Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Feels like the "sophmore slump"

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-12, 08:11 PM
colpatrick

Bikes: Specialized Crossroads

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This is my second year out on the bike after what I regarded as a very successful return to biking after 30 years+. Turned 61 this past February.

My doctor is after me to lose weight and get my "numbers" back to where they should be, especially my sugar; right on the edge of Type II diabetes.

I set a goal of 1000 miles last year, and I did 1035. My goal this year is 1050 miles.

Now here's where the "slump" seems to have come in.

At this point last year, I was about 340 miles towards the goal; only 65 miles so far this year. We had an incredible ten days of weather in late March here in Rochester, but I didn't get the bike out due to the residual salt left on the roads, although there was very little of that compared to most years because the winter was among the mildest in my memory. Then the weather turned in both April and up to May 15th; it just wasn't very conducive to riding after work and supper during that 6 week period.It really put me behind, but I don't like biking or watching live baseball in the cold!

One other thing that may have set me back was the fact that I had my gall bladder out on Jan.13th. Eight days in the hospital; had it out the old-fashioned way, not arthoscopic due to its condition. But I had a very good experience in the hospital. There were no post-op complications and I feel and people tell me I had a very good recovery. Especially for never having been in the hospital myself for anything more than stitches.

Part of my problem regarding my goal and my low mileage to date just seems to be a lack of enthusiam compared to last year. I know I seem to be more tired this year after certain activities and am wondering if it had SOMETHING to do with the surgery. I'm not ready to say it did, but I can't put my finger on anything else right now. It may be nothing more than the sophmore slump and less favorable weather early in the season.

And I am in NO way looking for any sympathy. Just relating this in case others have had similar experiences. My gall bladder hurt for all of about 8 hours on the day I went to the hospital. Once the medical staff honed in on that as the problem, their care and pain medications took care of it. It came out on the third day after getting a hospital bed and surgery time; I went home 4 days later.

Some I have serious ground to make up on my goal for this year and I am determined to do my best.

I will get my "numbers" tested in early August, so that is plenty of incentive 'til then. And my oldest son gets married in late September. And the weather has been great here since mid-May!

I feel better just relating all this to my friends here in this forum!
Old 06-17-12, 08:24 PM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Cut yourself some slack.

I had laparoscopic surgery several years ago and didn't feel back to normal for several weeks. It's tougher with the open procedure, by far.

Unless you had your heart set on the London Olympics, it doesn't really matter what your current numbers are.

Old 06-17-12, 08:25 PM
teachme

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Sectuer, 1988 Bianchi

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am in my second year of cycling as well and experiencing a similar slump that you have described. I am very dissapointed in my mileage so far this year, but like you; circumstances beyond my control have led to decreased time on the bike. I know it will get better. The quality of my rides has improved a lot this year aka club rides, charity rides, etc. Its the personal training rides that I went for in the first year that I haven't seemed to have time for this year.
Old 06-17-12, 08:31 PM
Phil85207
Century bound

Bikes: Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I am in my umpteenth number and I too am experiencing a slump. It started with a medical reason and for some reason I just can't seem to get back into it. I guess I need to sit myself down and have a good talking to me.
Old 06-17-12, 08:36 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Our April was terrible and that after a huge warmup for early March riding. We too had that stall in the riding season. How about changing something up on your bike or gear to help with generating interest? A new set of tires or something to spiff it up? Or, changing up routes. If you like to do the miles, are you setting out a rotation of favorite routes and getting tired/bored with them? You could drive to a different county and set an out-and-back, loop ride etc.

Dont be too strapped to your goal if it's just accumulating miles. I dont want to discourage it, maybe you need something a month out to train for like a group ride an hour or two drive (for sake of new territory) away?

And, how about a riding partner that can help you pass the miles?
Old 06-18-12, 12:17 AM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I started riding after a winter of just turning the pedals and that was in April. Just as the drought was declared and the Weather hit us with rain- cool temps and wind. OK-I am retired now and can ride whenever the weather is good- but I have had to force myself out on the few good days when I am able to ride. Got to the stage where I realise that I have to force myself to get on the bike. Ridiculous thing is that once out there- it is great. May take a mile or so extra to warm up but then great fun.

Subject to weather of course but I have set the target for me of 100 miles a week. The bike is ready- the weather is supposedly getting better- all I have to do is ride. Tomorrow looks good- but then tomorrow always does. For me it is a frame of mind thing and that is all I have to get right.

So reading this post has helped me. It is my situation to a "T" so thankyou. Fine this afternoon and the garden can wait- so can tidying the garage and any other excuse I can find. Short ride this afternoon.

Spike Milligan
Old 06-18-12, 06:03 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
I can empathize well, but on a grander scale. I have had 16 surgeries, one a laproscopic colisysectomy, 12 others on the abdomen/small intestines and, 3 on my back, since 2000. when I got back, finally, last October it was a feeling of relief. Got in a slump this spring from infusion antibiotics but now out of it and feeling fine.

I wouldn't dwell on any goals unless this is what keeps you riding in the first place (your post sounds as if it is not why you ride at all) and just ride and enjoy the benefits you get from the activity. It sounds like the health benefits tend to inspire your riding to me. Ride safe and don't sweat the slump.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 06-18-12, 06:21 AM
freedomrider1

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
HTFU.. opps wrong forum, You had some pretty good reasons for not riding, like someone else said just start back riding but i would treat it like last year.I mean, start slow and build up.This may ignite the joy you had in cycling.
Old 06-18-12, 07:17 AM
jmccain

Bikes: Kvale, Peugeot, Cervelo, Bridgestone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by colpatrick
Some I have serious ground to make up on my goal for this year and I am determined to do my best.
What helps me is that I don't think or negotiate with myself about riding. I put on the gear, pump up the tires, fill the bottles and go. If I start negotiating, I'll likely not ride.

And if the ride lasts 5 minutes or 5 hours, it's a win.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-18-12, 07:18 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,280 Times in 740 Posts
This raises a question that seems to be on my mind all the time....am I going to measure my cycling experience by "the numbers" or about the ride itself? This year I'm riding more with my club on it's B Ride. We don't get too caught up in the numbers and just ride for the fun of being out together. Most of those rides are about 40-50 mi. and end up being around 14.5 mph. We start together and we end together. This Saturday routine has helped me to ride more and enjoy cycling more.

It sounds to me like you are doing well given all the variables and obstacles we face during our cycling season. As I keep telling a friend who is starting cycling, "It doesn't matter how far or fast you go. Doing anything is better than doing nothing." It's good to have goals just don't make the goal your master.

Last edited by bruce19; 06-19-12 at 10:38 AM.
Old 06-18-12, 08:21 AM
AzTallRider
I need speed

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm going to offer an opinion that's more in the 'HTFU' vein, because based on your mileage, I think you just haven't 'gotten over the hump' in fitness. If you push your up mileage and frequency, you can get to the point where the rides don't take so much out of you, and you will look forward to them more. I still remember when I realized I had gone from hoping to hit a red light on my commute, to looking for longer routes that had less interruption.
Old 06-19-12, 06:17 AM
jim p

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Set smaller goals. Set a goal to ride at least 5 miles this week. The trick is starting the habit or riding. Once you get out and start riding 5 miles will blow by and you will be wanting more. Then at the end of the year look at the ODO and you will be surprised.
Old 06-19-12, 07:01 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
I suspect such lulls in enthusiasm are normal and not always due to a medical condition. It may help to change up the routine a bit with some other activity. For example, on days I don't ride the bike I go to the local state park, which has very nice grounds and fine views overlooking Narragansett Bay, and walk several miles. If one walks fast with lots of arm swinging, it is an excellent exercise. A machine is not necessary to get good exercise. Often, just getting out by whatever means rouses enthusiasm.
Old 06-21-12, 08:09 PM
colpatrick

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
(your post sounds as if it is not why you ride at all) and just ride and enjoy the benefits you get from the activity. It sounds like the health benefits tend to inspire your riding to me. Ride safe and don't sweat the slump.)

Actually, I ride first for health reasons, and since i've been a sprinter at any stage of life, i.e., cross-country in high school, I have to go for the miles to get the health benefits. And those benefits should be better "numbers" on the blood work.

All the relaxation and fun benefits of bike riding are the frosting on the cake...
Old 06-21-12, 08:25 PM
colpatrick

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Strike that. I meant to say "since I've NEVER been a sprinter at any time in my life".

I was hustling to finish this post and get out to see the Inter. Space station fly over. At 6 miles a second, talk about sprinting!
Old 06-21-12, 08:29 PM
ping jockey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a "slump" this spring. After an injury, riding just didn't seem to be as much fun as it had in the last several years.

Then I realized that the biggest part of my problem was that I bored out of my mind. Riding the same route over and over was, I believe adding to my slump. So, a couple of weekends ago I rode with my daughter and son-in -law and let them pick a route, as long as it was new to me. And last weekend I sat down on Friday night and mapped out a solo ride for myself. It was nice to be looking at some new scenery for a while.

I'm still doing the same short, boring week night training rides but I'm also planning some more long and varied weekend rides to break up the monotony.

Give it a try.
Old 06-21-12, 08:38 PM
Mort Canard

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am in the fifth year of my second cycling career and I definitely had a sophomore slump the second year back.

Get out often and don't worry about he miles. I find that once I'm on the bike, the endorphins kick in and I'm off to the races. Even if it's only a few miles get on the bike more days than not.
Old 06-22-12, 08:51 PM
colpatrick

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Or, changing up routes.

I did change my route tonite and think it helped.
Old 06-23-12, 12:23 AM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
OP, you say you cycle principally for health reasons. The question that occurs to me is, do you actually like cycling? When I returned to riding I did so as a commuter, because that seemed the most time-effective way of getting the exercise I very obviously needed. But I chose that option because I remembered how much I had enjoyed cycling. And within a matter of weeks I was seeking every excuse to get out on the bike at weekends as well.

Now, I no longer commute. But I spend just as long on the bike. I race, I tour, I go out training. But my fundamental motive for riding isn't fitness, or winning races (ha! If only..) it is that I actively enjoy being out on the bike. If that isn't the same for you, maybe some other way of getting fit would suit you better. Heresy, I know, in a cycling forum, but it isn't for everyone, and it is much more important that you get active than that you choose cycling as your means of doing so.

If having thought about it, you decide the answer is yes, cycling is what you want to do, then I'd say HTFU. Taking the year as a whole, 1000 miles is less than two hours a week on the bike. That isn't enough to get you fit, and it isn't enough to make exercise a habit. It needs to be part of your lifestyle, so that you do it as a matter of routine. Double it. Make sure you go out three times a week for more than an hour at a time.
Old 06-23-12, 08:50 AM
David Bierbaum

Bikes: 1992 Specialized Crossroads (red)

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 19 Posts
My one useless piece of advice is, don't try cycling for goals just now. Rather, pick some scenic routes to ride, and just ride for fun. You can reinstate goals AFTER you've gotten used to just riding the bicycle regularly again. If you can, separate "exercise" from "bicycling" in your mind, since "exercise" equates to "chores" when you don't feel like exercising. Just think of "exercising" as one of the many things you can do while you are bicycling!

For exercise, just do what I do, and do things manually rather than with power tools whevever possible, right down to opening cans with a manual can opener, and trimming/edging your lawn with clippers instead of a weed-whacker. Park at the back of all parking lots to maximize your walking, and never take a car for errands that a bicycle can take you to. My grocery panniers are rapidly becoming a semi-permanent fixture on my bike, even when it would make sense for me to go lighter...
Old 06-23-12, 08:55 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
I would try to ride 10-15 miles a day 2 or 3 times a week. A short ride two or three times a month won't provide results, IMHO.

Also, make sure the bike is comfortable with a useful gear range. If the saddle hurts or your feet and hands are in pain you may need to change these contact points for something that works better for you.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 06-23-12, 11:58 AM
gear

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
"Get obsessed and stay obsessed."

J.Irving
Old 06-23-12, 07:03 PM
Banded Krait

Bikes: Trek Pilot 5.9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
colpatrick,

There have been a lot of great tips in the replies so far. I hope you can find inspiration to get back to regular cycling soon.

Here's another tip. If you have the physical space in your home, consider getting a cycling trainer. This is a device which converts your bicycle into a stationary bicycle and allows you to ride indoors. Just like you, I started bicycling last year (April 2011) after 30+ years off the bike. When the cold weather rolled around in December of last year, I decided I didn't want to lose my cycling fitness over the winter, and I read all the posts in this sub-forum and in the Road Cycling sub-forum about trainers. I eventually bought a Kurt Kinetic Road Machine (see https://www.kurtkinetic.com/road-machine-p-198-l-en.html ), and this has been one of the single biggest boosts to my cycling fitness that I have ever experienced. It allowed me to "ride" all winter. I thought I would not like riding on the trainer, but I found just the opposite to be true. I set it up in my den, and I listen to up-tempo "ambient" music while I ride. The Kurt Kinetic Road Machine provides a very smooth, quiet, "realistic" ride, and I found I enjoyed it very much. Riding on the trainer provides a very compressed workout--I find that a ride on the trainer provides the equivalent of 1.5 - 2.0X the eqivalvent mileage workout on the road. There are a number of factors responsible for this. The first is that there is no "coasting" on the trainer--at least the way I ride on it. There's no stopping for stop signs, traffic lights, or joggers or slower cyclists that there is on the MUP or the road.

The workouts on the trainer are very precise and repeatable. By precise, I mean that with a high-quality cycling computer with cadence, you can "meter out" your workout very precisely. And it is repeatable because you don't have environmental factors like wind and temperature introducing random variation into your rides.

You stated that less than ideal weather in April and May interfered with your riding schedule. Had you a trainer, this would not have been a problem. I've been "riding" 5 days a week since last December, and have experienced incredible gains in my cycling fitness.

During the work week, I get up at 5 a.m. and hit the trainer for at least a 30-minute ride. This allows me to get my exercise in before going to work, and I don't have to worry about finding time (or motivation) at the end of a long work day to exercise. Once the warm weather hits, I vary my routine and try to ride outside on the weekends. But if we get poor weather on the weekend, I can still ride indoors. This eliminates a lot of excuses for not riding.

I ride for recreation and fitness. All the extra riding on the trainer has done wonders for my waistline. I was not overweight when I began cycling last year. However, by doing all the riding and monitoring my caloric intake so that it was just slightly below what I was burning in my exercise, I have lost 9 pounds in the last year. It was practically effortless; I do not normally weigh myself on a regular basis, but I could tell I was losing weight because my clothes were getting looser. We had an "Employee Health Day" at my company last month, and when I got my "numbers" I was ecstatic. My total cholesterol was 160, my blood pressure was 98/60, my resting heartrate was 48, and my weight was 144. If I lose 7 more pounds, I will be back to what I weighed when I ran cross-country in high school.

So, that is my tip to add to all the others. It you can fit it in to your home situation, get a cycling trainer. It will allow you to "ride" early in the morning, or late at night, or during poor weather. By doing so, you will greatly increase the miles you ride, and you will experience quicker gains in your cycling fitness. Good luck!
Old 06-25-12, 08:08 PM
colpatrick

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All these posts have really helped my game.

In fact, I don't think I've missed a day riding since I wrote these thoughts down.

It helped to know that other folks get discouraged at times and it's just normal.

Thanks to everyone for the encouragement.