Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Need a bit of advice - 1st Road Bike

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-14, 02:52 PM
mox1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've read a lot of the other threads about this topic, but I'm still looking for a bit of help.
So I'm looking to purchase my first "real" road bike. I had an old 70-80's style steel framed bike last summer and had a fun time on it.
My goals are to ride on the weekends / after work for fitness purposes. This will not be a commuter bike.

I don't really want an older bike, I really would like something with an aluminum frame, built within the last 10 years. I've been scouring Craigslist for the past week or so, but in my town (Boston), everyone wants like $$$$ for everything. So far every bike close has been 200-300 over Bike Blue Book value and they aren't coming down.

This sort of has me really thinking new. I really don't want to spend more than $500, $400 preferred. I would really like to purchase something solid that I can slowly upgrade the parts on.

My current leads are:

1. $500 for a "Jamis Ventura sport" from Eastern Mountain Sports: JAMIS Ventura Sport Road Bike - Eastern Mountain Sports

2. A "Vilano" from Amazon Amazon.com : Vilano Aluminum Road Bike 21 Speed Shimano : Road Bicycles : Sports & Outdoors
3. A "Giordano Libero 1.6" from Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Giordano-Liber...6926252&sr=1-7
4. Something from bikes direct (I know this is a hot potato, I've read all about them). My issue with Bikes direct is that there's like a million choices, I have no idea where the "sweet" spot is for that place.

5. Other!?!?!

Either way, I want to buy a bike and ride it once a week (~20 miles) for the rest of the summer. Then this winter I can start planning upgrades and such.

I'm fairly mechanically inclined, but I'm factoring in a $100 put the bike together fee for Bikes Direct, not sure if EMS will give it a good once over.

Basically, can someone recommend to me a good solid aluminum framed bike, that I can get into Road Biking with and upgrade over the next few years?

I really have 0 interest in all carbon fiber stuff. A little extra weight means a better workout for me

Last edited by mox1; 08-01-14 at 02:53 PM. Reason: misspelling!
Old 08-01-14, 03:43 PM
RNAV
Flyin' under the radar

Bikes: '15 LeMond Washoe custom painted, '06 LeMond Croix de fer custom painted, '18 Specialized Crux

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 23 Posts
Personally, I think you'd be better served holding out for a used bike off Craigslist . . . possibly even off ebay. You'll be able to get a higher-quality bike if you wait for the right deal.

That said, Nashbar has this bike for sale. Has Shimano Sora & a carbon fork . . . the carbon isn't so much for weight savings as it is to help absorb some road vibration.

As an alternative, you could try to pick up a used steel road bike. Generally speaking, steel road bikes have a more comfortable ride than aluminum bikes -- and since weight isn't a factor for you, I'd say it's worth considering.
Old 08-01-14, 08:16 PM
EastTNrider

Bikes: 2012 Wilier Izoard XP

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^^^agree with the above statements from RNAV. The biked you linked to are ok but if you're looking to keep the frame and build on it for a while then I would really try and grab something off CL or ebay. The frames on the links you sent are going to be heavy, uncomfortable aluminum in the long run. You'll be surprised how quickly you'll want something better as you gain ground in the sport (I know I have).

Steel bikes are a sold option as well. They are def heavier but their vibration absorption and comfort are great. Look for CL ads that have been re-posted several times with or without price changes. Those people are more willing to lower their price
Old 08-01-14, 09:34 PM
LGHT

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL3, Nishiki Pro Hybrid SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I was pretty much in the EXACT same boat. I found a fuji that was great, but it was setup as a commuter and after ridding that for 6 month I upgrade to a Specialized Roubaix Comp. Wow what a difference. Ultegra shifters / brakes and all carbon frame is a big difference. I paid a hair over $500 for the bike from the police department. The bad thing is it was previously stolen, but the good thing is the bike sat in impound unclaimed for a few years so it had very little use on it. A couple of new tubes and a tune up and it rides like a dream! I've seen the same bike on ebay for almost double so the deals are around if you don't mind waiting..
Old 08-02-14, 11:05 AM
mox1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok so I guess I can have some patience and keep looking. I'm just getting very discouraged with the craigslist prices..

For example, this guy is selling his 10 year old allez A1 sport for $550! For $200 more I can probably walk into the bike store and a get a new bike....

This Cannondale 2005 R700 CAAD 5 SI 56cm guy want $640 for a 2005 R700 CAAD 5. Isn't that a bit high?

Jamis ventura comp. road bike. all stock components. - Another used bike for $640, probably go buy that new for $750!

Am I wrong that these prices are crazy? Should I just suck it up and buy something?

Can someone recommend a popular older bike that I can watch for on ebay / CL and hopefully pick up for < $500
Old 08-02-14, 02:11 PM
NormanF

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
If you want a fast bike on a budget, buy a flat bar road bike - AKA a fitness/performance hybrid.

Basically, you get a nice light frame with road bike wheels and a flat bar without the drop bar price premium.

I think that's sensible with your budget.
Old 08-02-14, 03:03 PM
RNAV
Flyin' under the radar

Bikes: '15 LeMond Washoe custom painted, '06 LeMond Croix de fer custom painted, '18 Specialized Crux

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by mox1
Ok so I guess I can have some patience and keep looking. I'm just getting very discouraged with the craigslist prices..

For example, this guy is selling his 10 year old allez A1 sport for $550! For $200 more I can probably walk into the bike store and a get a new bike....
Bicycle Blue Book is your friend. BBB lists that bike's value range between $231 in fair condition and $361 in like-new condition. If you're going to buy off Craigslist, and in your case you should, you need to be prepared to negotiate. You can always go see the bike in person, bring cash in hand, and say to the guy "Look, blue book says this bike is worth $310 in good condition. Here's $320 cash. Deal?" A good question to ask an unrealistic seller is this: "What are you basing your asking price off of? What are you using to determine this bike's value?" Remember, you're the one with the cash. A bike is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, and in this case, that's you.
Old 08-02-14, 04:00 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
As suggested, take a look at Ebay. Maybe look at a 50 mile radius under $600 ? You should get some results in Boston.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 08-02-14, 04:01 PM
Sdjclevland

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree a lot of craigslist stuff is expensive bike wise. I suppose if you are only going to ride 20 miles a week it doesn't matter. But if you gonna upgrade anyways I would just save a little more and get a nicer bike. Or wait for a better one on craigslist.

I was in same boat interns of wanting to buy a new bike and spend 400 bucks. Then I learned what a decent road bike cost and was going to settle on a allez. The. 800 dollar one. Then I caught a good deal on a new leftover caad ten which yes was more than I wanted to spend but I love the bike and I am so happy I got the better bike since I really have taken to cycling. Like someone said above, for 400 you can for sure find a used nicer hybrid or new one for that matter if you just doing 20 miles a week
Old 08-02-14, 06:03 PM
mox1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok so after doing a bit more research I've found out that I can order Diamondback bikes at a good discount (some weird thing through work).

What is the general consensus of DiamondBacks "Century" line, specifically - Diamondback Bicycles - Century 2
Old 08-02-14, 06:13 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Ok so after doing a bit more research I've found out that I can order Diamondback bikes at a good discount (some weird thing through work).

What is the general consensus of DiamondBacks "Century" line, specifically - Diamondback Bicycles - Century 2
That is a sweet bike. Diamondback offers very good value. 105 is as good a group of components as you will need for a long time to come. What can you get it for?

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...

Last edited by rpenmanparker; 08-02-14 at 06:23 PM.
Old 08-02-14, 06:19 PM
yajbuilder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi there!

I'm in boston too- I have also been put off by the ridiculous prices and crap on craigslist around here. I have been looking hard at the "bikes direct" bikes- not with the intention of being happy with them out of the box, but using one to build upon further with particular parts im particular about. (shifters, brakes, wheels, DROP bars... etc) I'd say with a fair confidence that even the 300-500$ drop bar aluminums' from motobecane and gravity are decent enough to start with.... then as you mentioned, save up a bit for what calls out the most for an update.

I like the bar end shifter upgrades available, as they are cheap and reliable, more so than those crappy sti shifters on the low end internet bikes.

that dimondback looks good to me with the 105 setup... but no room for fun tires later. (winter???) your call

but yeah.... just my $.02
good luck
Jay
Old 08-02-14, 07:12 PM
mox1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
That is a sweet bike. Diamondback offers very good value. 105 is as good a group of components as you will need for a long time to come. What can you get it for?
Right around $780 shipped I believe. It comes 80% assembled. I'm pretty mechanically inclined, but I will probably take it to a bike shop for a good once over.
Old 08-02-14, 07:17 PM
mox1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ahh good to know about the winter tires, but honestly I don't ever plan on riding in the winter. This is just for recreation / fitness.

I usually love using craigslist, I've bought tons of stuff on there (cars, motorcycles, instruments, etc). I don't know if its the time of year or what, but everyone just wants crazy prices for bikes. If I could find a quality 1-4 year old bike with a price near Bike Blue book I would do it, but at this point I'm heavily leaning towards something new.
Old 08-02-14, 08:37 PM
NormanF

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Good value priced endurance road bike line. Marin's Argenta A6 also has similar geometry and offers great bang for the bucks value.
Old 08-02-14, 08:44 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Right around $780 shipped I believe. It comes 80% assembled. I'm pretty mechanically inclined, but I will probably take it to a bike shop for a good once over.
You have got to jump on that baby. It is too good a deal to pass up. Just be very careful to get the right size. Study the Diamondback "geometry" (dimensions) and use some online sizing charts to get as close to right as you can. Remember that height is not all that it is about, but leg length, torso length, and arm length all are important factors. Perhaps you have a knowledgeable friend who can help you with size.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 08-03-14, 01:15 PM
mox1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
You have got to jump on that baby. It is too good a deal to pass up. Just be very careful to get the right size. Study the Diamondback "geometry" (dimensions) and use some online sizing charts to get as close to right as you can. Remember that height is not all that it is about, but leg length, torso length, and arm length all are important factors. Perhaps you have a knowledgeable friend who can help you with size.
So unfortunately after calling around to a lot of stores today, nobody has this in stock.

So I just went ahead and ordered a 56CM, which Diamondback says is for 5'9 - 6'0. I'm about 5'11, average build and such, so I think this will be fine. When I do spin class I like things a big more compact anyway, so I'd rather have it a bit small than too large.