Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1937 English Dawes. Now begins the restoration! A little help here?!?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-10, 07:28 PM
Ivandarken
Senator from Secret

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

No sooner did I say to myself... "Self- you need to find an antique English bike to restore" ... did I find a beauty!

Purchased from son of original owner. Hasn't been ridden since the early 1970's. Very few flaws for such an old bike. Two small dents in top tube, but quite forgivable for a veteran bicycle. Chrome needs some TLC, but manageable.

This has a decal showing Reynolds 531. I hadn't really thought about how early this tubing was around, but apparently at least this long.
Edit: Wikipedia says 531 was introduced in 1935.

Lugs are pretty. Paint scheme is very elegant, much richer than in photo, just makes me smile. These photos don't do it justice... and I have begun carefully cleaning the frame and bringing the blue and green back from dull and into the realm of shiny. The Dawes decal on the down tube is holding up and seems very stable.

Here is what I need help with:

Need replacement Cyclo Oppy shifter.
Need Brampton Headset part... the part that clamps the stem secure.

I have checked the internets for these but nothing popped up. Can anyone direct me to a source for early English parts?

Anyone with some knowledge to share on this would become my new best friend

Much thanks!

Last edited by Ivandarken; 05-28-10 at 04:22 PM.
Old 05-27-10, 08:08 PM
markk900

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 336 Posts
Wow - 73 years old and still a beauty! Sorry I can't help but please keep posting photos....

Mark
Old 05-27-10, 08:21 PM
sailorbenjamin

Bikes: one of each

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Yum.
Old 05-27-10, 08:22 PM
sailorbenjamin

Bikes: one of each

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
I wonder if you could fab one of those stem clamp things out of a seat clamp.
First bike I really restored had one of those. I had no idea it was anything special.

Last edited by sailorbenjamin; 05-27-10 at 08:22 PM. Reason: did some more thinkin.
Old 05-27-10, 08:32 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,054 Times in 1,254 Posts
Very cool! Accles and Pollack sliding stem with "scorcher" bars...it just looks so dramatic. Love to see and hear more about all of it's bits and pieces

Try Peter for parts...https://oldbiketrader.co.uk/
Old 05-27-10, 09:06 PM
spiker

Bikes: Lotus Odyssey - Shogun 400 - '75 Raleigh Tourist - Raleigh Grand Prix - Gitane Tour de France- Schwinn Le Tour - Univega Maxima Sport (winter bike) Trek 950

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Drum brakes front & rear? wow
Old 05-27-10, 09:12 PM
bibliobob

Bikes: '53/'54 Bianchi CDM, '62ish Altenburger Cinelli Mod B, '69 Rene Herse Competition, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '73-74 Colnago Super,, '73-74 Cinelli SC, '78ish counterfeit Confente, '82 Medici Gran Turismo, '67ish Mondia Speciale, Eddy Merckx Pro

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 257 Times in 87 Posts
I demand to see it in person when it's done!
Old 05-27-10, 11:41 PM
Ivandarken
Senator from Secret

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sailorbenjamin
I wonder if you could fab one of those stem clamp things out of a seat clamp.
First bike I really restored had one of those. I had no idea it was anything special.
Sailorbenjamin, I'm afraid not. It has a proprietary clamp which is quite striking. Mine will work, but it has a crack that will certainly grow with abuse. I figure if I start looking now, I will find the replacement when it becomes critical.

Originally Posted by clubman
Very cool! Accles and Pollack sliding stem with "scorcher" bars...it just looks so dramatic. Love to see and hear more about all of it's bits and pieces

Try Peter for parts...https://oldbiketrader.co.uk/
clubman, yes, there are some really great and understated parts on this bicycle. I will post photos on this thread as I address each one. Glad for your interest. Thanks for the link... unfortunately, this Dawes does not use any Raleigh or Sturmey Archer parts.

Originally Posted by spiker
Drum brakes front & rear? wow
spiker, yes, and the drum brakes are very different from the Sturmey Archer that I am used to seeing. And they appear to be in exceptional working condition. I may have to sacrifice the spokes and rims due to age and corrosion, but I will keep them preserved if I upgrade the wheels using the original drum hubs.

Originally Posted by bibliobob
I demand to see it in person when it's done!
bibliobob, I will upgrade your demand to riding it when I am done. All you have to do is find me in Mckinley Park, Chicago. I was looking for a good candidate for the ABCE Tour in September. This one will be perfect. All are welcome to join in this fantastic ride. Look it up on the internets.
Old 05-27-10, 11:49 PM
bikamper
1991 PBP Anciens

Bikes: 1954 Robin Hood, 1964 Dunelt, 1968 Raleigh Superbe, 1969 Robin Hood, 197? Gitane, 1973 Raleigh SuperCourse, 1981 Miyata 710, 1990 Miyata 600GT, 2007 Rivendell Bleriot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 305 Times in 117 Posts
I expect to see it at the ABCE. Very nice.
Old 05-28-10, 12:06 AM
Ivandarken
Senator from Secret

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bikamper
I expect to see it at the ABCE. Very nice.
bikamper, were you there last year? Perhaps we have met? I rode a 60's Dawes Realmrider and Sheldon's Raleigh Competition. Regardless, would be happy to see a fellow CV'er there. Barley Johns has my favourite beer in the universe which they make in small batches.
Old 05-28-10, 12:22 AM
Maddox
Ride heavy metal.

Bikes: '74 Raleigh LTD-3, '76 Motobecane Grand Jubile, '83 Fuji TSIII (customized commuter), '10 Mercier Kilo WT (fixed obsession), '83 Bianchi Alloro, '92 Bridgestone MB-1 (project), '83 Specialized Expedition (project), '79 Peugeot UO-8 (sold)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
May be obvious, but doesn't isn't the handlebar supposed to clamp underneath the forward stem bar?
Old 05-28-10, 05:11 AM
bibliobob

Bikes: '53/'54 Bianchi CDM, '62ish Altenburger Cinelli Mod B, '69 Rene Herse Competition, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '73-74 Colnago Super,, '73-74 Cinelli SC, '78ish counterfeit Confente, '82 Medici Gran Turismo, '67ish Mondia Speciale, Eddy Merckx Pro

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 257 Times in 87 Posts
Hmmm. Well, I did just bring a '65 Mercian back from England a few days ago....

McKinley Park? Did I sell you a Rudge 3 spd. a couple years ago?
Old 05-28-10, 05:29 AM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,054 Times in 1,254 Posts
Originally Posted by Maddox
May be obvious, but doesn't isn't the handlebar supposed to clamp underneath the forward stem bar?
They're designed to give you the choice. These were popular in six day races when the riders would agree to "rest" periods while their team mates were asleep. They'd slip the bars off and invert them so they could sit up and relax.

Running the bars like the Dawes works for those that don't need or want a very aggressive posture. It's over 3 inches of change.

Last edited by clubman; 05-28-10 at 05:35 AM.
Old 05-28-10, 06:12 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Wow!

I'm looking forward to more photos. Anything that needs replaced, give us photos. I have some odd bits that I don't understand, and I'm sure other people have as well. You might get lucky!

What are the rims?
Old 05-28-10, 06:46 AM
bikamper
1991 PBP Anciens

Bikes: 1954 Robin Hood, 1964 Dunelt, 1968 Raleigh Superbe, 1969 Robin Hood, 197? Gitane, 1973 Raleigh SuperCourse, 1981 Miyata 710, 1990 Miyata 600GT, 2007 Rivendell Bleriot

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 305 Times in 117 Posts
Originally Posted by Ivandarken
bikamper, were you there last year? Perhaps we have met? I rode a 60's Dawes Realmrider and Sheldon's Raleigh Competition. Regardless, would be happy to see a fellow CV'er there. Barley Johns has my favourite beer in the universe which they make in small batches.
I couldn't make it the last two years but I have vacation time set aside for this years event.
Old 05-28-10, 07:31 AM
beech333
Fuji Fan

Bikes: Was Fuji and got my grails (Pro, Pro SR, Design Series, & Ti). Now I hunt 50's and older road bikes.

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 112 Posts
I posted that in the "Are you looking for one of these" thread with high hopes that it would go to one of us...I'm glad to see it was you. Nice score. More pics at earliest convenience please.
Old 05-28-10, 08:44 AM
Ivandarken
Senator from Secret

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Maddox
Maddox, actually, the part I will need is the big clamp right above the headset which secures the stem. It has a small crack. I think it's usable for the short term.

Originally Posted by bibliobob
Hmmm. Well, I did just bring a '65 Mercian back from England a few days ago....

McKinley Park? Did I sell you a Rudge 3 spd. a couple years ago?
bibliobob, a nice Mercian will certainly be welcome! I will identify you through it I have a few Rudge... maybe I did buy one from you, what part of town?

Originally Posted by rhm
Wow!

I'm looking forward to more photos. Anything that needs replaced, give us photos. I have some odd bits that I don't understand, and I'm sure other people have as well. You might get lucky!

What are the rims?
rhm, I will post more photos this weekend. That's a good idea to post photos of replacement parts, though I will have to find some online images of the shifter. I will identify the rims for you tonight. I doubt I will be able to find NOS rims.

Originally Posted by bikamper
I couldn't make it the last two years but I have vacation time set aside for this years event.
bikamper, make it a permanent mark on your calendar. Really good people, good beer, and good bikes. There is also a parts swap if you want to bring some vintage British items from your collection.

Originally Posted by beech333
I posted that in the "Are you looking for one of these" thread with high hopes that it would go to one of us...I'm glad to see it was you. Nice score. More pics at earliest convenience please.
beech333, I just saw it. The seller was a very nice man, and he was only going to sell it to someone who would restore it. Though I'm tempted to hit it with the dremel and make the world's oldest fixie. (kidding). He gave me a great deal on the price as well, so I am very grateful. Dawes is one of my favourite makes. I miss my 60's Realmrider I sold a few months ago because it was too large. Photo below just for fun.

Last edited by Ivandarken; 05-28-10 at 08:47 AM.
Old 05-28-10, 09:45 AM
beech333
Fuji Fan

Bikes: Was Fuji and got my grails (Pro, Pro SR, Design Series, & Ti). Now I hunt 50's and older road bikes.

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 112 Posts
^^ As I recall, you beat me to that Realmrider by just a few minutes about a year ago, unless I am getting you mixed up with someone else. It pained me again when you mentioned selling it. I'll have to settle with a consolation prize of seeing the '37 if we can ever make it to a Chicago area ride.
Old 05-28-10, 12:47 PM
Ivandarken
Senator from Secret

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That was me, sorry. I would have gladly offered it up to you if I had remembered, but somebody saw it and made me an offer... and because I'm buying a house I let it go. If it's any consolation, it took me a good 4 months to get it into the condition shown in the photo... and at some expense.

I sometimes forget that we are sort of all in competition with each other for the infrequent good CV bikes.
Old 05-28-10, 12:51 PM
Maddox
Ride heavy metal.

Bikes: '74 Raleigh LTD-3, '76 Motobecane Grand Jubile, '83 Fuji TSIII (customized commuter), '10 Mercier Kilo WT (fixed obsession), '83 Bianchi Alloro, '92 Bridgestone MB-1 (project), '83 Specialized Expedition (project), '79 Peugeot UO-8 (sold)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by clubman
They're designed to give you the choice. These were popular in six day races when the riders would agree to "rest" periods while their team mates were asleep. They'd slip the bars off and invert them so they could sit up and relax.

Running the bars like the Dawes works for those that don't need or want a very aggressive posture. It's over 3 inches of change.
Thanks for this. I hadn't ever heard or seen photos of the flipped stem/bar setup on the old race bikes.

This = why I love C&V.
Old 05-28-10, 01:14 PM
PDXaero
French threaded

Bikes: many

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
What size is the stem? I have been looking for brampton headsets for a holdsworth and an old timer at the lbs had some random british headset parts, no complete headsets so I passed but I will gladly go back and check.
Old 05-28-10, 03:54 PM
SingeDebile

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would call/email the guys at VIA bicycles https://bikeville.com/ they have everything

(beautiful bike!)
Old 05-28-10, 03:57 PM
Ivandarken
Senator from Secret

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here are some more photos.... The first two are of the part I need to replace because of a small crack.

Seat tube decal

You can tell where I have been cleaning... the blue paint is quite intense once you get the grease and time off of it. The green over paint is not as tough, and can't be cleaned too aggressively or it will start to thin out.

Last edited by Ivandarken; 05-28-10 at 04:19 PM.
Old 05-28-10, 04:08 PM
Ivandarken
Senator from Secret

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
and more...

left side (untouched)

right side (lightly cleaned)

Last edited by Ivandarken; 05-28-10 at 04:13 PM.
Old 05-28-10, 04:43 PM
Big Block

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 78 Posts
perhaps a new one from here
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
tech1..jpg (13.3 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by Big Block; 05-28-10 at 04:55 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.