Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

People who tell you the various ways you will die

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

People who tell you the various ways you will die

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-13, 02:08 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 120 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
There's no reason to get sarcastic when family and friends wish you a safe trip. They're simply wishing you well withing the context of their world view
FB,

For a competitive rider family & friends need to be informed that one is Racing, and that one will Wreck on the way to Win and that is perfectly OK with oneself and they should incorporate that into their worldview. "Go get 'em!" is more useful to us from our supporters than "Don't fall down baby boy you'll get a boo-boo."

And getting sarcastic with all others is just good slagging off, it's part of the culture.

-Bandera

Last edited by Bandera; 05-26-13 at 02:15 PM. Reason: slagging
Old 05-26-13, 04:04 PM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by krobinson103
Whats the point of living life in bubble wrap (a lot of it at that... no exercise=fat). I could die being hit by a bus, have a stroke, have a crazy delivery guy mow me down, be hit lightning.
Lots of ways to die. Why worry about them and just get on with life?
+10
Originally Posted by -=(8)=-
Dont put your life story up on facebook
Exactly. Law enforcement has said this for some time.
Originally Posted by B. Carfree
My older sister forced her husband to stop playing friendly games of basketball among his colleagues after he sprained his ankle. "You've got a family to support. What if you get more seriously injured?" By the way, his father missed their wedding by a month after he had a fatal heart attack. Fast forward twenty-five years: My sister worked really hard to lose fifty pounds of blubber after she was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. The diabetes is gone, but I wonder if she finally understands why many of us choose to be active. I also wonder if those two bikes my brother-in-law purchased twenty-five years ago so that he and my sister could get some exercise are still in their basement.

Somewhere on these pages, I read about a couple who had been telling each other to be safe whenever one of them went out riding. They recognized the negative connotations and changed to "Tear up the Road" as a parting wish.
Your sister sounds a little like my (ex)wife. While she was never diagnosed with Diabetes. As a result of her bad eating habits and lack of exercise, her heart function was down to 35% at one point. Resulting in her needing heart surgery. She is only 46.
Originally Posted by plustax
I smile and nod and then haul ass so hard that I get flooded with feel good chemicals.
I just haul. I don't have time to smile.
Originally Posted by dreamer0891
So true! I feel safer on my bike than I do in my truck or caddy. Why? Because they go faster & give a false sense of security! I was involved in a high impact head on collision. A lady pulled out in front of my truck when I was too close to the intersection. I breaked & left 10 feet of skid marks. I was just too close to avert it.

But being on a bike- it makes on pay attention. At least it does for me. That lady felt too safe in her care & forgot to look. But for me- I *KNOW* I'm the"small guy." I have to be alert to everything. I look forward- near and far. I also use my periphial vision. A tiny chihuahua would take me & my bike down. That's why I pay attention to the sides. I know how to just barely tilt my head to the side. It allows me to hear behind me as I cut through the wibd. If I keep my gead perfectly straight then it is harder to hear. I. also pay attention to how the road feels.

What do I do in my vehicles? Yes. Sure. I pay attention- but not nearly as much. Radio is on. Thinking about getting to work on time. Don't get me wrong- I'm not a bad driver. I have never caused a wreck. But I think being on a bike causes a person to be more alert!
I also feel safer on my bike. My family can't understand why...go figure.
Old 05-26-13, 04:25 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,538 Times in 1,047 Posts
This thread is about posters who either get offended from innocuous terms of courtesy or conversely would prefer to give obnoxious sarcastic responses to same.

Note: Being a "competitive rider" is no excuse for being a clod.
Old 05-26-13, 04:25 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,590 Times in 1,436 Posts
Originally Posted by Bandera
FB,

For a competitive rider family & friends need to be informed that one is Racing, and that one will Wreck on the way to Win and that is perfectly OK with oneself and they should incorporate that into their worldview. "Go get 'em!" is more useful to us from our supporters than "Don't fall down baby boy you'll get a boo-boo."

And getting sarcastic with all others is just good slagging off, it's part of the culture.

-Bandera
If you read the second paragraph of the post you quoted, I mentioned that serious concerns among family and friends had to be resolved through discussion to preserve peace and harmony.

My nephew is a surgeon, and commutes by bike 9 miles in daily, often coming home in the dark, and sometimes the rain where conditions are poor. His wife doesn't like it, and has expressed concern, but he's convinced that he rides carefully and the risk is reasonable, and she's come to accept it the same way a cop's wife accepts those risks. He knows his wife isn't thrilled about the bike commute, and she knows that he knows, but it's been moved so far down the list of marital and family issues that it doesn't come up.

OTOH, he and I don't discuss close calls and other issues in her presence.

Likewise I scuba dive, and some family keep asking me about sharks, which is something I easily deflect. Fortunately they don't know, and I don't bring up, that my cave dive is much more unforgiving (I don't say hazardous, because I feel the risks are well managed) so we don't have to get overly involved where I don't want to be.

If family and friends are seriously cancerned about your riding, remind them of all the other things you could be doing instead, so that cycling and recing competitively seem tame by comparison.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 05-26-13, 04:33 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,590 Times in 1,436 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
This thread is about posters who either get offended from innocuous terms of courtesy or conversely would prefer to give obnoxious sarcastic responses to same.

Not necessarily and yes in that order.

I don't know if people are overly sensitive about the sentiments of well wishers, or have had to deal with serious family issues because of misconceptions about risk. If your family is seriously concerned, it has to be dealt with lest it become a source of friction. Fear is an emotional response, and often doesn't respond to logic, but is very real to the person who feels it.

Ignoring it or responding sarcastically does nobody any good.

As for people who have no right to worry about you, if you can't bring yourself to say thank you or otherwise respond positively, say nothing and move on.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 05-26-13, 07:06 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 120 Posts
[QUOTE=FBinNY;15670107 I mentioned that serious concerns among family and friends had to be resolved through discussion to preserve peace and harmony.[/QUOTE]

FB,

My family has never been big on either peace or harmony but are (somewhat) receptive to understanding that some of us race bicycles and some of us do really interesting and challenging things instead. They are informed without discussion about what we adults are up to and expected to deal with it like adults, same for friends. Hand wringing and winging about "the possible" are not allowed, we are sturdy folk.

Hearty support is what I expect, even when I'm off the back. "Go get 'em!" Thanks granny.

Uninformed "people" with un-called for "safety opinions" on cycle racing are traditionally treated with a mixture of humor/scorn/derision/slagging by our teammates. I'm sure the OP will develop his own style in time if folk would get off his back and let him get on with it.
Find a good team OP and don't expect anyone else to understand. OP should have posted this in "The 33".

"responding sarcastically does nobody any good"

You've never been on a training ride with our lot, to the rude insufferable ruffians & clods that they are sarcasm is poetry as is going very fast. Never asked if a potential teammate was polite, a serious sprint would be good.

I didn't know that I was posting in the Safety Forum, but if scuba divers are here.......good.

Last edited by Bandera; 05-26-13 at 07:35 PM.
Old 05-26-13, 08:14 PM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Statistically, riding will result in you living longer. But people are bad at understanding risk and feel better about dying slowly over the course of 50 years than the possibility of dying suddenly.
Old 05-27-13, 02:47 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
"With racing, do you have to face people"
If you're not very good at it you have to, just in the wrong direction.
Old 05-27-13, 02:48 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Originally Posted by ItsJustMe
Statistically, riding will result in you living longer. But people are bad at understanding risk and feel better about dying slowly over the course of 50 years than the possibility of dying suddenly.
Causation might be time-consuming but the actual event is instantaneous.
Old 05-27-13, 02:50 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Originally Posted by i-like-to-bike
this thread is about posters who either get offended from innocuous terms of courtesy or conversely would prefer to give obnoxious sarcastic responses to same.

Amen.
Old 05-27-13, 09:16 AM
plumberroy

Bikes: Surly long haul trucker, Surly steamroller,Huffy Catalina, Univega Alpina 501. Gravity deadeye monster, Raliegh sport , Electra loft 1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 181 Posts
About the only time I was severely annoyed was when an older lady riding a high end tadpole recumbent I encountered on a mup told me I needed a helmet . I politely informed her I am over 21 and the level of safety equipment I choose to use was my choice.
Old 05-27-13, 10:41 AM
ka0use

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
i guess i have been blessed- only had one debbie downer. was in a long john silver's w/ no waitstaff. the busser lady saw my helmet and started in with 'you should never ride a motorcycle. they're unsafe'...on and on. finally told her i was on a bicycle and without missing a beat she starts repeating everything like a parrot (no offence to parrots), substituting 'bicycle' for motorcycle'.
ruined my meal.
i wonder what her 'life' was like. sit at home, fearful of moving and going out? surely she wasn't watching tv, it can make your eyes go bad, not to mention (but gonna, anyway!) the negative things she would be seeing, particularly on the news.

i wear a helmet mostly for sun protection (uv rays are unsafe ya know). my hair is......thinning. down to about three strands. haven't counted lately. seems pointless. hats don't want to stay on.
Old 05-27-13, 02:07 PM
spare_wheel

Bikes: NA

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
bless your heart, i like to bike.

PS: false concern is not courtesy.
Old 05-27-13, 02:34 PM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
Look people like that in the eye and say, "You can live your life in fear, do nothing because if it, and you'll still die, just like me. I'll have more fun."
Old 05-27-13, 05:24 PM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Another thought is, they have been watching too much of the cable show '1000 Ways To Die'.
Old 05-27-13, 06:04 PM
tergal

Bikes: Trek 4300

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Most of my family these days just say "ride safe" . I prefer this as i just see it as a reminder to not be a idiot when out on the road .

They all know i do 3 am rides for fun and think i am a tad loopy, but they also accept that it is no more dangerous than riding in a car at 3am
Old 05-27-13, 06:09 PM
RobertHurst

Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Only a cat gets to die in various ways.
Old 05-27-13, 08:26 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 942 Times in 504 Posts
I tried to read the entire opening post, but quit because I was afraid I was going to die before I finished it.
Old 05-27-13, 08:34 PM
koolerb

Bikes: CAAD 12, ROS 9+, and some others

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
I just nod, and maybe say thank you and move on.
+1
Old 05-28-13, 01:06 AM
digibud

Bikes: Spec Roubaix, three Fisher Montare, two Pugs

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I used to be a full time hang glider pilot. Did it for several years. I can go on for a longgg time listing many, many activities that are more eye opening thank biking. Frankly, I consider biking very dangerous and have been hurt pretty badly, more than once, but biking injuries thus far haven't been life threatening.
Old 05-28-13, 12:33 PM
dreamer0891

Bikes: A FUJI!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris516
+10

Exactly. Law enforcement has said this for some time.

Your sister sounds a little like my (ex)wife. While she was never diagnosed with Diabetes. As a result of her bad eating habits and lack of exercise, her heart function was down to 35% at one point. Resulting in her needing heart surgery. She is only 46.

I just haul. I don't have time to smile.

I also feel safer on my bike. My family can't understand why...go figure.
Again, I do not think that writing that I had a good ride does not constitute writing my life story on Facebook.
Old 05-28-13, 12:34 PM
dreamer0891

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
I tried to read the entire opening post, but quit because I was afraid I was going to die before I finished it.
HAHAHAHA! That's great! AND! I even ran into more of these people who let others know about all of the threats of an active life style after I wrote the post! This time in regards to kayaking.
Old 05-28-13, 12:35 PM
dreamer0891

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RobertHurst
Only a cat gets to die in various ways.
I will have to say this to people when they tell me about all the things that could go wrong! Thanks!
Old 05-28-13, 12:36 PM
dreamer0891

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mconlonx
Look people like that in the eye and say, "You can live your life in fear, do nothing because if it, and you'll still die, just like me. I'll have more fun."
Brilliant! Thanks sir!
Old 05-28-13, 12:38 PM
dreamer0891

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A real sociopath would creep up to them and slaughter them in the middle of the night ( Hah!) but it sounds like you are not a track sprinter so either tell "people" to p_ss off, avoid them or have them on a bit. Might as well enjoy yanking the chain of the timid is my vote.

-Bandera
LMAO! Ya. Maybe I should have fun with it a bit!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.