Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Replace the outer chainring with a chainguard

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-10, 07:35 PM
earthworm94

Bikes: 2007 Schwinn Le Tour

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Is there such part that allows me to replace the outer chainring and bolt on a chain guard? The kind of riding I do rarely calls for the outer chainring so it might be practical to replace it with something that can keep my pants clean...
Old 09-03-10, 07:58 PM
CCrew
Older than dirt

Bikes: Too darn many.. latest count is 11

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Sure. Very common in the MTB world, commonly referred to as "bash guards". Problem being that you have to have A: replaceable chainrings and B: Be able to get them in the BCD of the rings you have.

Some selections: https://www.jensonusa.com/search/?s=bashguard
Old 09-04-10, 08:00 AM
jharte
Long Live Long Rides

Bikes: 1988 Specialized Rockhopper Comp, converted for touring/commuting. 1984 Raleigh Team USA road bike.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I decided on my commuter/tourer that I didn't use the outer chainring at all. I took it off and ground the teeth off. Now I have a nice chain guard. This setup worked out well for me (and it was free).

Jerry H
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
000_0011.jpg (103.5 KB, 82 views)
Old 09-04-10, 09:45 AM
earthworm94

Bikes: 2007 Schwinn Le Tour

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jharte
I decided on my commuter/tourer that I didn't use the outer chainring at all. I took it off and ground the teeth off. Now I have a nice chain guard. This setup worked out well for me (and it was free).

Jerry H
What tools did you use and how long did it took you? I thought about that but grinding steel is probably gonna take a long time...
Old 09-05-10, 01:33 PM
Giro

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice CNC machined chain ring guards ("Driveline chain guard") on eBay

There is a Taiwanese manufacturer of some very nice CNC machined aluminum chain ring guards listed as "Driveline chain guard" on eBay. Mounting bolts and spacers are included; has notch to accommodate the pin on the adjacent chainring. I and some other cyclists on another board have been very pleased with them. Available various colors and in larger sizes than you can typically get for BMX (e.g. 53 tooth size). Currently listed example.
Old 09-05-10, 04:37 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Cyclo cross racers often run single ring setups with say a 42 or 44t chainring . I got a 110 for the 38t one to use on My Rohloff bike
from https://www.cyclocrossworld.com/
have a highly polished one on the 52 36 t setup I made up with a 144 bcd type campag triple.. as a double..
Old 09-05-10, 04:57 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by Giro
There is a Taiwanese manufacturer of some very nice CNC machined aluminum chain ring guards listed as "Driveline chain guard" on eBay. Mounting bolts and spacers are included; has notch to accommodate the pin on the adjacent chainring. I and some other cyclists on another board have been very pleased with them. Available various colors and in larger sizes than you can typically get for BMX (e.g. 53 tooth size)
Giro, can this guard be used in addtion to the regular outer chainring? I.e. with a triple crankset can it function as the fourth outermost ring? The spacers and the cutout suggests that this would be the case. Could there be a dependence on the crank in this?
Old 09-05-10, 06:18 PM
mickey85
perpetually frazzled

Bikes: 1977 Bridgestone Kabuki Super Speed; 1979 Raleigh Professional; 1983 Raleigh Rapide mixte; 1974 Peugeot UO-8; 1993 Univega Activa Trail; 1972 Raleigh Sports; 1967 Phillips; 1981 Schwinn World Tourist; 1976 Schwinn LeTour mixte; 1964 Western Flyer

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 2_i
Giro, can this guard be used in addtion to the regular outer chainring? I.e. with a triple crankset can it function as the fourth outermost ring? The spacers and the cutout suggests that this would be the case. Could there be a dependence on the crank in this?
There's one from Velo Orange that's a bit smaller (46 tooth max, I think?) that allows the use of two chainrings - just get taller bolts and stick it on

https://www.velo-orange.com/suchgu.html