Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Tried my first metric century...and failed :(

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Tried my first metric century...and failed :(

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-13, 05:24 AM
contango 
2 Fat 2 Furious

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport RIP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cdonges
Tried to do my first metric century yesterday. The plan was to ride 70km to my old hometown, then 30km out to the local lake and back. But by the time I had done the 70, my legs were done. Hopefully I will be fitter/stronger/lighter next time I try and I can make it.

https://app.strava.com/activities/48253137

The other road users were really nice and left heaps of room when overtaking. I have two flats. I think next time I will take some co2 as well as a pump.

All up it took me 4 hours at 17km/h.
You might have fallen short of your goal but you needn't regard it as an outright fail. 70km is a respectable distance to ride on a mountain bike, especially if it's a new personal best. Pick yourself up, keep training, and try again. Next time around if you feel particularly tired sometimes it can help to just take a few minutes break, get some calories down you and then press on. I remember a ride I did with some friends where I was really struggling with hills right from the beginning and honestly didn't think I'd have the legs for the big hill of the day. We were taking turns driving the support car and my turn came right before the big hill, so after parking I ate a bunch of peanuts and jelly beans and then got up the hill faster than my riding buddies could manage.

My wife attempted a 100k last year, got to about 80k and had to bail because her knees were causing her a lot of pain. She was gutted at having to quit the ride but a few months later we did another one and she completed it with plenty left in the tank. Even though she didn't make her 100k the first time the 80k she did was a new personal best by a fair margin, and the conditions were so bad it was quite an achievement for her to get that far in the first place.

I was going to go around this corner so much faster than 90kph but since I saw this sign I slowed down.
That's your problem, if you'd kept your speed up you could have freewheeled for the last 30k
Old 04-12-13, 05:32 AM
cdonges

Bikes: Mongoose Crossway 250, Giant Upland SE

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do have reasonably smooth tires on my mountain bike, not the regular nobblies.
Old 04-12-13, 06:58 AM
goldfinch

Bikes: Norco Search, Terry Classic, Serotta Classique, Trek Cali carbon hardtail, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate, Giant Cadex

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I do have reasonably smooth tires on my mountain bike, not the regular nobblies.
You can get fairly narrow tires on most mountain bikes. I put 1.5 inch tires on my spouse's mountain bike and it made a huge difference.
Old 04-12-13, 10:01 AM
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No such thing as failure... always consider it a learning experience and training for the next time.

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Old 04-12-13, 10:47 AM
ZManT

Bikes: 2010 Trek FX 7.2, 2006 Felt F80

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No failure
much win
Old 04-12-13, 12:18 PM
Telly
What, me worry?

Bikes: Corratec / Jamis

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Congrats man, you certainly didn't fail in my book!
Old 04-13-13, 01:19 AM
AWB

Bikes: 2013 Reid Aquila, 2013 Reid X126

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congrats on your ride!

70km is certainly a great ride, and you finished it on a MTB, I wish I could do that on my road bike!

You even had your own support vehicle, how cool is that!
Old 04-13-13, 01:22 AM
cdonges

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My wife and daughter dropped me off at the start point and then dropped some bags with food/water at agreed spots by the side of the road and waited for me at the end. How awesome are they?
Old 04-13-13, 05:42 AM
mdphoto

Bikes: Trek H2 APEX, Trek Cross Rip, Gary Fisher Tassajara, Bianchi Alfana

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is no way that your ride could even be considered a failure. First off you got on the bike to attempt a significant ride and you rode it to a point of setting a new goal for yourself. So many say "I'm going to...." and never do but you got out there and did it. As many have already mentioned you far exceeded what many of us could do on your mountain bike so Congrats on this accomplishment.
Old 04-13-13, 05:57 AM
Wooden Tiger

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale Flash Alloy 2 (mountain bike), 2010 Schwinn Paramount Series 7 (road bike)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ChargerDawg
Reward yourself by getting a road bike, or at least road tires. You will be amazed.
+1 on the hybrid tires! Just putting hybrid tires on your bike will make WORLDS of difference! I HIGHLY recommend Continental "Town & Country" tires if you have a 26er and most DEFINITELY recommend Continental "Tour RIDEs" if you have a 29er. I have nothing but EXCELLENT things to say about both of these tires! I've owned both and I've used both. I am not exaggerating when I tell you that with my Continental "Tour RIDES" my MTB is just as fast as my road bike on the pavement. They are not only fast on the road but they are very puncture resistant, which is a plus.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say this much; by going with a good hybrid tire for your MTB, it will have you could easily second-guess ever needing a road bike. By upgrading to these tires on my MTB, I will honestly say that the performance of the MTB on street kind of renders my roadie useless. Simply put, I'm faster on the MTB with hybrids than I am on the roadie.

Originally Posted by Astrozombie
Wait a minute here, i'm much lighter than you TC, have slicks and bike shorts, did you have the shorts? I'm going to swap out the fork, but the most I've done is about 70km as well, DOH!!
The kicker is i've been riding for over a year and never really pushed myself! That's really impressive with knobbies i have to say.
The thing is you start to get zapped and think you have nothing left, with water and food you can catch a second wind.(It's weird how that happens about 3-4 hours into a ride)
I'm going to try my metric really soon.
With a roadie you would have made it for sure
I couldn't agree more! Amazing how a few good swigs of water really give a boost; nitrous oxide for the soul!
Old 04-13-13, 07:20 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Good effort...keep on riding (safely of course).
Old 04-23-13, 09:59 AM
Push
Zeusmeatball

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Nomade Sprint, 1988 Specialized Rockhopper comp, 1991 Schwinn Crisscross, 2009 K2 Zed 3.2, 2011 Trek X-Caliber Gary Fisher collection

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Awesome man, like others have said its not a failure at all! keep those pedals turning.
Old 04-23-13, 10:53 AM
WonderMonkey

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale Quick 5, 2014 Raleigh Revenio 2.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 36 Posts
I'm going to try a metric century here in a few weeks. I know for certain I have not built up to it so I may not make it as well. You can call it "fail" if you want and I'm the same way but what that words means is up to you. If you see it as "I failed but I'm not all depressed about it" then you can use the word "fail". I do as well. If you get down about it then use a different word.

I use the word "fail" here and there in a "I failed for sure but next time I may or may not". It's all in the meaning you attach to it.
Old 04-23-13, 11:33 AM
skilsaw

Bikes: Cannondale t1, Koga-Miyata World Traveller

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Build up to it. You will be there before you know it.

Don't listen to the guys that say you need a road bike.
It is the engine not the bike.
But if you have knobby tires, some smooth tires would make a big difference.

Don't put yourself down.
Practice doing 50 km.
Tank up with water before you go, and drink lots on the ride.
Eat about a powerbar per hour.

Track your progress.

My son is a triathlon coach, and this is what he tells his athletes.
Old 04-23-13, 05:50 PM
tergal

Bikes: Trek 4300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
70kms on a MTB !!! .... and you failed how ?

Where about in Australia are you ? if you don't mind giving out the info
Old 04-23-13, 06:26 PM
cdonges

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tergal
70kms on a MTB !!! .... and you failed how ?

Where about in Australia are you ? if you don't mind giving out the info
I am more a commuter than a long distance rider. Probably should have done more prep than 10km trips to work and one 40km ride. Will give it another try another day.

I live in Toowoomba, Queensland. I wanted to ride into Inglewood, Queensland because of this long story... 17 months ago I told my dad that I was thinking about riding again and he offered me his old hybrid bike. It was an ok bike but the tires were crumbling so I asked if he wanted to give me new tires for Christmas. He did and when I opened them on Christmas day my grandma made a snarky comment that I would never use them. She was kind of right because I had spoke issues with the hybrid so I got a mountain bike with different size wheels but she was kind of wrong because I have done over 2000km since. She lives in Inglewood so I wanted to do the long ride there to show her how wrong she was.
Old 04-23-13, 06:32 PM
cdonges

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WonderMonkey
I'm going to try a metric century here in a few weeks. I know for certain I have not built up to it so I may not make it as well. You can call it "fail" if you want and I'm the same way but what that words means is up to you. If you see it as "I failed but I'm not all depressed about it" then you can use the word "fail". I do as well. If you get down about it then use a different word.

I use the word "fail" here and there in a "I failed for sure but next time I may or may not". It's all in the meaning you attach to it.
I am not too disappointed. I made it the 72km to Inglewood, and that was my first goal. I should have had some lunch and then pushed myself to get out there again, but maybe next time.
Old 04-23-13, 06:48 PM
tergal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am more a commuter than a long distance rider. Probably should have done more prep than 10km trips to work and one 40km ride. Will give it another try another day.

I live in Toowoomba, Queensland. I wanted to ride into Inglewood, Queensland because of this long story... 17 months ago I told my dad that I was thinking about riding again and he offered me his old hybrid bike. It was an ok bike but the tires were crumbling so I asked if he wanted to give me new tires for Christmas. He did and when I opened them on Christmas day my grandma made a snarky comment that I would never use them. She was kind of right because I had spoke issues with the hybrid so I got a mountain bike with different size wheels but she was kind of wrong because I have done over 2000km since. She lives in Inglewood so I wanted to do the long ride there to show her how wrong she was.
I live down in Logan , i knew those roads where familiar was up in Toowoomba a few weeks ago in the car , passing though to head out to leyburn

Have to get up there to go for a ride with you one day , i ride a MTB and commute to work as well Makes going to work worth it .
Old 04-23-13, 06:59 PM
WonderMonkey

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale Quick 5, 2014 Raleigh Revenio 2.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Wooden Tiger
+1 on the hybrid tires! Just putting hybrid tires on your bike will make WORLDS of difference! I HIGHLY recommend Continental "Town & Country" tires if you have a 26er and most DEFINITELY recommend Continental "Tour RIDEs" if you have a 29er. I have nothing but EXCELLENT things to say about both of these tires! I've owned both and I've used both. I am not exaggerating when I tell you that with my Continental "Tour RIDES" my MTB is just as fast as my road bike on the pavement. They are not only fast on the road but they are very puncture resistant, which is a plus.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say this much; by going with a good hybrid tire for your MTB, it will have you could easily second-guess ever needing a road bike. By upgrading to these tires on my MTB, I will honestly say that the performance of the MTB on street kind of renders my roadie useless. Simply put, I'm faster on the MTB with hybrids than I am on the roadie.

I couldn't agree more! Amazing how a few good swigs of water really give a boost; nitrous oxide for the soul!
I have the Continental "Town & Country" tires. I'm happy with them.
Old 04-23-13, 07:01 PM
cdonges

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live down in Logan , i knew those roads where familiar was up in Toowoomba a few weeks ago in the car , passing though to head out to leyburn

Have to get up there to go for a ride with you one day , i ride a MTB and commute to work as well Makes going to work worth it .
If you want to go for a ride in Toowoomba, this one is pretty cool, although I have never done it with the official group:

https://www.toowoombarc.qld.gov.au/co...ng-club-ride-1
Old 04-23-13, 07:04 PM
tergal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you want to go for a ride in Toowoomba, this one is pretty cool, although I have never done it with the official group:

https://www.toowoombarc.qld.gov.au/co...ng-club-ride-1

5 Bucks says i get lost and end up at crows nest !
Old 04-23-13, 07:05 PM
cdonges

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
5 Bucks says i get lost and end up at crows nest !
I am sure your legs will get tired before you make it up there
Old 04-23-13, 07:10 PM
tergal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am sure your legs will get tired before you make it up there

True . Once my bike is back at 100% i will have to try and get up there to do that ride, nice and early in the morning ... i am sure my partner will love driving me up there !!! ( no i am not riding from logan to toowoomba )
Old 04-23-13, 07:56 PM
digibud

Bikes: Spec Roubaix, three Fisher Montare, two Pugs

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
well done other than the fact that you clearly need to learn to ride on the correct side of the road
Old 04-23-13, 09:54 PM
donalson
just pedal

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, trek 560

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I will echo a ton of what the other guys have... 70km on a MTB is a BIG deal and a huge job especially with minimal support (although huge props to your family for helping out like hey did)... figure out your weakness and work on fixing it

I did my 100k a few years back on a 29er that I'd modified a bit for road use (this is a pic of me after I finished... if you can't tell I was excited)

riding with some other guys helped me out tremendously, even in the un-aero position on my MTB getting into a pace line was night and day difference... I month later I built up an older trek road bike, it had a fairly upright position to deal with my unflexable self but it was still so much more comfortable and faster to ride. Sadly I never had a chance to get it on any real long rides before I ended up having to sell it.

I'm just now getting back into riding after a few years off and hope to do another 100k this year... and perhaps the ms150 next year but that will def be on a good fitting road bike, not another converted MTB (which is what i'm riding right now)

anyway good job... use it as an encouragement and move forward with that
Attached Images
File Type: jpg