Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Taking folding bike on Amtrak

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-13, 04:31 PM
john426

Bikes: Diamondback Response, Greenzone Folder, Huffy and Free Spirit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a new folding bike and am planning a trip from Niagara falls to Montreal. I see on the Amtrak website that folding bikes are allowed as carry on luggage. Does the bike have to fold as small as allowed carry on luggage? A few years ago I took a trip to Montreal and the conductor was being difficult with the size of people's carry ons. My other choice is to use a "disposable" bike and ditch it in Montreal. John
Old 01-22-13, 04:41 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
According to their site:
"Folding bicycles under the dimensions of 34" x 15" x 48"/860 x 380 x 1120 mm will be allowed onboard all trains in lieu of a piece of baggage."

https://www.amtrak.com/servlet/Conten...=1241210575921

Note that those dimensions are pretty generous.
Old 01-22-13, 04:55 PM
noteon 
Drops small screws

Bikes: Soma Grand Randonneur, modified Xootr Swift, Trek 1000SL with broken brifter from running it into a hotel porte-cochère

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I'd also print out that regulation and take it with you.

And a bungee. Last time I did NY->Montreal with a folder (a few years ago), it came in handy for stabilizing the folded bike.
RIDE: Short fiction about bicycles • RUSA #5538
Old 01-22-13, 05:23 PM
BassNotBass
master of bottom licks

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by prathmann
According to their site:
"Folding bicycles under the dimensions of 34" x 15" x 48"/860 x 380 x 1120 mm will be allowed onboard all trains in lieu of a piece of baggage."

https://www.amtrak.com/servlet/Conten...=1241210575921

Note that those dimensions are pretty generous.
It's a smart move on Amtrak's part to allow a folding bike to substitute a piece of luggage. A folding bike that fits under those dimensions certainly weighs less than a comparably sized over-stuffed suitcase.
Old 01-22-13, 07:23 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1668 Post(s)
Liked 1,821 Times in 1,059 Posts
Walk on, stow the folders in the luggage bin, go find a seat.
Old 01-22-13, 07:33 PM
Ozonation

Bikes: Helix, Brompton, Rivendell, Salsa, and a Partridge in a Pear Tree

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
It might be worth having a fitted bag over it so it's not so obvious what it is. And just in case... what the conductor can't see can't be objected to...
Old 01-22-13, 08:05 PM
prathmann

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Ozonation
It might be worth having a fitted bag over it so it's not so obvious what it is. And just in case... what the conductor can't see can't be objected to...
Good to have a bag to cover the bike both for its protection and to protect other things it may contact. But note that Amtrak's normal carry-on luggage size limit is much more restrictive: 28 x 22 x 14 inches - so a fussy conductor could still object to a folding bike inside a bag just on the basis of its size. As mentioned above, it would be good to carry a copy of the official Amtrak policy on folding bikes just in case anyone raises concerns about the size.
Old 01-22-13, 10:18 PM
kraftwerk 
my nice bike is at home

Bikes: 2011 BMC Race Machine / 2012 BMC Road Machine / Trek 2300 / '90's Merlin/ '70's Raleigh 20/ Ti-'swift' folder / Erickson w/S&S couplers

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
you can put it in a huge laundry bag and carry it on.. If it is a one way trip the bag can be packed pretty small and mailed home. Bike? What bike?

Last edited by kraftwerk; 02-07-13 at 08:04 PM.
Old 01-23-13, 11:33 AM
smallwheeler

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
i love this couple:

https://pathlesspedaled.com/2011/01/v...le-for-amtrak/
Old 01-23-13, 11:34 AM
smallwheeler

Originally Posted by kraftwerk
you can put it in a huge laundry bag and carry it on.. If it a one way trip the bag can be packed pretty small and mailed home. Bike? What bike?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
whatbike.jpg (24.0 KB, 21 views)
Old 01-23-13, 02:45 PM
BassNotBass
master of bottom licks

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by smallwheeler

They're great, aren't they? I'd love to meet them on the road one of these days. (What I mean is that I'd like to meet them pedaling their bikes along the same stretch of road as I... not see them on the road like a flattened opossum).
Old 01-23-13, 05:30 PM
smallwheeler

(/-_-)/
Old 01-24-13, 12:12 AM
mr geeker
Day trip lover

Bikes: '16 Giant Escape 3 (fair weather ride), Giant Quasar (work in progress), 2002 saturn vue (crap weather ride)

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
as long as you dont have a 26" wheel folder than you should be able to take it on. 26" wheel folders are definitely outside the amtrak dimension limit. at least mine is anyway.
Old 01-24-13, 03:44 PM
john426

Bikes: Diamondback Response, Greenzone Folder, Huffy and Free Spirit

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey everybody: thanks for your helpful replies. I have a 20" wheel folder and it is smaller than the Amtrak dimensions. I will take a copy of the website rules in case if I get a fussy conductor.
Old 01-29-13, 08:45 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3460 Post(s)
Liked 1,466 Times in 1,144 Posts
Good to have a bag to cover the bike both for its protection and to protect other things it may contact. But note that Amtrak's normal carry-on luggage size limit is much more restrictive: 28 x 22 x 14 inches - so a fussy conductor could still object to a folding bike inside a bag just on the basis of its size. As mentioned above, it would be good to carry a copy of the official Amtrak policy on folding bikes just in case anyone raises concerns about the size.
Agree.

And if they object to the size of the bag, tell them that you put it in the bag to keep your greasy chain and dirty wheels from getting other traveler's stuff dirty. But, if they want you to take the bike out of the bag, you will happily comply.

Some extra velcro straps to hold things together may come in handy too.
Old 01-30-13, 08:46 AM
K6-III

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Just don't bring your folding bike on Acela, otherwise you're fine. (Acela has no room even for a foldie)

In the Pacific NW, the Amtrak Cascades trains even have bike hooks for full size bikes!
Old 02-07-13, 08:11 PM
kraftwerk 
my nice bike is at home

Bikes: 2011 BMC Race Machine / 2012 BMC Road Machine / Trek 2300 / '90's Merlin/ '70's Raleigh 20/ Ti-'swift' folder / Erickson w/S&S couplers

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Its too bad Amtrack is not up to speed* on the european model of roll on roll off with in train bike racks. Down side: It costs about 1/2 the price as the ticket sometimes. (there are ways around this..) It helps for parents with those huge jogger strollers too (for them there is no charge) If you have a folder you just fold it and put it in a luggage rack: no charge! But the roll on roll off is a great thing if you are a commuter and there is a sudden down-pour or if you just want your bike with you on the train.

* speed is really the wrong word here. For longer jaunts the TGV is often faster then taking a plane if you figure in the PITA of going to an airport.

Little factoid: The Acela was originally designed to go A LOT faster but because of a mix-up in calculations from the English to the Metric ( duh!) the rails were spaced too wide so the top speed is shaved off to keep the damn thing from flying off the rails. As a result its top speed is about one third the speed of Europe's fasted train. Sad.
Lastly, the NYC to Chicago train was FASTER 100 years ago than it is today and was more often on time!

Everybody: "Are we not men? We are DEVO! "

Last edited by kraftwerk; 02-07-13 at 08:17 PM.
Old 02-07-13, 08:54 PM
BassNotBass
master of bottom licks

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kraftwerk
... The Acela was originally designed to go A LOT faster but because of a mix-up in calculations from the English to the Metric ( duh!) the rails were spaced too wide ...
Seriously? I was under the impression that all tracks in the USA adhered to the Standard (Stephenson) gauge of 4' 8.5".
Old 02-07-13, 09:31 PM
prathmann

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by BassNotBass
Seriously? I was under the impression that all tracks in the USA adhered to the Standard (Stephenson) gauge of 4' 8.5".
Yes, all Amtrak trains run on standard gauge rails. There are speed limitations on the Acela trains that vary in different sections based on characteristics of the tracks (spacing between tracks, condition, other trains using them, etc.), but they are not related to the gauge, or spacing between rails. One exception to standard gauge in the US is the local subway/rail system in the San Francisco area - BART uses a gauge of 5' 6".
Old 02-15-13, 10:18 PM
jobtraklite

Bikes: too many

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been all over the country with my folding bike ever since I found out about the policy in 2008 - long distance, short distance, sleeping car, coach. I had been questioned by the conductor only once, and had gotten complacent and stopped carrying a copy of the policy. But I was questioned twice during a recent 8 train trip from Illinois to San Diego via Chicago and Portland and return via Santa Fe. In the first case, like the earlier one, once I mentioned the word folding, the conductor went about his business.

But in the second case as I was boarding the Southwest Chief in LA, the conductor said positively no bikes of any kind permitted. I just stood there smiling, not saying a word, knowing he was in a tight spot. He quickly relented and had me put it in the ski locker.

Incidentally, the wording of the policy was changed recently. Instead of the vague "aboard passenger cars' is the "on board all trains", which would include Acela. Gone are all the locations you can and can't store them. Unfortunately, folders now count as one of the two carry on baggage pieces. This isn't quite as bad as it sounds, since there are quite a few things, like large baby carriages and I suspect panniers, that don't count. Besides, the general rule is that if you can get on board without causing a commotion, you are good to go.

But as more and more people ride trains and they become more crowded (the old claim that nobody rides trains has become an old wives' tale), something may have to give.
Old 02-16-13, 08:37 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1668 Post(s)
Liked 1,821 Times in 1,059 Posts
One exception to standard gauge in the US is the local subway/rail system in the San Francisco area - BART uses a gauge of 5' 6".
interestingly enough, San Francisco's famous cable cars are 3' 6" (Cape gauge). Another rare standard gauge exception is the historic 3' gauge rail system in Colorado, a few sections of which are still operated for tourists.