Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Father Son Cycling Tattoo

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-13, 03:57 PM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by JackoDandy
Besides, there are no jobs for him to be turned down from anyways.

Made my afternoon. hehehe
Old 03-18-13, 04:18 PM
Chitown_Mike
That guy from the Chi

Bikes: 88 Trek 800 - gone to new cheeks; '14 Trek 1.2 - aka The X1 Advanced; '13 Trek 3500 Disc

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by youcoming
Guess I could try to beat the kid and see if that's a good bonding experience. Lol
No way better to connect with your child then balled fist to eye socket.

I kid, I kid. I work in the automotive world and can tell you the more tatted you are, the more money you make it seems.
Old 03-18-13, 04:18 PM
Chitown_Mike
That guy from the Chi

Bikes: 88 Trek 800 - gone to new cheeks; '14 Trek 1.2 - aka The X1 Advanced; '13 Trek 3500 Disc

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by PhotoJoe
Wouldn't a RoadID be a whole lot easier?
Lot less painful I am sure of that.
Old 03-18-13, 04:59 PM
iforgotmename

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Beachgrad05
I disagree...and have re-read the thread. You are entitled to your opinion. But I still feel the judging in this thread went beyond this forum's typical standards. There WERE aspersions cast on OP's parenting choices. But to castigate another member over this was uncalled for.
agreed...odd place for so much judgement.

Judge not...
Old 03-19-13, 11:51 AM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Chitown_Mike
No way better to connect with your child then balled fist to eye socket.

I kid, I kid. I work in the automotive world and can tell you the more tatted you are, the more money you make it seems.
Recent trends in dining seem to show this is true in the culinary world, too. A spatula or wire-wisk forearm tat could be the in-road to a career as a chef.
Old 03-19-13, 03:05 PM
deeth82
Dirty Schwinn-Lover

Bikes: '11 & '13 Schwinn Racers, Takara (Kent) Kabuto, '11 Gary Fisher (Trek) Marlin SS 29er, Schwinn Sanctuary Cruiser, '11 Schwinn Sid, Firmstrong Chief 3-spd, '10 Schwinn Corvette

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by youcoming
Best out of all of this, I asked no one for an opinion but todays society just automatically assumes their opinons and beliefs are the right ones. Things are changing in our world though and you had better change with it or get left behind. A hunred years ago no man of or woman of race would hold any meaningful job, fifty years ago no woman would hold a powerful position, 10 years ago a openly *****exual person would not oppurtunity as you and I. Live in your little caves as long as you can. If I asked for opinion I would have been more open to the abuse those of you who decided to put us down. I'm so happy to live in a part of North America that does not judge people by the choices they make in life.
Knowing how social media has made me crazy: I searched for almost a full minute to find the "Like/UpVote" button after I read this post. Change is the only constant...I think there are some solid principles to parenting (loving them even when they test you, etc), but what many people forget when judging others' parenting habits, is that every kid/situation is different. I was a wayward child that needed some tough love earlier in life...my girlfriend of over 2 years never needed a spanking/stern talking-to in her young life. We both have decent full-time jobs, a home, and share a great love and respect for one another, regardless of our disparate upbringings. OP, if you have a kid who's a solid student that likes to spend time outdoors (and with his family, no less), I'd say you're doing something right, and that the rank Puritans on this site need to jump into their time machines and head back to the dark ages.
Old 03-19-13, 03:53 PM
rebel1916

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 44 Posts
I am tattooed from my neck to my wrists. When I put on a shirt and tie, I look like everyone else. I have a solid middle class job in a lab. I regularly wear short sleeves to work. My wife has elaborate tattoos on her lower leg. She is a therapist and a manager at a large social service agency. She regularly wears skirts to work.

She actually has an awesome sugar skull. Not bike related
Old 03-20-13, 03:10 PM
avance

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a teacher in the East St. Louis district and I see kids, 14-19 years old, all the time with tats everywhere. Some are homemade, some are professionally done. Sure there is a "stigma" around the tats, but I feel that this has gone away as they have become far more accepted and mainstream. You cannot turn on a reality tv show(every thing is reality nowadays) and not see at least one or more.
Old 03-20-13, 03:47 PM
InTheRain

Bikes: 2007 Rocky Mountain Sherpa 30 (bionx), 2015 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
While many people don't think that tattoos should keep them from being hired for a job, the truth is that it still happens. However, I haven't heard of any cases where a person was not hired because they didn't have ink. Where I work, I don't know of anyone that has a tattoo that is visible... or if it is, it doesn't draw much attention because I haven't noticed. I'm not an ink person myself, and it doesn't bother me if people have some tattoos, but some people take it too far for my tastes. For people that get them, I hope they are solely for your own purposes, because I can't think of a single tattoo that I have seen that I can call "memorable." Most of them, I have no idea what they are... of course, I don't believe that I have ever spent more than 2 seconds looking at someone's tattoo.
Old 03-20-13, 03:54 PM
InTheRain

Bikes: 2007 Rocky Mountain Sherpa 30 (bionx), 2015 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra

Old 03-20-13, 04:03 PM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Personally I have never liked tattoos, or wanted one. Others are, of course, perfectly entitled to make different aesthetic choices. But the picture posted above, and now deleted, of a young man with a shaven head and elaborate tattoos all over his face leads me to think about some of the statements that have been made in this thread.

Lots of people are suggesting that the stigma associated with tattoos is a thing of the past. Yet others are saying that there's no problem with tattoos as long as one can hide them under clothes. These statements are contradictory. If tattoos are no longer stigmatised, if we think they are OK and simply a matter of personal taste, then the heavily-tattooed face and neck are fine, right? Nobody will judge this guy by the choice he has made, right?

I think not.

Last edited by chasm54; 03-20-13 at 04:07 PM.
Old 03-20-13, 04:10 PM
Hydrate
2 Wheels > 4

Bikes: Just one more

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
WOW the tattoo are on there arms easaly covered by a shirt for any job interview if so desired. But lets face it, all this judging by people would mean they could also be judging on hair style, color, what type of jewlery you wear or do not wear, do you wear glasses what style are they what kind of clothes you wear it really never stops
Thats why its a good thing if you really dont give a f--k what others think about you we all have likes dislikes quirks thats what makes life so intersting.
Nice Tattoos there yours for you I think its great ride often ride free
The diffrence between tattoed people and non-tattooed people, Tattoed people really dont care that you dont have a tattoo
Old 03-20-13, 04:11 PM
InTheRain

I deleted the picture because I noticed that it had a "copyright"
Old 03-20-13, 04:19 PM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by InTheRain
I deleted the picture because I noticed that it had a "copyright"
No problem, I think the point is easy to understand. Three things:

1: Anyone who thinks others don't judge them by appearances is hopelessly naive. They are right to think it shouldn't happen, but foolish to imagine it doesn't.

2. Fashions often look foolish twenty years on.

3. If people don't want to hear contrary opinions, it's best not to post on internet forums

Last edited by chasm54; 03-20-13 at 04:33 PM.
Old 03-20-13, 08:07 PM
tergal

Bikes: Trek 4300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by psalm
Tattoos are cool, I know, I have a few myself. That being said, I heard a saying a long time ago and it's stuck with me. Put them where the judge can't see them.
Always liked that saying,

I would never get a tat , but it is a personal choice . So +1 for doing something with you son
Old 03-20-13, 08:14 PM
tergal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chasm54
Personally I have never liked tattoos, or wanted one. Others are, of course, perfectly entitled to make different aesthetic choices. But the picture posted above, and now deleted, of a young man with a shaven head and elaborate tattoos all over his face leads me to think about some of the statements that have been made in this thread.

Lots of people are suggesting that the stigma associated with tattoos is a thing of the past. Yet others are saying that there's no problem with tattoos as long as one can hide them under clothes. These statements are contradictory. If tattoos are no longer stigmatised, if we think they are OK and simply a matter of personal taste, then the heavily-tattooed face and neck are fine, right? Nobody will judge this guy by the choice he has made, right?

I think not.
I think the stigma of tattoos being dirty and performed in dirty shops is passing, but on a professional workplace level it is still up to the employ to present him self for the job . You don't go the work unshaven yet there isn't a stigma against beards ( i hope).
Old 03-20-13, 09:15 PM
Homeyba

Bikes: Colnago C-50, Calfee Dragonfly Tandem, Specialized Allez Pro, Peugeot Competition Light

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tergal
I think the stigma of tattoos being dirty and performed in dirty shops is passing, but on a professional workplace level it is still up to the employ to present him self for the job . You don't go the work unshaven yet there isn't a stigma against beards ( i hope).
There probably is but don't you dare point out that people still judge others or you will be accused of judging others yourself (even though you never actually gave an opinion on tattoos in the workplace) but I'm sure those accusing others of judging never judge others themselves.
Old 03-20-13, 09:45 PM
tergal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Homeyba
There probably is but don't you dare point out that people still judge others or you will be accused of judging others yourself (even though you never actually gave an opinion on tattoos in the workplace) but I'm sure those accusing others of judging never judge others themselves.
On tats in workplaces, doesn't bother me i never even noticed one of my work mates has one up the side of his neck .

The only thing i don't like on people is piercing , and that is more because of my wus factor than anything

Thinking about it, my nan has a tat on her left ankle !!! bloody old rebel people . whats the saying? Punks don't die they just smell like it
Old 03-21-13, 01:00 AM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by Homeyba
Yes, its interesting how we are informed in one post that people with tattoos never form negative opinions on those of us who lack ink, and in another post we are called "Puritans" and told to "get back in our time machines."

Old 03-21-13, 01:08 AM
tergal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Neil_B
and in another post we are called "Puritans" and told to "get back in our time machines."

Not sure if you are referring to my post
Old 03-21-13, 01:16 AM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by tergal
Not sure if you are referring to my post
Nah, wasn't you.

Old 03-21-13, 01:19 AM
tergal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nah, wasn't you.
Good, i think old people are a curiosity that should be preserved in a jar , like pickles

Kidding
Old 03-21-13, 03:50 AM
OiS

Bikes: 2010 Trek Madone 6.9 Project One Livestrong, Single Speed "Tokyo Bike", BH 29'er, Trek California Cruiser Classic Springer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
By "beat" do you mean strike the child or crush their soul in a time trial?
Naturally it ought to be the later! (If you can!!! )

In terms of the Tattoos, in my opinion (not asked for I know, but given freely, even without charge!), I think it is very cool, but who cares, the main thing is that you AND your son both think it is cool, and that is GREAT!

Will people judge you, or your boy? Hell YES! Everyone will judge you, your son, and EVERYONE else based on their own preferences and prejudices, some favourably, some not so favourably, and most of it nothing to do with tattoos at all. I'm sure people will read this and judge me because I insist that "favourable" should have a "u" in it!
Old 03-21-13, 03:57 AM
contango 
2 Fat 2 Furious

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport RIP

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by shadoman
Nice design. I like the Canadian Maple Leaf/Fire motif.

Not a very reputable shop though, if you could convince him to break the law. He could lose his license and/or go to jail.
And on the forearm ? Junior can say goodbye to about 75% of any decent jobs in his future.
Forearm isn't a problem, just wear a long sleeved shirt to work. Anywhere informal enough to wear short sleeves is informal enough to have a tattoo.

I worked with guys in investment banking who had tattoos, just far enough up their arms that you wouldn't see them when wearing formal dress. Had I not hung out with them at the weekend when they were wearing T-shirts I'd never have known about them.
Old 03-21-13, 04:00 AM
tmeisky

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker 700c w/ Tiagra Conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This thread is a riot. Thanks for the entertainment. Really. I consider collecting tattoos my main hobby and passion above all else (including bicycling). I travel the country to get work made by the best of the best. (I have an amazing job btw) I also consider myself a completely 100% non judgemental person no matter what the issue. I have always said if someone doesn't want to hire because of my tattoos then I probably wouldn't want the job anyway. If someone old young black white green wants to look down on me for ANY of my choices, tattoos included, I probably would benefit from or enjoy their company anyway. There is a seat for every a**. I think this is all slightly hypocritical coming from the group who pines for universal acceptance the most. I realize I'm no one in this circle and if this is general vibe than it might be better that way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.