Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bringing Your Bike Inside Stores Coffee Shops Etc

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bringing Your Bike Inside Stores Coffee Shops Etc

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-14, 01:47 PM
Hangtownmatt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do I detect a bit of reverse beater-bike snobbery and a lack of ability to see outside of one's own box in a few of these posts? Not everyone rides their bicycle from home to the grocery store, hardware store, etc. I for instance, commute on my bicycle partway and dirve my car part way. I live out in the country and work in the city. Am I supposed to ride my beater 35 miles RT so that I can lock it up outside? I think not. Often times comming home I'll need to stop at Safeway, Home Depot and other businesses. Whether I'm on the cycling or driving portion of the commute I always bring my bicycle in. If I have to leave it locked up outside or on my car I won't do business there ... or I'll shop at another time. I've had very few issues, but I do use common sense. For instance, I've had my bike in Starbuck's and Karen's Bakery, but not during their rush hours. Yesterday, after reading this thread, I rode to my local True Value Hardware. I've only been in there a couple times with my bicycle so I asked the owner if they had a policy against bringing bikes into the store. He said, "Absolutely not, As long as you are wearing a shirt you are welcomed to shop."

Matt
Old 06-01-14, 02:13 PM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Well...the OP was about bringing the bike in to a store, not prancing around in your kit. I assume if you're out on a ride and need to stop to buy some drinks, a snack or whatever, you're not going to have clothes to change in to so will be going into the establishment in your kit and cycling shoes (since shirt & shoes are the usual requirement, assuming of course you're wearing pants). If you are embarrassed about this or think other patrons may find it objectionable, so be it. I'm not and don't. Bringing the bike in is a separate issue. I'm not embarrassed or shy about that either.
Old 06-01-14, 02:16 PM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Bikes: 2015 Trek 1.1, 2021 Specialized Roubaix, 2022 Tern HSD S+

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Orchestra
I had to take my bike into Safeway today, I originally planned to lock it outside but they didn't have a bike rack located in the front of the store and all the poles were too short to lock up to. So I simply strolled it in grabbed what I needed to grab and left. I was prepared to be told to park it outside but other then a few looks no one gave me any issues.
IMO, that should be the case. A bicycle doesn't take as much space as a shopping cart.

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
Old 06-01-14, 07:30 PM
J.C. Koto
apocryphal sobriquet

Bikes: 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker "The Truckerino"

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Orchestra
I had to take my bike into Safeway today, I originally planned to lock it outside but they didn't have a bike rack located in the front of the store and all the poles were too short to lock up to. So I simply strolled it in grabbed what I needed to grab and left. I was prepared to be told to park it outside but other then a few looks no one gave me any issues.
Get yourself one o' these bad boys and you'll never need to park your bike outside the store again:

Problem solved!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
shopping-cart-bike1.jpg (24.9 KB, 33 views)
Old 06-01-14, 07:56 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
By the usual 10-20% cost of lock rule, you should budget $1500 for a lock. Perhaps a nice car would be good, then you could lock your bike up inside it.
Old 06-01-14, 08:39 PM
Orchestra

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by J.C. Koto
Get yourself one o' these bad boys and you'll never need to park your bike outside the store again:

Problem solved!
Hey now! I said I went to Safeway! If I could afford a luxury hybrid like that I would be shopping at Whole Foods. Oh to dream...
Old 06-01-14, 09:34 PM
Hangtownmatt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Looigi
Well...the OP was about bringing the bike in to a store, not prancing around in your kit. I assume if you're out on a ride and need to stop to buy some drinks, a snack or whatever, you're not going to have clothes to change in to so will be going into the establishment in your kit and cycling shoes (since shirt & shoes are the usual requirement, assuming of course you're wearing pants). If you are embarrassed about this or think other patrons may find it objectionable, so be it. I'm not and don't. Bringing the bike in is a separate issue. I'm not embarrassed or shy about that either.
Looigi - Not sure if you were responding to me or not, but if so I think you missed my point. And if you were responding to me ... where did I say I wore a kit and cycling shoes. I don't. This is a perfect example of one's ability to not see out of one's own box. That's assuming you were talikg to me.
Old 06-02-14, 06:07 AM
jdon

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Is this thread about watches or bicycles?
I thought it was about Whole Foods. Just take your bike in. If you have a good sweat going, they will welcome your stink as you will fit right in.
Old 06-03-14, 11:14 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
My wife and I ride with another couple for weekday evening meals at the Whole Foods close to the OP. I am the one who schlepps the various locks and whatnot to enable the others to not worry about their bikes once we've arrived. We use the provided bike racks. Our bikes combined would be less than $7500, though.

Generally, it's safe enough to lock the bike at WF and go in for 45 minutes or so.

Admission of guilt here, as I would not bring my bike inside regularly, but have on occasion when I'm not carrying a lock. I set it aside in a portion of the cafe where it's not in anyone's way. I'm not aware of offending anyone or causing any disturbance in having brought it in.
Old 06-03-14, 11:33 AM
Dave Horne

Bikes: Van Nicholas (Titanium) Deveron, Pinion 18 speed, Gates belt, disc brakes; Brompton - 5 speed Sturmey-Archer

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't know why you guys don't buy those ring locks that are permanently mounted on the frame. (I've given my views on this before ... sorry.)
Old 06-03-14, 12:12 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Horne
I don't know why you guys don't buy those ring locks that are permanently mounted on the frame.
You don't know why? Think about it for a while...then come up with your five most likely reasons. I'd venture to guess that they'll cover 99% of the objections to that type of lock mechansm. Give it a try, you'll surprise yourself!
Old 06-03-14, 12:16 PM
Little Darwin
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by daihard
IMO, that should be the case. A bicycle doesn't take as much space as a shopping cart.
Well, not if it is by itself, but remember that people push a shopping cart from behind, a bicycle is usually pushed from beside, and not too close, or you hit your shins on the pedals...

I don't have a high value bike, but I have had to stop and go into stores a couple of times without my lock, and I considered paying a kid a couple of bucks to watch my bike, but with my luck, I would get the honest looking kid who would just say to himself, "$2 and a bike... what a great day!" So I just leave my bike, and deal with the anxiety that I may be walking instead of riding after I leave the store. So far I have been lucky.

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 06-03-14, 12:57 PM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Hangtownmatt
Looigi - Not sure if you were responding to me or not...
Not specifically . I was referring to situations that I find myself in where I may want to bring the bike into an business establish, which would be on a road ride.
Old 06-03-14, 01:05 PM
deeth82
Dirty Schwinn-Lover

Bikes: '11 & '13 Schwinn Racers, Takara (Kent) Kabuto, '11 Gary Fisher (Trek) Marlin SS 29er, Schwinn Sanctuary Cruiser, '11 Schwinn Sid, Firmstrong Chief 3-spd, '10 Schwinn Corvette

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I typically lock my man-servant to the front of the bike while entering Whole Foods. He has been trained on how to fight hand-to-hand whilst wearing a bike on his back, and the system works flawlessly!
Old 06-03-14, 02:17 PM
Dave Horne

Bikes: Van Nicholas (Titanium) Deveron, Pinion 18 speed, Gates belt, disc brakes; Brompton - 5 speed Sturmey-Archer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't know why you guys don't buy those ring locks that are permanently mounted on the frame. (I've given my views on this before ... sorry.)
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
You don't know why? Think about it for a while...then come up with your five most likely reasons. I'd venture to guess that they'll cover 99% of the objections to that type of lock mechansm. Give it a try, you'll surprise yourself!
I've had two bikes stolen from me in the last 20 years. The first bike was standing on my front porch at my previous address and was locked only with a ring lock. It was also insured _because_ it had a ring lock and I could provide both keys. There's a slightly different mentality over here regarding bike insurance; all bike stores work with large insurance companies to provide insurance.

The second bike was stolen in a much larger city and was also locked with only the ring lock. Had that bike been attached to something else, it would not have been stolen. I freely admit that.

A ring lock is always attached to the bike and does add much weight to the bike. If someone steals that bike they will have to pick it up and either carry it or throw it in a truck. One would hope that would attract attention.

My current bike cost €4300+ and of course has a ring lock as it's required for my insurance. I also have an Abus U lock which doesn't always travel with me. It adds substantial weight and I only use it when I think the bike might be in a questionable place. On the other hand, my bike is insured for complete replacement from the dealer so I don't really worry that much about bringing the Abus U lock.

If someone wants to steal your bike, they will, regardless of the locks. My father-in-law would always say, opportunity makes the thief. A ring lock might make someone think twice ... and most ring locks allow you to plug in a chain into that lock for additional protection.

Last edited by Dave Horne; 06-03-14 at 03:16 PM.
Old 06-04-14, 02:30 PM
Condorita
Grammar Cop

Bikes: in my sig line

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Silly me: I always have a lock with me.
Old 06-04-14, 02:40 PM
alaskanb3arcub

Bikes: Forest Green Dahon Boardwalk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Problem solved!
Heh... that Shopping Bike was made by someone from my hometown...
Old 06-04-14, 05:27 PM
cw_

Bikes: Leader 725 / Pake Rum Runner

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Problem solved!
Bahahaha! That's awesome.

I usually bring my bike in any place I go to (usually just places I run in and run out real fast). No ones ever told me anything. Just get looks here and there. I've heard many stories of peoples bikes getting stolen, especially with locks attached to them. Rather be safe then sorry.
Old 06-04-14, 11:22 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I've had two bikes stolen from me in the last 20 years. The first bike was standing on my front porch at my previous address and was locked only with a ring lock. It was also insured _because_ it had a ring lock and I could provide both keys. There's a slightly different mentality over here regarding bike insurance; all bike stores work with large insurance companies to provide insurance.

The second bike was stolen in a much larger city and was also locked with only the ring lock. Had that bike been attached to something else, it would not have been stolen. I freely admit that.
This seems to be an excellent answer to your question as to why most here don't use ring locks. I always use a lock that attaches the bike/wheels to a relatively unmovable object and have had no bikes stolen in the last 20 years. Nor have I paid for any extra insurance (or had the insurance cost included in the bike price if provided by the bike dealer). The lock I use most frequently is also lighter than a ring lock (and can be dispensed with entirely on rides where I know I won't be locking up the bike).
Old 06-04-14, 11:28 PM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Originally Posted by prathmann
This seems to be an excellent answer to your question as to why most here don't use ring locks. I always use a lock that attaches the bike/wheels to a relatively unmovable object and have had no bikes stolen in the last 20 years. Nor have I paid for any extra insurance (or had the insurance cost included in the bike price if provided by the bike dealer). The lock I use most frequently is also lighter than a ring lock (and can be dispensed with entirely on rides where I know I won't be locking up the bike).
Which lock do you use that's lighter than a ring lock? I'd love to buy one myself.

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
Old 06-05-14, 12:53 AM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by daihard
Which lock do you use that's lighter than a ring lock? I'd love to buy one myself.
As I said, it's the one I use 'most frequently' - it's not the one I use when locking up for extended periods or in questionable areas. For quick convenience store stops in areas I consider pretty safe I use a very light, but rather insecure cable lock. If more protection is called for I supplement it with a U-lock that's unfortunately far heavier than a ring lock. But I feel that even a thin cable lock securing the bike to a sturdy pipe or rack is better than a ring lock by itself where the bike can quickly be tossed in a pickup and be gone. Conditions may well be different in the Netherlands where 1) I saw far fewer pickups and 2) people would probably view such an act with more suspicion.
Old 06-05-14, 04:06 AM
Dave Horne

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The nice thing about the ring lock, it's _always_ on the bike, you never forget to bring it.

Most ring locks allow you to insert an additional lock that plugs into that ring lock.

Having said that ... again, my bike is insured for full replacement so I really only concern myself with always locking the bike with the ring lock. As long as I can provide the two keys that came with that lock, the insurance makes good.
Old 06-05-14, 04:28 AM
Dave Horne

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I posted this on facebook but don't recall if I posted this here. (If I did, sorry.)

Old 06-05-14, 01:15 PM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

The nice thing about the ring lock, it's _always_ on the bike, you never forget to bring it.
Where does a ring lock normally go on a bike? I've seen pictures where a ring lock is attached to the seat tube with an attachment. Is that typical?

Old 06-05-14, 03:34 PM
Dave Horne

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
daihard, this video should make everything clear.

All the bikes I've owned here have the lock mounted as you see in that video

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.