Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Nuovo Record RD, FD and new triple cranks?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Nuovo Record RD, FD and new triple cranks?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-24, 02:16 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 920 Times in 447 Posts
The Velo-Orange Grand Cru triple cranks are back in stock - just bought one - 48-34-24.

For keeping the Campagnolo crank, plus one on the Red Clover Triplizer:

Red Clover triplizer with 49-42-28 rings

My original derailleurs were the first Suntour Cyclones. I kept the front, which works fine for a triple, and switched to a V-GT Luxe in the rear to get the extra range. A 14-28 freewheel gets me a 1:1, 27" low gear. It will take down to a 24T ring.
Likes For Fredo76:
Old 01-10-24, 02:25 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4512 Post(s)
Liked 6,387 Times in 3,672 Posts
Originally Posted by bulgie
I like to add sprung top-pivots to '60s-'70s Campy racing derailers, to make them act more like the Simplex or Shimano of that era. Not sharing this as advice, that'd be terrible advice. It's impractical. Just wanted to show an example of the absurd lengths some anoraks are willing to go to.

For example, here's my NR that's been hot-rodded with a Rally sprung upper pivot, and a SR pulley cage:

Here it's reaching fairly easily to a 31t cog, the largest Regina ever made for the old 'Oro' freewheel. It also hits 32t no problem, didn't try it on 34 but I think it'd work. The short cage still limits the range in front, but I can also put a Rally cage on it. OK, then it's just a Rally mech with an NR outer parallelogram link, but with a little extra coolness factor. BTW both pivot bolts on this one are Ti, made by Jim Merz.

A little more wacky, here's a bronze and steel Record mech that's had the sprung upper pivot from a Sport (not Gran Sport) grafted on. I show it in big-big and small-small, where it works fine, with a 30t freewheel and a 28-38-49 triple, slightly lower than 1-to-1 low. Note how the whole parallelogram swings fore and aft on that upper pivot, which a normal Record or NR can't do.

Basically, it's a more-durable Simplex Prestige. Oh and check out that drillium Stronglight 93 triple while yer at it. Note it uses only '70s Stronglight parts, down to the bolts. So it could have been done BITD, though I don't know if anyone did. Goes down to 28t.

If that's not enough gear range, I can easily bolt on a long cage from an early '70s Crane GS. It bolts right on*, like it was made to fit!

I don't know the max range for this, but here it's easily shifting to a 34t cog, with 20t range in front (26-36-46), and capacity to spare. It's all period-correct for an early-'70s bike, all parts that existed back then and could very well have been assembled like this BITD. Dunno if anyone did.

* OK it doesn't quite bolt right on, it does require about 10 seconds of work with a dremel, to knock down the rotation-stop nub on the Crane cage, which otherwise gets in the way of the spring-cover cap on the Record. If you take off the minimum amount, then the nub stil functions 100% on the Crane, so this is fully reversible. Pic to show where to remove metal:

Adding the "Pawn" bolt from the Record as a cage-rotation stop is optional, only comes into play when removing the rear wheel and putting it back in, has zero function while riding. But it's also a one-minute job if you own an M5 x 0.8 tap, which anyone who would take on this crazy grafting project certainly already owns.

BTW adding the Crane cage to a Record is a good hack even if you aren't grafting on a sprung upper pivot. The cage is MUCH easier than the grafting mod, and reversible, no derailers are harmed.

Lastly, here's a Gran Sport, the '50s-'60s racing mech, also with the top knuckle of a Sport grafted on:

Haven't put this on a bike yet, but I expect it'll have almost but not quite as much range as the Record, and the Crane GS cage doesn't bolt right on like it does on the Record. Still, a nice "secret weapon" for an Eroica bike, for someone not as slim and masochistic as they were in their younger years.

Bob Freeman, who made himself some Rally-clone cages and then got Soma to make them, has put Rally-clone cages on Gran Sport mechs, ask him how. It's not a simple bolt-on, the thread is different, so you'll have to be comfortable with drilling and tapping on your brand new Soma cage.

Seriously though, don't do any of this. It's way more work than it's worth. Just get a derailer that was made to work with lower gears.

Oh about the front derailer: I've always just used a stock '70s Record. It works great with a 20t spread or even more, but I seldom want more than 20t, so I haven't tested the limits. I have a feeling (correct me if I'm wrong) that most people who say it's not for triples are just assuming, without ever trying one. Anyone here actually found the Record unsuitable for triples? If so, in what way?
IMO and I know I'm well in the minority here, this is the best use of a long cage Crane, cannibalize it.

I have never had one work well for me, probably just me.
Old 01-10-24, 03:18 PM
Portlandjim

Bikes: 1946 Holdsworth Cyclone, 1969 Cinelli SC, 1972 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Merz road bike, 1974 Alex Singer Sportif, 1974 Merz track bike, 1975 Teledyne Titan, 1976 Ritchey road bike, 1977 DiNucci built Merz track bike, 1977 (?) Exxon Graftek, many more!

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 1,431 Times in 174 Posts
I have this extremly hard to find T.A. Specialties Zephyr Triple Crankset and a matching Phil sealed bearing BB set that would fit the bill. 170 arms 50-38-26 rings. BB rings are English threads. It's dirty as shown, but in very good condition. BB is smooth and without play. This set came off a Merz bike I restored, I installed a NR crank and BB. The TA Zephyr is fairly rare, it's a high quality item made in France not China. Bicycle Recyclery had this crankset (https://bikerecyclery.com/nos-take-o...bcd-48-38-24t/), it sold for $300 without a BB. I'm asking $225 for my crank and BB, shipping should be around $15.

The rings are marked 11 speed, but they work just fine on a vintage drivetrin with any 8 speed chain. This crank would require a long cage rear derailleur, a NR rear is not going to work.

Jim Merz

Last edited by Portlandjim; 01-10-24 at 03:27 PM.
Likes For Portlandjim:
Old 01-10-24, 03:28 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1181 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,076 Posts
Originally Posted by jonwvara
Sometimes I think we just like to hear ourselves talk.
You say that like it's a bad thing!
Old 01-10-24, 05:00 PM
jonwvara 

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 660 Times in 351 Posts
You say that like it's a bad thing!
I'm picturing a T shirt:

On top, in big letters, it says Bike Forums Classic & Vintage

Under that, smaller, Help! I'm typing and I can't shut up!

Maybe a cartoon graphic of a guy sitting at a computer, with a couple of drops of cartoon sweat flying off his forehead?I

"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long."
--Ogden Nash
Likes For jonwvara:
Old 01-10-24, 05:37 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1181 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,076 Posts
Originally Posted by jonwvara
I'm picturing a T shirt:

On top, in big letters, it says Bike Forums Classic & Vintage

Under that, smaller, Help! I'm typing and I can't shut up!

Maybe a cartoon graphic of a guy sitting at a computer, with a couple of drops of cartoon sweat flying off his forehead?I
Reminds me of this one, one of xkcd's most popular:

EDIT: rude of me not to include the link. https://xkcd.com/386/ Mea Culpa!
Please go buy his books etc.

Last edited by bulgie; 01-10-24 at 07:13 PM.
Old 01-10-24, 07:07 PM
jonwvara 

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Reminds me of this one, one of xckd's most popular:

Ha!

--Ogden Nash
Old 01-10-24, 07:45 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,376 Times in 1,580 Posts
Reminds me of this one, one of xkcd's most popular:

EDIT: rude of me not to include the link. https://xkcd.com/386/ Mea Culpa!
Please go buy his books etc.
In this case, someone on the internet was right.... go buy one of Randall Munroe's books!
Granted, they are a bit techie in nature, but he's a great science communicator.

I was lucky to pick up a copy of his "How To" book at Barnes and Noble, where they had signed copies!!

Just to keep this vaguely on topic, he did do a cartoon on the subject of Road Space Comparison. Go check it out.

edit: this one is actually appropriate for C&V! .. Timeline of Bicycle Design....

Steve in Peoria

Last edited by steelbikeguy; 01-10-24 at 07:52 PM.
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 01-11-24, 12:13 AM
yonelwa

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Thanks for everyones replies! I didn't think this thread would get so much feedback, but I'm really appreciative. Pretty funny towards the end as well - yup I was stunned into silence, but mostly lost. I haven't decided what I'll do and I'll probably go through this thread another 10 times before I do, but I've got a left field idea that I hope will inspire even more debate!

What I was thinking was leaving the RD untouched, keeping the old but pretty much brand new Sontour 14-25 cassette, getting the Blue Lug cranks but removing the outer chain ring, replace that with a chainring guard and run it as a 2-by with a 118mm BB instead of the 122mm recommended for triples by Blue Lug - this will give me 14 - 25 on the back and 26 - 36 on the front and a 21T chain wrap with room to swap the 36T chainring for something in the 40's maybe with room to increase my chain wrap to 28T (so I'm guessing I can go to 42T?). Basically my days of pedalling down hill will be over and I won't have a nice small-big gear ratio, but 14/36 small-big seems less stressful than 25/42 big-small, and I can always swap out the 36T 110 PCD chainring.

Another reason why I like this is because when the chainrings get worn I can swap them out easily by replacing the middle 36T for something like a 32T (which I will be using as the second big chainring at first), take off the smaller chainring and use the largest chainring (the 48T that'll come with the crank, but which I won't be using at first and will keep in my parts bin). This will make a new double ... like 36 or 32T to 48T. But I'll probably need a 122mm BB because I'll be using the two bigger rings of the triple instead of the two smaller.

Also, if I can find a granny gear for sale I can replace the 26T for something similar, replace the middle ring for something better than the 36T and run something like 26 - 42T potentially (and keep the 118mm BB).

This way I'll be able to use the NR RD unchanged for the rest of my life. I also plan to keep the NR crankset and use it if I come across any issues with keeping this Blue Lug crankset running (despite the difficult gear range). I'm really partial to the NR RD look - it's just crazy looking to me and I love it's reputation. It's something I'm proud to own (I got this bike for 500NZD, about 300USD). I'll post a pic of the bike when it's up and running. It is a real stunner and I'm just glad that it's running decently because if everything turns to crap I can just run the Campy stuff and destroy my thighs on some hills and walk up a few if need be. Cars hardly drive up them anyway and I don't care about impressing some cows.

Cheers guys, awesome thread!
Likes For yonelwa:
Old 01-11-24, 05:07 AM
ehcoplex 

Bikes: '38 Schwinn New World, ’69 Peugeot PX-10, '72 Peugeot PX-10, ‘7? Valgan, '78 Raleigh Comp GS, ’79 Holdsworth Pro, ’80 Peugeot TH-8 tandem, '87 Trek 400T, ‘7? Raleigh Sports, ‘7? Raleigh Superbe, ‘6? Hercules

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1,563 Times in 757 Posts
See, that's the spirit! Convoluted and complicated experimentation/evolution involving the delicate balance of aesthetics, originality, era-appropriateness, economy, nostalgia, availability, style, (perceived*) practicality and the reality of age-related limitations/diminishment! Only point I'd make is that if you're running the triple as a double using the middle and inner rings you likely still need the longer BB spindle to clear the chain stay. Actually, it's possible you'd want an even slightly longer one to get the chainline just right...

*perceived, 'cause if we're honest about it, it's a real stretch to justify C&V as 'practical'...
Likes For ehcoplex:
Old 01-11-24, 06:35 AM
Garthr

Bikes: Franklin Frames Custom, Rivendell Bombadil

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 127 Posts
Why would someone buy the SOMA RD cage ?

I bought the Soma long cage as I have both a NR and SR rd just sitting unused as they have for years. I have lots of racing FW's also, but I now live in very hilly terrain and a 12-24 FW doesn't quite cut it. Sure I could sell them, but from my experience of selling things just to sell them isn't always a great idea. I've sold other SR parts from a complete group I once had, but I could never part with the derailleurs, shifters, brake levers or posts. ((( shrugs ))) Not to mention all the SunTour freewheels. I'm also a curious type, never afraid to try things. On paper the SOMA long cages are just pie in the sky, look great but how does it actually taste ? I'll find out ! That these RD's require more overshift, no problem as far as I'm concerned. Maybe it just won't work as I'd like, it's not the end of the World, I've done dumber things I have one bike with a modern LX 581 rd and 9sp cassette and it's my least favorite as the shape of the cogs are designed for indexing, hence, they move from cog to cog very easily with little if any trimming. That's not what I prefer out of friction shifting though.

We all have out ways of doing things, for sure. Hey, if we had a sticky post for the best way to hand wash dishes, it would never end, like chain lube talk never ends. That's because there's infinite ways of doing anything. That's pretty cool actually I've never done anything the exactly the same way twice.

I still prefer 7sp FW's anyways, at least here in the C&V section there's people who can relate and understand that more/new-er isn't necessarily better or even a good idea. To me the whole mis-understanding of parts is the placing a "time" label on the them. What's that to do with the functionality of the part ? Nothing ! Either something works or it does not. Time/dates/labels/logos have nothing to do with actuality, functionality right here/now.
Likes For Garthr:
Old 01-11-24, 07:16 AM
jonwvara 

Originally Posted by yonelwa
Thanks for everyones replies! I didn't think this thread would get so much feedback, but I'm really appreciative. Pretty funny towards the end as well - yup I was stunned into silence, but mostly lost. I haven't decided what I'll do and I'll probably go through this thread another 10 times before I do, but I've got a left field idea that I hope will inspire even more debate!

What I was thinking was leaving the RD untouched, keeping the old but pretty much brand new Sontour 14-25 cassette, getting the Blue Lug cranks but removing the outer chain ring, replace that with a chainring guard and run it as a 2-by with a 118mm BB instead of the 122mm recommended for triples by Blue Lug - this will give me 14 - 25 on the back and 26 - 36 on the front and a 21T chain wrap with room to swap the 36T chainring for something in the 40's maybe with room to increase my chain wrap to 28T (so I'm guessing I can go to 42T?). Basically my days of pedalling down hill will be over and I won't have a nice small-big gear ratio, but 14/36 small-big seems less stressful than 25/42 big-small, and I can always swap out the 36T 110 PCD chainring.

Another reason why I like this is because when the chainrings get worn I can swap them out easily by replacing the middle 36T for something like a 32T (which I will be using as the second big chainring at first), take off the smaller chainring and use the largest chainring (the 48T that'll come with the crank, but which I won't be using at first and will keep in my parts bin). This will make a new double ... like 36 or 32T to 48T. But I'll probably need a 122mm BB because I'll be using the two bigger rings of the triple instead of the two smaller.

Also, if I can find a granny gear for sale I can replace the 26T for something similar, replace the middle ring for something better than the 36T and run something like 26 - 42T potentially (and keep the 118mm BB).

This way I'll be able to use the NR RD unchanged for the rest of my life. I also plan to keep the NR crankset and use it if I come across any issues with keeping this Blue Lug crankset running (despite the difficult gear range). I'm really partial to the NR RD look - it's just crazy looking to me and I love it's reputation. It's something I'm proud to own (I got this bike for 500NZD, about 300USD). I'll post a pic of the bike when it's up and running. It is a real stunner and I'm just glad that it's running decently because if everything turns to crap I can just run the Campy stuff and destroy my thighs on some hills and walk up a few if need be. Cars hardly drive up them anyway and I don't care about impressing some cows.

Cheers guys, awesome thread!
Welcome back, OP! I thought we had left you choking in the dust of our verbiage.

In the spirit of complicating things, you might also consider the approach you've outlined above, but using your existing Campagnolo crank with a bash guard in the outer position, 42-tooth triplizer in the middle position, and your choice of a 74 BCD inner ring, which could be as small as 24 teeth. It's a pretty simple conversion, but you would need a longer bottom bracket spindle. Here's a link to a longer (and longer-winded) description:

https://www.redclovercomponents.com/...compact-double

--Ogden Nash
Likes For jonwvara:
Old 01-11-24, 11:55 AM
jeirvine 

Bikes: '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '72 Gitane tandem, '72 Raleigh Super Course, '73 Raleigh Gran Sport, '73 Colnago Super, '76 Fiorelli Coppi, '78 Raleigh SBDU Team Pro, '78 Trek 930, '81 Holdsworth Special 650B, '86 Masi GC, ’94 Bridgestone RB-T

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked 520 Times in 281 Posts
I'm late to the party, but I will say I have NR front and rear units shifting fine on my Motobecane: 38/52 in the front and 13-28 in rear. 28 is the limit to what I've found to work in the rear. But any triple or compact double with a 14-tooth overall difference in front should work with that rear cluster.
Old 01-11-24, 06:31 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7349 Post(s)
Liked 2,474 Times in 1,437 Posts
I loved those old derailleurs. They were beautiful and durable. I worked in a bike shop that sponsored bike racers, and I noticed the Campagnolo stuff would stand up very well to brutal crashes. But nowadays, I would not want to use it. They didn't work that well, and they don't shift the kinds of gears most of us want nowadays. If you can get them to work, great, but I won't bother.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider: