Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What personal things have other cyclists done to you while cycling?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-13, 12:14 AM
bt
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

besides snot rockets
Old 03-06-13, 12:22 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Grabbed my ass and made lewd propositions.
Old 03-06-13, 12:38 AM
escarpment

Bikes: cannondale crit 3.0, specialized allez, old giant mtb/hybrid

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
^wow, hoping it was a female.

-aside from numerous MUP racing and angry glares. Once in a critical mass ride, on the lakeshore drive bike path in chicago. This guy on a bmx comes flying through the crowd, hits my front wheel, hits someone else, spills and takes a few people out, I got knocked hard and was clipped in but managed to stay upright. Durring this same ride, the mass had surrounded this one car and this woman was furious. It was pretty funny, kind of sad, at one point the woman started to kick bikers and everyone just raised their bikes above their heads and yelled. The pinnacle occurred when the mass rode onto Lakeshore drive itself which is a 50mph freeway and caused a dead halt to traffic. People were standing on cars and then about 10 cop cars came up and everybody ran away.
Old 03-06-13, 01:42 AM
WHOOOSSHHH...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Beside just blasting right by me?
Old 03-06-13, 05:35 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Well ....... one of them married me.
Old 03-06-13, 07:12 AM
thump55
I got 99 problems....

Location: Does anyone know where the love of God goes, when the waves turn the minutes to hours?
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Guys keep asking me if I want to go camping with them. If we stop at a tavern, they are always asking if they can push in my stool.
Old 03-06-13, 07:38 AM
Myosmith
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
Never anything intentionally bad. I've had a couple close calls on group rides when someone didn't hold their line or hit their brakes without warning. I can't complain too much I've made my share of mistakes too. Other than that it's been all positive with lots of encouragement and thumbs up. Occasionally some unsolicited advice rubbed me the wrong way but I never though it was meant to. Cyclists are generally a pretty good group. I don't ride on the A-rides which are more competitive and from what I understand can get a little dicey at times.
Old 03-06-13, 07:48 AM
AdelaaR

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Some have even waved at me.

I hate it when that happens.
Old 03-06-13, 07:59 AM
antimonysarah

Bikes: Nishiki Bel-Air, Brompton P6L, Seven Resolute SLX, Co-motion Divide, Xtracycle RFA

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 33 Posts
The only memorably bad experience: I pull up at a red light (with a crosswalk and a cavalcade of pedestrians crossing), in the dark, cars packed in with me. Another bike pulls up behind me, starts yelling at me to go. I point out that it's a red light, remain stopped. Dude starts swearing at me. I ignore him. Finally, he hops off, picks up his bike, walks around me on the sidewalk, puts his bike down in front of me, swears at me some more, and rides off through the red light, up a heavy-traffic one-way street the wrong way, no lights. About ten seconds later the light finally changes. Really, the part that got me was the aggressive swearing and screaming at me -- if there hadn't been, as previously noted, a boatload of people around us, I would have been seriously rattled rather than being mostly amused.
Old 03-06-13, 08:04 AM
mulveyr 

Bikes: Specialized Diverge, Box Dog Pelican, 1991 Cannondale tandem

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
Does it count that someone in a car screamed "Get off the road!" as they drove by with a Cervalo on the roof? I have to assume they were a cyclist. :-)
Old 03-06-13, 08:08 AM
cplager
The Recumbent Quant

Bikes: 2012 Cruzbike Sofrider, 2013 Cruzigami Mantis, 2016 Folding CruziTandem

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by machka
well ....... One of them married me.
ftw!
Old 03-06-13, 08:16 AM
AMFJ

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Myosmith
I don't ride on the A-rides which are more competitive and from what I understand can get a little dicey at times.
I moved to the A rides because they were WAY safer than the other rides.
Old 03-06-13, 08:33 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 226 Posts
Rude wheel suckers really bug me. I’ve had plenty of unpleasant experiences with that. Also pace lines (not one that I’m participating in) that try to push you out of the way. There have been innumerable near collisions with wrong way cyclist and stop sign/light runners. However, nothing that I’ve gotten into a shouting match over.
Old 03-06-13, 08:55 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
When I was struggling at the back of the pack on a steep hill, a beautiful woman put her hand on my lower, uh, back and gently pushed for about 100'. We're married to other people, though. Another pretty woman stopped and loaned me her pump when mine broke on a brevet. So many kindnesses, some strangers, some not. I've sucked many a wheel and bridged others back up in return, been encouraged by many people and encouraged others.

My gripe is idiots who don't think anyone can be faster than them and sit in the middle of the road on a group ride. But that's not personal, just dumb.
Old 03-06-13, 08:59 AM
roadwarrior

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, CAAD9, Giant cross bike.

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by mulveyr
Does it count that someone in a car screamed "Get off the road!" as they drove by with a Cervalo on the roof? I have to assume they were a cyclist. :-)
Not necessarily. Some buy Cervelos like they are furniture. Just to look at.
Old 03-06-13, 09:10 AM
klondike300
klondike300

Location: Looking for my lung on Green Mountain or flowing the trails at Port Gamble

Bikes: Cannondale(x3). Synapse, cyclocross and 29er Scalpel

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My biggest pet peeve is just the ones who can't ride in a straight line. Especially the weavers going up hills that don't seem to have a clue about other riders around them. Almost got taken out at the Chilly Hilly last weekend. Lady cut me thinking she could blast up a hill and blew her legs out 3/4 way up. Cut right in front of me which caused me to swerve and almost take out a faster rider. Then she proceeded to both yell at us like it was our fault.
Old 03-06-13, 09:11 AM
fettsvenska 

Bikes: 1978 Raleigh Competition-1974 Raleigh Folder-1983 Austro Daimler-198? Fuji Monterey-Surly LHT-Surly Karate Monkey-Surly Cross Check

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 54 Posts
I haven't really had a big problem with any road bikers but when I'm out mountain biking on the other hand, some in that crowd get pretty upset if you're in their way. I'm more of a pack mule than a race horse so I try to stay out of the way or pull off to the side to make way for faster riders as much as possible. Sometimes it is difficult to hear riders coming up behind and when you're riding single track it can be a little unsafe to take your eyes off the track and look behind you. I'm happy to move out of the way if a rider let's me know that they are behind me but a few times I've gotten the "get the F out of the way". Also, this is on a public singletrack at a public park reserve that is open to riders of all skill levels. For me that is the worst of it. However, a close friend of mine was riding just a couple of weeks ago and a rider came up beside him and reached out and grabbed is bars and caused him to wreck. His front brake rotor got snagged on something and completely tacoed.
Old 03-06-13, 09:20 AM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Riding on a MUP barely 8 feet wide, near the right side, when 2 riders riding side-by-side come the other way. Do they bother to get one behind the other as they pass me? Nooooo just keep on riding while I barely am able to keep it on the path.
Old 03-06-13, 09:35 AM
YOJiMBO20

Bikes: 2010 Litespeed Icon, 1987 Nishiki Olympic 12

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by roadwarrior
Not necessarily. Some buy Cervelos like they are furniture. Just to look at.
Especially the ones that buy Cervalos.
Old 03-06-13, 09:50 AM
jsharr
You Know!? For Kids!

Bikes: '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 20 Posts
This one time at bike camp, a guy waxed my chain for me. I finished faster after that.
Old 03-06-13, 10:17 AM
Jobiensis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I find it annoying when I pass someone and they take it as a personal affront, sprint to get ahead of me and then slow down. I'm just trying to keep my HR in a zone.

Originally Posted by mulveyr
They were probably trying to get a KOM on a Strava segment.

Last edited by Jobiensis; 03-06-13 at 10:20 AM.
Old 03-06-13, 10:43 AM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Jobiensis
They were probably trying to get a KOM on a Strava segment.
HAHAHAHAH I wouldn't doubt that, not one little bit.
Old 03-06-13, 10:46 AM
coasting 
Still can't climb

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jsharr
This one time at bike camp, a guy waxed my chain for me. I finished faster after that.
that is so kinky. you saucy devil.

No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack
Old 03-06-13, 11:39 AM
SnowJob
Dirt junkie.

Bikes: Surly Ice Cream Truck, Peacock Groove road bikem, Salsa Fargo

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I've had lots of nice interactions with fellow cyclists over the years.

After I finished mtbing at a local trail, I was up at the MUP off the trail pumping up my tires for the ride home (about 7 miles or so, so I didn't want to ride on like 30 psi), this roadie dude rolls up and offers to let me use a shot from his CO2 cartridge. That was super nice of him.

Also, last year I was on my cross bike cruising down the side of a rural road at something like 25 mph. I slowly became aware of an interesting sound, like a hollow drumming. I realized it sounded like a disc wheel. I turned around and sure enough there's a dude one a tri-bike with a disc wheel drafting me (hands on his brakes, not the tri-bars, thankfully). He gave me a weak smile, then passed and we traded off for about 20 minutes before splitting up in different directions. We didn't really share any conversation, just helped each other fly along for a while.

Also, about ten years ago on RAGBRAI, someone passed me the spleef.
Old 03-06-13, 11:51 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Someone gave me a spare tube.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.