.
That right there summarizes my sentiment. Even the 500 is $350, and that's $350 less I would have to spend on more pressing 'needs'.
Old 01-07-13, 10:11 AM
Cowboy905
total Newbie

Bikes: 2009 Look 566 Ultegra

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts

Conversely, there are still bucks to be made in hardware. Given how cheap GPS chips and displays are these days, I'll bet the margins on a Garmin 500 or 800 are very healthy. Personally, I don't understand why anyone would buy a top-end Garmin these days if you already have a smartphone.
i prefer to have a standalone garmin unit as i'd rather not deplete my smartphone battery. Also, i'd rather not burn through my data either as my data cap is pretty low while my phone is a data hog.
Old 01-07-13, 10:26 AM
Biscayne05

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
- tells me the good riding "spots" in my area
- motivation
Old 01-07-13, 10:48 AM
pallen
Descends like a rock

Bikes: Scott Foil, Surly Pacer

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
Why try to sell soon to be antiquated hardware when developing the software for the millions of people who have mobile devices would be vastly more profitable. Sure, you charge less for it, but the sheer volume of subscribers (I surmise) would quickly overtake all of the Android and iOS apps out there based on name alone.
Because I don't know of a phone that can stay with the screen on and data displayed for 12 hours on a charge.
Old 01-07-13, 10:54 AM
pallen
Descends like a rock

And yes, I think Strava is a good thing. I like being able to get a general idea as to how I compare to other riders on certain segments. I like seeing how I compare to myself on commutes. Its fun to ride an event and then go back and see how others did on a certain hill or stretch of nasty headwind. Its entertaining and motivating.

You just cant get to serious about the data from others - and you have to be able to just ignore the other people who take it way to seriously and not let them ruin it.
Old 01-07-13, 10:57 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
...and just wait until Garmin finally realizes that hardware is not where its at, it's the software platform and the aggregation/presentation of data. Soon, one company will have it all. I believe Strava's days are numbered, as in they will be absorbed by another company. I really don't know what Garmin is waiting for.
They figured that out long ago. Garmin is a software company that sells hardware that provides a captive platform for their proprietary software and mapping content. That's how they achieve high (~50%) margins.
Old 01-07-13, 11:33 AM
RT
The Weird Beard

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by pallen
Because I don't know of a phone that can stay with the screen on and data displayed for 12 hours on a charge.
If yer watchin' yer screen the whole time, how do you see the road? My battery lasts a century (miles, not time ) with more than 60% left. Audio readouts at mile markers are all I need. It is the post-ride data that interests me.
Old 01-07-13, 11:53 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Audio readouts at mile markers are all I need.

Other people want speed, HR zones, power, etc.
Old 01-07-13, 11:54 AM
RT
The Weird Beard

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Other people want speed, HR zones, power, etc.
These are all included in my readouts. Just sayin' it's all there if you want it, but if you need to SEE it, then I guess Garmin has you by the brass.
Old 01-07-13, 12:11 PM
laserfj
Reasonably Slow...

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Beaker
I've been a Strava fan for a while, but more as a great way to log and mine data. Today's ride was an excellent case in point. I did a 6mile climb that I last did in late November early in my base period. A fellow BF member has divided this climb into 6 segments. Neither climb was blazingly fast as I was trying to ride within myself each time. From looking at segment times, HR and my power meter data, I could see that my base work was paying off as each segment time was a bit faster, at a lower HR and with higher power (i.e. better efficiency). Also looking across segments I could see that I was maintaining my power much more steadily over the climb compared to the last ride in November. Yes, that info could be obtained in other ways, but having the segments auto created for me makes it so much easier.
+1
Old 01-07-13, 12:16 PM
Jobiensis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Strava is good, nice way to keep track of your progress. Segments have been pretty useful for me to make sure I'm still improving. Also a good way to find new places to climb.

My phone would be on it's last legs with my long rides. Usually the phone has to be turned off, because roaming alone sucks the battery dry (much less running the GPS).
Old 01-07-13, 12:33 PM
marqueemoon
or tarckeemoon, depending

Bikes: Davidson Impulse, Merckx Titanium AX, Bruce Gordon Rock & Road, Cross Check custom build, On-One Il Pomino, Shawver Cycles cross, Zion 737, Mercian Vincitore, Brompton S1L, Charge Juicer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It is what you make it. It's not serious business for me, but it can be fun/useful.
Old 01-07-13, 01:04 PM
pallen
Descends like a rock

If yer watchin' yer screen the whole time, how do you see the road? My battery lasts a century (miles, not time ) with more than 60% left. Audio readouts at mile markers are all I need. It is the post-ride data that interests me.
I dont have to watch it the whole time to want the info to be there when I look down without having to fidget with something, unlock the screen, etc...
I also use the Garmin to keep me on track on long rides when I've pre-planned the route ahead. That little beep and arrow have saved me from wrong turns a time or two.

I can see using a phone for logging purposes, but if you want it for navigation and live stats, speedometer, odometer and such, a phone will only do for shorter rides. That's where Garmin hardware as an accessory to your phone fits in. It has longer battery life, can display a lot of info live for the duration of the ride, and is a smaller, neater, waterproof package to mount on the handlebars than a phone.
Old 01-07-13, 01:11 PM
Sean T

Bikes: Giant TCR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Half an hour? Wow. I'm pretty sure it took the strava guys quite a bit longer than that. And while I'm sure google has some smart people I don't think they could replicate what strava has done in 30 man minutes.

Sean

Old 01-07-13, 01:48 PM
X-LinkedRider
Flying Under the Radar

Bikes: 10' SuperiorLite SL Club | 06' Giant FCR3 | 2010 GT Avalanche 3.0 Disc

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sean T
Half an hour? Wow. I'm pretty sure it took the strava guys quite a bit longer than that. And while I'm sure google has some smart people I don't think they could replicate what strava has done in 30 man minutes.

Sean
+1,
Clearly Hiro, is somebody that knows just enough to think he knows enough. There is A LOT of data coming off of a garmin unit or whatever you are using for strava.. There is a reason, that Strava has a career opportunity website. if he could do it in 30 minutes, they would have hired him a long time ago.
Old 01-07-13, 05:06 PM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
Originally Posted by X-LinkedRider
+1,
Clearly Hiro, is somebody that knows just enough to think he knows enough. There is A LOT of data coming off of a garmin unit or whatever you are using for strava.. There is a reason, that Strava has a career opportunity website. if he could do it in 30 minutes, they would have hired him a long time ago.
I was speaking rhetorically. Regardless, the point remains: Google could easily kill this entire category of apps if they built the functionality into Google Plus using Maps data. Doing so would be pretty easy for a company as large and rich as Google.
Old 01-07-13, 05:21 PM
SinglerM

Bikes: CAAD 10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I enjoy Strava a lot. It's nice to track my weekly and monthly time and distance.
I also like the challenges. I just finished the Rapha Festive 500, it gave me a fun reason to ride during the Christmas holiday.

It kind of a novelty to see how I do on the segments post ride, but that is not the biggest attraction for me. Being in Japan, seeing the different routes around me is nice and has helped me explore new (to me) riding routes.

Because of finding these new routes, it has led to many of my rides getting longer than before. :-)

-Mitch
Old 01-07-13, 05:38 PM
roadCruiser76

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Expert Disc, Orbea Aletta, Fuji Transonic,Specialized Sequoia

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 3 Posts
Excellent commentary from everyone. I'm glad that most people agree Strava is a fun tool and not detrimental to the sport.

Just to comment on a few things - about dedicated hardware versus using a phone - to me having the dedicated device wins hands down. Who wants to have some large smartphone hanging off their handlebars like a sail? The Garmin Edge is a small, sleek device that mounts and unmounts easily and has battery life that outlasts any smartphones. Also, if you want to read your heart rate or power data on a smart phone, I believe you need a special dongle or something. I also heard the GPS receiver on a device like a Garmin Edge is more accurate than the one on your phone, but I don't know this for sure.

As far as whether the Strava software is sophisticated, some of it actually is. For example I was reading on their blog about their segment matching algorithm. I was intrigued because on some of my segments which are large loops, it was falsely matching other people's rides which were different but which started and ended in the same place and had some common sections. It is actually a fairly difficult problem - matching a segment to someone's ride. There are several reasons for this. For one, GPS has an error factor so you can't exactly align one point on another. Also, GPS bike computers sample every few seconds so the points sampled on one device may not match the points that were sampled on the original segment. So some interpolation would need to be done to connect the points linearly and to do some comparisons there. Finally there is the issue of performance. They want it to work fairly fast so they don't want to compare every point on every route to every point along the segment. I believe their algorithm compares the start and end points and some percentage (I forget what it is) of the points in between. For segments that start and end in the same place the comparison is less accurate.

This is a fascinating post: https://strava.zendesk.com/entries/2...atching-issues
Old 01-07-13, 07:05 PM
fstshrk

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I use runkeeper. I tried strava, but KOM just does not motivate me, in fact I think it takes the joy out of cycling.
Old 01-07-13, 07:58 PM
thisisbenji

Bikes: Motobecane Vent Noir, Specialized Crux, Specialized Carve

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I love Strava.

It's very simple to use.

I mostly use the Strava website, I don't run it on my iPhone (Unless my Garmin battery dies).

It allows uploading of Garmin data.

The KoMs are fun (yes I race, it's interesting to look at segment data from races), yet wind is a major factor in getting a KoM making them nothing more than a novelty.

The main draw for me though is the social aspect, it motivates me to ride knowing that all of my friends see when I don't.
Old 01-07-13, 08:30 PM
RT
The Weird Beard

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by roadCruiser76
Excellent commentary from everyone. I'm glad that most people agree Strava is a fun tool and not detrimental to the sport.

Just to comment on a few things - about dedicated hardware versus using a phone - to me having the dedicated device wins hands down. Who wants to have some large smartphone hanging off their handlebars like a sail? The Garmin Edge is a small, sleek device that mounts and unmounts easily and has battery life that outlasts any smartphones. Also, if you want to read your heart rate or power data on a smart phone, I believe you need a special dongle or something. I also heard the GPS receiver on a device like a Garmin Edge is more accurate than the one on your phone, but I don't know this for sure.

As far as whether the Strava software is sophisticated, some of it actually is. For example I was reading on their blog about their segment matching algorithm. I was intrigued because on some of my segments which are large loops, it was falsely matching other people's rides which were different but which started and ended in the same place and had some common sections. It is actually a fairly difficult problem - matching a segment to someone's ride. There are several reasons for this. For one, GPS has an error factor so you can't exactly align one point on another. Also, GPS bike computers sample every few seconds so the points sampled on one device may not match the points that were sampled on the original segment. So some interpolation would need to be done to connect the points linearly and to do some comparisons there. Finally there is the issue of performance. They want it to work fairly fast so they don't want to compare every point on every route to every point along the segment. I believe their algorithm compares the start and end points and some percentage (I forget what it is) of the points in between. For segments that start and end in the same place the comparison is less accurate.

This is a fascinating post: https://strava.zendesk.com/entries/2...atching-issues
The Edge 800 is only 1 linear inch smaller, and less than one ounce lighter than my Samsung Galaxy Stellar. I really don't think you are making the right comparison here. A sail?

Some folks like the hardware. I used mine for a while and decided that that teeny little screen did me no good as it scrolled through three screens worth of information. While I'm riding, more than one screen and I may as well just stay home and post in this forum. If you're talking about out on the ride, then Garmin has a loyal user base. If you're talking about post-ride data, Garmin is at the low end of that curve.

Strava can be useful, but I have actually stopped riding with people because all they care about are segments and times. Riding with those types is no fun at all.
Old 01-07-13, 08:42 PM
thisisbenji

Bikes: Motobecane Vent Noir, Specialized Crux, Specialized Carve

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The edge 500 is the way to go, I carry my iPhone incase I get lost. While I do have an iPhone mount for the bars I only use it on the trainer.
Old 01-07-13, 09:19 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Cowboy905
I love Strava. Because of strava i latch on to the back of pickup trucks when i see a segment is coming up. I also remove my helmet to improve aerodynamics.
I just get in the car and drive. Easy.

And no, I don't. I don't use Strava.

But I bet there are people who are on Strava that do drive instead of riding and post their info.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.