Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Old 06-26-19, 11:52 AM
cmh

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Lol.

Anyway, was looking on Velonews and the headline was basically "with several major players out of the TdF, how will the race go without the competent contenders".

What's that supposed to mean? Anyone besides Froome, Dumoulin are incompetent schmucks?

Maybe I read the headline in the wrong American point of view or something.
Link to headline? Anyway, everyone is an incompetent schmuck until they prove otherwise with a TdF win, or a lot of strava segment top tens, or maybe they post a power file showing an FTP over 400, or at least a thousand posts in the 33.
Old 06-26-19, 11:59 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
On/Off topic - the UCI and USADA.

I think we need to have American cycling in the USA, yet at our top levels we adopt UCI/International rules.
I've harped on junior gears for years (affects males more).

Now - this week USA Pro women will compete. Thing is, IMO - the fastest female in the USA is not yet a "woman". She is 17. She may not race. Even though at 14 she won CA pro, won Dana Point GP $10K purse at 15. Won 17-18 last week. Podium a boys race in Europe this year.
So we have a protected class of women racing when another is excluded due only to age. It degrades the win. Whoever wins, can't say she's the fastest USA female. Just as sad as winning without drugs and nobody giving you credit as they think you doped.
This destroys the fan interest in the sport. Too many groups for me. I'll look to see who won, but I really don't care. USAC excluded the best.
Velonews did a profile on her too.
Old 06-26-19, 12:03 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by cmh
Link to headline? Anyway, everyone is an incompetent schmuck until they prove otherwise with a TdF win, or a lot of strava segment top tens, or maybe they post a power file showing an FTP over 400, or at least a thousand posts in the 33.
I got it wrong, I finally found it. It was "flawed contenders".

https://www.velonews.com/2019/06/com...-froome_495231
Old 06-26-19, 12:43 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
Velonews did a profile on her too.
Thank you. https://www.velonews.com/?s=Megan+JAstrab And they mention the gears.

"Those wins marked her 20th and 21st national titles."

She is quite smart and well parented, if you meet Mike and Lynn (named in the article) it is easier to understand her success. I think her brother has helped too.

I expect she won't be racing much in 2-3 more years because of the above and cycling is not a happy job. I was pushing her and parents hard to be a USAFA racer - she wanted nursing. Great to see kids and parents so balanced and focused at the same time.

-----------------------------

"...if the sprint is flat or downhill, she will usually spin out. ..."

And the arguments I got about a male junior vs male adults.
Old 06-26-19, 01:37 PM
cmh

I got it wrong, I finally found it. It was "flawed contenders".

https://www.velonews.com/2019/06/com...-froome_495231
Agreed, 'flawed contenders' is really harsh. I do look forward to the TdF this year.
Likes For cmh:
Old 06-27-19, 06:40 AM
kensuf
My idea of fun

Bikes: '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '02 Kona Lavadome, '07 Giant TCR Advanced, '07 Karate Monkey

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 36 Posts
https://www.outsideonline.com/239882...drome-research
Old 06-27-19, 03:13 PM
Doge

Ian just won the Pro TT 19 sec over Neilson. He was 1:32 behind at the 2nd check point. I don't know what happened to Brandon yet. At first I thought a mechanical at 3 min back at 2nd checkpoint, then finishing near 8 min back. One to Go Live Results

Ian and Brandon should have the worlds U23 spots. I have no idea how the pro spots are determined, or the Olympic ones.
Our WT riders were not there. TJ, Peter. Others were doing local crits. I'm not so sure TJ would have taken this, although still a good bet. Ian was fast.

I get quite nostalgic over seeing ~30% of the field having been juniors when I started posting here. There is very little question in my, or junior's mind he took the right path, but it still is hard to give up on.
Old 06-27-19, 03:46 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
I don't know if that means the is in decline as a cycling nation or we have an outstanding crop of youth talent. I'll go with the latter.

Locally we have so many Juniors coming up they've essentially rode the Masters out of the Tuesday Night Ride. I'm not sure if that popularity is just a local thing, or nationwide.
Old 06-27-19, 05:59 PM
Doge

Originally Posted by furiousferret
I don't know if that means the is in decline as a cycling nation or we have an outstanding crop of youth talent. I'll go with the latter.

Locally we have so many Juniors coming up they've essentially rode the Masters out of the Tuesday Night Ride. I'm not sure if that popularity is just a local thing, or nationwide.
LUX is in SoCal. They are trying to get on LUX. I think in SoCal racing is cool. Nationally, it is probably as cool as wrestling. But telling the class you are working from Europe during Spring is cool.
Online HS allows this in ways that could not be done before. Kids can Skype with teaches, interact and learn. But that drive the others to get there.

The juniors are better than ever. 2015 - best in the world. Looks like a 2019 repeat.
Ian was a 2015 junior, as was Brandon, Gage, 2018 Pro winner J Brown, top MTB Blevins and a few that are not in the ITT. When I posted 2014/2015 I thought they were faster than pros, it was because they were faster than pros. It is not surprising juniors are so fast. They can't do long races, or multi-day races which is what the WT pros do, but they are every bit as fast. I think faster.

As to their future, if they do not live in Europe, have family support and do what the European cyclist do (that too), it is unlikely they will do so well as time goes on.
It is easy to get fried, and going home to bed at parents house is quite an advantage for a 18-23 year old.

Fly from a ToS to do a USA ITT 4 days later has to not be fun, esp when you already qualified for worlds.
Old 06-27-19, 07:19 PM
furiousferret

Out here its Team California. Sean Wilson has some affiliation with them, and we have a bunch of people riding on their Junior team and his development team. There's also this MTB High School league our region does well in.
Old 06-27-19, 09:14 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
I don't understand how people do it. I'm not even that old yet (almost 31) and I can't keep up with the drinking and partying of people who are 40 and 50. Was at a conference for a couple days, I had about 3.5 "beers" (1 12 oz and 2 pints) over 4 hours or so, went back to my room at 9:30, and was feeling pretty buzzed and pretty exhausted.

The rest of them were at the bar until 1 AM. I just don't get it. It seems like everyone except my wife and I lives on caffeine and alcohol, and we don't drink either really ever (a six pack lasts me 2 months).
Old 06-28-19, 07:26 AM
mike868y

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
anyone here live/race in seattle?
Old 06-28-19, 07:36 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2605 Post(s)
Liked 3,118 Times in 1,643 Posts
^
how's grad school doing? You almost done/finished? Looking at industry jobs in Seattle?

Originally Posted by Flatballer
I don't understand how people do it. I'm not even that old yet (almost 31) and I can't keep up with the drinking and partying of people who are 40 and 50. Was at a conference for a couple days, I had about 3.5 "beers" (1 12 oz and 2 pints) over 4 hours or so, went back to my room at 9:30, and was feeling pretty buzzed and pretty exhausted.

The rest of them were at the bar until 1 AM. I just don't get it. It seems like everyone except my wife and I lives on caffeine and alcohol, and we don't drink either really ever (a six pack lasts me 2 months).
I would say those three beers is a solid amount to drink. Any more then that and I'd consider myself "going after it" and feel slow the next day. Which happens sometimes, but not all the time.

It probably will happen next weekend when my fiancee and I are doing a long wine-tasting weekend in Paso Robles . I've been getting into reds quite a bit over the last year or two as my drink of choice, and two of my favorite supermarket winemakers are there - Justin and Daou.
Old 06-28-19, 08:05 AM
furiousferret

Originally Posted by mike868y
I believe @mattm used to.
Old 06-28-19, 08:41 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8259 Post(s)
Liked 8,991 Times in 4,452 Posts

See if they would like to go for a ride with you.
Old 06-28-19, 09:10 AM
Doge

Training. Fitter you are the more it hurts. This is anecdotal / I have no facts to back me up, but seems to me the ones who are fittest get more light headed from alcohol.
Seems body composition may have something to do with it too. Higher body fat folks (of the same weight) are less affected by alcohol.

Why I responded is this was a recent discussion with junior who turns 21 early July and recent travel/sleep problems he had U23 ITT and what some had (mom posted about) in the pro ITT yesterday.
Primarily looking for sleep aids and stimulants that were mild and helpful for cycling and not flag a doping test. There are not many.
I think maybe alcohol used the day before, on the plane etc., morning caffeine might be a good pairing for travel events. Like most kids, @ 21 won't be his first drink, but I believe him when he says he is not that interested. The caffeine part was always used as a stimulant for a cycling events, still is, but he's not a recreational drinker of either. He hates my IPA's (also you tend not to like the bitter until older and the taste buds are getting worn out.).

Net: Alcohol, combined with caffeine may be a great combo for traveling cyclists.

Last edited by Doge; 06-28-19 at 09:14 AM.
Old 06-28-19, 09:22 AM
cmh

Originally Posted by mike868y
I live/race in Portland, about 3 hrs away. I've raced in Seattle once, and have teammates that race their regularly. It is a pretty good racing scene - much bigger than Portland. Do you have specific questions?
Old 06-28-19, 09:29 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
Alcohol is not a good sleep aid.
Old 06-28-19, 10:38 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Originally Posted by TMonk
^
how's grad school doing? You almost done/finished? Looking at industry jobs in Seattle?

I would say those three beers is a solid amount to drink. Any more then that and I'd consider myself "going after it" and feel slow the next day. Which happens sometimes, but not all the time.

It probably will happen next weekend when my fiancee and I are doing a long wine-tasting weekend in Paso Robles . I've been getting into reds quite a bit over the last year or two as my drink of choice, and two of my favorite supermarket winemakers are there - Justin and Daou.
It was the most I drank in probably 5 years for sure. Occasionally I'll have 1, very, very rarely 2.

I would hardly attribute it to fitness though that I can't go out like them, I hadn't been on the bike in years before a few weeks ago.
Old 06-28-19, 10:39 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Originally Posted by topflightpro
Alcohol is not a good sleep aid.
It seems like it is, but the quality is atrocious. Not to mention all the side effects.
Old 06-28-19, 10:59 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

I've never ridden with them, but a local group about 20min south had a lady get popped head on last night. It isn't on the news yet, but she's stable in the ICU.

It's close enough to home I messaged the club page to ask for a link or way to donate or contribute if they set something up. I can pray, but I can open my wallet too, as those kind of incidents can be devastating in costs to a family.

Nothing definitive yet, but appears a drunk driver (around 7pm) was speeding around a corner and went over the double yellow.

It wouldn't have mattered if a bike or a car they were in given it's a head on incident.
Old 06-28-19, 11:25 AM
Flatballer
No matches

I've never ridden with them, but a local group about 20min south had a lady get popped head on last night. It isn't on the news yet, but she's stable in the ICU.

It's close enough to home I messaged the club page to ask for a link or way to donate or contribute if they set something up. I can pray, but I can open my wallet too, as those kind of incidents can be devastating in costs to a family.

Nothing definitive yet, but appears a drunk driver (around 7pm) was speeding around a corner and went over the double yellow.

It wouldn't have mattered if a bike or a car they were in given it's a head on incident.
That's certainly scary.

But I'm not sure at all what you're trying to say at the end there. If I have to get hit head on by a driver, I'm gonna pick my car to be riding in, every single time.
Old 06-28-19, 11:34 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

But I'm not sure at all what you're trying to say at the end there.
Telling myself a lie about riding on the road. Probably.

Obviously, I totally agree with rather being in a car if there were an incident.
Old 06-28-19, 02:20 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1338 Post(s)
Liked 2,474 Times in 1,449 Posts
It does not get much worse than alcohol and caffeine mixed with education and athletic performance. Why We Sleep by Matthew Walker is a new book on sleep. He is a PhD Neuroscientist, former Harvard Professor and Professor at Berkeley. He is being sought for speaking engagements for companies and pro teams.

https://www.amazon.com/Why-We-Sleep-...s%2C211&sr=8-1

Alcohol is really bad and of course sleeping pills are the worst. Caffeine affects the receptors that make us tired and caffeine metabolism is individualistic for each of us.

Walker has a lot of interesting tidbits on how the brain develops and ages, how we learn and some key points on athletic performance as well as disease and dementia. He discusses the developing brain of children and teenagers. This is a good read. Bike racers will throw away their alcohol and generally think twice before drinking.

I like red wine with dinner and now my arm locks up as I sip a glass. My brain says nooooooooooooooooo. Please noooooooooooooooo.
Old 06-28-19, 05:24 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 160 Posts
Figured I'd ask on here...

I have an decade or so old CAAD9 that I really haven't used in a while. I'm hoping to get on something a bit more comfort oriented since I don't plan to race again... thinking something like a synapse. AFAIK, the DA and 105 stuff on the CAAD9 are pretty solid. Should I just hunt for a used frame and move things over or just take a hit on the bike and sell things and buy something used locally or on ebay?

I've built a few bikes back in the day so I'm not worried about wrenching a bit. I could also possibly swap the parts onto a vintage Trek 760 that I have and just ride that. It's currently an SS/FG setup but.... hasn't really been ridden in millennia. Neither of them have :/

Might be a bit hard during residency, but I'd really like to get back out on the road if possible.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.