Search
Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

2013 - Long Distance Cycling Goals

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-13, 06:12 PM
antimonysarah

Bikes: Nishiki Bel-Air, Brompton P6L, Seven Resolute SLX, Co-motion Divide, Xtracycle RFA

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 33 Posts
I'm just getting re-started (long story, 'nuff said) riding more than short jaunts, so:
A metric century each month.
Finish the local 100K under the time limit.
At least two centuries. (Never actually done one, but if I can do the hilly 100K, I can do a century with less climbing.)
At least one 200K ride, although it is unlikely to be a formal one, since I'll be out of town the weekend of the local 200K, plus I don't think I'll be fast enough by the end of the spring brevet season.
Get fast enough to find a C ride I can do, and then do that for speed work, so that I can ride longer rides next year without racing against the cutoff.

And one I did yesterday in the middle of my January metric: get up the steepest hill on the local 100K course on wheels instead of feet, with my current gearing.
Old 01-14-13, 09:35 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,686 Times in 2,509 Posts
SR series, R12, Crush the Commonwealth, Endless Mountains. Wouldn't mind getting in a second 1200k, but that probably isn't realistic
Old 01-14-13, 10:38 PM
noteon 
Drops small screws

Bikes: Soma Grand Randonneur, modified Xootr Swift, Trek 1000SL with broken brifter from running it into a hotel porte-cochère

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
About to do ride #7 of an R-12, so finishing another five is my main goal. I haven't decided whether to attempt an SR series yet--my last (and only) was in 2010.
RIDE: Short fiction about bicycles • RUSA #5538
Old 01-15-13, 01:53 AM
youcoming

Bikes: ParleeZ5/Parlee Chebacco/Trek Farley/Cannondale Slice/Burley Tandem

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Nothing as big as some here but I plan on a triple century and to complete 12 centuries over the year.
Old 01-16-13, 11:14 AM
amit_shah25 
Drunken Master

Bikes: Jamis Ranger 1.0 (Mutilated !!), Trek Portland

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So the long distance cycling bug is getting to me .. Although, due to some circumstances in my life, I am not too sure if I will be able to achieve all of those goals .. But here they are -

1. Keep up atleast a century a month for entire year. Ideally, 2 a month.
2. Do a 200K, 300K and a 400K
3. The 1200K events that are held all over the country are a VERY VERY attractive way to travel the country, but I am pretty sure I don't have it in me to finish those. Will be glad if I can go thru a 400K. And then will see where to go from there !
Old 01-18-13, 06:27 AM
turtletwins2002
Commuter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SR series.
Old 01-18-13, 07:13 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by amit_shah25
3. The 1200K events that are held all over the country are a VERY VERY attractive way to travel the country
They are held all over the world ... and area a VERY VERY attractive way to travel the world.
Old 01-18-13, 11:01 AM
k7baixo

Bikes: Bacchetta CA2.0

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by k7baixo
My schedule although I'll likely skip the 600...this assumes my cardiologist has no restrictions on my Jan 8th appt.

Sunday, Jan 13, 2013. A local club century ride.
Good news - the doctor gave me a clean bill of health and encouraged me to keep doing exactly what I'm doing with maybe a tad of moderation i.e. keep my heart rate below 175. He said that the "220 less age" formula was a good guide and for me, that's 165.

With that, I rode the first century of the year. I'm not in shape haven't ridden very, very little since early Dec but overall, I was pleased. Total time was 6:23 and the moving time was 5:15.

I was surprised at the stopped time total. We didn't stay in the rest stops very long and lunch was a quick exercise in shoveling in food. Then I remembered that I had a flat and stopped to help another (one-legged, one good-hand) rider who was having a tough time fixing his flat. (Next time you have your front wheel off, try to stand on one leg, balance and re-install it.) That easily cost me 30 minutes when I normally wouldn't have had any additional time.

In any case, I was happy with the effort.

The rider with one leg did a phenomenal job. We rode the first 70 miles together and were at or slightly above 20 mph the entire time except for traffic lights and turns. He faded a bit over the last 30 miles but I was very impressed with his strength and stamina.
Old 01-19-13, 01:23 PM
digitalmouse
the digitalmouse

Bikes: so many to list! https://photos.app.goo.gl/up7vTwjPAsc4UH32A

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Just joined a local Randonneuring club. I already do 1000+ rides every year on my recumbent trike, but at a leisurely pace of 100-150 km a day, 1000km per week for a two week vacation ride, carrying all my camping equipment with me. No stress riding.

My goals for 2013 is to build up the body to handle 200 and 400 km a day to prepare for more strenuous events like the Paris-Brest-Paris in 2015 (I think). Or even the upcoming EuroTour in July for velomobiles - those guys do 200-300 km a day easily.
Old 01-19-13, 03:40 PM
hodag

Bikes: Madone 5.2, Cannondale F400 & CAADX, Salsa El Mariachi 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well let's see here:
I'm registered for the Wisconsin Triple Crown again. This year could I please get top 10 of my age group?
This year also some unsupported long distance training rides with friends.
NEXT YEAR: The Horrible Hilly Hundreds, The Dairy Roubaix and a 200K Brevet.
Long term goal: Skyline Drive, south to north.

Good luck everybody, see you out there!
Old 01-19-13, 05:27 PM
LWaB

Bikes: Early Cannondale tandem, '99 S&S Frezoni Audax, '65 Moulton Stowaway, '52 Claud Butler, TSR30, Brompton

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
LEL, a 1000 BRM in Israel, a 1000 UAF in France and some shorter stuff including SR and a couple of UAF brevets. That should complete a few 'Boy Scout' badges including Aigle d'Or, 2nd Brevet 25000 (AUK) and another Randonneur 5000 (ACP).

Hopefully we'll be able to fit in some other stuff, possibly a Diagonale du France, Fleche de France or Raid Alpine (possibly the Pre-Alpine).
Old 01-20-13, 07:57 AM
Worped

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The main goal this year is to complete my first SR. If I can get through the 600 unscathed (I've got a chafing problem I'm trying to solve, which took me out of last year's 600), then I'll give a 1000km a try. Other than that, I'd love to hit 8000km for the year, but that's just a stretch goal.
Old 03-06-13, 11:15 PM
DGlenday

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Machka
Got any long distance cycling goals for 2013?

Maybe something in the Randonneuring world? A 24-hour race? The Century-A-Month? The RAAM?
The first 2:
- Get the SR (last year was my first ranod year, and I missed the SR - gotta do it this year)
- I've registered for the national 24 Hour Challenge.

Also - off the bike:
- Complete the biennial "Hike Across Maryland" again - 42 miles of the Appalachian Trail, hilly and rocky - this time, complete it in less than 12 hours.
- Climb Mt.Rainier and/or Mt.Shasta

Originally Posted by Homeyba
I'm going to be a crew chief for a two man RAAM team in June. I've raced it and officiated so the only thing left is to crew.
Cool - I'd like to follow your progress, and hope you'll post your experiences here (again). I will definitely be hanging out at Mt.Airy again, and may volunteer to help in Annapolis. Hope to meet you there...

Originally Posted by tchappel
...Also, complete the Masochistic Metric in the Garrett County Gran Fondo.
You're braver than me. A friend of mine did the double-metric in the Garrett County Gran Fondo and it nearly killed him. (Couldn't have been too bad, though, because he's doing it again this year...)

Last edited by DGlenday; 03-06-13 at 11:18 PM.
Old 03-07-13, 09:02 AM
ILClyde

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Main goal: figure out how the heck to do this rando thing! Yep, newbie. First one ever coming up later this spring. Hope to complete a 200, 300, 400. The 600 isn't going to work because of family vacation schedule (unless I can find someone running one later in the year). Oh, and I have to admit, the R12 thing has me intrigued. Is it possibly I'm already hooked before even riding my first official brevet?
Old 03-07-13, 05:28 PM
leaping_gnome

Bikes: 1975 Eisentraut Ltd, 1995 Trek 7000 MTB, 2007 Masi Vincere, 1974 Masi GC, 1981 Specialized Allez, 1984 Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I plan to ride

California Triple Crown 1000 mile club (5 double centuries)
SR #3
Gold Rush Randonee 1200k
Furnace Creek 508
commute to work every day

Life's good!
Old 03-08-13, 05:31 AM
zeljko

Bikes: Golden Dragon MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would like to do one 1000k ride, official or unofficial, doesn't matter.
And, of course, SR series.

And to inspire more cyclists... to join long distance club. :-)
Old 03-08-13, 06:37 AM
henkie327

Bikes: Metabikes Metaphrastic Rival

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Got any long distance cycling goals for 2013?

Maybe something in the Randonneuring world? A 24-hour race? The Century-A-Month? The RAAM?
I am an absolute newbie at long distances, so my goals will also be modest. I did 140 km's yesterday @26kph moving avg. Halfway I had a rest stop, but I'd rather eat and drink while on the move. Unfortunately that would require some special panniers which I don't have that are easily accessible while riding (I ride a recumbent bike for commuting since April 2012, but in my spare time I also like to use it for making small tours)

My goal is to do a 100 miles (161 km) ride at my own pace in 2013. After that I'll see if I can progress to biking longer distances. Can anybody tell me what a normal avg speed is for those longer distances and how long these rides usually take in total (100km, 200 km, 300km etc.)?
Old 03-08-13, 07:15 AM
skiffrun

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
... and stopped to help another (one-legged, one good-hand) rider who was having a tough time fixing his flat. (Next time you have your front wheel off, try to stand on one leg, balance and re-install it.) That easily cost me 30 minutes ....

"Paying it forward" is always better than posting a fast time.

Originally Posted by skiffrun
1. stay alive, unless or until the other is the better option,
2. have fun.

I've done pretty well keeping to those goals: currently R-29 & P-12 (also C-34 & M-46). SR in 2011 (life got in the way in 2012). 9200+ miles each of the last two years. 10K+ RUSA kms in 2012. No BIG rides planned (meaning nothing over 600k) & no tours expected in 2013.
Does this count as a goal? __ I'll probably volunteer at the Taste of Carolina 1200, Henderson "300k" control and possible sleep stop or maybe Emporia "400K" control and possible sleep stop. Henderson seems kind of early for a sleep stop, but Tony's preliminary map has a hotel icon there -- also a hotel icon at Emporia. Plenty of time to work that out.

While I'm at it, I'm now at R-32 (or I will be when Mike posts the results) and P-16 (intend to pick up the perm-pop on the 16th at RBA Alan's 70th birthday ride & party, which will be the March-P-ride & thus P-17). Also now C-37 & M-49.
Old 03-08-13, 07:39 AM
skiffrun

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ILClyde
... The 600 isn't going to work because of family vacation schedule (unless I can find someone running one later in the year). ...
You do know that you can look up all the scheduled ACP & RUSA brevets around the entire US on the RUSA website, yes?

Assuming you are somewhere in Illinois:

If none of those work, there are scattered ACP 600's up until the last two on Oct-12.
    Excluding the ones with most travel:

IF any of those pique your fancy, know that:
        Old 03-08-13, 06:33 PM
        ILClyde

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
        Originally Posted by skiffrun
        You do know that you can look up all the scheduled ACP & RUSA brevets around the entire US on the RUSA website, yes?

Assuming you are somewhere in Illinois:

If none of those work, there are scattered ACP 600's up until the last two on Oct-12.
          Excluding the ones with most travel:

IF any of those pique your fancy, know that:
              Yeah, I knew I could look it up, just hadn't gotten around to it yet. In the first group, the last three are out because I'm either on vacation or already doing (planning? hoping?) a 400. I hadn't gotten around to looking up that second set of events but . . . looks like I may be in Minnesota in September. Hmmm.

Thanks.
              Old 03-09-13, 11:34 AM
              turtletwins2002
              Commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
              Planning to do a 200, 300, 400 and 600k Super Randonneur Series among other rando rides.
              Old 05-13-13, 08:01 PM
              FXjohn

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
              Quoted: 2985 Post(s)
              Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
              I'm just planning on a real century.
              Old 05-13-13, 10:13 PM
              k7baixo

Bikes: Bacchetta CA2.0

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
              Except for the 600 which I skipped due to the time proximity to the 1200, I accomplished my 2013 goals with the completion of the Texas Rando Stampede 1200.

I'm not sure what 2014 will hold. I may do only a 400-km in order to earn a better registration slot for the 2015 PBP. Another thought is to do Ragbrai again. I enjoyed it last time - 60-70 miles a day is a breeze now and it'd be nice to not be nervous this time around. I rode Ragbrai in 2011 after starting to cycle again.

2015 - I guess I'll shoot for PBP although the Big Wild Ride has a certain allure to it.
              Old 05-14-13, 06:18 AM
              skiffrun

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
              Originally Posted by FXjohn
              I'm just planning on a real century.
              What is a real century?

Except for the 600 which I skipped due to the time proximity to the 1200, I accomplished my 2013 goals with the completion of the Texas Rando Stampede 1200.

I'm not sure what 2014 will hold. I may do only a 400-km in order to earn a better registration slot for the 2015 PBP. Another thought is to do Ragbrai again. I enjoyed it last time - 60-70 miles a day is a breeze now and it'd be nice to not be nervous this time around. I rode Ragbrai in 2011 after starting to cycle again.

2015 - I guess I'll shoot for PBP although the Big Wild Ride has a certain allure to it.
              There's no telling what process the ACP may come up for 2015 PBP registration. My guess (based on absolutely no information) is that whatever the ACP comes up with, the RUSA Board position will be the same as last time around: "just ride, you'll be fine."
              Old 05-14-13, 07:00 AM
              unterhausen
              Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
              Liked 3,686 Times in 2,509 Posts
              I would recommend everyone plan to do at least a 1000k next year. Not because of PBP pre-qualification so much as so their first grand randonnee is not PBP

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.