Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Commuting route selection

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-13, 08:07 PM
jenrick

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

In about two weeks I'm going to start commuting to work via bike. I have a pretty straight shot to work (literally 4 turns), and it's a hair over 10 miles. The entire way to the office I've got a normal or wider sidewalk available to me to ride on. In various fits and starts there is a bike lane for about 1/3-1/2 of the total distance. My initial plan was to ride the sidewalk the whole way there (legal in my city), however I got to thinking about going through cross streets.

I've got enough of a problem not getting cutoff or t-bonded from folks turning into or exiting from cross streets in broad day light on my road bike wearing the brightest road clothes I can find. That's when I'm in the bike lane where people know to look. In the early (still dark) morning, is it going to be worse being on the sidewalk where people don't expect me? Should I stick to the right lane (and bike lane when available of course), and just ride like normal, or should I go with the sidewalk and just be extra vigilant at cross streets? Which one will be the safer option? If I do go sidewalk, should I ride with or against the flow of traffic? I can see where facing all oncoming traffic would make spotting people entering or exiting off a course street a lot easier.

Thanks,

-Jenrick
Old 03-20-13, 08:23 PM
tergal

Bikes: Trek 4300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would stick to the lane/bike lane just to be predicable . Also as many light and shiny/blinking things as you feel are needed to make you seen .

The two biggest problems i find with sidewalk riding are people backing out of their drive way , they tend to back out to the end of the driveway at breakneck speed them stop to look for cars and bikes , which is unfortunately about 2 meters over your body .

The second is people , people are unpredictable to the extreme you never know if they will step in front so you have to ride slower and with greater care.

I would try both and see what you like and what feels safe, as you get faster the sidewalk will feel like it is slowing you down.
Old 03-20-13, 08:46 PM
megalowmatt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I also would stick to the bike lane as opposed to the sidewalk.

It's probably a good idea to ride it once or twice when when you don't feel the pressure of getting to work like on a Saturday or Sunday just to get a feel for the lay of the land as they say.
Old 03-20-13, 08:50 PM
GregTR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd ride the road and bike lane and avoid the sidewalk. And +1 on the lights. Double up at the very least!
Old 03-20-13, 08:55 PM
jenrick

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As far as I've ever noticed there are no residential driveways, the street runs straight through a commercial district.

Good point on doing a route recon. I was thinking about doing that this Friday as I'm off of work and it'd give me a chance to check out the ride. Maybe do it at lunch when traffic will be worse, but I'm at least visible.

Interesting that everyone is recommending the roadway, I had figured the sidewalk would get the nod. I don't mind riding in the road at all during the day, I guess I'm just hesitant about being in the road when it's dark, regardless of how well lit I am. I've worked too many auto-bike collisions at night I guess.

-Jenrick
Old 03-20-13, 09:00 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Assuming you're well lit, you'll be more visible in the dark than during the day. Jeez, 10 miles on sidewalks? I'd rather take the bus.
Old 03-20-13, 09:57 PM
CommuteCommando

Bikes: KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
There are some sections where I hit the sidewalk, but only if absolutely necessary. When riding sidewalks there are times, more often than not, that I have to slow down and be hyper vigilant, especially around driveways and intersections. I would rather hit the street and go much faster. I am fortunate that my regular routes are bike lanes and trail all the way.
Old 03-21-13, 06:42 AM
jrickards

Bikes: 2012 Kona Sutra, 2002 Look AL 384, 2018 Moose Fat bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Pedestrians on a sidewalk are expected to slow and look when they reach a cross street to see if there is any traffic coming and if not, then they are safe to cross. Cyclists on sidewalks tend to ride as if the sidewalk is an additional roadway lane and not slow and look for traffic at each corner. Cars expecting sidewalk users to slow and look and give way to them at a cross street may run over cyclists that don't slow at cross streets.

Secondly, when a car slows to make a right turn, it approaches pedestrians, walking in the same direction, from behind. Bikes are faster than pedestrians and as the car slows to make the turn, a bike may suddenly appear as it approaches and passes the car from behind. Cars making a left turn will look a bit ahead to watch for pedestrians at or near the cross street and may not look further down the sidewalk for an oncoming bike.

A cyclist that takes the lane or uses a bike lane on the road is expected to behave (and be treated) as a vehicle, not a pedestrian.

I say, if you must ride the sidewalks, use it as if you were a pedestrian, not a vehicle.

I may be wrong or it might be more of a local law, but I believe that cyclists crossing streets from sidewalk to sidewalk are required to walk their bike across. Maybe that's just for the safety of kids but it is something to consider.
Old 03-21-13, 07:46 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I think you would be safer riding in the road or bike lane rather than sidewalks. The problem with sidewalks is that cars pulling out or turning into side streets, parking lots and driveways often don't look for (or expect) bikes on sidewalks. Drivers are focusing their attention on traffic approaching on the roads, not the sidewalks. Even if they see you, they usually will block your path when pulling out. A better approach is to ride on the roads or bike lanes and make yourself very visible with a good light system and brightly colored clothes.

There are reasons why bikes are generally not supposed to ride on sidewalks. In addition to the reasons listed above, you always have the danger of hitting pedestrians, runners, etc. Of course, there are always exceptions to the rule, and sometimes the sidewalk is safer than the road -- particularly on roads under construction or in some cases very narrow ones.
Old 03-21-13, 09:14 AM
CommuteCommando

Bikes: KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by jrickards
Pedestrians on a sidewalk are expected to slow and look when they reach a cross street to see if there is any traffic coming and if not, then they are safe to cross. Cyclists on sidewalks tend to ride as if the sidewalk is an additional roadway lane and not slow and look for traffic at each corner. Cars expecting sidewalk users to slow and look and give way to them at a cross street may run over cyclists that don't slow at cross streets.

Secondly, when a car slows to make a right turn, it approaches pedestrians, walking in the same direction, from behind. Bikes are faster than pedestrians and as the car slows to make the turn, a bike may suddenly appear as it approaches and passes the car from behind. Cars making a left turn will look a bit ahead to watch for pedestrians at or near the cross street and may not look further down the sidewalk for an oncoming bike.

A cyclist that takes the lane or uses a bike lane on the road is expected to behave (and be treated) as a vehicle, not a pedestrian.

I say, if you must ride the sidewalks, use it as if you were a pedestrian, not a vehicle.

I may be wrong or it might be more of a local law, but I believe that cyclists crossing streets from sidewalk to sidewalk are required to walk their bike across. Maybe that's just for the safety of kids but it is something to consider.
^ What I said, but in much better detail.
Old 03-21-13, 09:46 AM
jrickards

Bikes: 2012 Kona Sutra, 2002 Look AL 384, 2018 Moose Fat bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by CommuteCommando
^ What I said, but in much better detail.
I guess +1ing this is like friending yourself on Facebook or highfiving yourself in public.
Old 03-21-13, 03:37 PM
globie

Bikes: 2011 Surly LHT, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2004 Giant Cypress, 1990 Simoncini Super Professional

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Definitely explore route alternatives, and be willing to add mileage in return for low traffic. It took me a couple months to fine-tune my route, taking maximum advantage of parks, campuses and quiet neighborhood streets. It may be a mile or so longer than the major arteries, but it's infinitely more enjoyable.
And stay off the sidewalks. Drivers aren't looking for you there.
Old 03-21-13, 06:25 PM
jenrick

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some good explanations, thanks all. I drove to work about the same time I would need to do so one a bike this morning, and took note of traffic etc. There's one long section of sidewalk that apparently is officially a bike path that I'm going to use, but beyond that the road looks good. Fortunately not to many folks are driving to work at 530 AM. I'm off tomorrow and am going to ride out there and back in the afternoon just to see how it goes in heavy traffic.

-Jenrick
Old 03-21-13, 06:54 PM
tergal

Bikes: Trek 4300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jenrick
Some good explanations, thanks all. I drove to work about the same time I would need to do so one a bike this morning, and took note of traffic etc. There's one long section of sidewalk that apparently is officially a bike path that I'm going to use, but beyond that the road looks good. Fortunately not to many folks are driving to work at 530 AM. I'm off tomorrow and am going to ride out there and back in the afternoon just to see how it goes in heavy traffic.

-Jenrick

It may sound horrible to do , but do it 3 or 4 times in a row . That will give you an idea of how buggered you will be come Friday afternoon . This will let you also work up a few alternate routes in your head. I was caught out last week, a road was blocked due to a fire and i had to guess my way home as i didn't know the back streets.

I will freely admit my friday night right home is at least 20 mins slower as i roll along and look at the scenery .
Old 03-21-13, 07:18 PM
haplorrhine
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
More problems with the sidewalk:
If there are driveways, people may have their cars parked over the sidewalk, forcing you to stop and walk around their car.
It's often difficult to get the attention of walkers from a distance. Expect to slow down a lot when going past walkers.
People walking their dogs are a greater nuissance since you don't want to run over the leash and choke the dog.
Something is different about sidewalk/bike-path asphalt that makes it difficult to maintain high speeds.
Sidewalks typically don't get salted in the winter time.

I try to use neighborhood routes so I can feel completely secure using the street. Map websites like google maps can help you plot out such routes.
On main roads, I felt more secure after I perfected my backward glance. If I'm going fast enough, I can get a good backward glance without swirving. Maybe this was only a problem because I wear a backpack...

Last edited by haplorrhine; 03-21-13 at 07:25 PM.
Old 03-21-13, 09:06 PM
SpeshulEd 

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
mapmyride.com is handy if you have a smartphone you don't mind having on your handlebars for a bit.

That's what I used to plot out my commute. I attempted the fewest miles at first but found myself on all of the busiest roads, often without bike lanes and fearing for my life. Now it's a nice cruise through some residential neighborhoods and only a mile on side street that is treated like a highway.

Old 03-21-13, 09:24 PM
jenrick

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't really have a choice on route selection. The only other streets that cross the highway are even larger/busier then the closest. At the time of morning I'll be out and about (0545) or so, there is almost no pedestrian traffic, and actual traffic is pretty light. Good point to who ever it was, that in the dark with appropriate gear you're even more visible then during the day. I hadn't considered that, and that made me feel better about being on the road proper in the dark morning. The plan currently is a glow-vest around my back pack, and one on my self, plus front and rear lights on the bike. Probably add an LED head lamp and red flasher on my bag too.

-Jenrick
Old 03-28-13, 02:20 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
I cringe when I hear "riding on the sidewalk". that's fine though if you are prepared to dismount and walk across every intersection! NOT!
Old 03-28-13, 02:32 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by jenrick

-Jenrick
That's fine in my opinion but you still have to be more careful and probably slower. Except when traffic is jammed up and you breeze past them on the sidewalk, a guilty pleasure which I still enjoy.