Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Hit-and-run driver not guilty regardless of witnesses and video of event.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-13, 07:53 AM
aruban

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

We are not winning the war.

https://www.boston.com/news/local/mas...ZhI/story.html
Old 02-15-13, 08:33 AM
Xevous92
Budget Cyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
People die in cars too. Fact is, it you leave your house, your chances of death go up. No bicycle lane will stop a careless driver from swerving/driving into you. Neither will an overhaul in bicycle advocacy. We are all humans, a race bent on its own destruction, and we will all meet our demise. Enjoy the ride while you are living, because these accidents are never going to go away.

Now on to the fact that the driver was not charged - THAT is the biggest mistake. There should be no question, if you take a life, you need to be punished. It is the biggest crime there is. You put an end to someone's life, you need to pay a price. An eye for an eye. But hey, its a free country.
Old 02-15-13, 08:43 AM
RT
The Weird Beard

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Wow. Without being there, it sure seems based on the article that something should have been done.

In before the move to A&S.
Old 02-15-13, 09:03 AM
mynameistaken

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
not sure where to begin here. Why do they need a grand jury filled with regular citizens to pursue criminal charges? That is ridiculous. If the police and prosecutor think they have adequate evidence then PROSECUTE!

The comments to the article are depressing. All of these discussions eventually boil down to ... all cyclist are law breaking degenerates who should not be on the road.

The majority of drivers do not like cyclist and are biased against them. We need laws to protect us not just from cars but the bias we face in the justice system.

I just hope Karma picks up where the police left off.
Old 02-15-13, 09:31 AM
godshammgod

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mynameistaken
not sure where to begin here. Why do they need a grand jury filled with regular citizens to pursue criminal charges? That is ridiculous. If the police and prosecutor think they have adequate evidence then PROSECUTE!

The comments to the article are depressing. All of these discussions eventually boil down to ... all cyclist are law breaking degenerates who should not be on the road.

The majority of drivers do not like cyclist and are biased against them. We need laws to protect us not just from cars but the bias we face in the justice system.

I just hope Karma picks up where the police left off.
In Massachusetts, a grand jury is required before someone can be indicted on criminal charges in "superior court."

This was not a matter of prosecutor discretion. It had to before the grand jury. Thus the disconnect. Police/prosecutors want to pursue these cases, but the grand juries made up of "regular people" do not.
Old 02-15-13, 09:35 AM
mynameistaken

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by godshammgod
In Massachusetts, a grand jury is required before someone can be indicted on criminal charges in "superior court."

This was not a matter of prosecutor discretion. It had to before the grand jury. Thus the disconnect. Police/prosecutors want to pursue these cases, but the grand juries made up of "regular people" do not.
Can or will they persue lesser charges at least?
Old 02-15-13, 09:51 AM
unionmade

Bikes: Litespeed M1, Jamis Sputnik

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm pretty sure that once the case is presented to the grand jury, "jeopardy" attaches, meaning the driver cannot be brought up on charges. I know that intersection, and I do feel like I'm risking my life just by riding through it. While this case shows how far we have to go, it also shows how far we've come. 10 years ago, the DA begs off this, or the PD won't raise a finger. Nevermind a front page article in the paper. This death has gotten a ton of press. That, in and of itself, is a step in the right direction.
Old 02-15-13, 10:10 AM
ahsposo 
Artificial Member

Bikes: Retrospec Judd, Dahon Boardwalk, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6766 Post(s)
Liked 5,479 Times in 3,223 Posts
Originally Posted by aruban
Incredible. How do you bribe a Grand Jury?
Old 02-15-13, 10:12 AM
ahsposo 
Artificial Member

Bikes: Retrospec Judd, Dahon Boardwalk, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6766 Post(s)
Liked 5,479 Times in 3,223 Posts
Originally Posted by unionmade
I'm pretty sure that once the case is presented to the grand jury, "jeopardy" attaches, meaning the driver cannot be brought up on charges. I know that intersection, and I do feel like I'm risking my life just by riding through it. While this case shows how far we have to go, it also shows how far we've come. 10 years ago, the DA begs off this, or the PD won't raise a finger. Nevermind a front page article in the paper. This death has gotten a ton of press. That, in and of itself, is a step in the right direction.
I believe the family can bring a civil suit.
Old 02-15-13, 10:15 AM
dbf73
TFO

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL7 eTap, Felt AR-B, Colnago Master Mapei

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by godshammgod

whatever happened to the maxim that a decent prosecutor can get a grand jury to indict a ham sandwich? incompetent prosecutor?
Old 02-15-13, 10:24 AM
Commodus

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
yea, that's what I was thinking too. Something fell down here, but at least the folks involved were trying...I mean vehicular homicide? That's the good stuff.

Anyways it's a damn sad story with a damn sad ending.
Old 02-15-13, 10:52 AM
unionmade

Bikes: Litespeed M1, Jamis Sputnik

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dbf73
whatever happened to the maxim that a decent prosecutor can get a grand jury to indict a ham sandwich? incompetent prosecutor?
My wife's question to me this morning. I had no answer. The Wellesley chief is an honorable guy, so I have no reason to believe that the police didn't put the best case together that they could. The Norfolk County DA is a pretty competent guy, but I've no idea which assistant presented the case. Given the secret nature of the grand jury, I doubt we'll ever know.
Old 02-15-13, 11:06 AM
godshammgod

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My wife's question to me this morning. I had no answer. The Wellesley chief is an honorable guy, so I have no reason to believe that the police didn't put the best case together that they could. The Norfolk County DA is a pretty competent guy, but I've no idea which assistant presented the case. Given the secret nature of the grand jury, I doubt we'll ever know.
I wonder where the failure was as well. I read the police report and the full interview with the driver. There is some damning stuff in there.
Old 02-15-13, 11:07 AM
godshammgod

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ahsposo
I believe the family can bring a civil suit.
Yeah, they have already filed a lawsuit.
Old 02-15-13, 11:43 AM
WC89

Bikes: 2011 Trek 8.4 DS hybrid; 2012 Felt F-75 road bike; 1990 Specialized Stumpjumper MTB; 1992 Guerciotti road bike (inactive)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Disturbing.
Let down by the system.
Old 02-15-13, 11:45 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
In Mass. a prosecutor may file charges directly or proceed by way of a grand jury indictment. If he files charges directly, he then has to have a probable cause (PC) hearing-- called a preliminary hearing in California. At the PC, the prosecutor introduces evidence and questions witnesses. The defense attorney may cross-examine the prosecution witnesses, he may bring wits of his own and introduce evidence. At the end of the hearing the judge or magistrate decides if there is probable cause to order the defendant to trial.

The grand jury is a more favorable venue for prosecutots. There are no defense lawyers prsent (the suspect is not prsent either). The prosecutor is responsible for introducing evidence favorable to the prosecution AS WELL AS evidence favorable to the suspect. At the end of the hearing the grand jury decides whether to indict the suspect. The GJ may indict on the original charges or indict on different charges, as long as there is evidence to support all the charges.

Because the GJ is generally more favorable to the prosecution it is rare to see a GJ that fails to indict. There may be a number of reasons why this GJ refused to indict the driver. Maybe there was not enough admissible evidence to suuport an indictment. The newspaper report says there was evidence but we don't know if it was all admissible evidence. Sometimes papers don't report all the facts. Maybe the prosecutor charged the suspect with the wrong criminal counts and the GJ did not think the counts charged were proper.

Maybe the GJ engaged in jury nullification because they don't like cyclists

There are many possible reasons for the GJ's failure to indict--we just don't have enough information at this time.

At this point the prosecutor may file charges and have a PC hearing before a judge...maybe then the driver will be brought to justice.
Old 02-15-13, 11:54 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Unionmade, jeopardy does not attach at the GJ level. The reason is that at the GJ level no charges are filed. Jeopardy generallynattaches only after charges are formally filed, a jury is impanelled and the first witness is sworn. It is all in the Fifth Amendment of the US Constitution.
Old 02-15-13, 12:04 PM
Ex Pres 
Cat 6

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 118 Posts
not sure where to begin here. Why do they need a grand jury filled with regular citizens to pursue criminal charges?
Not sure where to begin here
Maybe you should start by reading the FIFTH AMENDMENT to the CONSTITUTION of the UNITED STATES.
Old 02-15-13, 12:29 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
This thread title is incredibly misleading - he can't be guilty because he was never charged!

I suppose it's possible that they could charge him with something different at some point. I doubt the lawsuit will bring the family much satisfaction- he's a truck driver, not a real estate tycoon.

I don't think I've ever seen a bike in that many pieces after a crash. Stories like this make me sad.
Old 02-15-13, 12:32 PM
Gjc985

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can read more about it here... https://theswellesleyreport.com/2013/...ling-accident/
Old 02-15-13, 12:46 PM
dalava

Bikes: Moots Vamoots, Colnago C60, Santa Cruz Stigmata CC, and too many other bikes I don't ride

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by xevous92
people die in cars too. Fact is, it you leave your house, your chances of death go up. No bicycle lane will stop a careless driver from swerving/driving into you. Neither will an overhaul in bicycle advocacy. We are all humans, a race bent on its own destruction, and we will all meet our demise. Enjoy the ride while you are living, because these accidents are never going to go away.

Now on to the fact that the driver was not charged - that is the biggest mistake. There should be no question, if you take a life, you need to be punished. It is the biggest crime there is. You put an end to someone's life, you need to pay a price. An eye for an eye. But hey, its a free country.
wtf...?
Old 02-15-13, 12:48 PM
SteveFromNY
Don't steal bikes, bro!

Bikes: Scrambler V3 fixie build, Specialized Tricross Ultegra, Cevelo R3 Dura Ace

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gjc985
just read part of the police report and had to stop. disheartening is an understatement. my condolences are with the family for sure. sad day.
Old 02-15-13, 12:53 PM
dalava

Bikes: Moots Vamoots, Colnago C60, Santa Cruz Stigmata CC, and too many other bikes I don't ride

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
This is a car country, and most people drive. Most of non-cyclist drivers have no idea that cyclists have the same right as motorist. To them, we are the one that's taking up space on the road illegally; and it shows by the grand jury's bias against the cyclist by not pressing charges. Continued awareness campaigns will help, but I doubt it will ever make big differences. Maybe when gas prices hits $10.
Old 02-15-13, 12:57 PM
SteveFromNY
Don't steal bikes, bro!

Bikes: Scrambler V3 fixie build, Specialized Tricross Ultegra, Cevelo R3 Dura Ace

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.wcvb.com/news/local/metro...z/-/index.html
Old 02-15-13, 01:11 PM
Gjc985

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How he still denies he hit anyone is just ridiculous/sad/gross

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.