Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

2012 Tour de France - Stage 20 - Rambouillet → Paris Champs-Élysées - Sunday July 22

Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

2012 Tour de France - Stage 20 - Rambouillet → Paris Champs-Élysées - Sunday July 22

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-12, 05:22 PM
K.Katso
Gold Member

Bikes: Pinarello Dogma F8, Pinarello Bolide, Argon 18 E-118, Bianchi Oltre, Cervelo S1, Wilier Pista

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jaaanosik
Nice sprint, nice win for Cavendish.
Sagan was the fastest after the last turn though.
Looking forward to the Olympics!
Hats off to Cav for a brilliant finish. I can't wait to see that Olympic road race too.
Old 07-22-12, 05:31 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Too bad there's no prize for being fastest when it doesn't matter.
Old 07-22-12, 08:15 PM
ericy
Señor Member

Bikes: Giant OCR2, Trek DS 8.3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Rhinelander
That's "Network" coverage for ya... and we were all hoping for a wardrobe malfunction
There was a point where the camera was following Cavendish, and off to the side of the road were quite a number of riders - all in the middle of a "nature break". Usually French TV quickly cuts away to another camera when this happens, but they missed it this time.
Old 07-22-12, 08:41 PM
900aero

Bikes: Pinarello FPQuattro, Giant XTC 29er

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The black guy in the t-shirt during the ceremony was the track sprinter Maurice Green who was there in some official role. Obviously didn't get/read the email about the dress code.
Maurice is not the current US ambassador to France although foreign policy might get a whole lot simpler if ex-Olympians were automatically made ambassadors for their countries.
Old 07-22-12, 10:41 PM
alpha_bravo
Mr. Sparkle

Bikes: 08 Specialized Allez Elite

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Looking forward to the Olympics!
Maybe I'm still in awe of his win on Friday, but it didn't look like cav was even trying the last 500 meters. He basically did the minimum that was needed to get the job done and succeeded.
Old 07-22-12, 10:52 PM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Actually, the bit I liked best about the finish was Wiggo"s lead-out. Just inside the final kilometer, Albasini was trying to muscle in at the head of the GreenEdge train. He was out of the saddle and sprinting flat-out, and Wiggins simply accelerated away from him through the corner without shifting from the saddle. There's a lot to be said for being Olympic champion at the pursuit...
Old 07-23-12, 01:44 AM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by nun
Wiggins didn't shake hands with Nibali or more interestingly Froome. I think Froome will be looking to break his 2 year Sky contract.
I noticed that too. But today I read this comment about the Sky team doctor:

Roger Freeman: Team Doctor. Freeman looks after Wiggins' physical health, ensuring he is fit for purpose for training and racing at all time. Has impressed on Wiggins that there can be no shaking of hands on tour, the risk of infection is too great
Old 07-23-12, 07:36 AM
Jaaanosik

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alpha_bravo
Maybe I'm still in awe of his win on Friday, but it didn't look like cav was even trying the last 500 meters. He basically did the minimum that was needed to get the job done and succeeded.
Sagan is learning. He was too much back in both cases, Friday and Sunday. If he stays right on Cav's wheel it could have been different story.
... or he'll do the same thing as Cavendish did on Sunday, going for a long 600-1000m attack.
Old 07-23-12, 07:43 AM
contango 
2 Fat 2 Furious

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport RIP

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Laggard
And talk about a horrible version of God save the queen.
Indeed. I have to say hearing Lesley Garrett howl her way through it I reached for the mute button. Given our national anthem was being sung, surrounded by Union Flags, on the most famous street in the French capital that shows just how bad I thought she was.
Old 07-23-12, 07:47 AM
contango 
2 Fat 2 Furious

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport RIP

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by nun
Maybe Lesley Garrett should have sung this (instead of God Save the Queen) as a tribute to Chris Froome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGAcH5KADGs
Maybe Lesley Garrett could have stayed at home and saved all of us the ordeal. The crowd could have sung our national anthem and not butchered it.
Old 07-23-12, 07:48 AM
contango 
2 Fat 2 Furious

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by chasm54
Actually, the bit I liked best about the finish was Wiggo"s lead-out. Just inside the final kilometer, Albasini was trying to muscle in at the head of the GreenEdge train. He was out of the saddle and sprinting flat-out, and Wiggins simply accelerated away from him through the corner without shifting from the saddle. There's a lot to be said for being Olympic champion at the pursuit...
I thought that was great too, seeing Wiggo leading out team mates for a stage win while wearing the yellow jersey was great. As the UK commentators said the yellow jersey leading out the rainbow jersey has never happened before. Lots of history made yesterday.
Old 07-23-12, 08:50 AM
nun

Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS, Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by contango
Maybe Lesley Garrett could have stayed at home and saved all of us the ordeal. The crowd could have sung our national anthem and not butchered it.
I had to switch channels when Lesley Garrett came on. I couldn't stand the singing or that Terrible Union Jack dress. If it was arranged by the French to embarrass the Rosbifs they did a good job; if it was set up in consultation with Sky I have to think Murdoch was behind it; and if anyone from UK cycling or the Ministry for Sports was involved they need to be sacked.

Here's a critic of the performance in the Telegraph. There's a poll at the end in which 96% believe that Ms Garrett's performance was awful.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/9...-ceremony.html

Last edited by nun; 07-23-12 at 08:55 AM.
Old 07-23-12, 09:33 AM
gregf83 

Sagan is learning. He was too much back in both cases, Friday and Sunday. If he stays right on Cav's wheel it could have been different story.
... or he'll do the same thing as Cavendish did on Sunday, going for a long 600-1000m attack.
You could say the same thing about every sprinter that loses: if only...

Cavendish went from around 300m not 600.
Old 07-23-12, 09:51 AM
nun

Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS, Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
You could say the same thing about every sprinter that loses: if only...

Cavendish went from around 300m not 600.
I thought Goss had Cav for a moment, but then Goss hit the wall and Cav pulled away. Sagan looked good, but left it too late. Sagan is a great talent, but I get the feeling that this year's early success and fame might just derail his progress. We'll see........can't wait for the one day classics.
Old 07-23-12, 10:13 AM
gregf83 

Originally Posted by nun
I thought Goss had Cav for a moment, but then Goss hit the wall and Cav pulled away. Sagan looked good, but left it too late. Sagan is a great talent, but I get the feeling that this year's early success and fame might just derail his progress. We'll see........can't wait for the one day classics.
Cav was sprinting on the right side so he had good visibility to anyone coming up on his left. It's quite possible he backed off a little when Goss faded and that's why Sagan gained a little ground at the end.