Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Personal best - 50 miles under 3 hours

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-13, 08:44 PM
Chitown_Mike
That guy from the Chi

Bikes: 88 Trek 800 - gone to new cheeks; '14 Trek 1.2 - aka The X1 Advanced; '13 Trek 3500 Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

So I set out today to go for a 50 miler (SOLO) with the goal of doing it under 3 hours (moving time). I am determined to ride the Sub 5 Century next year and I want to push myself this summer and train over the winter to do it. So I wanted to give myself a base line since my last 50 mile ride this year was an organized ride and at a not too screaming pace I got it done in 3 hours and 40-ish minutes.

So today I was coming up on 3 hours and with a leg that I just stretched a cramp out of, ran out of water, and was ready to be done I had just under 3 minutes to go the remaining mile. So what does one do in such sad shape? SPRINT THAT! I rolled up at the back of my place at 3:00:01 and come to find out I went 51.9 miles in that time frame. HEHE.....averaged 17.29 mph moving speed, and I only took with stops about 3:15:00 if even that (my phone quit on me regards to recording my ride).

So that gives me a decent base line for this season and will use that to improve upon.

Oh and this is on the 36 lbs steel lugged frame Schwinn you see listed in my sig. I had several comments made by clubs as I went past, nothing mean spirited but they all seemed surprised I was clicking along at the pace I was for "an old relic"
Old 06-16-13, 08:51 PM
volosong

Bikes: n + 1

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
Well done! With the hills and wind in my area, I can only ride like that in my dreams.
Old 06-16-13, 08:52 PM
Chitown_Mike
That guy from the Chi

Bikes: 88 Trek 800 - gone to new cheeks; '14 Trek 1.2 - aka The X1 Advanced; '13 Trek 3500 Disc

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by volosong
Well done! With the hills and wind in my area, I can only ride like that in my dreams.
No hills but plenty of windy in this area, just rather light today so I won out.
Old 06-16-13, 09:24 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 912 Times in 275 Posts
sweet!! I always strive for that time/mile too...I always have hills and always have wind so time doesn't always play nice
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Old 06-18-13, 07:53 PM
DoninIN

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congrats! It's always great to hit your targets, exceed them.
Old 06-18-13, 08:03 PM
gyozadude

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-1, 600, T700, MB-6 w/ Dirt Drops, MB-Zip, Bianchi Limited, Nashbar Hounder

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very nice! That's some power output you performed for that one!
Old 06-18-13, 08:11 PM
bbeasley
Cat 5 field stuffer

Bikes: Wabi Lightning RE, Wabi Classic

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Wow that's great! 17.9 for 50, strong. Keep training and pushing that pace!
Old 06-19-13, 12:33 AM
mrkm

Bikes: 2005 Norco Wolverine, 2013 Surly Disc Trucker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's fantastic, congratulations. That's a goal I strive towards for sure- far from it now, but slowly building up.
Old 06-19-13, 02:05 AM
bigfred 

Bikes: More than 1, but, less than S-1

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Kudos to you! Well done.
Old 06-19-13, 02:51 AM
contango 
2 Fat 2 Furious

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport RIP

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Nice one... round here it's hard to maintain much speed because of the traffic and endless junctions. Good effort!
Old 06-19-13, 08:31 AM
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Never in my wildest! Great effort!

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Old 06-19-13, 02:58 PM
Null66

Bikes: Built up DT, 2007 Fuji tourer (donor bike, RIP), 1995 1220 Trek

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Awesome!
Old 06-19-13, 04:06 PM
stevenlsmith87

Bikes: NONE

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Awesome!!! I have yet to brave riding 50 miles....heck....I have yet to do 20. Congrats on the ride!!
Old 06-20-13, 03:30 PM
MikeRides

Bikes: Trek 1.1

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Congratulations! I'm currently working up to my first 50 mile ride, hopefully to be completed in less than three hours, but I'm a slow rider so that won't happen for awhile.
Old 06-29-13, 06:40 PM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Dude, you are awesome! Someday I will achieve speeds of this magnitude.

Old 06-29-13, 07:13 PM
kc0bbq

Bikes: 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2.0, 2016 Trek Emonda ALR 6, 2015 Propel Advanced SL 2, 2000 K2 Zed SE

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congratulations!

I may have made a sub 3 hour 50, 51.1 in 3:01:20. It's close. You're that much better of a human being than me!
Old 06-30-13, 01:59 PM
Chitown_Mike
That guy from the Chi

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz
Dude, you are awesome! Someday I will achieve speeds of this magnitude.

You totally just wanted to use the thumb, I understand.
Old 06-30-13, 02:25 PM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
I can do 30 miles in 2 hours, but not 45 in 3. Awesome job, now I have an aiming point.....................
Old 06-30-13, 02:30 PM
longbeachgary

Bikes: Eddy Merckx San Remo 76, Eddy Merckx San Remo 76 - Black Silver and Red, Eddy Merckx Sallanches 64 (2); Eddy Merckx MXL;

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Chitown_Mike
So I set out today to go for a 50 miler (SOLO) with the goal of doing it under 3 hours (moving time). I am determined to ride the Sub 5 Century next year and I want to push myself this summer and train over the winter to do it. So I wanted to give myself a base line since my last 50 mile ride this year was an organized ride and at a not too screaming pace I got it done in 3 hours and 40-ish minutes.

So today I was coming up on 3 hours and with a leg that I just stretched a cramp out of, ran out of water, and was ready to be done I had just under 3 minutes to go the remaining mile. So what does one do in such sad shape? SPRINT THAT! I rolled up at the back of my place at 3:00:01 and come to find out I went 51.9 miles in that time frame. HEHE.....averaged 17.29 mph moving speed, and I only took with stops about 3:15:00 if even that (my phone quit on me regards to recording my ride).

So that gives me a decent base line for this season and will use that to improve upon.

Oh and this is on the 36 lbs steel lugged frame Schwinn you see listed in my sig. I had several comments made by clubs as I went past, nothing mean spirited but they all seemed surprised I was clicking along at the pace I was for "an old relic"
Well done.
Old 06-30-13, 02:50 PM
Condorita
Grammar Cop

Bikes: in my sig line

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
But what did you see? (See my sig line.)
Old 06-30-13, 03:05 PM
digibud

Bikes: Spec Roubaix, three Fisher Montare, two Pugs

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
50 mi in three hours? That's NOTHING ! At least it's nothing if you are a pro or a serious 20yr old cyclist in great shape. Personally I doubt I'll ever pull it off so HUGE congrats!
Old 06-30-13, 03:37 PM
MikeRides

Bikes: Trek 1.1

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
OP, one thing you didn't mention was what size (if any) hills did you climb and if the wind direction was in your favor during this 50 miler?

I just got back from a 35 mile ride, which I completed in 2 hours and 45 minutes, mostly flat but with headwind the whole way. I would have been faster but the last five miles or so I ran out of water (the one time I decided to go on a long ride without my camelback!) and it was 95 degrees so I think I was starting to get dehydrated towards the "finish line". I like setting goals for myself, whether its related to weight loss, biking, or life in general. I started out with one biking goal, being a 50 mile finale to complete by the end of the summer - Now it seems like just completing 50 miles isn't enough, but I would like to complete it within three hours.
Old 07-01-13, 07:30 AM
Chitown_Mike
That guy from the Chi

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Condorita
But what did you see? (See my sig line.)
Blurred trees and yellow lines

Actually I ride the same trail all the time and so there really isn't much to "see" persay, I grew up riding the trail so there really isn't anything new or enjoyable in regards to that. I did watch an unfortunate gentleman get target fixated on the side of the trail when he ended up off the trail in the grass. Short distance later and he was face first into the ground. He got up and refused any help despite my pleas.

At the beginning of my ride I got to watch a small herd of deer prance across the path, and pass my raccoon friend at the same spot in the trail I see him at usually. And also the ambulance working on a fellow cyclist who I am guessing bonked real hard since there wasn't any indication of an accident and where he was at was a place I have seen several other people bonk.

I guess I am a bit too fidgety to ride slow, however next year there will be plenty of slow rides. Can't ride fast with a youngster in a trailer!

Originally Posted by MikeRides
OP, one thing you didn't mention was what size (if any) hills did you climb and if the wind direction was in your favor during this 50 miler?

I just got back from a 35 mile ride, which I completed in 2 hours and 45 minutes, mostly flat but with headwind the whole way. I would have been faster but the last five miles or so I ran out of water (the one time I decided to go on a long ride without my camelback!) and it was 95 degrees so I think I was starting to get dehydrated towards the "finish line". I like setting goals for myself, whether its related to weight loss, biking, or life in general. I started out with one biking goal, being a 50 mile finale to complete by the end of the summer - Now it seems like just completing 50 miles isn't enough, but I would like to complete it within three hours.
Mike, in Chicago "hills" are a foreign word. I maybe had 500 ft over that entire distance of rise and fall, however I had to tango with a NW wind that was about 5-10 MPH on a mostly direct north trail so going up it was hard, coming back was a little easier but the way the trail runs it creates a "wind tunnel" in spots and I might as well have been heading into the wind. So I know my times would be way off if let's say I tried a Cali trail like the GMR or something. However I plan on getting a chance to ride some mountains when the money is there to travel in the near future.
Old 07-01-13, 07:33 AM
Chitown_Mike
That guy from the Chi

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by digibud
50 mi in three hours? That's NOTHING ! At least it's nothing if you are a pro or a serious 20yr old cyclist in great shape. Personally I doubt I'll ever pull it off so HUGE congrats!
Does it make sense I am a 29 year old cyclist? Hehe.....For at least another 6 months or so. And thanks!
Old 07-01-13, 07:56 PM
digibud

Bikes: Spec Roubaix, three Fisher Montare, two Pugs

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Enjoy the next 6 months because you'll become suddenly slow and lethargic on your 30th birthday.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.